Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Mid-South Gardening: More chit chat 3

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 252, Views: 1,240
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 7, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #7771633

My goodness we do talk a lot !!!
I wanted to wish all the MOM'S a very Happy Mother Day this Sunday and hope you all enjoy your families.

Thumbnail by slcdms
Click the image for an enlarged view.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #7771709

Same here from me! Happy Mother's day, everyone!

Thanks Sandra for starting this thread. I just had to take the time to show y'all what is blooming in my garden this morning! LOL It's a Kathy Ann plant! :o))

Thumbnail by marsue

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 7, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #7771740

Oh not--the monster hollyhock is taller than Kathy Ann--LOL_LOL_LOL
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 7, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #7771759

Wow -- that is some holly hock! Sandra that rose is absolutely gorgeous... which one is it??

Genna
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #7771783

Genna hopefully you get to go to the powderpuff game, if not and you're still on the computer, there are some nurseries along the way between Caddo Valley and Hot Springs on Hwy 7, I always stop and check out the goods when I take a drive. I think there's one in Bismark and two others on the way to Hot Springs, or at least there was last year.

That's a gorgeous rose!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 7, 2010
7:41 AM

Post #7771889

That is Mr. Lincoln in bud
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
8:23 AM

Post #7771981

Mr. Lincoln is very handsome!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2010
1:24 PM

Post #7772872

Kathy Ann told me that she is 4',10 1/2" tall, so now you know just how gi-normous that hollyhock is--and it is loaded with buds!
Mr. Lincoln is very handsome, indeed!
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #7772937

Marilyn - I want one of those KA plants. Think you can dig me one up ?

That Mr. Lincoln is very nice.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 7, 2010
2:07 PM

Post #7772975

Or maybe she can propagate that KA plant... I want one too...just THINK of how much stuff we could get done if we all had our own personal KA!! ^_^

I might have to add Mr Lincoln to my want list... that is really nice and I have heard that Mr Lincoln is supposed to smell really nice too.

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 7, 2010
2:21 PM

Post #7773022

Me too, Genna. lol I think all of us could us a KA.
I told Ray yesterday I needed a wife , too. Maybe I ccould get caught up then. NOT!

Terrye
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #7773123

That KA is the best looking thing posted in a long long time, LOL!

Mr. Lincoln looks pretty good but can't hold a candle to KA.

Happy Mother's Day to all you Moms, Grandmoms, and fill-in Moms.

E

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 7, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #7773170

Well, I came face to face with a copperhead this morning, so I promptly sent Jerry to town to get the flea and tick stuff we always put out. The last 2 summers we have used it and I did not see one snake, now one already. I made a picture with my cell phone and Jerry said yes, it was a copperhead.
He is mowing now and will put the stuff out tomorrow, after the rain moves through tonight.
It was short and fat--
Cindy, I got all my bulbs put out today !!! Hooray for me !!!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #7773182

KA and I are home from our 10 nursery in 1 day trip! We both got a few things...I needed to get my usual bedding plants, so I bought those and a few new named things ;o) As always, we had a blast!!

My haul minus some plants that KA brought to me...

Thumbnail by duckmother

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7773191

LOL, y'all. I suppose we could clone KA --do you think she would let us do that? ROFLOL

Sandra, you are going to have to call Debra and get some advice from her. She has "met" several snakes in her garden this spring. She even took out some of her flower beds to discourage the snakes. I don't think it worked. :o(( She lives in the "boonies" like you do and lots of trees surround her house.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7773203

We crossed, Kim. I was wondering if you and Kathy Ann had made it back from your nursery hopping tour. I am assuming you found the nursery in Conway without much trouble? It certainly looks like you made quite a haul: begonias, impatiens, coleus, is that a Gerbera Daisy (red)?
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
3:56 PM

Post #7773228

Yes, we found it with ease. The Gerbera is tagged Dark Eyed Scarlet. As a matter of fact, I bought it in Conway.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #7773298

Hey I'm home, but will be back in a bit. Have to go unload plants.

love the holly hock,

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 7, 2010
4:20 PM

Post #7773317

I am in for a Kathy Ann clone too, she could be so happy here with all that needs to be done around here !
The stuff we put out seems to work, we had just failed to get it broadcast this year. We have used it for 2 summers and not seen any.

Kim, I can just see all those beautiful plants on your patio this fall, they were so pretty last year. I wish I could have kept all those coleus you gave us alive.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7773322

Well, I've put it off long enough--gotta go mow the yard. BBL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #7773352

Just make her skinnier and hotter LOL WE want a hot skinny little mama 4 foot l0 l/2 ROFL

I had a great time today, got a case of double vision at the end, but I made it home ok and it's gone now. Here's my haul. Love that huge begonia in there. got 3 or 4 new sedums I didn't have. That made me happy.

I also took alot of pics of the yard today, For bonnie, since she's not goin g to be able to come to my house in June. I'm going to post them on FB but will try to post them here too later on tonight.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #7773359

Marilyn bought me this cute little plaque, which so very true!!

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #7773360

Here's that begonia, I'm going to have to post it in the begonia forum to see if i can get it id'd it's huge

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #7773361

Some stuff for a few containers. My containers here are doing quite well. growing like weeds. I think we're about to have some more rain.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7773368

Here's a picture of my $7 basket from Lowes last night - I'm not sure what he meant by them being all beat up! He said these were regularly $20 baskets. I love the petunias in this one.

This message was edited May 7, 2010 6:41 PM

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7773378

You got the pretty much picasso super tunia in that basket. I'd say you did fantastic. that's a brand new petunia this year.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7773538

What should I do about my poppies, we've had an aweful lot of rain and more coming, their turning yellow and the tops of some of them are turning brown.. should I use some sort of fertilizer on them?

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010

Post #7773540

i'll go post my yard photos in the June pics thread
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #7773544

Glad you made it home, KA...and feeling better! I don't think you bought as much as me! You need to put that sedum on the succulent forum and see what it is. That stinker should not have taken out the tag!!! Too bad we could not find those phlox in a smaller container. I will keep a look for them. I am going to Pittman's in 2 weeks so, send me the names and I will look there for ya.

Karen, you got a great buy! Which Lowe's? lol I may need to run by there ;o)
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7773589

yeah, those phlox were beautiful. I really wanted that grape lollipop one, oh well.

I'm pretty sure that sedum was novem. i doubt they could id it it looks too much like alot of other purple ones.

I am goin g to try to get that begonia id'd though.

I can't remember the name of the salmon colored one, but that other one was cotton candy and grape lollipop
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #7773688

Hey thanks for the id on that one KA - I told Janie I thought it was a supertunia but I don't know much about those. I am super excited about that. I did see one of the new plants I had in the fall slide show at some garden center the other day. I think it was the yellow petunia.

Just as I went to post the picture of my $2 Presto Coreopsis we had a power outage - yucko but here we are again. These came from the Lowe's in Bryant. They seem to do a LOT of clearance stuff!

Thumbnail by kjuddy

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 7, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7773691

Do you think it is the heat, instead of too much water? We have had a very hot week for this time of year. For the poppies, I mean

Did you start a June thread already? LOL
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 7, 2010
7:59 PM

Post #7773962

Kim - you going to Pittman's in magnolia??

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #7773977

I lost you all! But here you are! I want one of those wife's too Terrye!!!!
That hollyhock is incredible Marilyn!!
It's a long story - too long to explain here - but my phone is literally falling apart. I ended up talking to a tech guy on the phone after it was connecting me to a Cricket number this morning that told me there was a problem with my account. I was dialing my home number when it did this and not only was it connecting me to cricket when I called my house, I don't have cricket service but Sprint!! Anyway the guy told me they would replace my phone at no charge (I don't have insurance - but I did have him look up when my contract expired). So I had to go over to McCain in N. Little Rock because the Sprint store in Little Rock does not have a service department. Then they kept telling me I was going to have to pay 119.00 - they finally hit the next button on the computer and found out that I was right!! The lady helping me was having a real attitude problem and when she discovered I was right she turned beet red including her arms!!!LOL I had my afternoon totally planned and this little problem totally changed all my plans. I was so frustrated with it all that when I got through with them I ended up going plant shopping!!! Now I have to go back over there Mon or Tues and pick up my new phone.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
8:20 PM

Post #7774033

Karen when do you want to get your obedient plant? I can just put it in front of my garage and you can just PU if I'm not here.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2010
8:29 PM

Post #7774051

LOL that's a no on the june thread, I postd on the may continuation thread LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 7, 2010
8:45 PM

Post #7774100

Please don't rush winter--we just got over it-LOL
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
3:29 AM

Post #7774468

Charlotte if you'll just set it outside I'll come by sometime this weekend and pick it up - THANKS!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
5:32 AM

Post #7774624

WE're getting ready for Amber's College Graduation this morning.

