-
AuthorContent
tervherd
Lima, OH

May 7, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #7771859

Hi, everyone!

I know this sounds a bit simple, but I am in charge of our plants at a retail store. I have a question about when to deadhead geraniums to maximize their looks. I'm an avid gardener, but what I'd deadhead might be different from what someone in a retail setting might.

When do y'all consider a bloom head a deadhead candidate? When a stem's flowers are 50% spent, 70%, or whatever?

I'd love to hear how y'all decide when they bloom head stays and when it goes.

Thanks!

Sharon
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2010
3:25 PM

Post #7903444

You've had a number of viewers but no responses. Maybe they think you're wanting to hear from another retailer. I'm a customer who would rather see a plant, whether large or small, with beautiful healthy foliage and one or more flowers in bloom with the promise of more to come in stems that are yet to mature. Personally I'd pick a tidy plant with fewer blooms over one with alot of bloomed out stems. So I guess I'm a candidate for the 50% mark. However, once I got it home, I'd be hand picking the spent individual flowers from each head until I deemed it past looking good, which might be 60-70%. I don't imagine you have time to do that though. I hope this is helpful to you.
Calico_Coleus
Northeast, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2010
10:18 PM

Post #7904333

Sharon,
I pick off some of the withering little buds at about 30% wilt and then the next time I snap them off at the base. The sooner the old blooms are gone the sooner the new blooms will open.
Best of luck.
CC
kitgary
Springville, IA

July 1, 2010
3:46 AM

Post #7934846

Good question Terv. I work in a garden center and we agree with Pam. Healthy foliage and few, but nice, blooms is much better than half dead flowers!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2011
4:26 AM

Post #8389681

If I see flowers in a garden shop that are half spent, it's all I can do to keep from deadheading them myself! :-)

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2011
2:05 PM

Post #8678692

LOL! I have to restrain myself also. I do pull out the first fried blossoms in a flower head, but once they get to about 50% gone, they're history.
Martha

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America