Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Coleus Chatter MAY

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is a fickle and decieving month .
Those of us who live in the north are lured by warm temps starting in April.
May is here already and days in the 80's tempt us to put out our plants.
I know better.
My livingroom is overcrowded with coleus plants and cuttings.
Its so crowded it interferes with the remote for TV.
I planted 5 coleus outside just so I can see TV and the front garden.
Everytime I go to a nursery and see people heading toward their cars with bedding plants I want to stop them and tell them of the cold nights with 30 temps,not to mention the freezes in mid to late May.
This is what happens to coleus when night temps are below 50 and it even snows.
This photo is rated "S" for shouldnt and stupid.
It may be harmfull and disturbing to some viewers.

Thumbnail by ge1836
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

What a disaster! I've had fatalities as well and last night we dragged in all the coleus and tender annuals to save them from the horrible winds and cold temperatures. They cover the living room floor now - what a mess They'll stay inside until we feel the night temperatures are warm.

After all the years I've gardened I think it's a lost cause to try and convince people not to plant their tomatoes or basil just because the store sells them now. It's just too cold and these vegetables want warmth, just like the coleus do.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

OUCH!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

We are so much alike. I will see someone purchasing a plant that does not grow here. I walk behind them and quietly tell them to ask the manager if the plant they have in their hands grow here. Or the two gallon tomato plant with small tomatoes already on it. I quietly tell them that is a sucker plant and the small tomato plant will grow faster, catch up and pass this big one in no time.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It really doesnt take much time to eduacet ones self where commonsense about plants is concerned.
Good grief if the tulips are blooming why would wnyone expect to have tomatoes now.
My relatives have a vedg stand and grow famous corn in this area.People come to the satnd and ask if the corn is in and my great aunt will point to the firld where my uncle was drilling corn and say"It will be about 4 months."

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Just because you have common sense, do not assume it is out there in abundance. I did mortgages in Las Vegas for over 35 years and common sense is becoming a thing of the past.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

right-on

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

JoAnn, sorry you lost those coleus...bummer after nursing them along all winter. Our weather is so wacked out this year. In March we had days in the 80's, now in May we've had several frosts and snow. I generally plant my annuals outside in mid-May but not this year. I'm getting so anxious for warm weather. I'm sick and tired of watering coleus in the house! I really didn't start with too many cuttings, but my problem is I kept taking more cuttings and they got out of control! It really is a lot of work keeping them going.

New Milford, CT

I'm with ya, goldfinch. Dang it, if I wanted to freeze my tuckus off in May, I'd move to Alaska.

My coleus are driving me nuts having to keep babying them ... but at least I took the advice from people in this forum, didn't leave them out and they're alive, which is more than I can say for my cannas and ageratum after this past week's freaky cold weather.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi everyone, just popping in to ask if anyone noticed this new post on PlantFiles--goodness, is it really a coleus?? Anyone else ever hear of it? Wild!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/192207/

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Does not look like a coleus to me but I am not man expert. But I do like it. Would love more info. Go for it Pirl and ge1836.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hey I dont know krap about coleus.I just have a big mouth and express an opinion now and then about what I do know, a bit like 'B Arthur'.
Pirl is the expert.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

it's a Plectranthus... do a google search for Madagascar Fern-leaved Coleus ... nothing comes up.. that's why you can't always trust the plant files... only as good as it's users.. maybe that is the local name for the plant... not a coleus though

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

i agree Allison.
PF is still better than nothing .PlantID would heve been another choice.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh don't get me wrong.. I use PF all the time... and sometimes forget it might not always be correct

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

looks like it might not be a Plectranthus either

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am thinking the only thing correct is the syn. and family.. which is related to coleus... like mint & agastache are related ... still a neat looking plant though

http://www.calhortsociety.org/flower-show/landscape-show-2003/source/dscn2332.htm

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Four feet of it might be too much for my gardens.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

It is pretty cool looking!

