-
AuthorContent
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 12, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #7787889

To continue edewitt's original post that had 111 replies (wow)...was taking too long for my pc to load the page!
Spent all day weeding, tying up and cutting several layers of lower leaves...and I still only got 2/3 of the way done! I hate how skinny cutting off the lower leaves makes them look, but it's so much more helpful having them gone lol. I had to take several breaks today as it was very close to 90 degrees all day long. Which is why I wanted to cut all those leaves-if it's this bloody hot already, they're going to need as much air flow as possible. I'm also going to need to add about 4" more mulch, but didn't make it that far. Anyone ever use the flat, green/clearish tape for tying off? Just curious if anyone likes it, as I really don't. Got it on clearance and thought I'd try it. And I see several plants with baby buds on them, yay!

Thumbnail by queequeg_1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2010
5:20 PM

Post #7787909

Good job!

We're here wearing our winter clothes and you're sweating. Seems like we'd each be happy sharing some of our weather.

I use telephone cord (from a garage sale) to tie up the dahlias and it can't be seen when they have their leaves. It's also used over and over again. Not bad - $2.00 for a huge reel of it and it's so easy to cut with a scissors and very strong.
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 12, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #7788034

Yes! I would LOOOVE a bit of a weather blend! Can we swap 15 degrees?
Telephone cord, huh? Cool. I'm surprised you can cut it with scissors, but I've never tried. Just assumed there was some tough copper wiring inside. Even cooler is the price! I usually use regular twine and even that's $3-ish for approx. 250'.
That green tape is too cumbersome. I'm usually in some weird position, trying to tie it off but, because it's flat, it's hard to get a knot into it...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7788085

I've tried the green twist tie stuff, the fabric type of tape used for tomatoes, string, twine, nylons and so far the telephone cord is the winner.

I would love 15 degrees warmer!
fdr2164
clinton, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 13, 2010
5:39 AM

Post #7789062

I decided to start all of my dahlias in the greenhouse this year. I plan on planting in the garden at the end of May.

Here's a link to a recent photo of the greenhouse... 450 dahlias and 105 calla lilies.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50697352@N00/4596282665/
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2010
5:56 AM

Post #7789103

And you got roses in there too? Dang! How big is your garden? 450 dahlias! Are you a grower/seller? LOL!
Too many questions!
I ordered some newer varieties of calla lilies too and planted them corms/bulbs over a month ago in the garden and in pots. I thought they got rotten. I didn't realize it takes them forever to sprout. They just started sprouting out of the ground.
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #7789310

Looks good, Carrie. I've brought up a few flats and pots to harden off in the garage and will begin planting today. I didn't like the wider ~5/8" green tape, but the narrower version works well for me. I have 6000 ft of white bailing twine to use up somehow LOL- hated the 'stringing it in rows method,' kept forgetting it was there and trying to walk through it. Perhaps someone could knit a giant weatherproof shawl for the Statue of Liberty?

fdr, your greenhouse is a marvelous sight. A gardener's playhouse!
todgor
West Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #7789577

Heh, I will coin the term "greenhouse envy"! Quite an amazing setup, fdr.
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 13, 2010
3:11 PM

Post #7790649

Uhhhmmm... I second that greenhouse envy! Awesome!

Annie-I wondered how you made out in your warmer, drier weather this past weekend. Yay for you getting to plant today! From what I've seen of what you have started, your plants are already off to a plump, healthy start. I think I expressed my sprout envy a few weeks ago. I'm too bumble-fingered for anything smaller than twine, I think. Maybe you could donate your twine here...

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/8543
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2010
3:59 PM

Post #7790738

Queequeg, what is the benefit of removing those lower leaves?
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2010
4:13 PM

Post #7790776

Wait a minute! The World's Largest Ball of Twine is in MN! I have inlaws in that vicinity and I daresay the twine ball is the only attraction in that little town. They sent us a DVD of it LOL (Undoubtedly not carried by Netflix, and no, we haven't watched it yet.) Looks like there's some debate over the location of the biggest ball of cast-off string and such.
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2128

It is glorious here now that it's over 40 and not raining- 75 to be exact and not a cloud in the sky- FINALLY!!! Weekend should be nice too, so progress will be made. Mostly I'm digging holes to let them warm and aerate, hauling and working in compost and setting out stakes. So far, there are... drumroll...12 in the ground! Quite a ways to go. Every year I swear I'm going to be more organized with colors/heights, but every year the 3-footers leap ahead of the 5-footers in pots/trays and my plans are then cast aside. Or there's room left in a flat of yellows so in go some purples... they'll get sorted out some year. Maybe. Back to work I go..
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 13, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7790836

LOL---Wow, what some people do as a hobby. (Not you-the twine roller) And another wow that you have a DVD about it!

