Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

What kind of wildlife is in your pond?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 300 votes:

Fish
(31 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Frogs
(25 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Snakes
(0 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Snails
(3 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Some or all fo the above
(75 votes, 25%)
Red dot

Plants only - no wildlife
(9 votes, 3%)
Red dot

I don't have a pond
(157 votes, 52%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Some day I'll have a pond, but for now it remains a drowning hazard for my little girl so I will continue to enjoy people's ponds through pictures on Dave's Garden.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I do keep 4 African cichlids in my pond: pseudotropheus socolofi but they can not be considered wildlife. The rest is water plants: elephant ears, etc.

Sylvain.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

We have comets & shubunkins with frogs, tons of tadpoles & lots of plants.

Kristy

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

No pond, don't want one either.
... too high maintenance, I have enough with the plants..

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I don't have a pond right now, but am seriously considering putting one in. I'd love to listen to the water and hearing frogs.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

In my small molded garden pond, I keep goldfish, frogs come on their own, and the occasional snake slithers through. My last batch of fish was entering its 3rd season with no fatalities, but about a week ago something ate half of them. They are only 15 cents apiece at the feed store, so not a huge investment, and some are quite beautiful.

We also have a large in-stream farm pond in our lower field which has all sorts of native wildlife - fish, clams, ducks, heron, eagles, kingfishers, blackbirds, tons of frogs, and even an occasional river otter family. We unfortunately also have beavers, which do no end of damage and flooding, but it's a perfect habitat for them so we try to coexist... I'm sure we have other mammals as well (deer, coons, possums, squirrels), but I don't ever see them, likely because there is acres of woods behind the pond for protection. We regularly hear the coyotes and owls, and occasionally spot them.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from 2racingboys :
We have comets ....

What sort of solar system do you have? ;-)

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

My pond is in the form of a disappearing fountain, created with a seven foot sugar kettle from Louisiana. No snakes, fish, nutria, beavers - only birds that like to sit on the lip and bathe.

Thumbnail by ceejaytown
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

That's the pond I want!

Beautiful!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

ceejay, that is so beautiful! i'm blown away!

i answered all of them and here's one that wasn't mentioned...alligators. our pond is a small lake. i'll gladly trade for a sugar kettle!

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Did you forget Turtles for voting?? lol I only have turtles right now as the herons have eaten all my fish!!

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

I would love to have a pond but with two young boys it's way over on the back burner!

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

In our climate I can't even keep a puddle! :-)

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Resin, you're tooo funny! :-)

Florence, MS(Zone 7b)

I'd love to have a pond, but I've used up most of my space with fruit trees ;-)
Susana Mc

South Hamilton, MA

We don't have a pond, but do have a vernal pool in the spring. (They dry up during the summer.) People have moved the rocks to drain it, afraid of the water onto their property. DH talked to the nearest neighbor about it & of course he was in 'not me' mode. DH explained what it was & asked if he saw anyone move rocks, let us know. No removal since. The pool is in our woody area near our lot line. People are so used to getting rid of water, that they don't understand that even small areas have their uses. We do have salamanders in the woods & certainly want to keep the small areas which incubate the eggs intact.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Old pond was wore out. Started building new this spring. So far I have the top pond done with the waterfalls. Waiting on some supplies I ordered. On the right of the picture, will be a stream with very slow moving water, then onto the lower pond. I will use Goldfish in the pond. We keep them in the house in winter.
Snakes & frogs & other creatures will be welcome at their leisure.

Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Are any of those rocks Kentucky rocks Bernie? (you ought to take some home this year if not.)

Olympia, WA

Wet raccoon footprints gave evidence of what happened to my fish!

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I've got a new pond this year. Currently working on getting plants in around the pond.

Have comet and goldfish in there that we winter indoors, no plants yet for they are not being sold at the nurseries and garden centers yet and frogs are more than welcome whenever they would like.

Thumbnail by cececoogan
Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

I voted no pond as of yet but we do have a small lake on the property and it has fish ,frogs ,turtles and ocassionally a snake or two wandering through. Lots of Catails and algae

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

another view

Thumbnail by cececoogan
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I so want a pond, but can't afford one yet. Do tadpoles in the rain barrel count. There are hundreds of them.

