Photo by Melody

Article: Vita Sackville-West: My favorite garden writer!

Communities > Forums > Article: Vita Sackville-West
bookmark
Forum: Article: Vita Sackville-WestReplies: 5, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

May 12, 2010
4:36 AM

Post #7785751

Sue: Thank you for this article on Sissinghurst and VSW. I have several books by her and about her and find her life fascinating and strangely puzzling. But the gardens at Sissinghurst are something I hope to see for myself some day!

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

May 12, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7785929

I have seen Sissinghurst at two different seasons. Of course my favorite was when the irises are in bloom. The later roses are breathtaking. For visitors, it has a lovely small restaurant as well.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

May 12, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #7786165

I think I have all her books. I always think of VSW as the most glamorous woman in garden history!
Imagine designing gardens around a castle and writing a garden column for all the sophisticated English gardeners! Always in a social twirl. I love Gertrude Jekyl's books, too and her ideas are still valid today. She was personally not a glamorpuss though. But then we knew her when she was quite elderly.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

May 12, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #7787771

Actually, Gertrude Jekyll is excellent as well and while I don't have any of her books (yet), that doesn't diminish my appreciation of her as a gardener and a writer. I've learned that everyone has a story to tell, and while she came late to the party, I'm sure she led an interesting life, just not on the same plane as VSW! Who did or does? LOL

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7788521

Lovely article, Sue...I love Vita's garden writings, too.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2010
10:49 PM

Post #7788739

Interesting life, to say the least. It was in turmoil for most of her life, but still she was able to be creative through her written works as well as her love of gardens and garden design.

Maybe the next writer that will be feature will be Gertrude Jeckyll. Who wants to have a go at it?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Vita Sackville-West Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks gwen21 0 May 12, 2010 6:37 AM
Sissinghurst daphnep 1 May 12, 2010 10:51 PM
Loved Sissinghurst lisablystone 3 Mar 16, 2012 9:06 PM
descendant of Sir Richard Baker! mybrigadoon 0 May 18, 2010 2:19 AM
Vita Sackville-West omasuziq 2 May 20, 2010 3:27 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America