12 sounds like progress to me! Oooo-a lone purple in a sea of yellow sounds beautiful.

Gemini-sage...cutting the lower leaves allows more air flow through them. Important if you're in humid climates, or if you've squeezed a lot into a smaller space, or there's not great air flow in the area. All three of those describe me, so you bet I hacked and hacked those leaves to pieces.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7791105

Ok, good to know I'm not messing up there, LOL. I typically have them dotted throughout the gardens rather than all together, although I do need to be watchful about crowding them with other plants. We do have humid summers, but I live on a hill and get a pretty constant breeze, when its not downright windy.
edewitt
Boise, ID

May 14, 2010
8:08 PM

Post #7793817

I was so close to having 100 regular dahlias in the pictures and that's not including the dahliettas in the bottom right hand side. The first three rows are the dahlias that have sprouts poking through the soil so far.

Thumbnail by edewitt

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2010
8:12 PM

Post #7793824

Wow! I'm very impressed. You only became interested in them last year, right?

Amazing progress!
edewitt
Boise, ID

May 14, 2010
8:42 PM

Post #7793891

Sadly, yes. I've got more on the way as well. The week before last I ordered Alfred Grille, Elma Elizabeth, Hillcrest Kismet, Lady Darlene, Master David, and Spartacus. I swear I'd better have an over abundance of tubers by the end of the season. Digging, dividing, and storing these is going to be a pain come Oct./Nov.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 14, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #7793903

My latest progress

Thumbnail by dahlianut

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 14, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #7793910

TOTALLY JUST KIDDIN! But what an awesome gift from a friend! Notice the whale vase which I can use for blooms all summer? Did I mention that I'm all misty about this gift?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #7794324

You had me there for a minute!

I hope to be planting tubers by next week. Some are over a foot tall down in the basement and under lights. Others have just begun to sprout and a few are sound asleep but not snoring, most thankfully.
Steve812
Prescott, AZ
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #7799348

Some of my dahlias are poking through the ground, just.
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2010
10:29 PM

Post #7799601

I love the whale vase and the flower adorning it. A treasured thing for many future flowers.

Planting is now well underway and I know I should be cramming them in closer together than I am. Intermittent showers are so annoying: should one stop or just stay put and suffer through them? More time was wasted today going in and out of the house or garage than actually digging and planting. There are plants ranging from invisible (tubers underground) to foot tall and bustin' forth. One has already been broken off at the tuber with a mysterious big dog print near the broken stalk. I hate it when that happens.

ED: may I recommend extra strength Tylenol as a pre-medication for all the digging you will be doing? You're going to have a beautiful yard!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2010
5:47 AM

Post #7799936

Happy Birthday, Dahlianut! May your day be filled with sprouting tubers!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #7799957

I fell in love with Dahlias last September when I went to Buchart gardens, unfortunately it's too hot here for a lot of them, but a member sent me a few bulbs who thought they would do well here, and have the first bloom this morning.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

edewitt
Boise, ID

May 17, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #7802231

What in the cuss is that? It seems to have formed around one eye. There are a couple of other eyes on it. Should I chop off the infected area and pot it? I'd hate to lose Drummer Boy before he gets a chance to bloom. :-(

Thumbnail by edewitt

queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 17, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #7802331

[quote="Poochella"]
One has already been broken off at the tuber with a mysterious big dog print near the broken stalk. I hate it when that happens.
[/quote]

Ohhh...side hurts from laughing. Sorry, Annie. It's not funny that this happened, but just the way you describe it.

Ed-what the heck is that? It looks a little familiar but can't remember...it's not gall is it?

Rjudd-Yay! You win the first to bloom award! It looks purdy-do you know what the name is?

Pirl, Annie, Ed, Dnut, et al. who are starting the 1'+ plants...do you have down time where they're all wilty and sad when transplanting them and they are well established? Or is it not a problem if you harden off properly?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7802403

Best bet is generally to plant them when we're due for a few days of overcast weather or even rain. If the sun insists on shining they can be covered with damp newspapers, taken off at sundown or thereabouts.

