Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Homesteading: whitebears homestead

Communities > Forums > Homesteading
bookmark
Forum: HomesteadingReplies: 100, Views: 1,263
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

May 10, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7781971

hay guys i'm moving the thread to here before i get in trouble lol kinda got of the track from greenhouses and started doing other ideas so thought it would be more at home on the homestead thread. we came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1081349/
will continue the ideas and project here
new ideas: swamp cooler
ram pump
black soldier fly habitat
finish the worm harvester/compost harvester
apple cider press
honey harvester"after i get my bees started lol
if yall have any ideas let me know and i will put them in the hat to be pulled after the next project gets done.
"whitebear"
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #7781999

So what all you been planting?

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 10, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7782151

whitebear

I would like to do some brain storming with you.

I've for some reason gotten it into my mind about trying to start raising fresh water shrimp. and now with the contiuning oil spill that is going to deplete our sea food, I'm thinking it might be something that might just keep us afloat (just found out today that my job will be ending in the very near future) DH lost his job a year ago this coming June...

I'm going to start internet searching on this, but here are my thoughts so far and wanted to hear your comments if you don't mind.

I want to build concrete basins to hold the shrimp in and for ease of cleaning and maintaining temperatures. Currently we live in northern ohio but if my job goes then we will be giving up this house and moving back to KY, better winters but worse summers...LOL

Since you have your fish, do you think the concrete would be the best way to go?

Janet
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

May 12, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #7787620

hay janet sorry to here about the job. news says things are getting better but I've been trying to figure out what world their living in. ok i'll stop before i go off about it lol.
yes i think concrete would do great. and you could put pipes in the concrete bottom hooked to a hot water heater to keep the temp where you wanted it to be. i'm wanting to do this with concrete blocks and seal it with this new stuff they have that makes stacked blocks with out mortar just as strong as concrete filled blocks and it makes them water proof.
from some of my searching on the net i found their were some people that was raising fish and crawdads together so their might be some fish that wouldn't eat shrimp so you could grow two crops of meat in one tank. just an idea.
"whitebear"

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 12, 2010
8:23 PM

Post #7788508

Thanks whitebear

Funny thing is after I posted got to searching and found Uof KY is at the forefront of this venture...LOL so if we were to move back home that would make it easy...

Lots of the stuff really just referrers to raising them in earthen ponds... not that concrete can't be used there just isn't much info on it... but I love a challenge at least it keeps my mind off all the crazy life stuff. Tonight my oldest collie 13 years started having seizures she hasn't done well at all since last February when I lost her mom and sister within a week of each other now it looks like her time left with me is going to be short. Sometimes life is just hard.

night all

Janet
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

June 12, 2010
3:09 PM

Post #7882536

hay meadowyck sorry to here about you dog its sad to have them troubled with thing we can't do anything about.
and sorry guys i've been lax in my posts lately. i've been planting and hatching till the cows came home and left again and came home again and so on and so forth.
i've hatched out 150 quail, and 250 chicks and have about 7 dozen chicken eggs and 15 dozen quail eggs in the bator right now. been building cages left and right and up and down
trying to build a chicken prof fence around all 6 acres so they can rome the hole thing.
DWMike
Grenada, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #7925849

I have spent the last 2 days on and off going thru this thread and I must say I think there are some really great ideas throughout the thread not to mention the "drama & humor"...LOL...It is a excellent thread and I have so many ideas in my head now I feel like it will explode!!!..LOL...

just sitting here waiting on the next adventure... =0)
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

June 27, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7925959

Yeah me too. Hey fearless leader, Whitebear, how are you?

I too, have been busy. Mostly with a high school graduate! ( that was a busy year!) Sure glad it's summer!

gthumbus
Gentry, AR

June 30, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #7933338

hay guys doing good and the drama continues my uncle had a heart attack on fathers day and he had to have a quadruple bypass, they keep him asleep for 5 days after the surgery
hes doing ok right now but only time will tell.

now on a happier note my chickens are laying my garden is growing "weeds" lol
and the projects are about to start back up. oh by the way would you guy's like a tutorial on making a wind generator. my brother-in-law wants me to show him how to make one. so figured while im at it i'll make a tut.

and on the strawberry tube i think a soaker hose doped down the middle for watering with a water tank on top. this will hold the water in there longer.
DWMike
Grenada, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #7933420

Good to hear from ya whitebear!!!

