Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

whitebears homestead

Gentry, AR

hay guys i'm moving the thread to here before i get in trouble lol kinda got of the track from greenhouses and started doing other ideas so thought it would be more at home on the homestead thread. we came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1081349/
will continue the ideas and project here
new ideas: swamp cooler
ram pump
black soldier fly habitat
finish the worm harvester/compost harvester
apple cider press
honey harvester"after i get my bees started lol
if yall have any ideas let me know and i will put them in the hat to be pulled after the next project gets done.
"whitebear"

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

So what all you been planting?

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

whitebear

I would like to do some brain storming with you.

I've for some reason gotten it into my mind about trying to start raising fresh water shrimp. and now with the contiuning oil spill that is going to deplete our sea food, I'm thinking it might be something that might just keep us afloat (just found out today that my job will be ending in the very near future) DH lost his job a year ago this coming June....

I'm going to start internet searching on this, but here are my thoughts so far and wanted to hear your comments if you don't mind.

I want to build concrete basins to hold the shrimp in and for ease of cleaning and maintaining temperatures. Currently we live in northern ohio but if my job goes then we will be giving up this house and moving back to KY, better winters but worse summers...LOL

Since you have your fish, do you think the concrete would be the best way to go?

Janet

Gentry, AR

hay janet sorry to here about the job. news says things are getting better but I've been trying to figure out what world their living in. ok i'll stop before i go off about it lol.
yes i think concrete would do great. and you could put pipes in the concrete bottom hooked to a hot water heater to keep the temp where you wanted it to be. i'm wanting to do this with concrete blocks and seal it with this new stuff they have that makes stacked blocks with out mortar just as strong as concrete filled blocks and it makes them water proof.
from some of my searching on the net i found their were some people that was raising fish and crawdads together so their might be some fish that wouldn't eat shrimp so you could grow two crops of meat in one tank. just an idea.
"whitebear"

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks whitebear

Funny thing is after I posted got to searching and found Uof KY is at the forefront of this venture...LOL so if we were to move back home that would make it easy...

Lots of the stuff really just referrers to raising them in earthen ponds... not that concrete can't be used there just isn't much info on it... but I love a challenge at least it keeps my mind off all the crazy life stuff. Tonight my oldest collie 13 years started having seizures she hasn't done well at all since last February when I lost her mom and sister within a week of each other now it looks like her time left with me is going to be short. Sometimes life is just hard.

night all

Janet

Gentry, AR

hay meadowyck sorry to here about you dog its sad to have them troubled with thing we can't do anything about.
and sorry guys i've been lax in my posts lately. i've been planting and hatching till the cows came home and left again and came home again and so on and so forth.
i've hatched out 150 quail, and 250 chicks and have about 7 dozen chicken eggs and 15 dozen quail eggs in the bator right now. been building cages left and right and up and down
trying to build a chicken prof fence around all 6 acres so they can rome the hole thing.

Grenada, MS(Zone 8a)

I have spent the last 2 days on and off going thru this thread and I must say I think there are some really great ideas throughout the thread not to mention the "drama & humor"....LOL...It is a excellent thread and I have so many ideas in my head now I feel like it will explode!!!..LOL...

just sitting here waiting on the next adventure...... =0)

Los Gatos, CA

Yeah me too. Hey fearless leader, Whitebear, how are you?

I too, have been busy. Mostly with a high school graduate! ( that was a busy year!) Sure glad it's summer!

Gentry, AR

hay guys doing good and the drama continues my uncle had a heart attack on fathers day and he had to have a quadruple bypass, they keep him asleep for 5 days after the surgery
hes doing ok right now but only time will tell.

now on a happier note my chickens are laying my garden is growing "weeds" lol
and the projects are about to start back up. oh by the way would you guy's like a tutorial on making a wind generator. my brother-in-law wants me to show him how to make one. so figured while im at it i'll make a tut.

and on the strawberry tube i think a soaker hose doped down the middle for watering with a water tank on top. this will hold the water in there longer.

Grenada, MS(Zone 8a)

Good to hear from ya whitebear!!!

Really glad to hear your uncle is doing better!!...my dad had heart attack #2 followed by a quadruple bypass in Feb. 2010..He has planted his garden, returned to his job, and seems to be doing great..works in his garden and yard everyday.

LOL...my garden is growing just like yours..lol

I know I would love a tut on the wind generator.

Neat idea on the strawberry tube!

