carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #7780139

coming from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1065184/#new

We're discussing the pros and cons of having one big thread instead of three little ones, weaving the three together, staying on topic, who can, who cares, like that.

This message was edited May 10, 2010 11:45 AM

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2010
9:01 AM

Post #7780217

I don't care. I will go with any flow. Right now I'd just like to feel joyful instead of glum.

Hugs all around,
Sheri

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #7780225

Oh, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Sheri!

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #7780276

LOL Thank you Carrie. I guess I am glad to be alive and really have much to be thankful for, but this age thing is really getting me down...it will pass though.

I have many lovely flowers blomming and grass growing faster than I can mow it (grrr).

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2010
9:22 AM

Post #7780301

Ya, yesterday DH finally mowed our grass 1st time this year. Funny, he used to be SO impatient, I remember he'd mow down bushes and not give bulbs enough time for their leaves to ripen and be so strongly against crocuses and rape hyacinths in the lawn that I wrote a whole article about ways to hide bulbs from your lawn's mower! Now he likes bulbs in the lawn (and says I had a master plan all along) and is about three mows behind the rest of the street!

I'm glad you're alive, Sheri!
scraps
Lena, MS
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #7780448

Hello all, I guess that is one way of looking at the age problem Carrie. The alternative to having birthdays is death so I suppose old age is better than death. I know we all just hate to hear the numbers right after another birthday. However, I have so much memory problems I never can remember my age anyway. I have to move some more flowers from the old houseplace this afternoon before my FIL uses the dozer and cuts them down. He is a grump and is irritated that I have not gotten finished but he will have orange dayliliies forever there. He can dozer through them and spread them but I doubt he will get rid of them. Probably just make more of them.LOL. He will always think of me when he drives by and they are blooming but it may not be pleasant thoughts. He says he only grows what you can eat and cuts down anything his wife plants. Poor woman can't have a flower. he and I could not live together. I plan on surrounding myself with flowers because I think of them as smiles. My hubs road the golfcart over to his parents down the dirt road yesterday and came back with a few bitterweeds that he pulled and wanted to know if they were flowers or weeds. It was a Mothers day gift he said. I cut them off and stuck them in a flower arrangement I had on the backporch just so he would think he had done good. I think because I dig up wildflowers so much he thinks if it is a bloom it is a flower.lol. Have a good day I am going out to work outside. I cooked enough for his lunch and supper hopefully. Scraps
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 10, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7781786

Sheri,I'm glad you are alive too. I wonder how many people you affect everytime you go to your church,with your smile,or just your presence.
Age is not an enemy,despite the American rumor that it is. The older we get the more little things we can get away with,as long as we do it with a smile. people open doors for us. Pick things up off the floor for us. More people we don't know talk to us in lines etc.
Bitterweeds huh? LOL
I've seen spring flowers and ditch lillys bulldozed. both come back with a vengence.
Lilacs and roses do not.
I've got a black iris blooming. Don't remember
having one.
Vickie
scraps
Lena, MS
(Zone 7b)

May 10, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7781847

hello everyone, I hope you are all well.

vickie, maybe that was a gift from someone that you did not know you got. I love surprises like that. I think Sheri is beautiful, have you seen her picture? I bet she gets alot of smiles in return and not just ladies.LOL. I would love to meet her too.

sheri, if vickie comes to see you after coming here I will have to come too. I will hitch a ride home while she tours America. I have a hubs that would fuss if I stayed gone too long. One day I would love to travel though. I would not worry about age alot of men seems to like older women so there must be something good going on with them. I feel more alive than ever I just creak more when I walk now.LOL Be sure you read what I wrote on the compasssion thread. I did not want to type it twice because I can barely type anyway and I forgot to cut and paste. I need to look up some flowers in plant files now. have a good night everyone, scraps
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 11, 2010
9:17 PM

Post #7785453

Steph, I have several friends that have given me things That i don't remember and i usually remember very well who gave me what. It seems like i have a little part of them here. Think i bought the iris tho. I did buy several from Schriners.
The cannas are growing good.(they are in a container) The Holly does not look good tho.
I bought a gallon of strawberrys from a farm today and froze half of them.
I've got to go back into town tomorrow. Hope to stay home Thursday.
Night all.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 15, 2010
7:21 AM

Post #7794538

Vickie, what color are the cannas? Always thought they required a lot of TLC. Then, got my house in September, 2004 and found a few scraggly red ones growing in the 10-inch strip of dry, rocky soil between the house foundation and the driveway. Moved them to the side yard just to see what happened--and now they cover 25 square feet of space, grow five feet tall, and I have done absolutely nothing else to them. Lot of fun watching them thrive.

My boss gave me a container with half a dozen of these lilies last fall, got three of them through the winter in the original pot. Moved the survivors to this one in March until deciding where to put them. Think they will look beautiful planted with the Blackbird lilies and the yellow no-name lilies. Ordered the Blackbirds, but the yellow ones were on the 50 cent clearance at Lowes. About 20% of what's in the yard now came from Lowes clearance. If they don't grow, not much is lost. If they do? I get all smug and gloat about my financial savvy and environmentally responsible "green" ways. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Click the image for an enlarged view.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #7794690

That is really pretty!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 15, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7795854

Something I didn't expect from having a garden was how just the sight of something so colorful and alive--that I planted and nurtured myself--could make such a difference in both my mood AND in each day's aches and pains and twinges and twitches. 'Mazing how well "flora" therapy works, isn't it? :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 15, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #7795942

Carrie, does gardening tend to make people think alike? Just read Vickie's reply on one of the other threads and I basically quoted her on flower therapy without realizing it. lol

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 15, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7796259

Thanks for the Pistachio Salad recipe, Steph. Jim made it today. I had some after I came in from the outside heat. It i s a perfect hot weather dessert. Of course, I will probably still be wanting it when cold weather comes too. That could be a problem...for my waistline anyway. LOL.
Debra, Indian Shot cannas are so tough I use them here to control erosion on a sandy bank. I think almost all the dark leaf types have Indian Shot among their ancestors. In my experience, the green leaf types are a little less hardy so if you get any of those you might want to pamper them a bit more. I'm always looking for plants that work with the Indian Shot cannas in the background.
Are your new cannas still alive, Carrie. Still looking confused? LOL.
The wild tree hollys just don't transplant well, Vickie. I think I will look for seed in fall/winter. I'm a seed-y knind of lady. It seems I always do better with seeds. Some plants I want just aren't available from seed though.
Sheri, I always have trouble with those birthdays that end in 9's and 0's. After I get through the transition years. I'm okay again. I will post a pic on your b'day thread of what that flower turns out to look like. It will be a surprise for me too. LOL.
Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2010
9:07 PM

Post #7796343

Debra, You'll have to ask me about the hardiness of cannas next year. Kay gave me these. Have tried them before but they always froze out in 3 years time. These are in a container and will go in a protected place.
Havent you noticed all of us on this forum pretty much think alike. You know like in Great minds think alike. LOL
I love the Lowes bargains too. If you go there regularly and look around inside you can find fantastic houseplants at a good price too. Ours will get a few in and hide them in back with the kitchen appliances. Wish i could get over there more often. I buy all my hardware from Lowes.
That lily was a beautiful shade of red. I have some red ones but i don't think they are quite that shade.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 17, 2010
9:16 AM

Post #7800568

Another Lowes find that is on its third year. Hope the bright yellow sunshine is cheering to you. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
10:09 AM

Post #7800761

Vickie, you might want to consider putting the dark-leaf canna outside. (I just say dark-leaf because the leaves can be reddish, violet hued or bronze depending on the light condition they are grown in. ). Putting it outside would free up a container for more of your iris/daylily collection. They are one of the major plants in the west wall of your garden here so you have plenty of replacements if you end up staying wehre you are and it doesn't make it through a winter. That one is rated to Zone 6. Although, personally, I've come to think of hardiness zones as a very general guideline. You don't have to worry. It can hold its own against weeds. It tends to shade them out.
I'm in a warm colors period. Yellows, oranges and reds with just a little blue and violet to cool things down. That may just be because I can still see the sharp yellows and crisp blues. Cool colors vs. warm is a big debate between Jim and I. He prefers cool dark colors. Did you ever see that "Designing for the Sexes" show on HGTV? The one for couples who couldn't agree on how to decorate their house. I think there needs to be a garden show like that. LOL. Kay*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 17, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #7800867

Kay, that would be fun! Think we should suggest it to the network? :-)
Debra
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 17, 2010
5:05 PM

Post #7801974

This is the warmest orange I've ever seen. Managed to keep it going a couple of years, but the snow this year kinda did it in...

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
9:37 PM

Post #7802885

LOL. Now THAT is a plant for a low vision garden! I am classified as functionally blind, and even I can see it. It is like California poppy orange. Is that what it is? I just sort of see blobs of color.
I have a computer program that increases contrast, as well as increasing size. When I turned off the high contrast feature I COULD STILL SEE IT! ROFL. Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2010
10:11 PM

Post #7802968

Kay, That was a geranium,and i've never seen that color geranium before. That would cheer up the grinch.
We are not going to have a forum for color design for the sexes for you and Jim. DG would not survive. LOL
What other cheerful colors are you hiding in Texas Debra.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 18, 2010
6:57 AM

Post #7803764

Kay, I was hoping you could. This geranium came from another Lowes rack. Most of them were reds and pinks. That pot was the only orange on the rack. Tend to not like oranges as they are often harsh or garish. This one was just warm and glowing and alive. Snatched it up quickquick.