Here's what I got Charlotte yesterday wit h Kim

3 ornamental pepper plants going to do an arrangement with them
begonias several kinds sinbad and river nile is 2 of them
sedums novem, lynda windsor, mr postman, lemon ball and moonlight serenade
campanula dickson's gold
hydranga semme's beauty looks alot like the oakleaf alice, I hope their not one in the same.
scuttelarrias 3 colors, these things are cute, going to do a container with them too
mother fern
echinacea hot papaya
new guinea impatients peach/pink colored and
pink annual verbena
and sweedish ivy all 3 of these are for a container too

I htink that's it,

kim gave me cuttings off all her coleus a nd some tomatoe plants and a hosta and some peacock fern.

I'm good to go for a while now LOL

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7774714

You got some good stuff. I got a few things to put in containers too yesterday. I did buy heuchera crimson curls. I really liked the way it looks. I have some I need to dig up and move and I'm going to put them all together. I'm going to sweep the floor and then I'm headed outside.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
9:38 AM

Post #7775192

The wife thing is too funny I used to say that when my kids were little and I was going a million directions - I need a wife to do all those wifey things so I can do the things I like to do.

KA looks like you got a haul - now you gotta plant till ya drop!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
1:07 PM

Post #7775590

She did it!! My Harding Cum Laude Graduate!! She graduated with Honors, 87 people out of over 600 had a 3.5 gpa, 41 had 3.7 and 50 had 3.9

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
1:45 PM

Post #7775650

Kathy Ann that is terrific!!! I know you are proud of her!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 8, 2010
2:32 PM

Post #7775711

I have forgotten, what was her major? Does she have a job secured yet?
She looks so happy and I know you are too.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7775744

She's still working at Harding university now, but doesn't want to stay there. She's looking at other options now. Her major is Food & consumer science.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 8, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #7775777

Of course, I knew that, but had forgotten. I am glad she has a job of any kind, and will also be glad to report when Jerry gets one, he has one more day of school--he has to go Tues for one test and then he is done with his.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 8, 2010
3:06 PM

Post #7775782

Since everyone loved Mr. Lincoln's bud, here he is opened

Thumbnail by slcdms

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
5:38 PM

Post #7776153

Hey Kim, is this the plant that you gave me a bunch of seeds for. you pop the seeds and they fly everywhere, I forget the name of the plant, you offered seed again. I was just wondering if I had broad casted the seed and didn't realize it, I thought these were zinnias, but they don't look like it.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #7776203

KA - that is wonderful!!! Congrats to all. That is soo exciting!!

Beautiful Sandra!

Happy Mother's Day to all - hope you have a day full of blessings and love!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #7776220

LOL They are touch-me-nots or balsams.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7776230

So I guess I did plant them after all. cause their coming up out there LOL
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #7776315

KA, congrats to Amber. I know ya'll are very proud.

Sandra, I was spreading mulch in a couple of beds last week and I found 2 snake skins wrapped in shrubs. Now where are those dang snakes? One of the skins was around 3 or more feet long. I'm hoping it was 'Buddy' the black snake that hangs around.

Charlotte, you deserved a little plant therapy after going through that mess with the folks at the Spring store. I personally think the whole cell phone business is a racket. I can never figure out the double-speak they use and have sat down and tried to figure out all their plans and what you get charged for, etc and it's never clear. Makes me mad!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7776433

One thing I did learn in the phone fiasco is to call the service department before you go into the store. If I had not called and talked to them before hand, I would have had to pay to have my phone fixed or either buy a new one. My phone is 3 years old and they act like it is ancient ! I think they make them to self destruct in about a year!!! My phone case is literally falling apart - it is cracked and has pulled apart on the sides - that why the antenna fell out! I've been with the same carrier for 12 years or more and I want to do some checking around when my contract expires. With the new phone I'll be able to do that as I only have about 10 months until my contract expires.

Like that Mr. Lincoln Sandra!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 8, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #7776451

I have always used ATT--it used to be the only carrier around here that you could get any service. they only give a years warranty on their phones too.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
7:42 PM

Post #7776474

They are replacing my 3 year old phone for free! I asked him to look up when my contract expired. He could see that I was a long time customer that was obviously unhappy was probably why he waived the charge to fix or replace the phone.
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

May 8, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7776523

Just got in from a long good day with my 2 best buds. I'm wore out and i know they are. Went went to Ritas and then to a new place we found. Here Bonnie is with some of the goods from Rita's.

Thumbnail by obbirds

obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

May 8, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7776530

Here is a pic of Dutch Gardens. Next time we plan a run we need to be sure to hit this place.

Thumbnail by obbirds

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7776535

What is the really big leaf thing in the front of Bonnie's basket!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 8, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #7776544

It looks like some kind of begonia. That looks like a great place Kenny.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #7776553

Bonnie, what didyou get at Rita's? That is a begonia in the front of her basket. it's beautiful

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 8, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7776563

Where is Dutch Gardens, and why have you not already taken us there???????????

This message was edited May 8, 2010 10:14 PM
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

May 8, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7776585

Dutch Gardens is in Jackson also. We never had been till today. The prices where good so I am sure we will go back. It was a pretty good size place.

Thumbnail by obbirds

duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #7777057

Oh boy, a new place! Looks like y'all got some great stuff! KA, you ready for another road trip? LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #7777209

I've sent a few dmails out this morning to folks, that's how I got Debra's attention about the garden party at my house, but some don't have their address listed and no way to send dmails. So i'm posting this link here

for Karen, and a few others if you've missed the thread, there's a Garden get together at my house on June 5th.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1093804/

Join us if you can.

Happy Mothers day to all the Mothers out there. Hope you ladies have a blessed day!!

it's goin g to rain here today. 60%
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2010
8:15 AM

Post #7777381

Happy Mother's Day...it is your day, so do whatever makes you happy!!!

Thumbnail by duckmother

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2010
10:40 AM

Post #7777704

Look at all those plants!! Man I wish we had some extra $$ I could go blow LOL!

Kim and KA you both did good! Wow!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Mother's Day!
justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
1:28 PM

Post #7778017

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY everyone!

Definitely, when in Jackson, Dutch Gardens and Rita Randolph's are not to be missed! And the UT Research Station - they don't mind if you take cuttings as long as you do it on the backside of the plants. :-)

JustFurKids Carol
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #7778664

Well KA - I couldn't tell you what all I got at Rita's now. I did end up coming home with several new hydrangeas and some new euphorbias. I got one of Rita's giant euphorbias. We will see how long it lasts for me tho. Congrat on Amber's accomplishments and grad. I know you are very proud of her. Family picture is very cute of the 3 of you.

Sandra - I wanted to go to Dutch Gardens when we went to Rita's, but we couldn't have done all that and Homestead. Figured most everyone would not want to miss Homestead. But, I wasn't sure Dutch would have been worth it, until I went there this weekend - now I know we should go there BEFORE we go to Ritas. I spent wayyy too much money this weekend. Almost makes me sick to my stomach.

I am really telling myself... no more ears and forsure no more annuals !!!!!

Hey Carol - Hope you had a furry, happy Mother's day too. You are amazing with the work you are doing with your dogs !
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7778783

Nice to see you, Carol!

What? No Ears? No Annuals? Blah, Blah, Blah...That is a pie crust promise...easily made, easily broken ;o)

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #7778790

Pie crust promise! I've never heard that saying before, but I like it!!!
I just don't want to ever add it all up! Some this week, some next week - somehow doesn't seem as bad that way!
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #7778801

LOL Me either ;o)
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #7779707

I know Charlotte - that is apparently how I feel too (while I am doing it). lol

Kim - just call me flip-flop. I may be trying to get rid of all my ears by the time they all have to go to the greenhouse. lol.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #7779871

I can't remember who asked about the 'ditch daisies' real name, but my wildflower book says they are Oxeye Daisies.

Love that 'piecrust promise' saying, and I've not heard it before either. Is that a reference to a flakey promise, LOL?

