Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Containers 2010 - WHose IN!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

So, what are you planting, nursery cans, special pots, tires?

Lets start here and see where we go!

To view this article online: http://www.aces.uiuc.edu/news/stories/news5175.html

Containers offer a growing solution for vegetable gardeners

Author: Debra Levey Larson

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

HOLY CRAP! Are those all your pots! I envy you!!!!! I would love to have just one stack of them!!

JM

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, been collecting for a while.. need to reorganize them. We used to do a nursery so they were easy had! I wish I had time to fill and maintain and sell some.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Here are some of mine.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Im so behind in gardening this season.. heck have not even bumped up my veggies.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

We have tomatos and eggplant and beans.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I have tomatoes, peppers, loofa, cukes, zukes in small pots to bump...

My potted flowers suck this year.. but then I have had a rough go in gardening this season...

Finally saw some germs in my cutting garden.. look like some 4:00's gonna start and some allysumns.. maybe a maregold or two, shoot there should be lots in there, but slower than a moley-arse in January.

Got weeds to high heaven.. come get, all you want for free!

(Becky) Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Almosr everythin I grow is in pots. I love dwarf trees for that reason. I have a patio and its my garden oasis I even have a peachtree in a large container. We bought a lot of storage tubs when we bought our home so I drilled a few holes in the bottom and use them for carrots and things that need a little deeper soill than some of my other garedn boxes. I can fit about 4 long rows....
Does anyone here grow trashcan potatos...my fave crop

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

My taters fizzled this year too.. too wet for in the ground and we even got them in at the right time.. but I think I am going to go back to mail order spuds.. I got my seed spuds this year at the local hardware and they looked great, but the mail order ones are treated and small and you just poke them i the ground instead of cutting them like we had to do with the ones this year. My spuds out of the pantry, they had sprouts on them when they went in the ground and might make a few newbs, but jeez, this year is bad news there too.

I have done trees in containers.. some make it some not, I think it depends on the year. This year is just bad for me taking care of things because of health, but otherwise, too my garden woud be much better.

Hope your doing better health wise, I live in zone 8a so sometimes I have to bring all my trees and a few other things inside. My hubby gets so mad when he gets up at all the trees in the kitchen.....then I remind him how much money we have invested and if they die I will just go buy new ones...lol gets him to simmer down in no time.
Most of mine are dwarf so the do quite well in containers as long as there big enough

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! I have been kown to turn the house into a plant refuge too.

Thanks. Health wise its up and down. This getting old stuff is for the birds.

We got rain last night, looks like back to back storms so the weather again will be crappy, but thats all right., I will take the rain for now.

Gonna move my pepper pots to a better place though before the storm comes in again.

Good luck,

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Got them moved.. now need to bump up some more peppers that I have in paks yet.

I still have to pack my Aztec pots...need to bring up some dirt.

Least its not so steamy like yesterday. whew!

I think dirt is my single biggest expence. I think that may be only downside I have found to using containers.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I read a post on here last year.The poster was using plastic foam peanuts in her big containers to cut down on soil.I am trying it in a 20 inch pot of caladiums.

Sounds like a good idea...

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I take the huge #1500 nursery cans and fill them 2/3 with manure compost then top it of with purchased potting soil. The potting soil Ihave been getting has been pretty good. None of that garbaged junk we have seen and heard others complaining about.

Here are my zukes... these pots are huge

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

My loofas

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

cukes!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Glads...need to weed....

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

wow your glads are huge already

my asparagus in not doing well at all. I think one is a fern tree now lol. It just never got fat enough to pick and then .....oh branches. oh well

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

My asperagus dint do wel either.. must be the year. Last year they popped seed like crazy, but this year all the plants were scrawny. Never tried it in pots. Hows it do? I would think not to well since the roots would get cramped and not winter good. I tried wintering a specimen last year in a container.. it croaked.

Those glads are about 18 inches got about 20 pots.. some are Comets, then the rest are a mix and some are red.

Ha, forgot the pic of the cukes!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

guess I should start mine above ground from now on

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Green Bell peppers and banana peppers...had a Peter but it croakes last week.. damped off for some reason.

I have not had luck growing peppers in the garden.. too wet here and last year was the first time I tried them potted. Worked great.. even brought them into the house in the winter.. they did not make it though to spring. rats!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I started the glads on 4/7/10 and was hedging all the way.. our spring was so cold this year, but not wet like some years, althoug we are getting rain regular now. The gorund is hot and the conditions for grwoing greatly improved.

Here are some volunteer petunias

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

More petunies with some viola volunteers. Volunteers are fun, ya never know what your going to get!

I have Baby sunroses that I wintered over.. theres about 30 baskets of those andnew this year I got a varigated sunrose... I am looking for yellow flowered ones...

Last year I did 40 baskets of cherry maters.

Well maybe tomorrow I will have more up. Need to take some more pics too.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

so pretty

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Im waiting more pets in the GPS....everything is so slow this year for me. It was a rough start.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Here are my front tubs.Its grey and dreary here so I had to tweek.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

the other one

Thumbnail by ge1836
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

BlossomBuddy ~ do you leave your vegies in pot all summer? Looks like lots of watering... but I like your blend of compost and soil. Thanks.
Lots of containers here... horseradish in a barrel half, notice the planted blue bidet behind it? The beds are full of potted maters, squash, eggplants, peppers and more. Not Home & Garden beautiful but fun. P.S. ~ I lust after your stash of pots!

Thumbnail by podster
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Pod, on the soil.. I dont mix it. I put 2/3 manure in the pot first then top it off with the potting soil. Yep, lots of watering, but easier for me to weed!

When I moved here ten years ago, all those pots were filled with plants! I dug up my acre perennial garden at our old farm. Man I miss that garden. It was a joy, but the neighborhood sucked. Had one of those landfill compost farms nextdoor and it reacked to high heaven. The stench could be smelled 5 miles away and you would not beleive the flies.

And yes, some of those veggies like the peppers will stay in those big cans all summer. I plan to transplant the rest, but I have such a late start this season.

I will have to dig up some of the old shots when we moved. Towards the end I ran out of cans and we ended up just heaping plants bare root into the pickup bed.

This place here, is so wet it is terrible for grass. Almost enough to make you give up gardening it is so much work.

My bed at the homefarm, it was all rowed and so we would just till it between the rows with the cultivator, but here its in patches, more landscaped, but a mess this year.

If I had plastic on the big hoop I would leave plants all year in containers and go back in business, but im tired of running businesses. I have enough to handle it as just a hobby. now.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Heres Stella de Oro. I cannot get her color right in the pics.. its more deeper yellow that it shows.

This one is not in a container, but I have a few that are.. I need to weed those pots! errrgh!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Some of the baby sunrose baskets...

Ohthat reminds me, gottaa send out a varagater to a friend.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

one of my sedums.. its not going in that Aztec pot..

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Strawberries ala tire!

Lilburn, GA

Podster, that is gorgeous!

where did you get horseradish?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you Lola ~ I'm not sure I would say "gorgeous" but definitely fun. The horseradish was an ebay purchase a couple of years ago. I hadn't harvested any yet, waiting for it to get established. I wanted it contained but think I will move it to a larger plastic cattle feed tub next season. The oak barrel is hard to keep hydrated in this climate. I should have lined it with plastic to slow evaporation.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats good to know. I line Terrecotta too.It draws moisture from plants.
They are quaint looking but need watering everyday.
Does the Moisture Controle potting soil help?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.