Vickie, my boss can be dictatorial--and stubborn. I kept resisting letting him pay my cell phone bill since I only used for work about 10% of the time, no big deal. Until one day he came back from lunch and had "hijacked" my cell number to an iPhone on his service account. I fussed and grumped and muttered. A technical illiterate who doesn't like change is going to have to use THIS? But the poor guy was so pleased with himself that I didn't have the heart to grumble too much. And it WAS a nice gesture. Then I discovered the handy-dandy camera. That the handy-dandy camera took pretty good pictures. And I didn't even have to PRINT THEM!! lol So, I check going and coming from work to see what new blossoms are ready that day and shoot a quick photo. Think the yellow lilies are next, they look about open. A friend sends me Wayside Gardens certificates for birthday and Christmas and I can use those to experiment with plants I wouldn't ordinarily try (or order from them since their quality and service have deteriorated). Like hollyhocks. Love them from childhood, but its pretty hot here for them. The ones planted last year are blooming now (rusty, but blooming), but it looks like all dark colors. Pretty, they just don't show well on camera. Howsomeever, there are some bright ones on the horizon. Will share as they pop out.

Debra
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2010
9:15 PM

Post #7805990

Am sad to hear about Wayside Gardens. I ordered from them some years ago.
I've about decided it's better to find a smaller well recommended place to buy anything you cannot see.The only problem is, when the word gets around,They get big too. LOL

My yellow lillys are opening up fast. My tiger lillys are across the road on my dog Bear,s grave. After they bloom I'm going to move some of them back over in front.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
7:31 AM

Post #7806720

I think there are a bunc of lillys of some type coming up in pots on my back deck. I must have scattered seed last fall. Can't wait to see what kind they are.
I am so bad about seeds. People send them to me . But I never am sure of when or exactly where to scatter them so consequently I have gobs of seeds that I don't know what to do with. Ya think if I just scattered them now on an areaq of dirt that some might grow??
I
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 19, 2010
8:35 AM

Post #7806952

Vickie, I was, too. Used them extensively when they were selling on eBay and had only a few, reasonable, problems with service and product. Seems like the Park Seed merge kinda confused everything and it started going downhill from there. We'll see what this last Christmas gift batch looks like. Have two Agastache, a Baptisia, and a yellow daisy enroute. :-) Most of my mail order now comes from Bluestone Perennials.

I don't do well with seeds. lol. A scatter 'em and see approach sounds like a good plan to me!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2010
8:46 PM

Post #7809317

Sheri There is no better way to get a surprise garden. The only drawback, a weed can sneak into the mix and you don't know it till it does nothing but get ugly.
I've ordered all my shrubs from Bluestone. They are a little pricey but they do send healthy plants. I keep saying i'm gonna order a Goatsbeard from them but have'nt yet.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 20, 2010
12:32 PM

Post #7811135

One of the best reasons to have a garden--fresh flowers at work... :-D

debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2010
8:10 PM

Post #7812350

When it rains for a week. It's nice to bring some inside in a vase.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 21, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #7813284

Kay, a good bright color for you. When I was in the third grade, our school had a fund raising project that involved selling petunias. Got really really really tired of them and refused to even consider having them around until a couple of years ago. Now I pot some intense colors each spring and watch 'em go. Have a deep rich purple that you can almost lose yourself in it draws you in so well.

Vickie, there's some self hypnosis using color. LOL

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2010
2:36 PM

Post #7814528

I love both those colors! Red is great!
scraps
Lena, MS
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
2:53 PM

Post #7814574

hello everyone, I found a few minutes alone to jump on and say "hi" I am in a hurry but I wanted to check in so you guys would not send the sheriff out here. He might catch me being Lazy. It is to humid to breathe here and has rained for several days. I hate yucky humid days. I suffer pain wise. Why, I do not know but it makes me ill(%itchy) too. I have to cook supper but thought i would say Hi.

debra I enjoyed the flowers so much. It always makes me smile. I never have much time to get pics and post them. i am lousy at posting them anyway.

Love and Prayers, scraps

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2010
5:00 PM

Post #7814885

hi steph!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 21, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #7815104

Carrie and Scraps, will keep the photographs coming. Have new African "Eskimo White" marigolds about to open. Looking forward to that. Think I lost the Sunset Echinacea to an enormous fire ant mound, of all things, but the Magnus and Pixie Meadowbrites are opening. And the Oranges and Lemons gaillardia, too.

Debra
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7815537

Loved the pics you've posted Steph. So no excuses get those pics online. This comes from the one who does'nt even own a camara.LOL
I can't breathe in humid hot air.hot Dry air is no problem.
Oh Debra, Those fireant hills. When we first moved up here(where there are no fireants) I would go around for months kicking ant hills to make sure ants did'nt come piling out as fireants do. These American ants just don't get overly perturbed about anything.
I've got one of those red petunias.along with pink ,purple and white. Yes one pot has all of them together.
I spent $3.00 for a hot pink elephant ear today. After the eye doctor I spent the day at Hobby Lobby ad Lowes. Go back to eye doctor the 17th for more blood work. Don't know why. Did'nt ask. probably just being prepared for lil ol lady.LOL Got crochet instructions for shopping bags.A summer silk flower stalk.and some glass bits for a flowerpot and the elephant ear from Lowes. I was a big spender. I had enough sense not to go into Hastings books.
I noticed while looking around that the only daylilly i ever see on sale at box stores is yellow Stella D oro. I wonder why. Shall we raise some red ones and make a fortune.LOL

The time they hypnotized me, Part of the time it was like looking thru lime jello. May be why they just let me do it myself. LOL I have no controll over my wild imagination.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 22, 2010
9:16 AM

Post #7816750

Vickie, sounds like you had a good day. I like Hobby Lobby, just don't go in too much or I'd never have any money! We don't have too many Hastings here, and there are none close enough to me for shopping. But we do have Half Price Books and THAT one is dangerous. :-) Nice deal on the elephant ear. I have all kinds of bits and goodies saved to make flower pots and garden plaques and such. Just never get around to doing anything with them. At least I stopped stockpiling before I officially became a hoarder. LOL

Not sure why you only see the yellow ones up there. We have all kinds of colors available at Lowes and Home Depot. Maybe it's because Dallas area people are spoiled and get vocal and whiny when they don't have "a nice selection." Works out okay for those of us who quietly grumble to ourselves, though. Here is one you might like. Can't remember which of the two box stores I got it from. The picture was taken last year.

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #7816996

Debra, that's a dramatic red! Reds sometime have a tendency to recede to my eyes. Not that one. LOL.
Tried to work outside this morning, but had to give up after awhile. A solitary bee just would not leave me in peace. It didn't try to sting. It just followed me around the gardens buzzing my ears and resting in my hair. I would toss my head and it would fly off for a few minutes, but it kept coming back and doing the same thing. Someone should make bee repellent, the way they make mosquito repellent. Jim says this is what I get for using some of the rose water I made as a hair rinse instead of using it all to cook him Penn Dutch goodies. LOL. Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2010
11:24 AM

Post #7817072

I *think* that the plants that self-seed or multiply easily in our gardens, that we always have extras of, the nurseries that sell to the BigBoxes have extras of too. The ones that the fire ants eat, are eaten by fire ants in their fields too. These nurseries are in business to make a lot of money, not to be the first one to breed a purple and red striped reblooming DL. They only grow them when it's economically worth it. If they thought they could market kudzu, they would. We ourselves have enough Stella D'oro to pave the driveway instead of asphalt!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 22, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #7817804

Carrie, that makes sense. Volume sales are more cost-effective than small lot sales. Do you think commercial bulk users might contribute to driving the supply/selection? We have so much construction going on at all times that landscaping is year-round. Awhile back, it was Bradford Pears everywhere, then it was Stella d'Oro for everything, and lately it's been Knockouts. The selection at the box stores seemed to maintain a parallel inventory. Unless its the other way around and the landscapers incorporated what was cheap and available already? LOL

Kay, what a great use for rose water. Sorry you didn't get to stay out long. Sounds like a friendly bee. This afternoon, I was trimming a Spanish lavender when an odd, pretty substantial moth flew out from underneath and landed on my shin. Was trying to figure out exactly what it looked like: three inch wingspan, thick cylindrical body, mostly beige, pink flashes under its wings. It flew off in a minute or two, but didn't get four feet away before this mockingbird swooped over my shoulder and nabbed it midair. The bird is nesting in a nearby tree and I didn't think much of it except to be amused at the timing. Darned if that bird didn't come back in a little while and start chattering to me. Not squawking like it was mad, more like "hey, thanks for lunch." Every time I moved to another part of the yard, it followed and kept chattering. Flew off to chase cats, then would come back. Did that for half an hour until it went into the trees and stayed. Was very funny. :-)

Debra

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #7820769

I'm looking for a 'Rainbow' knock-out - I never thought to look at HD or somewhere like that ... maybe they're not endemic up north yet.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 23, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #7820797

Carrie, if you like mail order and it would be helpful, I found a few sites that still show available stock of the Rainbow.

http://www.starkbros.com/access?action=product&productID=10162&collection=0
http://henryfields.com/product.asp?pn=76195&quick&bhcd2=1274658310
http://springhillnursery.com/rainbow-knock-out%3Csup%3E%3C-sup%3E-rose/p/80958/

Debra

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #7820829

I'm happy to mail order - I had actually ordered them already but the place I ordered them was in OR and had bad freezes this winter. Thanks for the links!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #7820852

Stark Bros is sold out, and I generally feel one should buy roses from a rose seller, not one of those a little bit of everything people. I had bad experience with Springhill before - let me check the reviews of the other place.

This message was edited May 23, 2010 8:24 PM
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 23, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7820910

Thanks for letting me know. :-)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 25, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7827554

Happy, Happy, Carrie!

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #7827577

Debra, Do you ever get down to the Tyler TX Rose gardens.We use to go there some. Here's a link to one of the Tyler rose grower sites.
http://www.chambleeroses.com
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 25, 2010
6:10 PM

Post #7827628

Vickie, I used to buy five or six dozen bouquets from the side of the road vendors when I visited my mother, but never went to the gardens there. Would love to go to the David Austin gardens, too. They used to allow visitors, don't know if they still do. Have a couple of Austin roses and love them.