Carol, good to hear from you! I hope everyone has noticed Picabo (Betty) posting. They are fine, but were without power til a couple of days ago.
Elaine
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2010
9:40 AM

Post #7780347

Congrats to Amber, and to the rest of your family. Kathy Ann! I suppose Darren's graduation is next?

The ox-eye daisy does look like the one I have. The info says it is also a "marguerite".

Another nursery? That is just what all you folks need that are addicted to plants. Certainly not me! LOLOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 10, 2010
10:07 AM

Post #7780456

So now we can quit calling it ditch daisy and call it either marguerite or Ox eye
Whatever it is, it is a beautiful daisy, just likes to spread itself everywhere.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #7780627

Darren's Graduation is tonight. I hope we're done then LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #7780646

Congrats to him, too!! Is he going to college next year?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2010
11:51 AM

Post #7780777

Votech in searcy,
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2010
11:51 AM

Post #7780781

and if he doesn't get his drivers license he'll be walking l2 miles both way s to school. I hope that's incentive enough for him to get with the program. it's time, I'm not able to cart him to school and back next fall. LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2010
12:43 PM

Post #7780909

Yep, that should be incentive enough! LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2010
1:24 PM

Post #7781006

I made some chives today with my left over green onions out of the garden,

they 'd make nice gifts too. I'd hav eto order more containers though LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2010
1:57 PM

Post #7781120

Congrats Amber!!!!! Congrats Darren!!!!!

KA great idea! My dad's girlfriend should have done that with her son, she waited until he was 22 before she decided that it was a problem, at that point he refused to do any housework, yard work, get a job, learn to drive, take care of anything. In fact, it got so bad my dad asked him for help getting some empty boxes out of the attic, he refused saying it was too much work for his arms to handle. She ended up physically throwing him out, of course she rented him an apartment, and a year later he moved back home, but at least he works and drives now, and lost his attitude.

Don't know why I went on that tangent LOL!!
Ems_Garden
Slidell, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #7781344

Congrats KA - two graduating at once - oh my! your household has certainly been busy! I know you have to be very very proud of them! Great idea with the chives.

Hope everyone had a great Mother's Day. We went to Johnny's brother and sister in law for a bbq for lunch and then I cooked dinner and the kids and grandkids came over in the evening. Great times at both!

Johnny and I went to a garage sale Saturday and I found a great bargain! Gardening and cooking books for $1.00! I got The Southern Living Garden Book, S.L. Garden Problem Solver, Perennial All-Stars, Identification, Selection and Use of Southern Plants, Rodale's Natural Landscaping and a 2005 Cooking Light Annual Recipes! Was happy to hand over that $6.00!

Terrye - so sorry you won't make it to Jeri's - we will miss you!!
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 10, 2010
4:43 PM

Post #7781526

Great find on the books! Don't you just love it when then happens.

Thanks, Em. I'll miss you guys too. Maybe next time...

Terrye
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2010
6:33 AM

Post #7782883

I'm not going to be able to make it to Jeri's either :*( I was really hoping to go but with Dave out of work it's just not going to happen, the money is just not there. Hopefully next time.

WOW nice Em! That's great!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 11, 2010
6:42 AM

Post #7782919

Congratulations Kathy Ann! I know you are so proud of both of your graduates! Good luck to her on finding a job that she wants! What will Darren be studying at Vo-tech?

Sandra - the Mr Lincoln is just as lovely when it opens up. Isn't it very fragrant too?

I have a feeling I am going to be totally overwhelmed when we get to Forest Hills... we have such a limited nursery selection around here!

Kim - I never saw your answer... are you headed to Magnolia to Pittman's next week?

Genna
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2010
7:05 AM

Post #7782999

Dave's showing interest in going to the Steak Cookoff in Magnolia this coming weekend... hhhmmmmmmmm that would be delicious!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #7783081

Well, if you do go to the steak cook-off, eat a big bite of steak for me! LOL
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2010
7:31 AM

Post #7783099

Sorry, Genna. I thought I answered but...yes, I am going to Pittman's in Magnolia. Our state MG meeting is there this year and (I guess) we get to go in all of their GHs and to each location...I think there are 3 sites.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 11, 2010
8:49 AM

Post #7783308

Wow - that will be fun!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2010
10:08 AM

Post #7783581

Darren is going to be studying computerized machining.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 11, 2010
11:36 AM

Post #7783794

Jerry finished his school today----now for a job
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2010
11:46 AM

Post #7783836

That's great, I hope he finds a job soon.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 11, 2010
12:05 PM

Post #7783880

Good for him Sandra! What is Jerry's degree in?? I will keep him on my prayer list to find a good job!

Computerized machining sounds good! My husband used to teach robotics, CNC, PLCs and several other courses...

genna

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 11, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7784218

He went through a 2 year tool and die course. He has in a lot of applications and we are hoping someone calls soon.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2010
1:59 PM

Post #7784328

Well it costs $15.00 pp to get into the steak cookoff and Dave won't go for that, so fooey!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #7784582

Kim in your nursery rounds, have you been to 4 Season in Gravel Ridge? I was talking to a lady this afternoon and she was telling me how great their plants are this year. Really healthy. She said they have about 7 greenhouses. I've been there but it has been 6 or 7 years ago. I just forget about it. I don't remember there being that many greenhouses the last time I was there.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #7784972

Congrats to Jerry and to you, Sandra! I know you are both ready for him to find a job! We'll be praying for just the right job to come his way.

A nursery in Gravel Ridge? How come I never heard about it till now? :o))

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2010
7:41 PM

Post #7785251

Marilyn if you are coming from Little Rock you go through the stop lights in Gravel Ridge and outside Gravel Ridge you will see a sign on the left. You turn down that road and probably less than a half mile is a nursery on the right. I had totally forgotten about it until the lady was telling me about the wonderful plants she brought there this year. She said she got some knock out roses that are just really putting on a show. She said they have done so well she went back and bought her mother 2 for mother's day.
JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 12, 2010
5:02 AM

Post #7785811

Charlotte, is that the one on Hatcher Road? It sits behind a house?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2010
5:31 AM

Post #7785880

Check out how much more growth is in the old greenhouse area of these photos. it looks like it's got 5 years worth of growth there instead of just going on 2 years now. and the other pic is alot older part of the garden.

Ash must help LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2010
5:31 AM

Post #7785883

another view of the gh area,

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2010
5:33 AM

Post #7785888

And look at all the space here in this area. there's no free space in that gh area at all. not a hole anywhere.

had a lady came by at almost dark last night and I shared some plants with her out of the garden here and she said wow, you have no weeds LOL I said she wasn't looking close enough or either that, she didn't know which were weeds or flowers lol

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2010
5:33 AM

Post #7785892

I have a bloom on one of my bombast poppies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait. it's so exciting. LOL

I'm going to plant those hens and chicks poppies next winter.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2010
6:13 AM

Post #7785985

Janie that is the one! I couldn't think of the road, but it is Hatcher.

Boy Kathy Ann that area has really taken off!
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7786000

Ash, huh ? You maybe starting something KA. Your sewer lines aren't under that are they ? lol. Very impressive !!! I would be out there just sitting all day. Imagine all the hummers, butterflies, and bees, just waiting for more blooms to pop open. You probably attract them from all surrounding counties.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7786104

Yes to all questions about Four Seasons Nursery ;o) I was there yesterday! Betty, does have around 7 GH. There is a new nursery on the main hwy right next to her street. However, it has the usual plants...they have a landscaping business and I think are using it as a right-off. Anyway, if you are going towards the air base and pass that nursery, go back one street ;o) She used to have a little roadside stand on the lot of the old Twin City Drive-In, but when Khol's bought the land, Betty had to go. So many people wanted her plants, she decided to sell from her home...and has she grown! She usually starts having bargain tables around the first to middle of May and continues to mark down until gone. She also has dirt, mulch, windchimes, etc.

I am off to the big boats...Tunica. LOL Be back later...earlier if I run out of money ;o)
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 12, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #7786124

Kathy Ann that ash is probably very beneficial. I remember when Mt Saint Helens erupted in Washington state , I had relatives who lived there who said everyone was worried about the apple crop - it is a BIG industry there! Anyway, they had the best harvest ever the next crop and they attributed it to the ash!

My Dad used to take the ash from our fireplace (and later woodburning stove) and spread it in the garden.

