Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Northern Lights Azaleas: lemon lights

Communities > Forums > Article: Northern Lights Azaleas
bookmark
Forum: Article: Northern Lights AzaleasReplies: 2, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bottlegreen
Saint Paul, MN

May 10, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #7780169

A beautiful color, but there's one problem: the flower buds that it sets during the summer have been opening in the fall, thereby leaving almost nothing left for spring. (And I don't want a shrub with yellow flowers in late fall: I have enough of then with yellow leaves!) This is not just me; I've noticed others' Lemon Lights with the same problem in our neighborhood (Saint Paul MN zone 4). Any suggestions?
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

May 11, 2010
3:59 PM

Post #7784662

I have never seen any azaleas do this in my area. I'm stumped!
jesup
Malvern, PA
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2010
12:50 AM

Post #7934777

Fall bloom is something that can happen in both azaleas and rhododendrons; it depends a lot on the combination of the cultivar and the local climate, latitude, position in the garden (microclimate), etc.

My Orchid Lights frequently mostly blooms in the fall; it rarely has a lot left for spring. I have a rhododendron bred for Finland (Mikkeli) that does something similar.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Northern Lights Azaleas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks, Todd pirl 21 Jul 1, 2010 7:30 PM
Wow, I didnt know! chris_lcf530 1 Jan 9, 2008 1:47 PM
Now I want them all! Seandor 0 Jan 9, 2008 4:38 PM
Northern Lights Azaleas gramaw 0 Jun 28, 2010 4:36 AM
Flame Azaleas Mountainbeauty 2 Jul 7, 2010 2:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America