-
AuthorContent
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2010
8:23 PM

Post #7785346

We installed 2 new 9 lite service doors in our garage building. They are steel with grey primer coat.

What type of paint should I use?

I think a small roller would be good for applying the paint ?

The one door faces north and the other one gets the full blast of the glorious A.M. sun.

Just worried that the paint might blister or peel.

What about the part of the door that touches the weather stripping when it closes ?

worry worry lol

What say you ?

TIA,
shirley
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

May 17, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #7802276

I know that part of the paint blister / peel problem is if you paint in weather that is too hot or cold. I don't know the guidelines for proper temperatures but I know it can be an issue. I would think any exterior paint would work well on a primed door.
I don't see why you couldn't use a roller with a proper nap - but if there is a raised panel, you may want to brust the inside corners of the raised panel - brush does a better job on that.

Not sure what you mean ...are you talking about he inside edge of the door where it closes against the opening of the door frame (the weather strip question) I would roll that too and make sure it is really dry before you attach the door and open and close it. What color are you painting it?
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2010
2:49 PM

Post #7852792

ScooterBug,

Since you are in Tellico Plains and it does get colder up there I would recommend an additional primer coat (Zink) and a good exterior paint in the color of your choice the weather up there can be harsh on steel . you can do it with a roller , however a bit of tape and plastic and a power painter would give you a better finish and better coverage and last longer for years to come .

Good Luck The Sarg

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates
Click the image for an enlarged view.

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 3, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #7855355

Thanks for your concerns Sarg but "colder up here"?

We are down in the flats of the historic (IMO) Ballplay area on the plains.

Actually our weather is beautifully tempered compared to the surrounding areas and higher elevations.

If there were a way to make a weekly paycheck/living out here there would be nary a piece of vacant land to be had. Wonderful for retirees tho ♥ Hooo rah for our side :-))

Hmmmmmmm ... I was not aware that power sprayed paint give more durability. Thanks for that tip.

TTYL,
shirley

This message was edited Jun 3, 2010 1:59 PM
Ret_Sgt_Yates
Sparta , TN
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2010
11:00 AM

Post #7855383

lol back in the day when i was a lad I put the new 18 inch line to the trout hacheryup there the fresh water line that feeds the hatchery that is . thats how i know where your at stoped at the hardees at the bottom of the Mt. in town every mornin for a sasuge and biscut and up to the top of the Mt. till night took 6 month to get it all done .

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 163 Jul 31, 2007 1:21 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 41 Feb 3, 2014 11:13 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America