Genna

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 12, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #7786170

It is beautiful--didn't you put compost on top of the area before you planted it ?
I remember some of the elders talking about a "new ground" patch. They always thought that they would get more harvest from a spot that had never been planted before.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2010
7:14 AM

Post #7786177

I need to go check her out. Sounds like she has certainly grown since I was there. I remember it being behind her house, but only remember 1 maybe 2 greenhouses. I think I discovered her late in the season and don't remember a lot being there. But that was 5 or 6 or maybe more years ago. There is are used to be another nursery on a hwy between Cabot and I40. You would hit I40 somewhere close to Lonoke. (I'm not talking about the one that used to be close to Holland Bottom). I remember buying some stuff from her one year. I think we were out just riding around, when I discovered her. Do you all know what I'm talking about?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #7786181

You know the farmers burn their fields and remember when folks used to burn their lawn grass so it would be greener and grow better.
JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 12, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #7786218

I like Four Seasons also. First time I went there I bought some crushed pecan(?) shells, was one of the best amendments for my clay soil I have every bought. I like BJ's at the Farmers Market at Protho. They mark their perennials down after Mothers Day. They are not "dirt" cheap, but the plants look good.
JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 12, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #7786249

Charlotte, There was one on 89 for a few years, they are out of business this year . Also there was one that was nice and had all the bells and whistles but didnt stay in business very long-you got off on the first Cabot exit, and went through the light and continued for a mile or so and was on the right.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #7786316

The one on 89 may be what I'm think about. It was right on the hwy and her house was next door if I'm not mistaken. I remember the nice one. They didn't last long. Fellowship Bible Church is there now.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2010
8:09 AM

Post #7786338

No the sewer lines are in the very back yard, and side yard. nothing under that dirt but ash.

Sooo, everybody go burn your greenhouse down and start a flower garden LOL
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7787474

LOL KA! It looks great!

Kim win lots of moolah! Win some for me too LOL!
obbirds
Olive Branch, MS

May 12, 2010
3:37 PM

Post #7787627

KA it does look great. Hard to believe it has been 2 years. The ash must have something to do with it. Jim covered his beds in it over the winter and I just knew it would do more harm then good, but it hasn't.
Kim let me know ahead of time when you are going to be at Tunica and I will run some plants to you.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2010
4:43 PM

Post #7787808

Looking great, Kathy Ann! I am eagerly anticipating being at your house in June to see everything "up close and personal". gotta go pack, I'm leaving about 7:30 a.m. to drive to Charlotte's. After we unload the plants from my car (mine and KA's) and load them into Charlotte's pick-up, we will be off to Cindy's! see you in the morning, Charlotte! P.S. My wonderful kids/grandkids went together and gave me $200.00 to help me with expenses on this trip to Jeri's RU this week-end! I was totally surprised--what a great gift!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 12, 2010
5:06 PM

Post #7787869

That was a great gift, Marilyn, they knew you would want to get more plants at Forest Hills.
I sure hope you all have fun, I know you will, travel safe, is Kim riding with you too?
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7789186

Marilyn - that was such a sweet thing for your family to do for you. They must realize how much it means for you to go and to be able to enjoy it. Ya'll be careful and have lots of fun for us all that can't be there.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 13, 2010
7:54 AM

Post #7789443

Wow - Marilyn, that was really nice of them!

For all of your creative, artistic people... I have a thread here on MS asking for some landscaping ideas. I finally have some pics posted and would appreciate suggestions as I plant to bring a lot of things back from Forest Hills.

Genna
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #7790044

KA, your gardens look great. I can't believe it's been 2 years either since the GH fire.

Marilyn, that is a wonderful, meaningful gift from your family.

Genna, I'll check out your other post later. Don't have much time right now.

Later,
Elaine
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2010
6:55 AM

Post #7792070

You all have fun a Jeri's!!! I miss ya'll already, not to mention slightly jealous here... LOL!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #7815430

Sandra this is the other cat that has decided to live here. I took the other female to the pound. She was a very tame white calico so hopefully she will be adopted out. She was so mean to this cat, wouldn't let her eat. She would gorge herself of both bowls of food and jump on her. I couldn't stand that since this one was big pregnant and needs the food for her babies. I assume she is part Maine Coon. Her hair is long and her body is marked like a coons tale with golden stripes around her body. She has the light golden eyes. I guess we will be having pot luck kittens in the next couple of weeks. I have never owned a cat so this is a new adventure for me. She was very wild at first but has become pretty attached to me although she bit me today after forcing me to pet her. She will still hide if humans come around. I had seen her living in the cotton fields back in Feb.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7815435

This is a picture of her face. I couldn't ever get her to sit still long enough to get a good shot of her body.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2010

Post #7815441

Not very good but you can see her stripes.

Thumbnail by Riverland

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 21, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7815447

That is a beautiful kitty--she will make you some pretty babies too !! My babies are growing and have their eyes open. They are so cute
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #7815489

Are you still thinking about keeping one of the babies? I figure if any of my kittens look like her we will find homes for them. The tom cat I have seen around here is a short haired white with brown spots. I don't know if he is the father or not .

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:46 PM

Post #7815752

She's a pretty cat! I had never had a cat until I had Lucy. She was a cat I got from the pound. My friends told me a cat would be easier to take care of since I was gone so much. That was back in 1989. Didn't want her to be lonesome, so I got another one from the pound and named her Sarabeth. Had to have them both put to sleep about 2 years ago. I really enjoyed them but don't think I want anymore. Two dogs are enough!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #7816170

Oh come on Charlotte--everyone needs a kitty--especially when we have some to give away-LOL

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7816285

Nope!!! No more kitties!!! I loved my kitties but too much hair in the house!
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
9:15 AM

Post #7816747

Cindy - your cat is beautiful ! Looks like our little girl, but with long hair.
Sandra - you need to show us update pics of those babies.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #7816854

Ok you talked me in to it !!

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
9:44 AM

Post #7816858

I would really like to keep the little white one, but Jerry is not giving in--yet--LOL

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
9:45 AM

Post #7816859

Kit was out of the box eating this morning and I went and picked them all up to pet on them and they all started blowing at me--it was so cute--those tiny things acting so big !

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #7816862

Last one

Thumbnail by slcdms

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
10:00 AM

Post #7816904

Looks like she is a good mommy. The little white/gray one kinda looks like a Siamese cat.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #7816908

Yes, and it's little tail is darker and has rings around it.

I hate to put this here, but we lost Bobo last night, he got run over. He was a good dog and I will sure miss him.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #7816944

Oh Sandra that is terrible I know you will miss having him.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
11:36 AM

Post #7817097

Sandra so sorry about Bobo! Those kittens are too cute! I like the gray one and also the lightest of the blondest red ones.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
12:09 PM

Post #7817160

thanks Charlotte--they are all so cute, yes we will miss Bobo
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #7817506

Oh no Sandra ! How old was Bobo? I am sooo sorry to hear that. You will certainly miss him being your buddy outside. Then you forsure need to keep one of those babies. I love them all - would be very hard for me to part with any of them.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #7817515

That's so sad about bobo I'm sorry to hear that Sandra.

sure is a pretty cat, she does seem to be a good mama

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #7817736

I was trying to figure, but around 6 years I guess, we got him from a friend of Cayla's when she was in high school. He has always been good, didn't tear up stuff like a lot of dogs do when you first get them.
As of now, we have no takers on any of the kittens, so we might end up with all of them.
I am hoping to find good homes for them though, they are so cute.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 22, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7817971

Sandra, I'm so sorry about Bobo. I know you'll miss him keeping you company.

Those kittens are sooo cute! I'll ask around and see if anyone wants one over this way.

Terrye
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #7817982

Oh Sandra, I am so sorry. I know y'all will miss him. The kitties are very cute. I think you should keep all of them ;o)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #7818085

Sandra, so sorry about Bobo! It's amazing how attached we can become to our fur babies. I don't know what I would do without Friday--he is so much company for me. Those kitties are certainly being well-fed by mama kitty! I wish I could take one of them, but I really don't want to have cat hair all over the house. Friday, being a Schnauzer, doesn't shed.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #7818270

I understand Marilyn, I don't want cat hair all over the house either--but I have it--LOL
Yes, I will miss Bobo so much, especially when I am outside.