Debra

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7827649

Thank you, Debra!!!!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #7827698

I'd forgotten about the roadside rose vendors. I used to pick some up also, I don't remember the price but they were so cheap it seemed.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 26, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7831133

Vickie, they were a buck a dozen for most of the time I traveled to Tyler. Once, I had "orders" from every woman on my floor at the office and had 22 dozen in the car on the way back. :-)

Debra

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #7831238

Wait, rose plants or cut roses?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 26, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7831321

Cut roses. "Honor-system" stands lined the road leading out of Tyler to the Interstate. You'd pick out your bouquet(s) and put the money in a container (a coffee can most often), then away you'd go. I haven't been off the highway there in about 15 years, so I don't know if the stands are still around.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7831322

Carrie, Cut roses. I bet that was one sweet smelling car!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 27, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #7832970

Somebody stop me, please!!! LOL Looked on Bluestone site to see pricing on catananche. Had some last year and really liked them. But, uh-oh...50% clearance sale. The box came yesterday. Six echinaceas, three coreopsis, three blue catananche, three lavenders, and another red daylily (Chicago Apache). Whew. Now I have to pace myself to plant them...and find a place TO plant them. LOL

Debra
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2010
9:08 AM

Post #7832989

LOL Debra, When you run out of room you can always plant in containers and start planting upwards.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 27, 2010
9:37 AM

Post #7833128

Vickie, yeah, but I made the mistake of looking again today and EVERYTHING is on clearance now...oh, boy...

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 27, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #7833147

Vickie, forgot this. Took it for you. My 50 cent clearance lilies. They are just spreading away. See that rosemary behind? It is one plant that stretches across that entire width of yard. Had to put a "collar" on it to keep the middle upright. Probably should cut it way back, I just like it all huge and sprawly when I know it came out of a six inch pot to begin with.

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2010
11:18 AM

Post #7833483

Hi, Everyone. Still trying to catch up on what you've all been up too. It used to be that one of the advantages of being a VI was no impulse buying, but now most nurseries have their catalogs online and Zommtext will read it for you. The catalog compilers are so-o-o good at description. Impulse buying is a problem again. LOL.
Oh, Steph! Thank you so much. The package arrived yesterday. You made my day! Your work is beautiful. I love the texture of the yarn. I donít handle cold well at all and I routinely make trips to PA, NY and VT so it will be useful. The winter gear sold here is mainly marketed to hunters and serious outdoorsmen so it is very utilitarian looking. Now, I have something pretty for my next trip.
Jim laid claim to the Standing Cypress seeds you sent because those are said to be a hummingbird magnet. Every year there seem to be one or two more hummingbirds taking up residence here. Theyíve gotten so brazen they literally get in my face when their feeders are dry. Iíve come to think of them as Jimís troupe of spoiled, demanding prima ballerinas and world class ballets. They are graceful and gorgeous and they know it. LOL. Their antics keep Jim laughing though. He talks about the individual birds and their doings like some people talk about daytime soap operas and soap opera characters. I think watching hummers is almost as addictive. LOL. Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2010
4:03 PM

Post #7834364

EVERYTHING at Bluestone is 50% off? More than used to be off? Yeesh, my order just arrived today and who knows when I'll able to plant them. I'd better not look.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2010
4:25 PM

Post #7834440

Carrie, So proud you got your new flowers. Will have to check Bluestone out. Dadgum it can;t buy anything till next week tho.
Oh well it'll be fun looking tho.
Vickie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 27, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7834475

Hi Kay! Hope you are feeling better. :-)

Carrie, everything is on sale/clearance. Most are 50%, but some are only 25%. I looked again a few minutes ago...but I was strong!! Deleted that cart before I could hit checkout...LOL

Debra
scraps
Lena, MS
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
6:16 PM

Post #7834696

Hello everyone, I just came in from working outside all day. I weeded, cut grass, cleaned the carport, sprayed the house and porches with bug spray and cooked a huge meal this morning, enough for 2 meals. I love getting work done and checking things off the mental chore list. However, my body does not. But I took a little time to rest before a long hot shower. I feel better now. I can sit on the porch and look at my yard all neat for a day or two.

Kay, I am glad you liked it. I like the plants you sent so much I thought you deserved a treat. I have a hummingbird feeder and enjoy watching them while sitting on the porch. I did not know they would fight over it. They chase each other away from it. I cannot tell them apart unless they are different colors.

Debra, I enjoy your pictures so much. Those yellow lillies are great.

Vickie, I am so broke I can't even look at the flowers online or I might get in trouble. I am having to sneak them in already.LOL. I give my DD a few bucks and she buys them and gives them to me as gifts. If I get caught I will get the death sentence.LOL. Love and Prayers, scraps
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 27, 2010
11:51 PM

Post #7835405

Scraps, I'm shocked. Deceiving your poor DH that way. ROFL. And, you, Debra, are a wicked influence. Leading innocent gardeners to lust after strange plants. Kay found some hardy geraniums on that site she now thinks she HAS to have. lol. The Advance Search on that site works altogether too well. :-)
It looks like Iím going to become a regular on the Plant and Tree ID forum. Iíve been shooting for identifying a plant a day and linking it to a PlantFiles page. I thought todayís would be easy. Fern-leaf yarrow. Everyone here says it is fern-leaf yarrow. According to everything Iíve found the bloom is supposed to be some shade of yellow. The blooms on ours are white. Everything else fits, but the bloom is undeniably white. Iím beginning to wonder about those old Creek superstitions about this place. Or, actually White Spirit Creek, the tiny spring that forms our northern boundary. Albino deer, albino squirrels, albino fish, albino fern-leaf yarrow? lol.
Vickie, think we can compromise on navy blue for the wall of our garden? The paint color there now was supposed to be a very, very dark blue. But, I have to admit it is black with blue undertones. Dark blue will contrast nicely with the pink, donít you think? Lol.
Kay is evicting any plant that does not have a scent from the VIís fragrance garden so I am creating a new garden area with all of her rejects. A lot of native daylilies and glads that mirror the dayliliesí colors. Also, Lots of spiderwort and blue salvia. I hope the general rule that orange and blue make a good contrast applies to bright orange and bright blue. All the colors across the front strip are carnival colors. There is an electrical pole and some other related eyesores in that space so it has generously been given to the men. The presence of burn hazel and poison ivy might have something to do with the ladies generosity, too. The creation of the Wild Men's Garden has officially begun! Iíll post before and after pics. The soil is so poor in that corner that Kay knowingly and willingly planted yucca as erosion control. (Sh-h-h, donít tell Bonnie.) I will find out for myself if all Iíve heard on these threads about the toughness of daylilies is true. Everyone calls the gladiolas ďnative gladsĒ. They came from a long abandoned homestead and survived complete neglect so I have hope for them in the space. (Jim)

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #7835803

Jim - If you want to tone down that bright orange wall, a beige tone done with the scrunched plastic bag method or sponge would look good.

Sheri
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2010
9:38 AM

Post #7836120

Jim, I recently picked up some Valspar paint color samples from Lowes. I was thinking of repainting my living room to match a copy painting of sunflowers. The colors included your orangy color. The combination i liked best was Church hill maple and cream delight with the orange. You might try looking at Lowes to pick a color. To know what combinations already go together.Personally i like startling color combinations. Makes a statement. LOL
I think i have some native Glads i picked up somewhere.I don't remember what color they are. The nice thing about having a rotten memory is you can be totally surprised over and over. LOL
I just hope Bluestone has some flowers left in a couple of days.
Most of My daylillys are covered in buds.What more can one ask for in life.
Vickie
scraps
Lena, MS
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #7836963

hello everyone,

Jim, I am going to have to put you on a retainer fee and say you are my legal counsel or my Dr. so that the confidentiality clause will keep you from telling the DH on me.LOL. I am sure all the ladies know about keeping secrets like that. He has tools that I am sure he did not ask me about before purchasing so I think he will understand my not mentioning my purchases. However, If he sees them come in the door he will say "More Flowers? we are going to go broke over stupid flowers". So I am just saving him the hassle. He always says the yard looks good when I get the grass cut and work done so I have to keep things looking good.

Sorry got to run BBL scraps
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2010
1:49 PM

Post #7837013

Steph, In my experience most all husbands are like that about flowers unless they get the bug themselves. We won't go into wives and fishing gear.LOL
Try giving him a plant for Fathers Day.LOL Something easy like a daylilly.
scraps
Lena, MS
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2010
4:03 PM

Post #7837335

Vickie, he would think I have lost that last marble and have me committed. Of course, you get to do crafts in the looney bin. I might could use the break.LOL.
Tomato plants or something he could eat maybe. When he was in kindergarten or first grade the teacher told him to color a flower on a Mother's Day card and he refused and she told him someday he would have a wife who loved flowers and he would have to help her plant them. He said he shook his head really really hard and said," Oh no I won't" She was so right and may be psychic.
scraps
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7837380

Steph, In that cse give him a tomato plant AND a marigold and tell him marigolds keep bugs away from tomato.
I'm a pro at arguing with DH,s for what i really really want. LOL

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 28, 2010
4:45 PM

Post #7837448

Vickie and Scraps, Was only married a couple of years and that was 25 back. If ever I finally choose to do it again, I'll come to you two for advice on "persuasion." :-)

Debra
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7837455

Debra, Think you'd better leave well enough alone. I would'nt get married again.LOL
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2010
5:05 PM

Post #7837512

Cubits has gone off line!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #7838044

Crap. I really didn't think that would happen.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2010
4:16 PM

Post #7846673

We haven't had any joys for a while so I thought I would post mine. First,my adult step-son moved out the other day. The room he was in is really too small to be bedroom anyway, and he kept it like a pigpen! So I had all these plans about how I would turn it into an office for myself. I am going to move the wooden shelves from the bedroom that don't fit in the bedroom and put the boxes of papers on them. I'm going to get someone to install a closet system to replace the wooden shelves. Etc. There's FABULOUS light in there. So here I am with all my plans. We thought he was moving out permanently! He's 27!