Becky

Thumbnail by beclu727
Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

My "pond" is a faux half whiskey barrel with a deerchaser bamboo fountain. The snails keep the sides clean of algae, so I welcome them. Would love to have a froggie in there, but it's probably not big enough. The big "pond" is a swimming pool that occasionally has humans (and the neighborhood mallard ducks) in it.

This message was edited May 12, 2010 11:02 AM

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

We get the occasional frog, but the most frequent visitor to our pond was one of our golden retrievers. Once we decided to finally put the pond in, it was designed to be dog-friendly (translation: no plants or fish, and easily accessible steps to get in/out). There is no keeping most goldens out of the water, so we just had to go into it with that in mind. Here's a picture of Greta at age 15 in "her" pond.

Thumbnail by mom2goldens
Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

Just a few goldfish.I put a few peices of 2" pvc pipe on the bottom.It gives the fish a place to hide from intruders.Edge

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Melody, only Kentucky rock are the pair of bookends that Doug had on the door prize table. They sit on my chest of drawers.
All the rocks came off our place. Part of our field has lots! Even a Indian artifact now & then. A little hill above the creek where they must have camped on their journeys.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

Hmmmm ..... do cows count as wildlife? Today we had one curly headed Hereford bathing in her pond. Sorry no picture of the bath but here is her curly headed face.

CURLY SUE

Thumbnail by MiniPonyFarmer
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Poor cow was probably needing a day at the beach!

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

I don't have a pond.....just ditches with lots of frogs, some turtles and probably a snake or two that I don't want to know about. I don't think I want a pond because I would probably have an alligator and I don't want one of them either. A man down the street has a pond and a gator killed his dog!!

Weedville, PA(Zone 6a)

The pond here has frogs and frogs and frogs...the peepers are loud enough to keep you up at night! There are also fish, but the eating kind of fish. (I know I may get kinda slammed for this...but I'll admit it anyway...) We have caught local catfish and brought them home. This is my first year of tending this pond and I've been told by DBF to "just watch it for a year and see what it does before doing anything." The pond is freshwater fed and it drains out to a river...so no Koi or Fancy Goldfish for me...no plants that are not native. It also sometimes goes almost dry. That's why the catfish...they can survive almost anything...but if the pond goes dry there will be an early feast, I don't care what anyone tries to tell me!!!

There are Iris, Pussy Willow, Daylilies, Roses and Sedum growing wild in and on the edge of the pond. I plan on adding to them, but using them where they are happily growing now.

There are also snakes around here, but not specifically in the pond...just around the woods. I do wonder if they will wander down to the pond's edge later in the year. I guess that's part of the DBF's "watch and learn" for a year strategy.

South Hamilton, MA

What type of iris? If it is 'yellow flag' ( I. pseudacorus) make sure to pick off any seed pods so that it does not spread.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Mom2goldens - what an adorable picture!

We adopted a 6-year-old golden last August and have found him to be a fabulous dog. Doesn't seem to like the swimming pool much, though, so we don't press it.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Mom2goldens - she looks like a golden we once had names Peaches, who also loved the water. They are the greatest and most loving dogs!!! I love your picture!

Weedville, PA(Zone 6a)

IrisMA, not sure what kind of Iris it is yet, I haven't seen the blooms as of yet. I just recognize the unmistakable foliage. I'm kinda excited to see what kind it is. I'd love it if it spread...anywhere it wants to. I only know a little about Iris...just enough to grow some unfussy ones...I'm surprised these are growing and looking so great with their rhizomes being right in the water's edge (sometimes they are submerged, sometimes not, but always in very wet soil). If memory serves, is it LA Iris that is good in ponds? Maybe that's what it is. We'll see before too long!

South Hamilton, MA

I hope that it is a LA

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Love my frogs!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Love my Koi!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I have toads and tadpoles, but also shubunkin and regular goldfish. Herons and bad ownership killed my koi. I also have an abundance of large dragonflies in the summer, so their nymphs are in the water now.
Our new terrier puppy is facinated with the toads so we can't wait until the wee ones start jumping out of the pond.
I love everyone's pictures!! Ceejay...that water feature is awsome!!!
Beahive.....Bullfrogs eat fish. Not sure if that is a bullfrog but it has a fairly big mouth!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.