I have many Plectranthus but not that one and, as ge said, four feet would be a bit intense in the garden. In winds it would/could snap branches as well. They do have a pleasant scent (light mint) and are exceptionally easy to root and grow.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Yep, a four foot tall, 3-4 foot wide coleus is a mighty big one, lol. That might even intimidate the deer!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh wouldn't that be nice!

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Yep, not to mention the bunnies! lol

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am attempting to put the overgrown parent coleus out in the garden.
Long range forecast says 50's nights for the next 10 days which should put us beyond the frost dates for Z6.I have half a million backups in the livingroom trays so it wont be any loss if some dont like the change.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

we are mid 40's until wed then over 50... good luck!!!... keep us posted!!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I planted most of mine out yesterday. We SHOULD be safe now. Both the 10 day forecast on weather.com and the 15 day one on accuweather have the night temps staying above 50. The problem with waiting too long to plant out here is that the awful heat and humidity of summer can happen fast. In that, it's hard to get any plant transplanted successfully. Seedlings and small cuttings don't like sudden transplant/change at burning 90 temps.

Karen

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What a pain.We get a long heat spell in July.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

That doesn't always happen here, but most often it seems to. Last year was an exception, we got so much rain and cold weather in early summer, as did much of the country. We didn't get hot, sunny weather until July last year.

I usually take a week of vacation from work in May to finish my planting, as well as moving or dividing existing plants. Usually I have hundreds of wintersown seedlings to get planted. I start in March or April with perennials and work on to annuals in May. Generally anything that isn't done by about May 15 or 20 doesn't work out too well because the weather is just too hot. Everything seems to tolerate planting, moving, or dividing pretty well unless I attempt it in the real hot weather.

I have to say, too, that my wintersown seedlings tolerate cold much better than indoor seedlings or nursery-bought plants. I feel safer starting with wintersown ones. Unfortunately I didn't have many of those this year.

Karen

Londerzeel, Belgium

Just removed all protection from frost sensitive plants this weekend. Father couldn't stand all those bags and covers in the garden anymore, so pray for me that it won't start freezing again. Coleus are still in the greenhouse so at least those will be saved if the prayers are neglected ;)

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well we have gone from 70s to 90 in one week. I am going to plant my Coleus Tuesday. They have been outside in my holding garden for the last week and are much happier than they were in the house or greenhouse. Good luck everyone.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

me too

Mine will also get planted later this week. I have no idea at all where they'll go but they simply have to get into the soil.

New Milford, CT

Looks like we'll have high 40s here in CT tonight, Tuesday and Wednesday, jumping to mid-50s consistently after that. But I won't have time to get anything out until the weekend ... so I guess I have one more week of babying them indoors.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

With the warm days and nights I have moved my cuttings to pots on the deck where they will thrive all summer.
The livingroom is mine again.
I began to resent the coleus and regret my idea to do sooooooo many cuttings.
I have a better view of my Livingroom garden with the blooming TreePeony beyond.
The cats are thrilled.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I will pix planters pronto
soon as the sun comes up.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

wow potted up already???... can't wait to see the pics

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The plants are a bit pathetic due to winter color.
I will post pix but done expect any WOW factor as there has been some additional pinching. I had no idea how spindly some had become.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I was just eying some of mine yesterday ... some are very leggy.. and some of the RD ones are trying to flower already... ugh

the rest I will pinch when I get them planted.. hate to waste a good cutting.. I will stick them in somewhere out there.. but no more in flats for me.. I am done with this as well

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I took 30 cuttings for parent plants last September. 10 survived. I must have had 200 cuttings in seedstarter cells.Not a good idea. I think the small cells are what made the plants go leggy
If I do this again it will be just a few,less than a dozen,or buy from RD but not as many and make my planters mostly annuals I buy locally.
I do love the RD trailers tho,nothing cascades like them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.