Really glad to hear your uncle is doing better!!...my dad had heart attack #2 followed by a quadruple bypass in Feb. 2010..He has planted his garden, returned to his job, and seems to be doing great..works in his garden and yard everyday.

LOL...my garden is growing just like yours..lol

I know I would love a tut on the wind generator.

Neat idea on the strawberry tube!
LindaCA
Concord, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2010
7:10 AM

Post #7935220

A wind generator, wow I would love to know how.lol
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 1, 2010
7:14 AM

Post #7935228

Me, too!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2010
7:40 AM

Post #7935293

Waiting... with great interest!
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

July 1, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #7935445

Sounds good!
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

July 1, 2010
8:16 PM

Post #7936794

ok guys we are starting work on it in about a week/week and a half. got to scrounge as many parts as i can and buy the rest
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

July 11, 2010
9:05 AM

Post #7959634

Ok, My strawberries are now producing even though they are growing in water. (In buckets) I have had the tubes for a long while and today I will try to get them planted. I got a fountain to help with the watering situation.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2010
9:26 AM

Post #7970412

Producing in buckets of water! That is amazing. I'd think they would rot.
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

August 25, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #8061816

sorry guys been busy as a beaverbee been building the dam with my tail while gathering the nectar. i will try to start up the projects in September, my fall garden should be done by then and the greenhouse work won't be as much so should have a few spare moments to invent
and i'll try to get on DG for a few min. a night to talk.
"whitebear"
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

August 27, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #8065767

ok here is some of the thing i have been up to. this was for a friends wedding

Thumbnail by gthumbus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

August 27, 2010
3:35 PM

Post #8065805

THAT is impressive!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2010
3:43 PM

Post #8065823

Wow! How long did it take you to make?
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

August 27, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #8065991

one day of baking and about 3 hrs of decorating
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

August 27, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #8066020

just went out and look what i found

Thumbnail by gthumbus

gthumbus
Gentry, AR

August 27, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #8066033

and here is my new pride and joy. it's a Black Java one of the most endangered chicken there are only a few thousand left. guna help these guy's come back from the brink.
whitebear

Thumbnail by gthumbus

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #8066262

Ooooo... babies, how exciting!
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

August 28, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #8066749

Wow, those black ones are really big! Are the eggs big?

I have some eggs coming for me to hatch this September. I am in it for the egg colors. I have a Americana, (Teal eggs) Brahmas (Lt Brown eggs) Marans (Dk brown eggs) I have a Danish brown leghorn, who stopped laying after the first season. Then I bread my Black Copper Maran to the Americana and now I have olive eggers!

I am getting some Exchequer Leghorn eggs and a lady who has pink and gray eggs.( we will see if they are really pink!) Some mix, of course! And I am also hatching some Buff Orpington's for a friend. Is should be exciting! I can't keep them all, so if I have good luck with the hatch I will need to give some away.

Love the cake! They are lucky to have a friend who is so talented!
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

August 28, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #8067362

hay Imagesoart do you sale any of the marans eggs been wanting some but haven't found anyone around here yet. just bought 4 doz Guinea eggs and 2 doz bantams keep looking for more. lol . haven't gotten any eggs yet they are still settling in hope to get some soon. and the roster is about 2 to 2 1/2 foot tall i hope to get a flock of 100 by next year.
"whitebear"
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

August 31, 2010
4:23 PM

Post #8073361

well should be getting a hoop bender this week going to see if i can fill up my land with greenhouses lol one for chickens one for goats and a hole lot for veggies and maybe one to grow skittles lol
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

September 24, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #8119408

well guys and gals i went a did it. i started my own web site lol like i didn't have anything better with my time. come and visit me http://whitebearstips.web.com
so far just putting on the stuff that i've put on here. but going to start with new stuff soon
don;t worry i will be here to as much as possible.

i'm starting next week to build a new greenhouse for growing tomatoes threw the winter
going to use a rocket stove to heat along with the tilapia tank as a heat mass. the tomatoes i'll be growing will set fruit as low as 38 degrees so won't have to heat to much
well talk to you guys later
whitebear

CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 25, 2010
11:20 AM

Post #8120414

What kind of maters are you going to grow? I tried the link but it didn't work.
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

September 26, 2010
1:13 PM

Post #8122161

sorry still working on the link i'll let ya'll know when fixed
the type of maters are siberian
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2010
2:25 PM

Post #8122267

Thanks. I'll check them out.
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

September 30, 2010
8:57 AM

Post #8129518

ok i think i got it fixed try http://whitebearstips.webs.com/
whitebear
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

September 30, 2010
9:00 AM

Post #8129526

hay CajuninKy check those seeds out at seed savers exchange http://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=1236(OG)
its the cheapest i have found.
whitebear
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

October 11, 2010
7:44 AM

Post #8150129

Whitebear~ I have looked at your web page, but so far it will not let me be a member! It looks good tho...
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

October 11, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #8151222

hey imagesoart my site if very picky in who it lets in, just kidding lol. but my dad had the same problem going to try and figure it out. and thanks
whitebear
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

October 11, 2010
9:29 PM

Post #8151502

Well then, Dad and I are going to have to start our own club! LOL!
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

October 12, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #8153275

lol well keep trying and maybe i'll be able to figure out the problem
whitebear
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #8172143

Thanks for the link.
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

April 30, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8531043

hay guys i think i'm back. in the proses of building a 20 by 48 ft aquaponics greenhouse to grow lettuce in.
got the trusses up and the top plastic on putting in the 8000 gallon pool in tomorrow that will hold the fish then going to start the raft tanks and misting bed to start the seeds on. i'll try and get some photos taken and get on here. later
"Whitebear"

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8531207

Sounds great... looking forward to photos!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8531724

We are interested in seeing what you design.

But you must eat a lot of lettuce or are you a commercial grower?
If not, what else will you be growing aquaponically?
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

May 1, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8531950

well we do eat a lot of lettuce lol but i'm going to try and sell the cafe's around here and the collage.
as for what else i will be trying celery spinach and any leafy veggie, going to test out about everything and see how it goes . as soon as i get this one going i have another 20 by 48 greenhouse laying on the ground and it will go up then i hope every month to have up a new high tunnel till i have 3 acres under plastic.
i plan on filling those with strawberries,blackberries and all the veggies. been doing some reading and crops
produce up to 30 percent better under plastic,
"Bear"
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8531990

Wow! Very ambitious plans. It will be fun to watch your progress when you have time to post.

I am interested in what you call celery spinach. I grow a couple different celery flavored parsleys (par-cel) and also the Malabar spinach vine. Can you tell me more about your celery spinach?
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8532124

not a subscriber anymore so do not have access to all the threads - have not heard of how "Shoe" made out with the tornadoes - worried bout the dude & his - someone with news post please.
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

May 3, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8537802

sorry podster didn't mean to get your hopes up on a new veggie up but i ment to say celery and spinach.
been working on the system but has been to dark to take pic yet because i've been working at 2 jobs and not getting home till dark 30. so ive been working by truck light. hopefully buy this weekend i can have some photos on.
dyson sorry i haven't heard anything.
"whitebear"
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2011
1:33 AM

Post #8538644

Got a Dmail from Shoe - he and his are ok, minor wind damage.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8538891

Glad to see Whitebear is alright and to hear Shoe is alright, too!

Whitebear, anxious to see your pics. During all our rain, I was beginning to wonder how I could put up an acre or so of tunnels.
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

May 6, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8544769

hay guys sorry haven't got any pics up yet, been spending a lot of time at the hospital lately with my dad
hopefully i can soon. he is starting to get better now was a close one. thanks dyson for the info on shoe
"whitebear"
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 7, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8545349

Got a dmail from "justmelisa'' In KY she and hers are ok also - so much damage in so littlte time make you wonder about everyone.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8546212

I have not heard from her in ages. We are from the same place back home.
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

July 19, 2011
1:07 PM

Post #8702068

Whitebear, you are just down the road from me... less than 10 miles if ur still in Gentry. I'm very interested in your greenhouses and how they're coming along. Love DG and all the useful information I get from all of you :D
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

July 21, 2011
9:33 AM

Post #8706048

Hi Whitebear!