Faith left here begging Amanda to let her have one and of course the answer was no, I told her they would be a snack for the dogs if she took one home.
Amanda told me she would bring Alaska to me. I told her I did not want another dog right now. Alaska is her Akita--full blooded and spayed. If we start having skunk trouble again, I might take her. We will see, but right now, I just don't want another dog. I know Snowflake will miss him more than I do, they went running together every morning. I am wondering if she will come looking for him in the morning, she probably knew he was gone before we did, they were very big buddies.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010

Post #7818299

For those of you who never met him, here is Bobo

Thumbnail by slcdms

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
7:42 PM

Post #7818324

You will probably end up with Snowflake. Everytime I was there he was at your house instead of home. My cat if I call her that, she just chose us, is an outside cat. I guess I would admit she lives here since I broke down and bought a brush and a couple toys for her today. She doesn't shed like that other shorthaired cat did. Every chair outside would have hair on it. This cat sits in the chairs too but no hair.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #7818327

That's a good picture of BOBO.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
8:29 PM

Post #7818518

Yes, he even looks clean--lol
savagegardener
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
6:34 AM

Post #7819236

Sandra-I am so sorry about Bobo, I hate to hear that ...I know that it hurts a lot. I know he meant the world to you ...it was evident when we all came there a a couple of years ago for your daylily party.

I am so glad I got to "meet " him. Your kitties are pretty, I have a litter coming soon , too
My extremely young calico kitty , Jack is about to pop any day now. I will definately be giving some away , too .

AWW, Come on , everybody ...yall need some mouse and vole killing , snake deterrant, pretty kitties, too !!! LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 23, 2010
6:43 AM

Post #7819252

I think you might want to change Jack's name to Jackie--lol
Yes, Bobo will be missed greatly, I am thankful to have had him as long as we did.
savagegardener
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
7:11 AM

Post #7819323

It was named Jack, until we found out "he" was a "she", and so just did not want to change the name...so " she " is Jack

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 23, 2010
8:08 AM

Post #7819463

I have had that happen too--it is hard to tell sometimes with kittens, I think we have 2 boys and 2 girls--the 2 yellow ones are the toms
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 23, 2010
9:54 AM

Post #7819693

Ozzie and I had a visitor in the garden this morning (Ozzie is my cat). She was standing right over it when it moved. I jumped about as high as she did! lol It coiled up and she sat there and guarded it for about 15 minutes.

terrye

Thumbnail by tryliv

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
10:01 AM

Post #7819714

Sandra I am so so sorry about Bobo. Big hugs coming at ya!

I'd take the 'red headed one' if I could have one, but I don't like male cats anyway. Tiga would have a fit and she's too old to deal with a kitten.

She says, "MOM!! Look what happened to the corn!!"

Cindy does that sweet little girl have tufts on the tops of her ears? Maine Coons can be any color, they're not necessarily Tabby and they don't always have rings around their tails. They do always have squared off noses with big cheeks, opaque shaped eyes, and tufts on the top of their ears, and the females are fairly large (9 to 12 pounds) and the males are huge (12 to 20 pounds.)
Cats are really easy to take care of, they just require food and water, but here's some help:
http://www.petplace.com/cat-breeds/maine-coon.aspx?gclid=CM7n24Xd6KECFQlZiAodpETsIg

Thumbnail by crissyr

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 23, 2010
10:48 AM

Post #7819875

Terrye, Kit spotted a snake going across the front yard today from the window. She hit that "attack stance" and I looked to see and it was a snake going across the yard, by the time Jerry got out there it was gone, it wasn't a copperhead, was a black one looked like it might have had a yellow stripe.
That makes 3 snake sitings here already
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
10:57 AM

Post #7819893

That is odd. My cat is very leary of snakes around here. She won't get near them. There is a huge rat snake that lives out by Paul's garage, and he can always tell when it is out in the open by the way Minnie is acting. She'll kill just about anything, but stays clear of snakes.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 23, 2010
10:59 AM

Post #7819898

I don't know if Kit would have attacked her or not, had she been outside, but she sure looked like she wanted to--LOL
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 23, 2010
11:02 AM

Post #7819910

Ozzie was sitting only about a foot from the snake and just sat there and watched it. This was just a rat snake so I wasn't worried about it hurting her. It was more afraid of her.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #7819930

Kit was probably protecting those babies. :-)
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
11:49 AM

Post #7820032

Danny & i were in the garden last night, (flower garden that is) we watched a turtle lay her eggs out there, this morning I found 6 more holes out there where more eggs were laid or she was in the process LOL we'll see what we get walking around out there, wonder how long it takes for them to hatch
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #7820902

A looonnnng time KA. We incubated some snapping turtle eggs years ago, and seems like it took 3 mos or so. Guess it depends on how they are done and what kind of turtle though.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #7820951

Sandra, I'm so sorry to hear about your Bobo. Sending hugs your way.

Snakes seem to be all over the place this spring. We have found 4 snake skins in various places in the back yard and saw one big black snake by the creek that someone had run over. I wish they had left it. Our 'Buddy' (the king snake) is still around I hope. They keep the bad guys away.

KA, that is cool about the turtle eggs. I saw a humongous turtle in the water in the creek today when I went jogging. Probably a snapper. His shell was the size of my turkey platter!!
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
2:53 AM

Post #7821818

For all of you who were at Charlotte's last fall and helped Janie and I with our little dilemma (remember that problem with the gift card we had - the boss' mother had died and we needed to do something with the gift card to a nursery the employees had purchased)? Well I just wanted to report that thanks to all of your help we finally got word last week that the Conway MG's had purchased and planted 30 butterfly weed plants in her honor on a knoll in their new butterfly garden. They have a new office in Conway and they happened to be putting in this butterfly garden behind it - butterfly weed was this lady's favorite flower so that will be such a great memorial to her. They will put up a plaque with her name in the fall when the garden is complete. We typed up a note to the boss to let him know what we had done and I think he was pleased. WHEW problem solved - so thanks ladies and if you get a chance to see this garden look for those butterfly weed in Mrs. Irby's name!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
4:34 AM

Post #7821926

That's neat Janie. I'm so glad everything worked out .

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #7822032

Karen that's great! I would think he would be pleased to know that there is a permanent memorial and beautiful flowers for the butterfly's and others to enjoy!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 24, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #7822861

Sandra - so sorry to hear about Bobo... our dogs become part of our family and it sure hurts to lose them! Sending big hugs your way... my dogs and cats were always getting ran over when I was kid. I hated living by the highway! And my neighbor's didn't even have a fence and their dogs would follow their truck up and down the road and I don't think they ever had one get run over!!

The kittens are precious! Does the grey one have blue eyes like a siamese?

Sharon - on your calico... My Daddy used to say that ANY cat that has three colors or more is a female. Won't swear that he was right, but for YEARS I tried to find a male with three colors or more and never could!

I would like to have an outside cat to help keep the mice down around the shop and chicken house. Jessica's cat is an inside cat and wouldn't have a CLUE what to do with a mouse! My Great Pyrenees kills some mice...

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 24, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #7822916

Genna, all the kittens have blue eyes, they change as they get older, so I can't go by that. It looks like it is going to be a longer hair cat, but I am sure there is some Siamese in it somewhere. I will be glad to let you have all 4 of them if you want them !
They are all up for adoption

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2010
11:25 AM

Post #7823053

Sandra I'm sorry about Bobo!!! I know that he will be missed with every step you take outside.

Good luck with the kitten give away!!! By the time they are old enough I can't do it.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 24, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #7823261

Leigh would probably kill me if I took one - much less four! We have one dog outside, three inside, plus a cat inside. It already sounds like a zoo at our house! But I am partial to siamese crosses... just love them!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 24, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7824016

Yes, I am being threatened every day, but today Jerry took them out and played with them a while. I know we don't need any more animals, but they sure are cute !

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7824073

If this helps Sam's has my cat food $4.00 a bag cheaper and it's bigger too.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #7824146

Cats cats and more cats! What would we do without our cats!

Never thought about the 3 colored female thing. hhmmmmm

Excellent Karen!