So he thought he was moving all his stuff out so we could paint! Hmmph. DH and he had a talk and he's probably moving back in but we'll make him a room in the basement where I can't go anyway. ANYWAY...

I went to HD and bought PAINT and PRIMER and of course many more FLOWERS!!! Which makes me HAPPY! So I am laughing with joy!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

May 31, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #7847022

LOL. Carrie, you are right. Forget Disneyland. Home Depot and Lowes are the happiest places on earth. Did I tell you that the Valspar and Sherwin Williams Texas plants are within two miles of my house? :-) And the Dallas Arboretum is less than four? Not been to any of them (shame on me for not visiting the flower garden), but I feel surrounded by happy!

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 31, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7847428

Man, can I relate to that! When you have children, you apparently have them forever. That is one thing I didnít really understand when Mike died and I became Nadineís guardian. I thought you got them thru college and out on their own and that was it. The job was done. lol. Nadine just called to ask if she could come back home. She told me she loves the landscape of CT, but the cost of living is so high she canít get ahead. Kay laughs that her decision probably has more to do with the fact that her boyfriend has decided to return to his family home in Mississippi. lol. Kay also told me I donít have to worry about gearing the guest area to her because she ask where on the property she could build her house. It sounds like she is planning to stay. lol. Thatís okay. Amargia really does need an artist in residence. And, Nadi is as solid and dependable as someone her age can be. After dealing with J.ís erratic and flaky behavior, Nadiís artsy-type eccentricities donít seem like a big deal. I have an entirely new appreciation of her. And, she has been on her own long enough now to know how cushy she had it here so I think she has a new appreciation for me. My rules donít seem so confining to her now.
Vickie, Iíll check that out. Those sound about like the colors I have decided on. Going with an Indian motif was too floral and gilded for my taste. I like the ďChutney.Ē Iíve just come to the conclusion there is too much of a good thing. The color is over-powering in such mass. I think I will tone down one wall with wallpaper or a treatment such as the one Sheri suggested. Iím setting it up to be a den/sewing and crafts room. I also thought I would put the exercise equipment in there, if there is enough space. High energy colors will work in that case. It wonít have to be toned down as much as it would have if it were going to be a bedroom.
Kay would probably tell you being married to a fellow gardener has downsides. She doesnít get to landscape exactly as she wants anymore. I always put my 2-cents worth in. Iím tolerable only because I donít have enough garden experience to think I know better than she does. Give me time. Lol.
Scraps, we can consider ourselves one anothers poorly paid psychotherapist. I think they have to keep confidences. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2010
1:18 PM

Post #7849216

Of course we keep confidences!
scraps
Lena, MS
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7849517

Hey you guys, Hope you are all doing well today. I had to come in out of the rain. We got a nice quick downpour. But now it is too muddy to do much outside. I am sure all the thousands of others who are online also keep confidences. If he ever googles my name it will probably send him here anyway. LOL who cares it would just be another battle over money spent on flowers and that is nothing new.
I have been trying to get the yard in order and looking good for my youngest DD who has a Bday party on the 12th and the downpour knocked all my plants over so I will have to stake some of them and may have lost some. It is my anniversary( June 9 actual date) and my mom's bday so it will be a nice gettogether for us. I am excited because it will be our first big party at the new house but I still have alot I want to do so I will not be online much so I just wanted you guys to know I am busy. Love and Prayers, scraps

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2010
3:13 PM

Post #7849588

Yay, congrats, Steph! Sounds like fun ... it's raining on and off here too, but it's a relief from the mugginess.

May I had your name to the real name screen name thread I have started? Bonnie and I were talking about how hard it is to keep track and I offered to keep a list, which I have seen done in other forums.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2010
2:23 AM

Post #7850917

We got a little shower a couple days ago. Tomorrow i'll have to water my flowers. Thursday i'll be off camping again.
Steph, I know your yard is beautiful with all the work you put into it. Just thinking tho...Are we ever really happy with our gardens? Seems like there is always something else we dream of doing. Thats the beauty of gardening tho.

Watched a movie with John Denver tonight. Foxfire. Thought of you Kay, Denver sang with a terrible southern accent. Twas not funny! And i love southern accents.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 2, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #7852603

Vickie, this one's for you. :-)

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2010
1:42 PM

Post #7852609

That's beautiful - my favorite shade of pinky peach or what-would-you-call-it? Reminds me of my Rainbow Knock-out roses which are often described as glowing coral with a yellow center.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 2, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #7852816

Carrie, I'd call it pinky peach, too. Real bad about losing the markers, but I think it is a Barbara Mitchell daylily. Guess the name doesn't matter, though, the color makes me smile, anyway. :-)

Debra

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7852962

Me too, Debra!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

June 2, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #7852981

When you asked Kay's grandmother the name of a plant, she would usually say something like, "I don't know, Sugar. This one has never formally introduced itself to me. She said that a lot, but she could sure make them grow.
Vickie, being bounced from place to place so much I tend to automatically adjust my speech to the people around me. I lapse into southern sometimes. Drives Kay up the wall!!! lol. She claims no REAL southener sounds like I do.
Enjoy your family and don't work too hard, Steph. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 2, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #7853268

I am sooo happy! The Sunset Echinacea I thought was destroyed by fire ants reseeded about three feet away from the original site. Whoopieeee! The orange will soften and pink-up as they open and mature, but ain't it cool now? LOL

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #7853361

YAY you! Gee I wish I'd remembered to ask them to turn on the light before they left!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #7853919

wether it's pink,peach or pinky peach,it's lovely. Thanks.
That is one big pretty coneflower too.
I still don't have a daylily blooming. The buds are big and turning colors but they are'nt open.
I may put one in the car when i leave again and take it with me.
Jim, you guys are still planning to come up in July are'nt you?

Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2010
10:28 AM

Post #7855258

My stellas are opening -- too bad I don't like yellow!

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2010
10:52 AM

Post #7855353

Flowers in the peach/apricot range are currently Nadi's garden passion. She wants a small space to dedicate to them. Think they would look okay grouped together like that? Or, would it just be a collector's sort of thing. Nadine has a tendency toward collecting.
We were shooting for August, if you are still going to be in the area, Vickie. But, feel free to come here whenever you think you are up to the drive. You can Ďcamp outí in Jimís orange room. If he doesnít come up with a working plan soon, Iíll put my Auburn University stuff in there . Orange and blue are Auburnís school colors. LOL. Or, maybe those Texas longhorns! Nadine will be here in August to look after things then and can be trusted not to party too hardy. I wouldn't call her shy or a loner, but she does like a quiet and predictable private space. She goes out to do her partying. LOL. The Lord moves in mysterious ways. She and J. in close proximity would have been a nightmare. They have completely different needs. J. always wanted people and activity around her. J. is currently living in a group situation now in a fairly large city upstate. She actually seems to be doing better in that living situation. I'm frustrated with her drama queen antics, but I do wish her well. I pray she finds what she needs to be happy.
If poor Jim didnít have his hair buzz cut, he would be pulling it out. Hunting down the botanical name based on a common name can be a frustrating job.
Yesterday, he took on the ďEaster liliesĒ. There are 3 distinct plants here that are called Easter lilies. Two may actually be lilium longifolium. The third Iíve always called Bermuda lily, but Jim says according to his research, that is just another common name for lilium longifolium. Iím beginning to wonder if it is even in the lilium family. As the writer of a recent DG article wrote, the name ďlilyĒ is applied to plants in a rather indiscriminate way. For this one I will need the help of a very old native of the Deep South who knew (and can still remember) botanical names or the help of those on the plant and tree identification forum. The plant and tree ID forum will be easier to find. LOL. Good memory isnít a common trait in people old enough to remember when Easter lilies had a strong scent. I still love this plant because it is incredibly fragrant. The flowers look just like what is sold in the stores today as Easter lilies. I think it must have been the foliage that caused it to fall out of favor. Strappy leaves that are a glossy light green and often a hand-span wide. Dramatic, but problematic because they tend to sprawl. They look good in pots or raised beds where they can drape. They donít look so good planted in ground.
If Amargia didnít have an educational element, I probably would not worry about knowing botanical names. But, we do. Iíll get a good photo of it tomorrow and see what other DGers can tell me. Also, Iíll make sure Jim makes his Saturday appointment at the barber. Kay*

Thumbnail by Amargia

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2010
3:47 PM

Post #7856254

Jim gets his hair cut once a week? Good idea. There aren't many barbers around here anymore, though, just Supercuts etc.

Didja see? Our names thread got made into a "sticky" so it'll always be at the top for easy reference.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

June 4, 2010
9:39 AM

Post #7858410

this Bee MY LILY!
Photo: Asiatic Lily with perturbed Bee.

Thumbnail by seacanepain

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 4, 2010
9:44 AM

Post #7858420

Wondermous!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #7858667

Bee-yoo-ti-full! Monday DEFINITELY I'm going to plant my gladiolas and lilies which are aching, begging, moaning to be planted ... my Saturday PCA doesn't garden much yet .

