Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Try some dill - it's the 2010 Herb of the Year!: swallowtails

Communities > Forums > Article: Try some dill - it's the 2010 Herb of the Year!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Try some dill - it's the 2010 Herb of the Year!Replies: 21, Views: 119
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 7, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #7771583

I grow bronze fennel just for the butterflies it attracts. I will be on the lookout for this "well-behaved" Fernleaf dill as a companion!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7771848

I always grow dill and have never had a swallowtail (it may be the diesel fumes and car horns). And Fernleaf is just the fist short dill I heard of; when I made up my chart I was amazed to see such variety in cultivars! If you look in BugFiles everyone who talks about swallowtails grows dill or something like it. (Well, you and your fennel!) I just grow what is willing to grow ...

Thanks for your comment. Gwen. It's always good to hear from you.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 7, 2010
10:59 AM

Post #7772518

Luvly article dear Carrie. I'm adding bronze fennell and fernleaf dill to my garden this year for eats and for my flutterbys although I don't have swalltails.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #7772827

You may get them yet, Dahlia, dear! Thank you for the kind words.
diggo1
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7773650

Carrie, I grew mammoth last year. The monarch butterfly caterpillars attacked it but it did survive. It went to seed, and now it is shooting up in various places. I had already started 5 fern leafs. So I have a major dill outbreak. Can you say DILL PESTO!
I've heard this is good. I will try it and let you know. I have already done tzaziki??? a greek cuke dip. YUM!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7773690

Dill and cukes - yummy. Dill and carrots, yummy. Dill and pasta, yummy. Dill and salmon, yummy. Need I go on? Dill and sour cream, dill and vinaigrette, dill and potato salad ...
dfw_buffalogal
Denton, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2010
6:15 AM

Post #7779702

I was so excited to see your article about dill! I planted fernleaf in my brand new vegetable garden last weekend. Thanks Diggo1 for the reminder of tzazikki. Love, love, LOVE that sauce.

I've always been ruthless in cutting my globe basil back to keep it from bolting. Can the same be done for dill and keep it producing 'leafage' during the season? btw, I live in the Dallas Tx area. Hot, Hot, Hot here and things like to bolt early in a seeming effort to survive.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #7779983

I'm not sure; I know different cultivars produce more foliage vs. seeds and some people also suggest successive crops, the way you would with peas or beans. Or, in your case, a spring crop and a fall crop.

Lots of luck, and there's a lot about dill I didn't say!
mbasden
Beulaville, NC

May 10, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #7780396

I moved to a new house and started my herb garden and have dill and fennell as part of the garden. I know the butterflied will be attracted to the dill, so I will move the larvae to the fennell. I did this previously and the larvae actually moved back to the dill, sort of as a preference plant! Had to move them back! I have also planted parsley if both dill and fennell run out! I have planted Mammoth this year for foliage and height.
thea611
Manning, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #7780641

I grown my dill, fennel, parsley and rue JUST for the black swallowtails, I love them so much! I also love a big salad every night, but if I want herbs for it I either have to buy my dill or parsley, or use my basil; I'm so afraid of eating a butterfly egg or caterpillar by mistake, we need all the butterflies we can get! A few days ago, I was planting a new dill plant in my herb patch, and a mama BST was laying her eggs on an older dill plant. So nice to know personally who you work for!
Maria
Rehoboth, MA
(Zone 5a)

May 10, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #7780683

can't imagine being without dill, wonderful with any potato, especially the salad, just used it yesterday with cauliflower

gwen21

gwen21
Gurnee, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2010
12:09 PM

Post #7780840

Thea, I admire your dedication to butterflies. Since I started growing fennel, I have learned a lot by watching the eggs hatch and the caterpillars grow (and many times become prey). When you see what they are up against, it seems like a miracle that there are any butterflies at all. However, I would still prefer to eat the herbs I grow, since I know they're not treated with pesticides. You've seen a swallowtail already! I usually don't see them until the middle of the summer.