That's ugly looking stuff, Ed. Can you use a knife to cut the uglies off and then use a fungal powder or Lysol and allow the tuber to dry before planting? We'll see what Annie says.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 17, 2010
7:16 PM

Post #7802437

Dear Queeq you have hot and I have cold but methinks the shock is the same. They will be shocky if you transplant into different conditions; tis a given. There can be a 'wilty' time if you don't expose them to your outside temps before you plant out. Sometime even when I do that though they do droop. I think it's all about " O this is different. Maybe I should go dormant and pout about it" It's think it's just a bad hair day. Also I find that singing helps ^_^
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2010
10:51 PM

Post #7803005

Congratulations on the first sunny bloom Rjudd.

Yeah, funny Pirl. I don't get upset about it, I just took the two broken off stalks, whipped off lower leaves and stuck them in the hole to see if they will root or not.

Eric, that ugliness is either eye fasciation or crown gall, but the ADS site photo of crown gall looks a lot less creepy. It looks like you could cut off that whole stem with the affected part and let the other eye showing do the growing. Might be a good candidate for a pot. I had this one below one year and it grew fine in a pot. I didn't save the tubers from it though that year.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/poochella/Dahlia%20Lessons/eyefasciation407Small.jpg

Maybe use google to check out those two things and what to do about them, or contact the seller for their input?
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2010
5:46 AM

Post #7803449

I don't know the name. I got a box full of mixed bulbs, sort of a grab bag of ones thought would do well here.
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2010
7:35 AM

Post #7803881

I forgot the wilty transplant question-mine get just 3 days hardening off out of the greenhouse, then put a couple handfuls of the starter mix they're used to (those in flats) into the hole, cover the roots with another handful of same, cover shallowly with garden soil, and water the root area lightly to modestly with B1 transplant solution depending on the root mass formed. The plants are standing upright and unstressed except the one with the huge dog print by it. Our temps have cooled off 10 degrees this week, so that's helping too.

Do you have the dahlias really well mulched by now? I think they'd appreciate it in your heat.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2010
8:11 AM

Post #7803999

Your right, have been meaning to mulch. I planted mine in the back garden in part sun, which seemed to make them happy. I'm astonished how quickly these guys grow. I planted the bulbs directly 2 months ago, and they are averaging 2 feet at the moment, except 1, which I think might be a smaller type. I hope they multiply!
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 19, 2010
7:48 AM

Post #7806764

[quote="dahlianut"] It's think it's just a bad hair day. Also I find that singing helps ^_^[/quote]

Owww...laughed so hard, coffee came out of my nose...NOT okay. lol.

Thanks for all the ideas. I was mostly curious about transplanting. I've never had to do it when they're that big.

Today is the day I re-mulch. I did once already, but I can tell I need more. It's getting so hot mid-day now, they look pathetic for a few hours. Found a plant with spider mites on one plant the other day. Just a few, so I didn't rip it up-hope I don't regret that. I just Bayer 3-in-1'd the heck out of it and all the others, too. I had been doing Malathion preventatively, but either it wasn't enough or I missed that plant, or something. I swear, I am going to go Rambo on those plants if I get the infestation I did last year. I'm out there every day, looking at the undersides of leaves, looking in nooks and crannys, etc. Grrr...evil, evil I hate them with all my might.

On the plus side, I have blooms beginning to open, but I want them to just hurry up!
Mingus Toni

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #7806856

Don't you remember..."You can't hurry love"?
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 19, 2010
4:02 PM

Post #7808239

..."How long must I wait?" Lol-how do folks insert those muscial note characters on here?

On an off-topic, but related to 'progress', I guess-was there conversation on how long it takes a seed to form a tuber? I think I remember talk/debate about it but can't find it now. I think it was in one of the 100+ reply threads lol.
Anyhoo, I had to pull up some Unwins (Annie gets paw prints next to broken stalks. I get browning plants with dog pee.) and found the babiest beginnings of tubers. Planted in March, so 2 months. Amazing little buggers.

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
4:43 PM

Post #7808371

"It's a game of give and take" - one leaves footprints and the other leaves a different type of love mark.

Those Unwins are fast growers!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 19, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7809018

oops sorry about the coffee Queeq. I have EXCITING new progress to report. I found a luvly Mystery day tuber with a sproutling at a garden centre which is very exciting cuz it was the first dahlia I ever grew here and I lost it in the October flash freeze last year and was very sad. Also I bought a luvly new border dahlia Grande Papagaya. Grow_Jo got it too.