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2010
6:42 PM

Post #7859655

I think your PCAs should give you some sort of discount for adding gardening skills to their resume, but I guess they would not see it that way. :-) I would like to add to my palette of glad colors this year. This and a pink are all I have at the moment. Disgraceful, for a gardener in this part of the country. Abbysinian glads would be my choice since I could appreciate the fragrance of those.
Jim has started using the Cultivar Finder on PlantFiles so I suppose I won't have a bald husband anytime soon. But, now he wants hazard pay for photographing flowers. At least, the ones the bees like. LOL.
Vickie, Miss Kitty ask me to tell you she wants a traveling pot too. Catnip in hers, please. :-) I once honestly considered remodeling an old school bus for traveling. It could be like a greenhouse on wheels. A perfect place for my plant acquisitions to make their trip home. Haven't talked Jim into trying that yet. I remember reading a suspense novel in which the main character took her jade plant with her on the road when she traveled across country. It had sentimental value to her and she didn't have anyone she trusted to keep it watered. The jade plant died in a car crash in the final chapter. Ah-h-h. How big is this gypsy pot of yours anyway? Kay*

Thumbnail by Amargia

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7860594

Oh, Kay, that is BEAUTIFUL! Nature always does such a good job with colors .. I would (myself) shy away from putting red and orange and yellow together but that glad is just gorgeous! And you don't have to buy the m and replant every year? Hmmm. Very interesting.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2010
9:46 PM

Post #7865691

Beautiful flowers,everyone. Grandmother had Easter lillys she called Regal lillys.They had a fantastic aroma They had just a touch of purple on the outside veins.
I need to check on my catnip and pull some to dry for Miss Kitty. Glad you mentioned it.
I'll be here the rest of the summer. It is way too hot outside for me this year. and even tho i want to do stuff in town. I love it up here. DD and i are talking tho nothing has changed. I've put an end to drinking in the condo. GS chose to camp out.
You guys have almost talked me into painting some around here.
Over the years camping out, we had a motor home, a camper, a pickup shell, tents, and nothing but the bare ground. I always had alot of fun making semi comfortable what ever came to hand.I made some fair pinestraw beds.
Carrie,I have a sunflower picture in my living room that is yellow,orange and red, tho muted colors.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 7, 2010
9:09 AM

Post #7866686

You have to dig glads in fall there, Carrie? Even those that are advertised as 'hardy glads'? I will have to remind myself of stuff like that when it gets so hot here and I dream of living up north. It all sort of balances out, I guess.
Yeah, Vickie, sometimes you just need to get away for awhile whether you can really afford to or not. Camping out makes that possible. This trip will be fun because we don't have to be anywhere at a certain time. It has been awhile since I've had the luxury of traveling like that. Even if I were sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag it would feel like a luxury.just knowing I didn't HAVE to get up and do something.
Scraps, remember the little hydrangea shoot I popped in your package at the last minute. I said it was a white. Uh-h-h, here is the Mamma in bloom. Oooops! Jim claims the bees like this one a lot so he wants breakfast in bed tomorrow as his payment for this mornings garden shots. I might actually do it just to spook him. LOL. Kay*

Thumbnail by Amargia

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #7867426

Some people dig glads, Kay, that's too labor-intensive for me. The "hardy glads" in particular are gorgeous for one year and then disappear. I have a friend in ON, Canada who says her non-hardy glads keep coming up for her year after year - there's an article about glads and then a long thread about it if you're interested.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 7, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #7868490

Carrie, Glads don't do well here without lots of supplemental water. Too bad because I really like them, too.

Kay, I love the form and color of that hydrangea. Have tried three times to grow ANY kind and killed all three. LOL Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Debra
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2010
8:08 PM

Post #7868602

Debra, I've tried several times to grow hydrangeas too with no success.
My cannas are still doing good.
I wish i could muster some energy to get something done here. I feel wiped out.
gathered up some stuff to take to Salvation Army tomorrow.
Will go to group tomorrow too.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2010
8:57 AM

Post #7869662

let us know how group goes - well , you don't have to, but I'm interested. Is TODAY your real birthday? Happy Birthday!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 8, 2010
9:09 AM

Post #7869688

Vickie, Happy Happy Birthday!!

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 8, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #7870948

Vicki,
Tried to get this for you earlier and the wind didn't want to cooperate. :-) Its blurry, but the colors!! Happy Birthday present...

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #7871007

Happy Birthday to you, Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Vickie! Happy birthday to you! ^_^
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7871347

Thank you so very much. It was today but am now old enough to celebrate two days. LOL
I've been cravin a chocolate brownie and bought one while in town and injoyed every bite.
That is a beautiful daylilly Debra.
Group went good. One of the ladys DH is having surgery this week. They've never been apart and she is really worried. He has cancer but they think they've found it in time. So they need prayers.
We're due to have good rains the rest of the week. Poison ivy will probably act like kudsu and take over.
I almost bought a hydrangia at Walmarts but remembered all i have murdered and resisted.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 10, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #7877313

I am very happy. The Moses' Fire daylily that has been so patiently waiting in its container for a bed to call home bloomed today! I cannot believe the color. Supposed to be darker red, but the goldorangepeachyellow meld of light is incredible.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 11, 2010
7:17 AM

Post #7878229

And...just around the corner from my office I discovered this---glads!! Nice healthy ones, too. Maybe I'll try some at home.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

seacanepain
Midland City, AL

June 11, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #7879177

Debra, leave your address in D-mail, if you would like to try some of the native Gulf Coast glads. I know there are also some pink ones around that were recovered from an abandoned farmstead, but I haven't seen them yet this year. Those are almost as tough as the native orange. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 11, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7879538

Will do. Thank you, Jim. :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #7880015

That moses fire is my kind of daylily! Wowee kazowee! Oh, Vickie, I'll send you a hydrangea to murder if you like; there's no need to spend money on them! I have QuickFire - if you look it up in PlantFiles half the pictures are mine, I was so thrilled! I have a few cuttings rooted b/c I'm moving my now-giant bush in the fall.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2010
2:18 AM

Post #7880963

Carrie that is beautiful. I'd love a start. Would you like a lilac?
Where are you moving your big bush?
You know i'll probably kill it. Someone told me my dogpen would be a good place to put one.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7881150

Are there still dogs there? This is little ittty and bitty - but it already has flowerbuds on it! I just wouldn't want anyone to think you were burying a bone. Is your address in the exchange? When I got it (in exchange for something else) it had not yet been released to the public. It was just a stick. No buds or I don't remember leaves, but I could be remembering wrong. My starts have several sets of leaves, are about 6" - 8" tall and have flowers at the top. It was very easy to start - I can make more any time. (Anybody else want one?)

Thanks but no thanks on the lilac - it's too big for my land and too cold when they bloom! I have a "lilac tree," Syringa I forget but it blooms right now and smells heavenly - better than lilacs, to my nose.

It totally outgrew its spot. We're going to move (that is, DH is and I will cheer madly) it out to the front where it has more room and can be seen from the street.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 14, 2010
2:35 PM

Post #7888372

Carrie, here is the Sunset Echinacea. Much more mellow in color as the blooms mature. Although the extreme early heat and lack of rain here does make it look a little bedraggled and wan...

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2010
2:57 PM

Post #7888444

Oh, Debra, I think it's bee-yoo-ti-full! I've pretty much given up on coneflowers. The ones I buy to buy short or fragrant or pink or whatever don't come up, just the old tall purple ones that I'm always looking up at.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 14, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #7888457

want me to send a cutting off this one? be happy to if it isn't too late to pot up or dig in in milton

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7888550

Nothing is happening in Milton; my tomatoes aren't growing; I'm hating the monarda that survive so well, all over town there is beautiful yarrow but the yarrow I used to hate - too weedy - just didn't come back much at all! It's not too late - is it short or tall? Is it hardy? Could I grow it in a pot for the summer and then pop it right into the spot vacated by my hydrangea which I'm going to move? That's probably too shady. Does it like a lot of sun? How do you root a coneflower cutting? Is that too many questions?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 14, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #7888679

It grows about 24" tall. Is supposed to be hardy to Zone 4. Think a pot, then planting would be fine. Here it wants afternoon shade. There? Probably full sun. I would dig out part of the plant with the root, put it in a little pot for week or so to let it 'rest', then send it on. They grow well from seed, too. Not too many questions. :-) My home Internet is down until late tomorrow and am leaving the office now, but will be checking again in the morning. If you would like to try it, just send me an address and away we'll go! LOL
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2010
3:17 PM

Post #7891452

Carrie, Purple and white coneflowers grow wild here. They are mostly on the edge of woods so maybe partial shade would do.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2010
8:35 AM

Post #7893497

I know a place with full sun! I am digging out the boring pink geranium to trade for some irises - now that the stupid dead tree is gone, we have a LOT more sun. It will look splendid next to g. Rozanne, at least according to my official color scheme! Let's do it! Plus I have to send Vickie her hydrangea so she can kill it, lol.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #7894032

Debra- that coral echanacia is the lovliest color I have ever seen for them. There is something, a Mexican sunflower (I think) that I usually can find to purchase in that color, but not this year.
Hugs all around,
Sheri
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 17, 2010
11:49 AM

Post #7897097

Internet still down at house, but Miss Carrie, your baby plant is going in it's pot this evening. :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2010
1:29 PM

Post #7900086

Thank you, Miss Debra! I only hope it arrives after July 8? Or before the end of June? Is that possible for one to request?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 18, 2010
3:39 PM

Post #7900668

If I ship on June 26 via Priority Mail, the box should arrive by June 30. Or I can wait to ship until July 10. Both are Saturdays, but if shipped Thursday or Friday, the package might end up sitting in the post office for a couple of days. Let me know which works best for you. :-)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2010
11:38 PM

Post #7901819

Miss Sheri, Glad you're here.
Miss Debra, The temp hit 100* in the valley today. 92* up here. I can't imagine how hot you got in Dallas. Someone at the doctors office said"You do realze this is only June!"
Miss Carrie, everyone around has hydrangias blooming now Maybe i should go around and ask them all, Just how they grow them. LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2010
7:38 AM

Post #7902342

Miss Vickie, big smile! This was my first - DH didn't like them before we got this one; this is not a blue-pink one. This is just cream-brick, and it's not pH dependent, or I have the right pH!