Hope all is good with you and yours! Always looking forward to your great posts. When you get a chance!

gthumbus
Gentry, AR

August 26, 2011
3:38 PM

Post #8778540

hay guys sorry haven't posted in a while been working 14 to 19 hrs a day for other people so my green houses are on stand by. i think i might have a guy that is going to come and work them for me for some of the veggies. i'll try to post later
"whitebear"
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

August 26, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8778912

Good to hear from you!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8779399

Definitely need updates. Missed you!
TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 26, 2011
2:06 AM

Post #8824246

Would love to see a tut on a wind generator, if you've done one yet! Hope all is well with you Whitebear. I know how busy a homestead can be.
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

September 30, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8831173

sorry haven't been able to do any thing on the homestead lately but i have been working from 6 in the morning to about 10 at night for two company s haven't had time for my place. i had to weed eat "inside the greenhouse" lol the grass was 6 ft high. oh start praying for me, i meet a guy that just started a company making veggie meat and he wants to talk to me about growing all the veggies that he puts in his meat. could be a big thing and i could get back to the homestead again. "fingers crossed" i will start back up with the pic's here soon. and i will try to get to the wind gen as soon as i can. missed being on here, i will check in once a week if i can.
Whitebear"
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

October 1, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8831401

We miss you! But we all understand you gotta pay the bills.
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

October 1, 2011
8:44 AM

Post #8831609

We do miss you! The veggie meat guy sounds promising! Carve out some time to chat with him. That could get him back to doing what you love. Hope all is well with the family!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2011
10:24 AM

Post #8832867

Veggie meat???
porkpal
Richmond, TX

October 2, 2011
11:45 AM

Post #8832960

See above.
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

October 2, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8833405

fake meat made from v eatables. family's doing go except for my pops he has lung cancer ya now and he came down with Pneumonia, was almost over it then bronchitis set in now he has some sort of rash, looks like shingles but doc didn't know what it was. so we are nursing him back to health right now. he wants to go fishing with me and my boy so bad, but told him he had to get better first.
so is anyone planting things up for fall. i'm going to plant lettuce and siberian tomatoes in the greenhouse next weekend i hope.
whitebear

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8833416

gthumbus wrote:and here is my new pride and joy. it's a Black Java one of the most endangered chicken there are only a few thousand left. guna help these guy's come back from the brink.
whitebear

If i ever get my dog proof coup built I'll have to see about getting some chicks from you. These are cute! Can you believe that domesticated farm animals like cows and chickens become extinct?! When i found this out i was horrified. Just goes to show "what's popular is not always what's right and what r
is right is not always popular."
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

October 2, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8833438

thanks outlaw that roster is a little past my knee in height. they say you turn them loose and they will fend for themself but i'll have to have 50 or more before i would do that lol.
whitebear

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8833446

Well... My dog is a border collie pit bull mix. So he has hearing tendencies and a strong prey drive. He heards, then eats chipmonks and squirrels lol he reminds me of a lone wolf. Lol i would not try to turn mine loose!
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

October 2, 2011
7:29 PM

Post #8833488

i hear ya, when i turn my guineas loose every year my pops accuses me of just feeding the owls and coyotes. i turn about 2 to 3 hundred loose and by nov. dec. there are only about 15 left. but the coyotes are feed good. now if i could only market the coyotes. lol
whitebear

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8833535

Lol around here they just decorate the walls nicely. I think there must have been a time when the hides were worth something, not anymore. Here is one my brother in law got, next to my father in laws bucks. All decked out for Christmas. :)
Can i ask why you turn them lose?

Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81

TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2011
10:59 PM

Post #8833694

I like veggie burgers. lol Praying for you. It would be wonderful if you could grow veggies for them, and get back to your homestead. (Confession - while my husband is a meat eater - I am a raw vegan. lol Had to go that way - got rid of HBP and diabetes by switching to fresh or dried fruits and vegetables. No more prescriptions for me!! True story.)