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

A wind generator, wow I would love to know how.lol

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Me, too!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Waiting... with great interest!

Los Gatos, CA

Sounds good!

Gentry, AR

ok guys we are starting work on it in about a week/week and a half. got to scrounge as many parts as i can and buy the rest

Los Gatos, CA

Ok, My strawberries are now producing even though they are growing in water. (In buckets) I have had the tubes for a long while and today I will try to get them planted. I got a fountain to help with the watering situation.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Producing in buckets of water! That is amazing. I'd think they would rot.

Gentry, AR

sorry guys been busy as a beaverbee been building the dam with my tail while gathering the nectar. i will try to start up the projects in September, my fall garden should be done by then and the greenhouse work won't be as much so should have a few spare moments to invent
and i'll try to get on DG for a few min. a night to talk.
"whitebear"

Gentry, AR

ok here is some of the thing i have been up to. this was for a friends wedding

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Richmond, TX

THAT is impressive!

Wow! How long did it take you to make?

Gentry, AR

one day of baking and about 3 hrs of decorating

Gentry, AR

just went out and look what i found

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Gentry, AR

and here is my new pride and joy. it's a Black Java one of the most endangered chicken there are only a few thousand left. guna help these guy's come back from the brink.
whitebear

Thumbnail by gthumbus

Ooooo... babies, how exciting!

Los Gatos, CA

Wow, those black ones are really big! Are the eggs big?

I have some eggs coming for me to hatch this September. I am in it for the egg colors. I have a Americana, (Teal eggs) Brahmas (Lt Brown eggs) Marans (Dk brown eggs) I have a Danish brown leghorn, who stopped laying after the first season. Then I bread my Black Copper Maran to the Americana and now I have olive eggers!

I am getting some Exchequer Leghorn eggs and a lady who has pink and gray eggs.( we will see if they are really pink!) Some mix, of course! And I am also hatching some Buff Orpington's for a friend. Is should be exciting! I can't keep them all, so if I have good luck with the hatch I will need to give some away.

Love the cake! They are lucky to have a friend who is so talented!

Gentry, AR

hay Imagesoart do you sale any of the marans eggs been wanting some but haven't found anyone around here yet. just bought 4 doz Guinea eggs and 2 doz bantams keep looking for more. lol . haven't gotten any eggs yet they are still settling in hope to get some soon. and the roster is about 2 to 2 1/2 foot tall i hope to get a flock of 100 by next year.
"whitebear"

Gentry, AR

well should be getting a hoop bender this week going to see if i can fill up my land with greenhouses lol one for chickens one for goats and a hole lot for veggies and maybe one to grow skittles lol

Gentry, AR

well guys and gals i went a did it. i started my own web site lol like i didn't have anything better with my time. come and visit me http://whitebearstips.web.com
so far just putting on the stuff that i've put on here. but going to start with new stuff soon
don;t worry i will be here to as much as possible.

i'm starting next week to build a new greenhouse for growing tomatoes threw the winter
going to use a rocket stove to heat along with the tilapia tank as a heat mass. the tomatoes i'll be growing will set fruit as low as 38 degrees so won't have to heat to much
well talk to you guys later
whitebear

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

What kind of maters are you going to grow? I tried the link but it didn't work.

Gentry, AR

sorry still working on the link i'll let ya'll know when fixed
the type of maters are siberian

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks. I'll check them out.

Gentry, AR

ok i think i got it fixed try http://whitebearstips.webs.com/
whitebear

Gentry, AR

hay CajuninKy check those seeds out at seed savers exchange http://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=1236(OG)
its the cheapest i have found.
whitebear

Los Gatos, CA

Whitebear~ I have looked at your web page, but so far it will not let me be a member! It looks good tho.....

Gentry, AR

hey imagesoart my site if very picky in who it lets in, just kidding lol. but my dad had the same problem going to try and figure it out. and thanks
whitebear

Los Gatos, CA

Well then, Dad and I are going to have to start our own club! LOL!

Gentry, AR

lol well keep trying and maybe i'll be able to figure out the problem
whitebear

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the link.

Gentry, AR

hay guys i think i'm back. in the proses of building a 20 by 48 ft aquaponics greenhouse to grow lettuce in.
got the trusses up and the top plastic on putting in the 8000 gallon pool in tomorrow that will hold the fish then going to start the raft tanks and misting bed to start the seeds on. i'll try and get some photos taken and get on here. later
"Whitebear"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.