Miss Debra, shipping July 10 would probably be safer (on your end). I will ship ASAP. Prolly Monday, as I said. I have to make a list of to whom
i'm sending what! You realize Ech.s don't like me ...
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

June 19, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #7902401

Carrie, if it doesn't work, we'll try again. :-)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2010
11:34 PM

Post #7904386

Carrie, I'll save you some seed and have my witch cat put a good spell on them.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 10, 2010
1:07 PM

Post #8031606

that's us...hope the whole thing comes through. lol

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #8032067

Obviously, ferns are very feminine! I love it when I see in my thread-watcher "still laughing with joy" come up, since we are!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

August 12, 2010
1:14 PM

Post #8035845

Uh-Oh, I like ferns. Should I be worried? Maybe not, since it is big, macho ferns like Austrilian tree ferns and ostrich ferns that catch my eye. Whew! :-)Jim

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2010
12:43 PM

Post #8037851

Jim, you're fine.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 13, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #8037989

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2010
3:17 PM

Post #8038129

Good one.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #8040134

Yep! Thats a keeper.
Is it time to get out fall silk flowers and jack o lanterns? Or am i rushing the season.Maybe it'll scare up some cool weather.The first cool week and i'm going camping!!!!!
Carrie, What kind of seed was i going to save for you?
Not that i have a memory problem or anything.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

August 15, 2010
9:02 AM

Post #8041203

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2010
4:08 PM

Post #8041856

"MOM!!! Tiger pulled my tail!" LOL.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

August 15, 2010
7:05 PM

Post #8042163

Cats are so expressive...

I want a kitty.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 16, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #8042910

Nadi, do you want to be on the real name/screen name llist at the top of the forum? I know I think twice every time I see your name. I know who you are, but my poor brain ...
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

August 16, 2010
10:40 AM

Post #8043288

Sure, Carrie. Sorry, I kept meaning to put my name on there, but kept forgetting. I guess that illustrates why such a thread is needed. I'm a bit scatterbrained. I can't even blame my age or MS for it. MK says, in someone my age, that is a symptom of physical depression and suggest I try anti-depressant drugs to see if that helps. I think some of us are just born space cadets and have to learn mental discipline. It is more likely, I'm just one of those.. lol Nadine
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

August 17, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #8045561

Okay, so it isnít the most original idea anyone ever had for using a snake gourd, but it makes fun garden art for the Boys garden. Little boys, I am discovering, are strange and often gruesome creatures so it works for them. ~Nadine~
Photo: The ďWhat Can Nadine Do with A Snake GourdĒ Project #1

Thumbnail by Sansai87

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

September 19, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #8107447

Been in my house for six years and, out of nowhere this fall, these spider lilies popped up at the curb between my house and the neighbor's, and also across the street two houses down. I came out to go to work and there they were. The photographs are not enhanced, it was about 8:30 and the morning sun was making them look like the flowers were in a globe of gold. Very, very cool. :-)

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

September 19, 2010
9:35 AM

Post #8107448

Second one.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

September 19, 2010
9:35 AM

Post #8107451

ah, too quicky on the clicky again...

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

September 20, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #8111094

Ooooooo, that is pretty!
I guess this thread is really the right venue for my Sunday funnies. I'll start posting them here next week. ~Nadine~. .
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

September 21, 2010
8:28 AM

Post #8111814

Please, yes! This thread is to remind us that we always have something to celebrate even when our lives are at their worst.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2010
2:20 PM

Post #8118921

Those ARE pretty - I love the firey color.

The only the thing thats popped up recently that wasn't supposed to is euonymous sprouts. Burning bush - which is attractive for the two weeks it "burns" - is a noxious weed in Massachusetts. You're not allowed to sell it pr DISTRIBUTE it. Someone should tell that to the BIRDS! It doesn't even come true from seed, and it's growing in my container with begonias and sansverias!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2010
11:26 PM

Post #8119721

Debra, My surprise lillys are blooming too.In among the weeds.
I think there is a male cat doing some long hauling over the road trips. Your kittens look just like mine.
I sure did need your quote right now.
Vickie
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

September 26, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #8122934

It has finally rained a little I sat my new Venus flytrap outside to take advantage of the humidity. A lizard stopped to check out this strange new plant. That was my inspiration for this weekís drawing. ~Nadine~

Photo: ďHey! Those are my bugsĒ

Thumbnail by Sansai87

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #8129242

LOL!!!!
Please forgive me but can i ask for another picture with a lizard having his hind foot caught in a Venus flytrap? And maybe a burning bush eating up a bird.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2010
1:48 PM

Post #8130128

Would his tongue ever get stuck when he and the fly-trap were after the same bug?
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

October 3, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #8135734

:-) I actually considered a frog with his tongue stuck in a Venus flytrapís ďmouthĒ.
Iím feeling majorly out of it and the drawing muse that guides my hand must have had other business today. I found it is hard to draw a creature in action that youíve never had a chance to observe. My version of a flying squirrel looked like a funky kite. Iíll shoot for something doubly good next week. ~Nadine~

Thumbnail by Sansai87

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2010
8:25 AM

Post #8136535

Is that a tongue or a thermometer? Is it a she? Highly adorable, whatever the specifics. Very cute, Nadine! I'm sorry you feel "out of it."

I'm reading a book by Stephen Hawking, the brilliant physicist who has ALS (I think), and I feel compelled to ask "out of what? How do you know when you're in it?" and so on, just to be a brat and to prove that I might be smart enough to understand this book.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

October 5, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #8139394

Where are you when you feel out of it? Good question! I guess we could write Stephen Hawkins and ask. I bet he knows. He is still hanging in there, isn't he?
It is SUPPOSE to be a thermometer and its me in my witchy black cat disguise. lol. I like what the anti-depressant does for my sleep patterns, but it is making my hands shaky. Doc says that will pass. ~Nadine~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2010
5:43 PM

Post #8139925

Well, he does have ALS, and I believe he was still hanging in there, at least when this book was published earlier this year he was. You're cute with the thing on your head and all, you sweet young thing! We've gotten into protons and anti-protons, quarks and anti-quarks and other things I barely understand.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

October 10, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #8149350

He is 68, nearly 69. Quite an accomplishment in and of itself when you stop to consider he was given a life expectancy of a few years while in his 20's. (Sure doesn't look his age. There was a photo of him taken a few years ago on his website. It showed him in 0 g. I guess no gravity makes everyone look younger. I hope we have lunar retirement colonies by the time I start losing the battle with gravity.I remember hearing he was very ill last year from some sort of chest infection. Obviously, he recovered.
Photo: The Frighteningly, Fashionable Scarecrow

This message was edited Oct 10, 2010 9:55 PM

Thumbnail by Sansai87

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

October 10, 2010
7:52 PM

Post #8149354

And here you go Carrie. Yeah, I guess this would happen if the two were after the same bug.

Thumbnail by Sansai87

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2010
9:18 AM

Post #8150311

TY, Nadine.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2010
11:05 PM

Post #8158512

Stephen Hawking has no disability. His beautiful mind is never on this tiny little planet, He soars lightly up into a Macrosphere that includes the whole universe His mind has seen things that we can never comprehend. Can you imagine seeing a nursery where new stars are being born.(There is one in the belt of Orion the hunter.) He is also at home in the microsphere, Where the laws of physics are totally different, Where the particles are called by exotic names(kinda) up,down,strange etc. His mind has been in a black hole. His language is mathmatics and he knows it inside out.I love that man! He is my hero.
He was in a hospital in London with pnumonia. There was a lot of us praying for him. This Particle Accelerater at Cern will hopefully prove some of his theory. Guess i got kinda carried away.
Vickie

Knew i had this bookmarked somewhere.Here's a telescope view of Orions Belt.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap051013.htm/
I could'nt bring it up on DG (problems i've had before) I f you can bring it up on your puter it's worth it.

This message was edited Oct 16, 2010 2:02 AM

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2010
7:09 AM

Post #8158766

Can't get it using cut & paiste either.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 16, 2010
7:52 AM

Post #8158826

Try this:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap051013.html

the URL just had the forward slash at the end instead of the letter 'l'
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #8158839

Thanks again Debra,
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

October 17, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #8160995

Here's an overly ambitious bat for ya. We still have a few watermelons we hope will make it before it gets to cold. Those ambitious fruit bats better stay away from my watermelon, they have plenty of grapes.

Photo: Overly Ambitious Fruit bat

Thumbnail by Sansai87

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

October 17, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #8161334

That is the best image of the dark horsehead nebula I have ever seen. I bookmarked that site. They have a new image every day. Stargazing with my Dad was our way of bonding. He let me stay up to see unusual astronomical events even on school nights. I can remember his waking me up at 4 a.m. to see a meteor shower. I learned as much out in the middle of that peanut field with him and his telescopes as I ever did in class.
Amargia has a disproportionate number of science fiction readers and those who subscribe to magazines like Scientific American and Discover. People here have tried to get theoretical physics through my head, but too often the peculiar jargon scientist use sends my imagination veering off in weird directions. Like, I was doing okay following MKs line of reason about the microsphere until she started talking about the ďdifferent FLAVORS of quarks.Ē (Those different sub-atomic particles you mentioned above.) Suddenly, in my too highly visual mind, I saw the character named Quark (Star Trek/Deep Space Nine) serving quark soup to an alien business prospect. Saying something like, ďI hope I didnít put to many down quarks in for your taste.Ē What would an up quark or a strange quark taste like anyway? lol. What possessed the scientific minded to start using (misusing) a word like ďflavorĒ to talk about the differences in subatomic particles. Iíll just have to wait until they come out with a book on the subject in the Dummies series. Theoretical Physics for Dummies. lol. My poor brain rebels when faced with too much abstraction. Maybe I will just content myself with looking at the night sky and just enjoying the grand art of it all. ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 18, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #8163264

Nadine, if anyone in the house reads David Weber's Honor Harrington series, then they can tell you about the empathic connection between the main character and her 'treecat.' How emotions mentally "taste" different. Interesting concept. You could think of a down quark as something dark and spicy like mole. And an up quark as something bright and fizzy like 7-Up. :-)

Debra
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 21, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #8168464

Sunday, I worked in the yard for about three hours. Much less sore the next two days than the LAST time I worked three hours in the yard! LOL I was absolutely delighted to see dozens of bees on this Caryopteris Sunshine Blue. And I saw an azure butterfly flutterbying. AND saw many many more earthworms than in previous Fall clean up/plantings. Guess not using any herbicides and putting up with more weeds and nasty grassy weeds than I like is paying off. Yea!!!

