Photo by Melody

Water Gardens: Help with building the edge of my pond...

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 27, Views: 287
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2010
12:56 PM

Post #7780942

Here is a pic of the pond so far. I started digging it last fall and dug out quite a bit of it, but then it started raining and temps dropped and didn't get it done. So it sat all winter and last week I bought a liner through ebay and drove 3 hours one way to pic it up. Then I advertised on Craigs List for some old carpet, called 2 stores and 3 people in the yellow pages. No old carpeting after 2 weeks. So I ended up driving 40 mins to pick up some old thick carpeting. I got it lined and then my dad and dh spread the liner out over the pond. I got 45 mil liner and couldn't believe the difference in the weight vs the 60 mil I used in the previous pond. The 60 mil is so much better if you can splurge the extra money, much thicker. Anyway, I got that spread nicely and wrinkles worked out and filled it with water. The pond was terribly unlevel, so as the water got up to the top, I could tell the one end was probably 4 inches or more low.
I took some of the dirt I dug out and filled it in. It is still too low, so I know I have some more work to do there. A neighbor up the road has a tractor with a scoop and came and got the dirt I dug out, so I just have a little left to fix with, and whatever is left he said he would come back for later, YAY< that saved me a ton of money and work. I traded him some iris for the labor.
I then drove 40 min to pick up some rocks. They are just haphazard shaped. None are uniform at all, most are chunky or thick, round shapes. Once I get the pond level, I don't know what to do? Do I just pile the rocks over the edge of the liner? I cut the liner off, leaving about 2 feet of overhang all around the edge of the pond. Also,l the stuff I cut off, I hate to throw away, and it's not big enough in one piece to be useful to anyone. I was thinking I would cut it into large squares and lay over the bottom of the pond? why not, I figure it would be better than in a landfill and would just give an extra layer of protection. I don't plan on putting any gravel in the bottom either, I think it would be too difficult to clean. I think I will just use pockets of gravel here and there on the shallow ledging, and hold in place with larger rocks. The plants in the pond now were from TWL.
I was planning on laying a row of rock and then folding the liner over them and back and then laying a row on top of that. But can I do that with them all being different sizes and not very flat? I'm not sure it will work?

Thumbnail by FrillyLily
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2010
12:58 PM

Post #7780946

Here are the rocks.

Thumbnail by FrillyLily

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2010
1:03 PM

Post #7780959

Another of the pond

Thumbnail by FrillyLily

blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #7781229

okay how deep is it?? were you planing on having anything like a water fall or just use a bubbler or something like that to filter the water?? did you leave a ledge for your marginal plants or is it straight sides??
your rocks will work but depending on how strong and firm the sides of your pond are you might want to lay something under the liner to make the edge stronger... you could get some flat pavers and lay them under the liner to help support the weight of the stone then lay the stone on top of the liner..youd have 3 layers.. pavers, liner, rock.. . but if you have firm edges you dont need to do this... if you have some bigger flatter stones lay them so that they overhang the liner by an inch or so or more if you can... it that will help make it look better. Laying stone is like a puzzle, you just keep at it till it fits.. you can lay your rock to allow for planting pockets but make sure they are far enough away from the edge of your liner so you do not have a problem ...

keep your excess liner.. you might have to do a patch someday or you might want a bog garden . you can seam the pieces together to make one.. I dont think itd be a good idea to lay the excess on the bottom in big pieces... you could cut smaller pieces of it and use it where you place your pots to help protect your liner but Im not in favor of using larger pieces.. or you could use the excess liner to help make a water fall.. I did that with one of my ponds and it worked greast..

it will come together ..just take your time and dont rush... its heavy work doing all of this so be patient youll get there..
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2010
3:59 PM

Post #7781373

ok the sides are straight not sloped. There is a ledge about 10 inches deep all the way around, about 18 inches wide.
Next is a middle step of 18 inches deep or so and then on one end an area about 2 1/2 feet deep. All have fairly straight sides. I thought sloping sides might be harder to get in to, and also may not look as nice visually as you could see more of the liner. So I did them straight down.
I don't have any bigger flat stones. I sure wish I did. :(

I was thinking today about using the scalloped concrete 'stones' they sell at Lowes. They are 16 inches long and have three scallops on each stone and are about 2 inches thick. Could I lay those around the edg of the liner and then fold it over onto the top of them and then lay my rocks on top?