thea611
Manning, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #7781067

Yup, that's one of the nice differences between living in the South and living in my beloved New England, we have such a LONG season down here!! I've been raising the black swallowtails since we moved here three years ago, and have learned SO much from the butterfly forum folks here at Dave's, and trial and error. Including: when you run out of your own herbs to feed the hungry caterpillars in your butterfly-erarium, don't use the herbs from the store, because you're right, they're loaded with pesticides!!! They may not harm us humans (at least right away!) but they kill those poor little caterpillars. I found that out the hard way! I'm growing lots of the host herbs now, but the problem is, the more you have, the more eggs the butterflies lay! It's a fascinating, and vicious, and frustrating, cycle.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7781518

Oh, this is SO interesting to me, because while i can personally attest to what Maria said (hi Maria ~) I have only had hornworm caterpillars in my garden - yuck! Although I do live downhill from an "I can use more pesticide than you can" contest ...
thea611
Manning, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #7781753

I went out and cut off the newly opening flower heads from my dill after reading your article; I need my dill to last longer, for my black swallowtails! But the scent of the cut dill was so delicious, it made me hungry for it, on SOMEthing, ANYthing!! My mom always used it in potato salad.
Poor hornworms always get a bad rap, but I must admit, they still make me queasy! We always had them on the tomato plants when I was a kid, and now I find them on my brugmansias and daturas. You reach for a stem and touch a HUGE caterpillar, EEK!!! But they DO develop into neat moths.
Black swallowtail caterpillars are very pretty. And boy, can they EAT!!!
LOVIE2
Boston, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2010
4:50 AM

Post #7782684

I wish this thread was around last year! I mistakenly killed a swallowtail caterpillar thinking it was a hornworm. I was so sad and felt incredibly guilty. I was told to plant some fennel this year just for the swallowtails to eat instead I not only have fennel (which I'm praying makes it) I planted three times as much dill - both fernleaf and bouquet. I still feel awful about that little fat caterpillar! Thanks for giving me more insight!!

This message was edited May 11, 2010 7:52 AM
thea611
Manning, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2010
6:00 AM

Post #7782797

Lovie, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I still cringe when I recall a day 5 years ago when I still lived in CT. I had planted something new in my garden, and I went out one day and it was covered with tiny caterpillars. I figured they were about to destroy my new plant, and I squashed them all. A little later, I saw the same caterpillars in a friend's garden, and she said they were Monarch caterpillars. Oh boy, I felt so, so horrible!!!!! I never killed anything, I don't know what possessed me that day to destroy those little guys, unless it was because it had been a bad spring and I was tired of losing plants to weather, dogs, etc. But I think that's why I am so committed now to growing host plants for the butterflies, and raising them in a safe environment. I just can't forgive myself for what I did. Live and learn...so true.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2010
9:15 AM

Post #7783397

Thea, it sounds like you have more than atoned for your sin!

As I say, we've seen one (1) butterfly, 2-3 hummingbirds, and 2-3 of those really "nice moths" (before we tried to grow tomatoes ...) in my 16+ years at this address. The only caterpillars I ever killed were the hornworms after they killed my tomatoes! Many many bees and yellow jackets, the stinging kind! (As long as they only sting other people ... they're part of the ecosytem, but if they start developping an apettite for ME, someone will hear about it!)
LOVIE2
Boston, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2010
10:00 AM

Post #7783558

Carrie I'm not too far from you (Lower Mills) and I most definitely have had swallowtails and a couple of hummingbirds. Actually seen the black swallowtail in it's butterfly form but none ever stopped in for a bite unless they were in the caterpillar stage. Also I fully intend on encouraging mason bees to stick around. I came across one two weeks ago and was quite surprised they were in the area. I threw a dug up hosta on top of it by accident and the little worker shook it off and kept it moving! I just KNEW I was going to be torn up! Lol

This message was edited May 11, 2010 1:28 PM

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #7783620

Lower Mills? Well, you are a NEIGHBOR! For goodness sakes! Welcome! All those fly-byes, by you, hunh? I have to try harder!
LOVIE2
Boston, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2010
10:29 AM

Post #7783646

Thanks!! I do love this site!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2010
1:48 PM

Post #7784285

Hi, neighbor...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Try some dill - it's the 2010 Herb of the Year! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice! critterologist 3 May 7, 2010 6:47 PM
Agressive Dill WEED swamporchid 4 May 15, 2010 8:16 AM
Use your dill seed Texan99 1 May 10, 2010 7:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America