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

October 22, 2010
8:19 PM

Post #8170470

Maybe, I should think beets for down quarks since Iíve never eaten mole. Fenny-dog likes them, but she never shares. (BTW, I donít like the flavor of down quarks). I like charmed quarks best because Iíve decided to make them taste like the cereal Lucky Charms. :-) I wonder if the scientifically minded have a subtle, natural form of synesthesia. That would explain the way they use language.
That is an awesome shade of blue. I will check out caryopteris.. I think we need more blue flowered plants here to cool down the hot colors we tend to use most. The only blues in our gardens I can think of are bluejackets (Tradescantia ohiensis), blue salvia and the blue and lavender flowers most herbs tend to have. There must be lots more than that. ~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 22, 2010
9:29 PM

Post #8170644

Hey, Nadine. :-)

Don't know which would be workable for your area (or are invasive), but there's:

Plumbago
Centaurea
Catananche
Blueberries (yep-yep-yep, git me some o' those)
Hydrangea involucrata Blue Bunny (doesn't change color with soil PH)
Campanula
Delphinium
Allium
Clematis
Aquilegia
Agapanthus
Baptisia
Gentian
Hardy Geraniums
Lupines
Agastache
Evolvulus glomeratus
Phlox subulata
Scabiosa
Squill
Hyacinth
Anemone Coronaria
Ajuga
Anchusa
Buddleia
Scilla
Crocus
Dutch Iris
Muscari
Eupatorium
Lobelia
Nepeta
Stokesia
Veronica

Maybe you could find a few you like and talk MK and PJ into letting you "cool it down" a bit. LOL

Debra

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #8172050

I don't foresee Lobelia - the annual kind - working too well. Maybe one of the perennial ones.

Vickie, I loved your description of Hawkings! Did I already mention him saying it took a long time to get himself ready for bed after he put his daughter in her crib so he had plenty of time to think about black holes!!! My hero, even if I only got halfway through his book. My new meds are making my thinking VERY muddy -- I couldn't follow past the different flavored quarks. I like the beets vs 7up - but we're assuming they must be human food flavors! False assumption, in my opinion, but that's because taste and smell are so closely correlated. I can't even write a sentence any more.

Anyway, so far this fall I have killed a plant for which I cannot remember the name. I knew it half an hour ago; I am staring at it now I cannot remember the name of it. CALADIUM! That is it's name! Wow, I thought I would never remember it.
Phiew.

[
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

October 24, 2010
11:49 AM

Post #8173285

ROFL! Yep, Iíd say there are a few more blues I wasnít up on. We probably already have blues among the irises, if SOMEONE would leave them in one place long enough to flower so that we know what colors we have. I think I will go on an iris rescue mission and place them under protective custody.
Hum-m-m, one of the few really fragrant irises is ĎPacific Mistí which is a pale blue. Iíll convince Kay she needs lots of those for the scented garden lol. Iím off to find more scented blue flowers and to find out if there is such a thing as a blue daylily.I could probably convince Papa Jim he needs it if it exist.. That wouldnít be hard. Daylilies seem to be addictive. ~Nadine~
Photo: Theyíve been calling me a hobbit because I want to build a subterranean house. My feet may be furry, but Iím too tall to be a hobbit. Iíve decided to be a dirt fairy. The Sultana of Soil. Her Highness of Humus. Something along those lines. For those who donít know what a dirt fairy looks likeÖÖ..

Thumbnail by Sansai87

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2010
12:02 PM

Post #8173298

Scrapps sends a "Hi" to all of us. She is without online access now. Many things are challenging for her just now. Lets please all keep her and her familly in our prayers.

Sheri
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 24, 2010
3:34 PM

Post #8173682

If open for voting, I like Her Highness of Humus. Blue Fire Iris and Cycles Iris each have at least some fragrance, too. I just ordered my first "blue" iris, Best Bet. No fragrance, but it is supposed to be a rebloomer. Gotten to where I don't want Iris or Daylily or Clematis unless they have a second bloom to 'em. Am I getting spoiled?

Never noticed before today how geometric a Lantana is before the blooms fully open. And this one is multi-DayGlo. Weird.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #8173886

Oh that's pretty, Debra!

Nadine, I keep seeing "N N N" in your skies. The first thing that popped into my head when I looked at the picture was "Mistress of Manure," but I like both "Sultana of Soil" and "Her Highness of Humus" VERY much. I think you should choose for yourself.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #8173965

Nadine, there are NO blue daylilies or roses. Sorry, kid, you can get green or purple but not blue.

Sheri, come visit more often! And send my love and a hug to Steph if you talk to her, please, we miss her!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 24, 2010
8:52 PM

Post #8174201

Nadine, did you ever take Carnations and put them in dyed water? (We used to do that at school for Mother's Day and Valentine's Day.) Just read you can do the same thing with cut white roses. So you could make your own blue ones temporarily until the plant geneticists can give us some to grow in the ground. Wonder if you planted a white one, then kept pouring blue-dyed water around it, would the shrubbery turn blue? Would the flowers? That would be fun to try out...

Daylilies do seem to be addictive. I've certainly been bitten by that bug this year. Still have two or three more to get planted before mid-November. We don't usually get too much below freezing in Winter, but we generally start getting our first 32 degree lows right before Thanksgiving and I want them in the ground beforehand.

Among all the other stuff today, dug up what was left of a Nutmeg Thyme to replace with
a Franziska Maria Clematis, using an old tomato cage as the frame/trellis. I am soooo excited about next Spring. So much new stuff going in. The thyme went in a pot. Think I will bring it inside and try to nurse it back to health. It did NOTNOTNOT like the heat and dry this year.

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2010
1:08 AM

Post #8174422

LOL!LOL! All particle physicists are a little on the fun nutty side.Seems to be a requirement.Quarks are also on the fun nutty side.
How many quarks can sit on the head of a pin?...None. A quark can't sit still long enough to be counted but it can wave.I picture them as little angels that flit here and there appearing and disappearing going about their business. They are the tools God uses to make the univese.His words. They are us and we are them.He uses 3 types of glue, weak force,strong force and gravity.each works in is own little world. The smallest uses weak force glue, the next uses strong force glue and the rest uses gravity force glue.
Sheri, It goes without saying everyone here is in my prayers and specially Scraps.How are you doing by the way?
Nadine, I like her highness of humas. Someone come up with an idea for making money online. That of course is totally new There was a pet rock for awhile. What other inanimate item would make a good pet. Since i've been gathering firewood i can think of a pet stick like Cedric Ceder, Penny Pine.
Carrie, How cold is it at your house. We're due a cool down sometime ths week. Are you going to do a christmas music thing this year?
I need a mission to find the worlds only blue rose and daylily. I'm still on a mission to find a mint basil.
goodnight all,
Vickie

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 25, 2010
10:27 PM

Post #8176531

Sheri, give Scraps our love and prayers, in case I forget AGAIN to mail her card. I have her address, but no phone number. Iím the worldís worse about buying a card to send someone and forgetting to mail it.
Carrie, Iíll buy a truckload of organic fertilizer next month. Weíll see how Nadine likes being Mistress of Manure when it arrives. :-)
It sounds like your house will be stunning come next spring and summer, Debra. Looking forward to having Nadine describe your pics to me. Jimís descriptions are more accurate, but Nadineís are always so interesting. Iím still trying to imagine the dog in the picture with the tree (I think) that she described as your ďfuzzy marshmallow dog.Ē lol
I think lantana should get extra beauty points for the berries giving them winter interest. The berries have a nice symmetry too.
Vickie, I do get much attached to my walking sticks and they are named for the people who gave them to me. Some are carved. Others just have interesting natural shapes. I sometimes make what I call chaos baskets from whatever is around. I started to toss a large old one in the fire for kindling. It wasnít pretty in the usual sense of the word and with its very open weave, not that practical. My sister grabbed it swearing she could get a good price for it in Houston. I know only the bare basics of basket weaving and this basket was something I threw together while playing with grape vine prunings I was planning to burn. She called it ďprimitive art.Ē lol. ďUg, me artist.Ē Most of the walking sticks I have were purchased from roadside stores on well-used routes through the Appalachians. Is there a simple local craft your mountains are known for? Travelers seem compelled to buy a walking stick when they go through the Appellations. Iíve even intentionally made plain wreaths from my over abundance of vines and sold them to crafters to decorate. I have a book on simple, natural material craft projects to give you ideas, if you want. (Yeah, still pushing those books off on the unsuspecting. lol.) How are your eyes now anyway? Does reading print give you any trouble? Kay*

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 26, 2010
8:36 AM

Post #8176980

Nadine, Carrie is right. I found this Lobelia. Don't know if Amargia has the water, but it looks pretty. And if you go to the link and read the name's origin, it's innnnnteresting, too. :-)
http://www.northcreeknurseries.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.plantDetail/plant_id/193/index.htm

Kay, fuzzy marshmallow dog is an excellent description of ZuZu. LOL I've always thought she looked a little bit like the Luck Dragon from The Neverending Story. Russell is my blonde Wookie. And Willie...well, he's...um, a scruffy spider monkey-looking pup. All three dogs have different tactile impressions that, I think, match up to their visual appearances. Would be fun for me to show them to you. As much as I love Texas, sometimes wish I lived close to Amargia... :-)

I hope to be taking lots of pictures in Spring. The boss got an iPhone 4 for me to use and it takes incredibly sharp photographs. I am constantly in awe of the available technology, feel lucky to have experienced the transition. Even looking just one thing like the change from rotary phones to something like the iPhone. Two-way video, for Heaven's sake!! Star Trek comes to town.