So Diana springluver has two female Rotties to sell, if anyone is interested. I don't remember what she has them priced at.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 24, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7824159

It's not the food--mine are in the house, Jerry hates having them inside. Kit comes and goes, but I don't think I would trust the little ones out for a while yet.
Does Larry still eat cat food?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #7824426

Little kittens are just too cute!!! Irresistible! When my cat Sarabeth was a kitten she climbed the Christmas tree and was poking her head out of the branches!! So, so cute - but we had to tie the Christmas to the ceiling to keep it from falling over. Who would not want one of those cute things!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #7824439

Jim won't let any of the critters inside. Yes Larry still thinks he is a cat. In fact king of the cats!!!! LOL!!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7824465

That's why I don't want anymore cats - I would end up with them inside. For almost 16 years I had 2 cats and a dog inside. It has been so nice not having cat hair all over everything and my maltese don't shed. They just act like dust mops and bring all the leaves, pine needles and trash from outside inside.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2010

Post #7824496

That is one thing I don't miss about my Lab. All that hair, plus a strong tail just at the right height to level end tables and coffee tables.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #7824528

Cats are usually very good about not breaking things but I had one cat for a while (quite a story about her ending but too complicated to tell here) that could break more stuff. She totally wiped out a table top full of very good antique blue willow pieces! I didn't have the heart to throw it all away, so I put all the broken pieces in a bag and have kept it all these years. I was able to glue a few pieces back together. I'm going to make a mosiac bird bath one of these days. I do finally have the base I'm going to use - a small dish satellite receiver.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7824578

Forgot to tell you Christine the cat does not have the ear tufts on top of the ears. I'm sure she is a very mixed breed. Even pregnant she doesn't appear to be as big as when I saw her in Feb with her winter coat. I got in my car and drove down the road to see what was skulking across that bean field. I couldn't get near her then because she was so wild. I really think she is very young. I want to try to get her to the vet if I can. I don't won't to traumatize her. I have never picked her up before.

Thumbnail by Riverland

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7825368

Cindy, she is so pretty--I would not take her anywhere in the car if she is still that wild, most cats hate being in cars. Is there something that you think she needs the vet for right now? If not, wait until she trusts you more--she might never trust you again if you take her right now.
I can't wait to see what her babies look like.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2010
7:14 AM

Post #7825506

Nothing in particular Sandra. I just know she probably needs a once over but will wait until after her babies are born.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2010
8:53 AM

Post #7825830

Give her a coke box with a towel in it now and she'll have her babies there probably. If not she will bring them there later. Put the box out of the way so she feels protected. Mine are so brazen now the coke boxes left after the RU were all spread out on a plastic table under the carport. When I went out the Monday after the RU each box had a cat in it. They were using them for beds. LOL!!! I threw them away before the part;y Sunday for Cameron but they really liked them for a week.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
10:13 AM

Post #7826079

Yes, they want a dark place for the babies first few weeks. I finally got Kit to leave hers in a box, by using one of those with the flip lids and left half of it down to keep some of the light out. She moved them behind the love seat when they were a few days old and Jerry tried to get her in a box with them then, but she would have no part of it--got them right back out and took them back to the dark spot. I am sure there is a good reason for that, probably something to do with their eyes opening.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #7827504

Oh Poo!!! Yall just jinxed me Pudding just had 3 kittens and I didn't even know she was pregnant!!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7827509

How many does that make??? I thought you had all yours fixed now??

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2010

Post #7827516

All but Pudding. She came right after the others left that night. Apparently there is a male somewhere that isn't fixed either!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #7827521

Honey, those males can come from miles away
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7827551

What a laugh I nearly rolled off the couch. Jeri. Sandra you should see her cats but the one ( Is that Pudding) is beautiful. If it is her babies should be beautiful.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7827555

I would love to see her kitties, I do love cats
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #7827591

I have never been a cat lover but I am getting acquainted with this one pretty fast. She bit me again today. She is playing I think but doesn't really know how. I just fuss a little and walk away and ignore her. These are not nips they are deep bites. The wildness is calming down.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #7827607

You don't need to let her bite you, you are liable to get cat scratch fever, you can get it from bites too. Maybe wear your rose gloves until she learns not to bite

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #7827627

Spooky has taught me to wear gloves when pulling weeds when nothing else has. If I'm pulling the weeds bare handed he thinks I'm a mouse or something and attacks my hand and with my hand in his mouth he shakes it like trying to kill the mouse. I regret to inform PETA that cat hair did fly that day!!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #7827640

I second what Sandra said! She will probably continue to get calmer as she sees you are friendly and help her.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
6:17 PM

Post #7827656

My dogs seem to know when I'm in a hurry or if I'm trying to get ready to go out of town or something. They start grabbing my pants leg with their teeth and I'm running around the house with a dog attached to my pants.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7827678

Danny started a remodel job today and quickly had to come to a hault when he had all these little black spots all over his white tee shirt. he quickly realized he had gazillions of fleas all over him, you shoul d see that mans waist where his pants button, bites all around his waist. it's horrid. got the place sprayed, hopefully he won't get ate up tomorrow.

I felt so bad for him.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7827723

That is horrible!!! You wouldn't think there would be that many fleas in a house!!!!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7827726

Give him a big dose of benadryl --those bites may make him sick.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7827771

The green rubbing alcohol makes my kids feel better from mosquito bites.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7827786

it was a rental property , sorry I didn't clarify that. an old house.

as far as Iknow, he's not bothered by the bites. I hope he stripped before he went inside my house today LOL
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2010
9:02 PM

Post #7828225

Whoa that is awful. Makes me itch just thinking about it. If he had on a white shirt I can understand. For some reason they will come to white. My niece had dogs in her house but wasn't sure she had fleas in the carpet since they didn't bite her. The Orkin man came out threw a white cotton cloth on her carpet and she said here they came to the cloth. I don't know why this is though.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2010
10:22 PM

Post #7828375

Jeri what was the site again where I could order the sunglasses? I have searched all over for where I wrote that down.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2010
3:31 AM

Post #7828538

Here you go Cindy. I hope you have money after looking at everything!!! LOL!!!!

http://www.datscajun.com/custom/webpage4.cfm?content=getList&CategoryID=82&SubCategoryID=206&do=list&CFID=23817873&CFTOKEN=89968512

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2010
5:39 AM

Post #7828716

Speaking of the rose gloves - I wore mine this past weekend Cindy and loved them ! Thanks so much - they really work great while cutting my rose bushes.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #7833543

Wondering how many have skype? I do if anyone ever needs to call me...
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
12:07 PM

Post #7833624

I use to have it. not any more.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #7833819

Why?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
1:26 PM

Post #7833868

not sure why I dumped it. I can't even remember exactly what skype is any more.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
2:30 PM

Post #7834061

I have a little sticker at the top of my laptop screen that says skype but I have never activated it. Do they charge a monthly fee for use.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
3:29 PM

Post #7834244

No charge for computer to computer calls.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7834267

Sounds like I need to activate it!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #7834599

I have it and it is great for talking to people out of state or in Canada, even. It is even better if you have a web cam. I talk to a young woman in Canada from time to time. I met her when I went up there to visit friends last June.

We had a real "toad strangler" of a thunderstorm this afternoon. We have had one of these every day for the last three days. They haven't lasted long, though, and then the sun comes out and makes everything really steamy! LOL At least I don't have to water the plants!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7834759

I think I had that toad strangler storm today also. came a huge down pour, not for long here either. but have had one quite often, I think we skipped one day but for about a week we had some rain daily. went walking tonight and I feel like I took a hot bath and didn't even get in the tub LOL

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #7834906

Same kind of weather here too! Like Marilyn said at least I didn't have to water! I had some brugs that I was getting ready to water! I've got to repot a lot of them. Roots are showing out the bottom and they are drying out really quick!

I have a web cam built into my laptop. Just have never looked into using skype.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 28, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #7836135

Clara uses skype all the time to talk to her parents in Italy! It is neat to be able to see and talk to them! My sister uses it to talk to her daughter and family in Australia
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 1, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #7849988

I have some questions... I am looking to take Clara on one last, relatively short, trip before she heads home. I am desperate for some ideas. Originally, I had wanted to take her to Sea World so she could see a killer whale in person because she loves them... but I am not sure that time is going to allow for a trip that is 8 - 9 hrs one way. Then I considered Memphis to take her to the zoo because of the Pandas - which she also likes... but WHAT else does one do in Memphis besides Graceland because she doesn't seem to have a lot of interest in that. Kyle is wanting to visit Vanderbilt, and I considered a quick trip to Nashville, but that is a 7 hr drive so that doesn't help much, and with all the recent flooding and damage, I am not sure that now would be a good time to take someone there. Suggestions anyone? We have also considered Branson - but I am not sure if she really would want to go there. I also wondered about Eureka Springs - she hasn't been to the NW part of the state other than by interstate to Ft Smith on our way to Colorado...