The edges around half or so are pretty soft, as I have had to add dirt to level it up. I know that will settle some. I don't think I will do a waterfall, this is sort of a diy - ME- project, and I wouldn't know where to start to do a waterfall.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2010
6:51 PM

Post #7793632

I had this same concern last year when we put ours in. What I found that really worked is not to think of the rocks around the edge as edging. Think of them as PART of the pond, meaning that you may have to lift the liner and dig some of the dirt out to put in the rock; the water may come up halfway on a rock even.

All of my rocks were hand selected and then placed, and I think that made a big difference too. This year we're adding a stream/waterfall.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 14, 2010
7:52 PM

Post #7793790

I LOVE your pond.
so you dug some under the edge and placed rock, and then 'wrapped' the liner over the back of the rock and laid more rocks around that?
LOL so much for meticulously leveling the edge around my liner :)

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2010
6:01 AM

Post #7794353

Yah, I just sat my big butt on the ground and one by one placed the stone. Some needed dug in a few inches, some only an inch. Lifted the liner up, dug the hole, put the liner back down and situated the rock.

FYI, here's my thread from last year, asking for help. there are more pix on there that might be helpful.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/984688/
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 15, 2010
10:09 AM

Post #7794934

Oh thank you so much! that is very helpful!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2010
10:50 AM

Post #7795008

Hey you're welcome. I'll show you some pictures later tonight of the cleanout. It's gross,but shows rocks pretty well.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #7801134

Forgot I had THESE pictures of the edging.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2010
11:58 AM

Post #7801135

Awww, I miss that little duck. I fostered him for a couple of weeks until he got to the rehabber.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2010
12:50 PM

Post #7801255

don't ducks eat plants, fish and tear up the garden?
he sure is cute!

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2010
12:55 PM

Post #7801266

Well this fella didn't since he was so young and I only had him for two weeks. He swam around the edge and ate the bugs. And he liked fish food too. Then after a while he'd do some diving. I used to take him into the garden to do the weeding and he'd eat worms. It was fun.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 17, 2010
1:04 PM

Post #7801288

are they destructive as they get older? I always thought it would be neat to have ducks, but I was told they tear up everything.

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #7801291

I would assume, but I honestly don't know.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2010
5:21 AM

Post #7803363

do you have any kind of edging to keep the gravel contained? do you have trouble with it getting out into the grass?
I thought maybe that plastic lawn edge stuff?

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2010
5:39 AM

Post #7803422

No, i don't have any edging and yes the grass is creeping in to the rocks. I didn't really bother because we have plans to do a patio up to the pond. (Yah, like that will happen anytime soon). I just run edge it by hand once in a while.

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #7803755

hmm sounds like using some kind of barrier would be a good idea, I'll think on that.
mine won't have grass around it, because It is going in a flower bed, but still I don't want the gravel to out everywhere...

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #7820054

did u by any chance add a spillover for hvy rain runoff? and DO keep your leftover removal items, they come in handy at later dates when reality kicks in and problems you didnt expect rear their heads, special tape made for plastic sheet extensions can be purchased, some rocks if not balanced, tend to end up on the bottom of the pond, with plants that were intended to sit on ledges when cats, coons, possums visit the water hole, or big dogs that see a cool splash in the hot summer. looks great, know the work you've done
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2010
1:03 PM

Post #7820211

no I didn't do anything for rain runoff. It will be in a flower bed, and that will have rock around that also, kind of 'raised' along the edges of the bed, and then the pond in that. So I don't expect to get too much run off going IN to the pond, and I haven't given any thought to extra rain water going OUT if it over fills. I should do that?
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 26, 2010
8:01 PM

Post #7831758

Is it ok or not to use sandstone IN the pond? I am thinking it could crumble small particles of sand over time and ruin my pump?
But I have lots of sandstone!

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2010
10:40 AM

Post #7855292

Ok I finally got the rest of the pond done, around the edges. I still need to add some gravel around it, and finish up small details, I don't have a waterfall or any plumbing yet, but here is a pic.

Thumbnail by FrillyLily

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #7855398

Well DONE! Good gravy, can't believe those are the same rocks and pond!
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #7855414

the bare spot in the back is where I piled the dirt as I dug it out, I am going to make it into a flower bed, bushes in the back. Long ways to go!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2010
12:13 PM

Post #7855574

Yes, but it's a labor of love. Nice job. It will only get better and better now.
blkraven2
Wells, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2010
12:24 PM

Post #7855596

excellent job!!!! the larger boulder looks like a great focal point
I m planning mine as I type this fall Im going to start the digging of it and since Im the one diggin it it will take me all winter to do it...lol. oh well Rome wasnt built in a day!
keep moving forward its looking great!
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #7855920

Very nice. It looks great!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America