Thumbnail by dahlianut

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 19, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #7809028

oops sideways before

Thumbnail by dahlianut

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #7809912

That's stunning.
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2010
7:48 AM

Post #7810242

Glowing and stunning! Glad you found a replacement for Mystery Day.

Carrie did you toss the Unwin's baby tubers? It would be fun to see what happened if you broke off the dog, um, fertilizer stained foliage and replanted the tubers. Might not be mature enough to produce more growth, I don't know. I'm often watching the dogs approach a garden bed while yelling, don't pee on my (insert plant name here!) Followed by "ohhh :( my (insert plant name here.)"

Music notes hit- alt 13, alt 14 will sometimes produce two connected notes, or kick you off the page on my computer. ♪♪
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 20, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #7812266

Hmmm...tried it-nuthin. ♪ ooo it worked. I used the top number, not the side numbers. ♪♪♪♪♪♫♫♫weee♫♫♦☼♠♣☻♥♠♦○♪♪♪♪♪☺♫♫♫♫♫ Only when you let go do you get the symbol. Wee-I love fun new stuff. I'm sure I'll forget how soon enough.
Thanks, Annie.
Yes, I replanted the peepee plant only because it only had a few lower leaves that were browned with, err, "love". So, it might be okay. Honestly, I have so many Unwins, I didn't so much care if I lost some, but the tubers were just too darn cute to lose.

Dnut-yay for your cutie-pie Papagaya AND finding Mystery Day. It was one of my very first ones, also. I lost it and miss it.
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2010
7:48 PM

Post #7812298

Got blooms on my dahlias! ♬

♩ type this: & #9833; WITHOUT the space between '&' and '#9833;'
♪ - & #9834; Without the space
♫ - & #9835;
♬ - & #9836;

Thumbnail by Tex68

Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #7812304

He-he! Bought a flat of 24 mixed Figaro dahlias for $16.99.

Thumbnail by Tex68

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2010
5:31 AM

Post #7812908

Great color on that one, Tex.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 21, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #7813204

Very prettiful Tex!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2010
8:45 AM

Post #7813505

How tall does that mix get tex?
rj
edewitt
Boise, ID

May 21, 2010
10:58 AM

Post #7813972

Not that I haven't advertised enough for a bunch of Dahlia suppliers around here but right now Swan Island has a deal going if you're wanting to pick up some last minute tubers 30% off of your order (not including shipping) if you use the coupon code "Hurry30".

It was very difficult for me to not order anything. I really wanted to get Iceberg and Junkyard Dog (I have this tuber but it appears to have no produced an eye after a few months).

This message was edited May 21, 2010 11:00 AM
Tex68
Long Branch, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2010
12:06 PM

Post #7814157

Rjuddharrison - about 10" to a foot I guess.

Edewitt - I got Junkyard Dog from Swan too. Planted it directly in the ground around April 15th. It is just now sprouting. I thought it was a goner too. Maybe it needs the warmth on the soil to sprout.

edewitt
Boise, ID

May 21, 2010
12:47 PM

Post #7814286

I got mine from a seller on ebay, Junkyard Dog and White Perfection are the two that won't develop eyes but all the other ones did. I think I may contact her soon just to give her a heads up, then we'll wait awhile longer to see if I just got some super sleepy tubers.
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2010
1:16 PM

Post #7814329

I was going to spread the word on the S.I. sale too- just finished ordering for what are reasonable prices with the 30% discount. Some white, some beautiful bluey-lavs I'm after, couple plums, a couple oranges and a bright pink.

This year I've only had one eyeless tuber from a vendor and that is being graciously replaced. Now if it would warm up about 30 degrees...
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #7814545

Yay-I just saw this in my email as well. I'm off to get some purpley-plums also. Oh, did I mention, we're chopping off the extra bedroom in the house and demo-ing to make room for all these I keep ordering and don't have room for? DH is gonna make me live in the shed soon.

"...that better not be another box of %&*@# tubers I saw on the porch today..."
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 21, 2010
3:30 PM

Post #7814645

Perhaps DH should move out to the treehouse so he won't be disturbed ^_^
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2010
4:29 PM

Post #7814766

Or: get a sleeper sofa, move into the livingroom, demo all bedrooms and enjoy an even bigger dahlia display. How about that?
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #7814839

Ooooo...I like those ideas. He told me to say he likes the thought of a treehouse. As long as I arrange to have it wired for internet/cable and put in a toilet and a fridge.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2010
4:51 PM

Post #7814848

I'm Jealous! those flowers are so spectacular
edewitt
Boise, ID

May 21, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #7815382

Well I got the last of my tuber orders earlier this week and sorted out the last of my tubers for friends I haven't had a chance to do anything with these guys. I'd like to plant them in my yard but after it being in the 80's last weekend it's dropped back down to the 50-60's this week and was pretty rainy a few days. Do you think my tubers will be fine semi-exposed like this until I can commit to putting them in the ground? I've got a few I got from Pleasant Valley Glads & Dahlias and a few from Poochella and I'm looking forward to all of them blooming.