We have also considered a trip to the Dallas/Ft Worth area because she has expressed an interest in "seeing the big D" because she has heard about it of course... but I don't really know that much about Dallas and what one should do there - but at least it is only about a 4.5 hr drive.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions! I have racked my brain and am sure I am missing something obvious!

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #7850215

In Eureka Springs there are several things you might do. Of course down town Eureka Springs is always fun to wonder through. The church in the woods (can't think of the name right now). There is also a private game preserve about 30 minutes or so away on the Missouri line. They have lots of very unusual animals and you can just drive your car through. Don't know if they do the Passion Play this time of year. One of the places with small cottages used to do a chuck wagon cookout. You might just contact the Chamber of Commerce to find out things to do.

I've been to Dallas a lot but don't know what you would do to entain her. Of course there is Six Flags. Lot of shopping. Fun places to eat. There is that place called Mid-evil Times. It's across from the Dallas market. It's more of a show than food. You eat everything with your hands. There is probably a large zoo.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 1, 2010
8:06 PM

Post #7850529

There is a large zoo in Dallas - been there a few times over the years and it is very nice, but not sure that she is particularly interested in regular zoo animals...and other than shopping and eating I really wasn't sure what to do there either! :)

Maybe go to Mtn View and go to Blanchard Springs... not sure if she would like something like that or not, but that is definitely a unique Arkanas experience... and I have always loved Eureka ... guess I will eventually just have to ask her what her preferences are. We have discussed Memphis briefly and I have told her I don't think we will have time to make the trip to San Antonio... so guess we'll have to see what she is interested in.

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2010
8:18 PM

Post #7850554

Well in Dallas there are tons of things to do the Galleria Mall has an ice skating rink, then there is all the historic stuff from Kennedy's assassination and a botanical gardens (okay she might not care about that but you might like it), southfork ranch (you might want to pull out some old episodes of "Dallas" before you go there. We went to a drive-thru safari thing once and it was pretty neat.

Here's a link to all the stuff you can pick from

http://home.flash.net/~whaugen/dfwthingstodo.htm
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2010
7:50 AM

Post #7851567

I've never been to Dallas but there is an absolute ton of stuff to do there. Here's another link. If you google "Thinks to do in Dallas, TX" it comes up with several websites that have different things.

http://www.tourtexas.com/content.cfm?id=136
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2010
7:52 AM

Post #7851570

I don't know if she'd be interested, and you have to watch the day because they only have it once a month, but you could go to Canton, TX, it's a tad closer. Don't know if she'd even be interested, but it looks like a ton of fun to me LOL!

http://www.firstmondaycanton.com/

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #7851584

I've been to West Side Story. It's an interesting place to walk around. Lot's of boutique shops in an unusual setting. The thing with Dallas is everything is so spread out it takes a lot of time to get from one place to another. My son lived there for 6 or 7 years and every time we would go out to eat or shop it was an hour's drive. Of course they had places to eat that were closer but to go to the special places or their favorites it would take that long. It's a great place for the 20's and 30's crowd as there are a lot of great places to just hang out.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #7851597

I've been to Canton and it is a fun place to go but don't see it as a place a teenager would enjoy. Miles and miles of flea market, crafts, "antiques", etc., etc. Can't begin to cover all of it in one day.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 2, 2010
8:05 AM

Post #7851611

I have always wanted to go to Canton... no clue if she would enjoy it or not, but it is taking place this weekend instead of the next. We only have PART of Saturday for this weekend that everyone is home... but then next weekend if I take a day or two off, we can make a short trip somewhere...

Thanks for the links!

Genna
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 2, 2010
8:06 AM

Post #7851615

LOL... Charlotte we cross posted ... but I am thinking that long 4th of July weekend might be a great time to visit Canton! :) Of course, Clara will be gone, but I think I could have a lot of fun there! Might ask my sister if she would like to go since her bday is the 4th of July... usually my niece hosts a party for my sister, but since she is in Australia now, that won't be happening this year.

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #7851632

I wouldn't suggest going to Canton this weekend then. You need to get there Fri. - no later than Sat. morning. By Sunday everything is winding down and a lot are sold out. It is a fun place that you would probably enjoy if you ever get a chance. I've been with one of my friends several times. The first time we went we were blown away. We were thinking we would just stroll around one afternoon. We had no idea how much territory it covered. We go down on Friday and spend the night and hit it first thing Sat. AM. It is also hard to get reservations near Canton on short notice. Every motel is packed.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #7851651

There is a great place "smack dab" in the middle of downtown Dallas that is an aquarium and tropical rain forest. It has big tanks of all kinds of tropical fish and areas where there are tropical birds--if I remember correctly, they even have some monkeys but it is not a zoo, per se. It can be enjoyed even in the hot weather because it is inside. I haven't checked out those links above that others have posted but it is probably on the list of things to do in Dallas.

Memphis has a place called the Pink Palace which is a museum of sorts, I think, although I have never been there. It also has Beale Street which is fun just to walk around down there and little cafes where you can eat. Then there is the Rendezvous Restaurant down an alley a block or so from the Peabody Hotel. The Rendezvous is famous for their dry-rubbed barbecue ribs. I, personally, like a moist rib, but these are good and you can order all the "fixins" to go with them. If you go to the Memphis Zoo, you will need to allow all day--it is a big place! When my little DGS was four, we took him and his older sister there for a day. At the end of the day Zachary said, "I don't want to go back to the Memphis Zoo!" "Why, Zachary? Didn't you have a good time?" "Yes, but it made my feet hurt!" LOLOL
Have you ever thought about taking Clara to the Diamond Mine here in Arkansas? It shouldn't be that far from you and it would certainly be an experience she couldn't duplicate anywhere else!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 2, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #7851703

Well, they made a trip to the diamond mine several months ago - all the exchange students that were interestsed in going went but she didn't want to go. ?? I wouldn't mind taking her for sure - but now that it is 90+ degrees is not the time to go in my opinion. When they went was in the fall and the weather was much better and we had had lots of rain and they say that is the best time to go. She just wasn't interested. ...

I am thinking Dallas, Eureka or Memphis, and I may let her chose since this is her last trip and the distance is approximately the same for each one. IF she doesn't chose Memphis, then I think we will hit Memphis on the way to Nashville. Kyle is really wanting to go to Vanderbilt for a visit, and possibly a one day football camp, so we could break the trip up and catch Memphis on the way thru...

Thanks everyone for your input. Clara's parents are coming to America next summer as well, so they can take in some more sights then!

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2010
9:02 AM

Post #7851782

Marilyn I think you are talking about the Rain Forest Cafe. I think there is more than one in Dallas. Also in Dallas (Plano) there are some bumper car like things you ride around in and play ball with a racket. (sort of like a LaCrosse net). I've done that several times and they are fun and seem to be sort of a "Dallas thing". I haven't seen them anywhere else. The company I worked for planned it as an outing. I used to go to Dallas at least 4 times a year. Did that from 1983 until about 2008. Son lived there, then I went to market, then I had a job that required me to go at least every quarter. When my son was in grade school, we took him to Six Flags at least a couple of times every year. But Dallas has just never been one of my favorite places to go. But don't listen to me, I think I just burned out on it.

I took my grandsons to Beale Street and to the Rendezvous They enjoyed both. Also took them to Mud Island (big museum) and Graceland. I had Pink Palace on my list but we didn't have enough time.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2010
10:58 AM

Post #7852074

When I was a teenager I would have loved to look at all that stuff, and con my mom into buying me stuff! LOL

Marilyn's right, there's a ton of things to do in Memphis!! I love going to Memphis!

http://www.memphistravel.com/

gen2026
Camden, AR

June 2, 2010

Post #7853722

Is Beale street just full of tourist type shops? or clubs or what?? Isn't that where all the jazz or blues bands used to play or am I WAY off ?

She wants to go to an ART museum! I know NOTHING about art museums! ^_^

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #7853796

Have you taken her to the Arkansas Arts Center. It's downtown at 9th and I30. The Pharaoh Exhibit is going on now. It is a special traveling exhibit. There is also some great permanent art on exhibit and there is a really nice gift shop with nice art related stuff in it. Not the tourist type gift shop. Also a nice cafe to have lunch.
http://pharaoh.arkarts.com/
My grandson really enjoys going to art museums and he reallly liked the Arkansas Art Center. He was expecting something much smaller (he thinks Little Rock is in the country). Also the Territorial Restoration in Little Rock is a nice place to go. It is educational and not touristy. Have you taken her to the Clinton Presidential Museum? Actually a good museum. The State Capitol?
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 2, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7853814

No, haven't been to any of those! LOL ...did drive her and her parents by the capitol when they flew into LR on Dec 26.

