Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Roses: Deadheading carpet roses

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 4, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

May 12, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #7787882

I have had a white carpet rose for several years which has done very well. It has spread and has required little attention - doesn't even seem to attract those dratted Japanese beetles. I have never done much deadheading of the spent blossoms - too much other stuff to do (working long hours - garden seems to get the leftover time). It has so many blossoms all the time. This weekend I got another carpet rose - an amber (yellow/amber) one. So my question is: do you folks deadhead carpet roses or just leave all those blossoms for nature to take care of?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 12, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #7788505

I deadhead all my roses except the once - bloomers.

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

May 13, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #7790910

Porkpal: Wow - that sets a high bar to emulate. I may have to set the goal of doing faithful deadheading after Dec 2011 (RETIREMENT - if I last that long). I have all kinds of resolutions about being a really good gardener when I can get out there every day instead of just a few minutes in the evening and on weekends. Good housekeeping of the roses will be at the top of the list.
GardenQuilts
Pocono Mountains, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2010
8:06 PM

Post #7791461

I deadhead my roses also. It goes very quickly, once you get started. I hold a small clipper in one hand and catch the dropped flower heads with a little pail. Sometimes I slip the pail down on my wrist.

Even if you manage to deadhead most of the roses most of the time even if you miss a few hard to get blossoms, your roses should bloom more and your garden will look tidier. You'll also notice any insect and disease problems before they get out of hand.
chicochi3
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #7794621

I have a couple of red carpet roses, and unfortunately I do nothing with them. Period. They don't seem to care and bloom profusely every year. It's probably just a matter of opinion whether to deadhead them or not.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America