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8834068

Mmmmm... I have made home made veggie burgers! I'll see if i can find my recipe for you. The began ones are harder to keep together, but with kneading and careful handling they are edible. Lol not always nice patties though...
TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2011
9:39 PM

Post #8835190

Sounds good Outlaw. I don't mind if something doesn't look good, as long as it passes the taste test. lol
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

October 7, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8840331

sorry didn't answer till now, pops is back in the hospital. i turn the guineas loose to control the tick and fleas and chiggers and snakes, we have lots of all. i love veggie burgers to but still can't give up my ribeye once a month ohbaby. besides if i quite cooking them for everyone i think they would string me up. lol
whitebear
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8846899

Sorry about your Dad's troubles. Hope he is well soon.
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

October 14, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8849321

thanks CajuninKy he's starting to do better, now if i can keep him from working outside for a little while and rest up i think we can get him back
to somewhat normal. only trouble is he is to much like me and won't stay put in one place for long, lol
whitebear
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

December 29, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8947175

hay guys sorry i haven't been on but my pops went in to the hospital was there for about three weeks, spent most of the time up there and they had no wifi. but after three week brought him home because he wanted to die at home. then the day after thanksgiving he passed. going to miss that old fart. he was my best bud.
"whitebear"
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

December 29, 2011
8:33 PM

Post #8947182

well i guess i'll tell you what i'm going to be up to this next year. going to try and plant 1000-2000 strawberrie plants, going to do some experimenting with mitliters method of trace minerals. will try and do a tutorial on how to grow "indigenous beneficial microorganisms"
going to get some worm bins going. wanting to get a asparagus patch going this year. and wanting to try some kiwi. going to try and fill every bit of bare ground i can find with something.
"whitebear"

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

December 30, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8947334

whitebear, sorry for your loss of father and best bud rolled into one.

2012 plan sounds great!
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

December 30, 2011
8:35 AM

Post #8947596

Hey Whitebear,
Sending my thoughts and prayers for you and your family. So sorry to hear about your Dad.

Looking forward to a better 2012.

gthumbus
Gentry, AR

December 31, 2011
9:14 AM

Post #8948871

thanks guys and thanks to the little angel that payed for my membership for another year. i'm in Texas right now but when i get home i will start the pics back up and the tutorial started back up.
"whitebear"
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #8957561

So sorry about your Dad's passing. It's a hard thing.

Sounds like you have big plans for 2012. Looking forward to reading about it.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #8962750

so sorry. :(

gthumbus
Gentry, AR

January 11, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #8963603

thanks cajuninky and cricket.
on to happy things what does everyone got planted? my list so far

cabbage
broccoli
cauliflower
bok choi
kohlrabi
leeks
lettuce
onions
spinach
kale
and tomatoes
will be planting more next week
i will be leaving that crazy job that has me working 12-16 hrs without any brakes and going to work for my friend at her greenhouse so i will
be able to get back to mine this year yahoo. so now the adventure can start back up lol
"Whitebear"

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 11, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #8963626

Too cold to plant anything here until mid-March, and only cold-hardy then.

Good for you on the job change!
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

January 11, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #8963647

oh sorry should of been more clear about the planting. i am starting them inside under lights then will move them to the seedling greenhouse until
thy go into the big greenhouse to await planting in the ground. i think its going to be in the teens tonight here then going to warm up to the 40-50 thy say.
side note" a weather man is the only person i know that can be wrong 90 percent of the time and still be trusted" lol
"whitebear"
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

January 11, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #8963952

OK, I would love to start some plants in the greenhouse. I remember when you started some tomatoes. Can you tell us again how you start them and then thin them into separate containers? I always plant them separately, and I don't have as good of a survival rate as you seem to.

The weather is unusually warm right now, here in California. But, we are really dry, and we need some rain soon! Or we will run out of water by next August.

I have my pen an paper out... I am ready to take notes! ;)
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

January 11, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #8964007

ok the only thing i do is take a disposable sandwich container. the cheap ones drill some holes in the bottom and place some loose potting soil in to it then i sprinkle the seeds "if you use the seeds in the paper envelopes like you get at walmart put in about 4 to6 packs" then place some soil on top of seeds then place it in water to soak up as much water as it can. then i put it under my florescent lights and one regular light bulb for heat "100 watt" and let them grow. when they are about an inch high i soak the container in water until the soil is soaked. then you can pull a small amount of soil and mater plants out and separate the plants "one trick i use is to have a bowl of water beside me and swish the plant in it to get rid of most of the soil then plant them into larger pots or into 4 or 6 packs for sale. i use a pencil to poke a hole and to push the roots down into the hole "be gentle. and thats it
"whitebear"
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