Leigh, Jessica and I went to the Pharoah exhibit - we had originally planned for her to go, but she didn't want to... thought it would be boring..??? we tried to explain that it was an exhibit on loan but she didn't want to go. Haven't even thought about the Clinton museum...

I didn't notice any other art exhibits at the Art Center - I guess because of the way we flowed in and out of the pharoah exhibit we missed them... did take a brief visit into the gift shop.

I am exhausted - headed to bed - hope everyone has a great night! Oh, by the way, Kyle is at Boy's state and is running for Chief Justice of the Supreme Court,... there were 7 candidates in his party but he is in a runoff election. Had hoped to get the results tonight but it might be tomorrow before they know. If he wins, then he still has to take on the other party in the "general" election. He is having a lot more fun than he thought he would... says if he wins, he gets to wear one of the real judges robes when they go to the capitol on Friday!

Genna

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 2, 2010
9:01 PM

Post #7853937

Yes Beale Street is one long street that is blocked off to vehicle traffic. Lots of clubs, places to eat, shops, music on the street. I took the twins to B B Kings for dinner. The music starts there at 6 pm. They are both in a jazz band and play that type music. They were fascinated but ready to leave when they finished their dinner. It was the first time they had seen a live group play in that type setting. They had only seen school performances, etc. They really enjoyed the shops because they all had a musical theme and again they are into jazz. Not a place you want to spend the day, but fun for a few hours.
I'm sure Memphis has a nice Art museum and I'm sure it is larger than the one in Little Rock. Should be able to find it with a google search.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 3, 2010
5:53 AM

Post #7854456

Thanks Charlotte. She seemed to be intrigued by the Beale street info - and seemed interested in the blues music.

Kyle won his primary election and now will face the other party candidate in the general election today. He is excited and really getting into this ... he didn't think he would like it at all, but he is having fun! Just goes to show sometimes you need to try things you don't THINK you will like...

On another note, my great niece is 4 years old and just loves flowers. So my sister and my BIL went over to her house yesterday and planted her a flower bed. My sister said she was SO excited!! Now, if they will just LIVE!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2010
6:02 AM

Post #7854483

Congratulations to Kyle!!
That reminds me of when my son was very small my MIL was not into flowers but she was excellent with kids. She would give my son dried beans and had a special place in the yard for him to plant the beans. Those beans would come up and at least become a plant. It fascinated him and certainly kept him entertained. He probably planted so many some were bound to come up!
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 3, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #7854508

I am not sure if they planted any seeds or just actual flowers - but I bet she would get a thrill out of waiting for them to come up and watching them grow. Although it might be a little late for seeds this year...

I have shared a tremendous amount of plants with my sister (thanks to ya'll who shared with me first!) who really just started planting flowers last Spring. Well, she had thousands of daffodils before that but that is the first time she had a flower bed! Always before that she would have daffodils in the spring and then LOTS of lantana and petunias - but nothing else. Now, she has a large flower bed that she has made and she obtained plants from lots of friends and me and purchased some and she is really enjoying it. So her granddaughter "helps" her with the flower bed everytime she visits... so now, Baylea, has her very own. Wish I had known that they were going to do this bed, I would have ordered some extra hardy hibiscus out of the coop to add to it.

I told my sister I would try to dig up some of those red and yellow marble 4:00s and some other things out of my bed that she could take to her the next time she goes. Thought she might get a kick out of the flowers only opening in the evening...although those red and yellow marbles are not very prompt at opening! LOL sometimes it is 6 or after before they open!!

I know they planted some zinnias and other things that won't be hardy - then some things that will be...

gen2026
Camden, AR

June 3, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #7855184

I was out looking at plants yesterday and realized I have lost my whirling butterflies that Marilyn brought to me at Jeri's... it looked rough from the trip but I thought it might over come, but it didn't make it. I also lost my pantyloom campula too... guess they didn't like the stress of the trip!

Cindy, my Miss Jesse DL is not looking too good either - all shriveling up but I am hoping the roots take hold and that it will come back!

Everything else seems to be fairing good... this extreme heat is sure not helping on trying to get things established!

Genna
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2010
11:25 AM

Post #7855452

LOL Charlotte, I can totally relate to the twins! I grew up playing in a school jazz band and some stax music and I absolutely love playing the music to this day, but it's hard for me to sit and listen to. I enjoy the stax band at Rum Boogies the most so far.

YAY Kyle!!!!!

I am friends with someone who has a small band and they play in the center of the main block in a courtyard, on the same side of the street that Rum Boogies is, diagonally across the street from B.B.King
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 3, 2010
2:03 PM

Post #7855831

Well, Kyle lost his general election by about 60 votes! Said he thinks he would have won but someone stole all the shower curtains from one of the counties that was in his dorm with his county - and he said he thought that he lost all of their votes because of that - that county was just angry at the whole dorm since they didn't know who did it... oh well, he said he had a lot of fun participating and he thought he did good to make it into the final election and plus, he was thankful that he didn't get stomped... there were 600 boys voting, so he only lost by about 10% of the vote, he said some people only GOT 10% of the vote in some of the races so he "felt like he had ran a good campaign"... I couldn't help but chuckle! I hate he lost, but I told him the experience was the main thing and that him participating in the week has made it a lot more fun for him.

I have GOT to make a decision this weekend on WHERE we are going ! Have to decide room reservations, plans, etc... but I am sure having a HARD time coming up with a plan!

Genna

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #7855896

Oh Poo Genna, but he is right, he didn't lose by much which is really good! Write each place you want to go on a pieces of paper, mix them all up and choose one without looking. That's the only way I can make decisions sometimes.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 3, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #7855908

Maybe you should just hang out at home--or come on over to Kathy Ann's--LOL !!!
I have been to the Pink Palace a few times, I have not been lately though--what I like best is the Imax theater there

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #7856111

I know the courtyard you are talking about Christine. We sat there and listened to the music for a while.
gen2026
Camden, AR

June 3, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #7856810

Imax where Sandra? Memphis or Dallas??

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7856830

You know we have one in Little Rock also. Actually 2. The one out by the airport that shows special "educational" type stuff. And the new one in the new shopping center on Chenal Parkway.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

June 3, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7856848

http://www.memphismuseums.org/
There is a Imax inside the pink palace in memphis--i love Imax
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2010
9:16 PM

Post #7857263

If you decide to do the Clinton Library, be sure and go to the Heifer Village at Heifer International. It is right next to the Clinton Library. There is no admission fee. There are "stations" (for lack of a better word) where you can go and read about the different countries and what Heifer International is doing in those countries. They have "mock-ups" of farms, etc. in those countries. There is also a neat little cafe with good food in the building and a neat gift shop, too. I don't know if Clara is interested in learning about how to help folks in third world countries but if she is, this would be a good place to take her. If you go early enough, you could even take in the Farmers Market in the River Market area, although I think they are pretty much all done by 11 a.m. or noon.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
6:07 AM

Post #7857882

If you have have time you can also go up to Perryville (out hwy 10) and visit the Heifer International Ranch. It is best to go in the morning as there are some places they will not let you go to in the afternoon as they conduct classes in the villages in the afternoon. It is set up like real villages. Teenagers and adullts come from all overthe US and stay and work in the villages. I took all three grandkids through last summer. For example in one village they had a hut with a dirt floor, no windows, etc. The kids that come to work will actually stay in the hut and eat whatever type food the natives would eat and cook it using the same type method. They have to carry their water to the hut. In other words they have duplicated the living conditions for several countries on the farm and they have the kids experience all the conditions. They have lots of different animals that we don't have on our farms. Other volunteers stay for as long as 6 months or a year and they have housing they live in. They also have lots of older adult volunteers that come and live for long periods of time. They work in the gift shop, give tours, maintain the flowers, etc.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #7858076

That sounds neat Charlotte, I've never heard of it.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #7858148

All you ladies traveling be safe and behave!!!! I'm not there to keep Yall straight!!!! LOL!!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America