Carrie, how this for a cheery red? Going to try rooting cuttings to overwinter. Never been successful with Coleus, but there is always a first time, eh? :-)

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2010
1:49 PM

Post #8177506

That's a gorgeous red, Debra, although not quite orange enough for my personal reddiction!

Kay, I would (do) have a REALLY hard time discarding anything I made, no matter how crude or ineffective. I even eat the bead I make with expired yeast that doesn't rise!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 27, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #8180620

Giggle for the day. (Posted it on the Wildlife forum, too.) This 'un was unconcernedly munching down on a bag of bird seed in a very busy Walmart Garden Center last Saturday. About 2:00 in the afternoon and raining. Fueling up before swimming upstream? LOL

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 28, 2010
11:58 AM

Post #8181510

Looking through Swan Island Dahlias found this one is called Nadine Jessie (we'll ignore the second part). It is a beautiful color and would go nicely with strawberry blonde hair, too. :-D

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

October 30, 2010
11:51 AM

Post #8185207

It's PURPLE!!! (My favorite color.) That one WILL be here next summer!
Is that an opossum shopping at WalMart? Or, some other kind of critter?
~Nadine~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 30, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #8185296

'tis, indeed, a 'possum. calm, clever one, too.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 30, 2010

Post #8185328

Nadine,

Bought some blue flowering plants at Lowes this morning. The Lobelia is an annual, but that COLOR!

The Scabiosa is pastel, but is supposed to be a 'water wise' perennial.

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 30, 2010

Post #8185329

Shade closeup

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 30, 2010

Post #8185334

Never been too sure Scabiosa would do okay in my yard, but for $2.49 it's worth the experiment. Putting it by the roses.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

October 30, 2010

Post #8185335

Windy today, so picture is blurry. Still shows closeup of the blossom form.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2010
2:34 AM

Post #8186217

Talk about a beautiful dahlia!!! My grandmother loved dahlias. She probably would've sold her soul for that one. She passed in the 50,s.
I guess it's about that time to start ordering plant catalogs to keep us sane during the winter months.
Debra, I'm so deprived!!!!! My Lowes have no plants now but they do have that electric fireplace i'm getting the third. Am looking forward to someone having Christmas cactus. I want a white one this year.I seem to have good luck growing them.
I'm surprised Walmart did'nt cage the possum and sell it.
Carrie, I have a hard time discarding anything too.But i love to give away things i make.
Cricket and Miss Kitty are in my lap sound asleep. Miss KITTY SNORES BIG TIME.LOL
I just realized that possum was just outside of Dallas.He's a big city possum. No wonder he shops at Walmarts.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2010
3:07 PM

Post #8187204

Oh, Debra, they have whole THREADS on how to keep that kind of annual lobelia alive in the crispier parts of the summer. I'll try to cue you in on some next summer. (If I remember. Ours are all dead, now.) But there are kinds of perennial blue lobelia I believe. (Lobelia sylphatica?)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

October 31, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #8187437

Possums arenít nearly so spooky looking in the daylight. At night, all you really see are their glowing, red eyes.
Iím posting a picture I snapped yesterday in lieu of my usual cartoon. My boyfriend thinks this is as funny as anything Iíve ever drawn.
The Wiregrass area is known for some unusual monuments and large scale ART. (MK says she has already posted a pic of our famous, giant, steel pig.) The pig is just to make people grin, but donít ask me to explain this monument. While I consider myself a homegirl, this one Iíve never understood.
This classic, sober monument is dedicated to a BUG. Specifically, the boll weevil. The critter that once ruined this part of the south economically.
I know the history of it. I just donít get it. Cotton was King here before the boll weevil. The botanist George Washington Carver saved things when he introduced the peanut as a cash crop. Before Carver, peanuts were only eaten by livestock and ďpo`folks.Ē Now, half the peanuts grown in the U.S. are grownwithin a 100-mile radius. (In fact, the Peanut Festival Fair is going on as I write this.) I would understand if the pretty lady was holding a peanut, but why, oh why, is she holding a boll weevil.
My elders (who wish to remain anonymous) told me it was once a favorite Halloween ďtrickĒ to steal the boll weevil from the ladyís hand and put it in some other weird public place. The weevil is now well secured and will be closely watched tonight. We take our beetles seriously here. ~Nadine~

Thumbnail by Sansai87

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

October 31, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #8187440

See, I'm not putting you on...this time.

Thumbnail by Sansai87

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2010
12:47 PM

Post #8188703

OK, inquiring minds MUST know! What has the boll weevil done for the prosperity of Coffee County, AL?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2010
12:57 PM

Post #8188721

OK, the boll weevil prompted the residents of Enterprise and Coffee County to diversify from cotton to peanuts, so, unlike other folks throughout the south, they avoided bankruptcy. It's the Only Monument in the US dedicated to a pest! I wonder if I could pull off a quick article about this? I've sot of been given the publish or perish speech - and I'm very close to perishing.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

November 1, 2010
4:24 PM

Post #8189074

If you can unravel the mystery of the boll weavil monument, I would love to read about it. I wonder what in the world those folks were thinking every time I pass thru the city of Enterprise. It is in the downtown section situated on an island in a busy intersection so you can't miss it. Their logic totally eludes me.
Those are some stunning blues. (MY favorite color) I bet my hummers and flutterbies would like them too. (Jim)

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 1, 2010
5:03 PM

Post #8189149

That shade of blue is my favorite, too, Jim. :-)

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2010
5:17 PM

Post #8189171

Carrie, the Boll Weevil Monument has a wild history. The one in Nadi's photo isn't the original one. Check out:
http://www.weevilwonderland.com/
Happy Gardener's New Year, Everyone. lol. Bring on those plant catalogs!
Kay*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #8189561

Yes, Kay, I've been there. You should show that site to Jim the mystified, I think.

Amargia

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

November 1, 2010
9:17 PM

Post #8189645

Well, I guess it is about time he learned the real story. But, we do so love listening to some of the theories he weaves. My favorite of those has to be the one revolving around
we Southerners and our love for icy Coca-Cola coupled with the original recipe of the beverage. It was so interesting that no one had the heart to tell him they took cocaine out of the Coca-Cola recipe a decade or so before the monument was created. Truth is not always stranger than Jim's fiction. Kay*
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2010
11:11 PM

Post #8189729

I've heard about the original coca cola receipe forever and never really beleived it. Now i hear it's true. Who'd uh thunk!! LOL
Carrie, We do need a story about the Boll Weavel. It was really important to southern Agri.
If the Boll Weavel caused the spread of peanut growing, I think we ought to crown him King Boll Weavel, cause i do love peanuts and peanutbutter.errr I mean Goober Peas.
Also prefer wearing synthetics to cotton mostly.
I would love to see that statue. Sure wish i could share pictures with you.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

November 2, 2010
8:18 AM

Post #8190256

Mama Kay spelled it out for Papa Jim and me. I think I finally get it. The mystery was WHY a group of people would feel compelled to erect such an odd monument. Papa Jim had a mental block because of where he came from. Mine had more to do with WHEN I came from.
You understand when you look at the nature of the city itself. Enterprise has always prided itself on beingÖ.well, enterprising. Progressive. Forward-thinking. Not easy to be in a region that is so steeped in tradition and history. The nearby community of Newton is the oldest city in Alabama. I think the boll weevil monument was a way of tweaking the noses of more stodgy deeply traditional communities. A polite, adult, socially acceptable way of saying ďNah, nah, nah-nah, nahÖ.we were right! It makes sense in that light. It is like what Debra and MK posted about at the end of PM#7. It is the visual equivalent of ďBless your heart, Darliní.Ē lol.
Did you all catch yesterdayís article on blue plants? Now, THAT is service!
Yeah, Vickie. I think there is a place in Texas that has a peanut festival too. ~Nadine~

lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 2, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #8190994

Been raining since 11:00 this morning. I am very happy. Just received bulbs from Bluestone and the soil will be just right for digging come Sunday. Tulips Ivory Floradale, Akebono, and Burgundy (Lily flowering), and Muscari latifolium. (photo from www.veldsiergewassen.nl) The plan is to have the Iris dug up and moved, too. Definitely having help! LOL Chilly enough to have turned on the heat for the first time this year. Going to cozy up with some flannel and a soda. Watch a little sillyvision, look through some gift catalogs, and be glad for my house...and electricity. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #8191011

Debra, do your tulips come back? Those muscari are lovely; I notice they're planted in sand or maybe scree... Mine are too appetizing to ever even make a first appearance.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 2, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #8191072

Planted Angelique once. Bloomed that year. Foliage came back the next year, but didn't bloom. Then nada. The Floradale is supposed to be good for warm areas, but I am resigned to having to replant every year if I want Tulips. The Muscari should do well, though. These bulbs were all on clearance and ones I had an eye on for awhile, so will be worth the work, I think. :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 3, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #8192630

Debra, can you make a new thread? (If you have a chance ...) Thanks, honeybunch!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 3, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #8192812

You betcha. :-)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

November 3, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #8192823

New thread: #5

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1138977/

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Accessible Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
abled fighters dpmichael 13 Sep 28, 2009 1:31 AM
Gardening with a bad knee Bug_Girl 13 Aug 28, 2009 4:26 PM
"Enabled" vs. "Disabled" Gardeners Shirley1md 40 Apr 8, 2007 6:29 PM
a gardening poem debi_z 43 Jun 17, 2013 4:59 AM
pneumatic seat for gardening debi_z 31 Jun 30, 2009 2:48 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America