January 11, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #8964023

this is the type of container

Thumbnail by gthumbus

TXbabybloomer
Dayton, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #8968805

So sorry to hear about your Dad passing Whitebear.
That's some mighty nice looking seedlings you have there! I'm hoping to get some tomatoes and pepper seeds started soon. And as soon as I can, I want to start some onion, leek, and lettuce too.
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

January 15, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #8968832

thanks txbabybloohe sounds like a good plan, i'm trying iceberg lettuce for the first time, i have always grow leaf lettuce we'll see what happens
"whitebear"
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

February 21, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9014494

Thanks for the tomato seedling advice! I have some great ones started.

One year I had a cherry tomato plant that reached up to the top of the greenhouse, then I attached the branches across the celling. I took off all of the leaves from the stem. It spanned the entire top of the greenhouse and I have tomatoes for most of the winner. I want to try that again!

Of course I now had dozens of seedlings to work with!
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 24, 2012
9:50 PM

Post #9019070

Whitebear,
I heard that there is gonna be a small animal swap meet in garfield march 3rd @ the feed store, starting @830 am. Yhought ya might be interested!
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

February 27, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9022011

thanks 0_angi2001 i saw that somewhere was wanting to go to it but i think thats when im going to an auction over in OK
hoping to get some 100,000-200,000 btu heaters, and some fans b ut thanks for the heads up.
oh and if you ever get to fayetville in the strip mall across from the V.A. hospital check out a little place called
"Something Better" in about 3-4 months i should be supplying them with all their veggies or as much as i can.
I will be growing them the vegan way.
"whitebear"
o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

February 27, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9022607

Awesome! I will definitely check it out. I stopped at tractor supply in bentonville today but the chicks aren't in yet. They say 1st to 7th they getting them. Don't know what kind how many or which day. Oh here's an interesting fact. Centerton allows hens as pets, as many as you want. Can't sell eggs or butcher. And they allow roosters in city limits. My friend called city hall to find out, so if anyone you know is interested there ya go :)

What kind of heaters and fans? I'm remodeling my trailer over by war eagle and not sure if the furnace worka yet lol
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

February 28, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9023745

old chicken house heaters. but i met a guy today that has 6 - 200,000-300,000 btu heaters he will sell me for 200 a peace
so if i don't find and at the auction i told him i would come back and talk.
well i have about 100 hanging baskets to plug up wendsday or thursday, the back to the 6 packs
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

March 3, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9028203

ok people thanks for being so patient with me, i think we can start back at it now.
i will get some pics of the greenhoues and whats in side but for now i will show you why
my wife loves early spring "NOT"
i kinda take over the kitchen counter.lol

Thumbnail by gthumbus

gthumbus
Gentry, AR

March 3, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9028210

here is a forest of tomatoes

Thumbnail by gthumbus

o_angi2001
Bentonville, AR

March 3, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9029019

Awesome!

I made it to the swap meet, it will be a regular thing. 1st saturday of every month starting May. They were unable to have birds this time bc of usda regulations about testing, but that will not be a problem from here on out. There were rabbits and goats, though, and it was a success. Especially consdering it was the first one and there were no poultry allowed. Goats sold out! And lots of rabbits were sold!

I managed to get come chickens and ducks anyway, and am now a bird mommy! Centerton will not be having anymore poultry sales apparently, as of this week, so I really hope this swap meet continues.

Your plants look gr8. Keep posting! I have plant envy.
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

March 4, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9029244

cograts mommy, hope i can get to it one of these days.
well i said i would get photos and here are some
this is my seed starting house

Thumbnail by gthumbus

gthumbus
Gentry, AR

March 4, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9029249

here are some of the hanging baskets just planted

Thumbnail by gthumbus

gthumbus
Gentry, AR

March 4, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9029261

this links getting to long so we went here :http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1245060/

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9029427

Try this for an active link to follow on...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1245060/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Homesteading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
Ways to "Live off the land", share your ideas PeggieK 149 Mar 25, 2010 10:10 AM
Looking for possible partners in a homestead darius 71 Mar 24, 2012 3:49 PM
Explain makshi 49 Aug 6, 2008 2:36 PM
Ducks vs. Chickens nivlac 85 Apr 23, 2013 6:45 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America