Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Seed Snatchin': The Art and Sport of Collecting Seeds: reseeding

Communities > Forums > Article: Seed Snatchin': The Art and Sport of Collecting Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Article: Seed Snatchin': The Art and Sport of Collecting SeedsReplies: 2, Views: 18
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
goodtwin1
Fort Worth, TX

May 11, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7784640

Okay, I am almost embarassed to ask this question, BUT I will anyway. My Texas Gold columbine flowers are beginning to go to seed. Will any of the seed germinate this year if I plant them, or does it have to wait until next year?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #7785101

Columbine seed seems to germinate most readily after a period of cold... so I'm guessing you'll see volunteers next spring from any seeds you don't collect. Winter Sowing works nicely with Columbines. (See this article I did on winter sowing them as iris companions: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2091/)

I've also had the seed germinate pretty well after simply sticking it in the fridge a couple of weeks, so you could try that if you want to get some started this year. Your plant should give you plenty of seeds to play with!
goodtwin1
Fort Worth, TX

May 12, 2010
10:05 AM

Post #7786682

Thank you very much. I have a plentiful supply of seeds, as I did last year. I just wanted to sow some in a different area of my yard and wondered if I'd have to wait until next year. I appreciate the reply!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Seed Snatchin': The Art and Sport of Collecting Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Too true and it is great fun... podster 26 Jul 31, 2008 3:24 AM
loving this Dutchlady1 0 Nov 30, 2007 7:41 PM
seed snatchin' lobelialady 2 Mar 30, 2009 2:43 PM
Brings back memories! plantladylin 5 Nov 4, 2009 9:32 PM
Flower seeds Mamad2 1 Dec 3, 2007 3:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America