In the picture starting from the front I have
Chilson's Pride
Hawaii
Master David
Spartacus
Hillcrest Kismet
Lady Darlene
Elma Elizabeth

This message was edited May 21, 2010 7:18 PM

Thumbnail by edewitt

queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7815422

No advice here, as I don't know much about them in cool weather. Just wanted to say nice progress-they look nice and healthy. What kind of container is that-I likey. Narrow and long, perfect for tuber starting.
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2010
11:13 PM

Post #7815966

I keep heaping potting mix on top of the sprouted tubers to encourage root development. You've got them nicely spaced there, so you should be able to buy some time without their roots getting all scrambled up which happens if left too crowded or too long in flats. I'd say they look good, but you could add some soil to cover the bodies a bit.
edewitt
Boise, ID

May 22, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #7816437

I probably should spread them out a little more then. It's only a 36" windowsill planter, my camera likes to make things look HUGE if I angle the camera right. I was hoping for more heat this weekend but the weather is failing me. I have all the pots with tubers that haven't sprouted through the soil in the garage with a space heater keeping the garage a little over 70 degrees all the other ones are outside freezing their tuber butts off in a nice covered spot on my porch. Looks like more rain today.
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #7816496

It's the usual lousy May striking again: pouring rain, 45. There will be no more planting til it dries out and warms up to at least 60! Wish I were in your garage!
edewitt
Boise, ID

May 22, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #7816565

I think when I started gardening last year it may have been the perfect time ever for starting to grow dahlias. I bought the dahlias around the beginning of May. I then dug up a chunk of my yard and planted them and then it was about 70-80 degrees all May with no rain and as soon as they sprouted and were nice and tall enough it started raining. I lucked out big time last year and I didn't even realize it until this year.

Roly0217

Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 22, 2010
9:17 AM

Post #7816753

Well here are some pictures of my pretties for 2010. I just got all of these bulbs this year and I'm sooo very happy with them. These are from Brent and Becky and they are starting to bud and bloom already being the first ones I bought.

This message was edited May 22, 2010 12:18 PM

Thumbnail by Roly0217

Roly0217

Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 22, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #7816765

Now here is the other side with the ones from Swan Island and they are all growing very happily too.

Thumbnail by Roly0217

Roly0217

Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 22, 2010
9:23 AM

Post #7816768

Now here is my first bloomer of the season. It's "Arabian Night" and I sure love it and the name goes accordingly.

Thumbnail by Roly0217

Roly0217

Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 22, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #7816799

Here is a better shot of it. The little dots on the petals are grass clippings because they did the lawn yesterday and I took the pictures before I watered this morning so they were still on.

This message was edited May 22, 2010 12:34 PM

Thumbnail by Roly0217

edewitt
Boise, ID

May 22, 2010
9:38 AM

Post #7816833

Very nice, Roly. You're gonna have to do me a favor and every once and awhile just sniff the air around those and see if they have a distinctive scent. I swear they do and I'm pretty sure some members of the forum think I'm crazy.
edewitt
Boise, ID

May 22, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7817375

How's this for progress? It was snowing outside for a few minutes. Hey Nature, stop that.
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 22, 2010
2:09 PM

Post #7817426

♪♫ There she is...Mingus To-o-oni♫♪

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #7817607

Nice collection Roly. You Floridians are just making me insanely jealous of zone. I want global warming and I want it now.

Edewitt, your weather makes me feel a tad better :) Glad it was a brief snow and not long lasting. No one thinks you're crazy regarding the possible scent of Arabian Night. Dahlia foliage has a very certain scent, that's for sure.

Oooh, Carrie- there she is Mingus Toni! Mine is about a 1/2" stub shivering in the greenhouse. Can't believe you have bloom photos already, you guys- what an incredibly long photo season we'll all have here. Hurray :)
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 22, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7818052

Annie-If it makes you feel better, around the time you are in your peak season, I will be stalled out. Just gets too hot for them to thrive. It all evens out.

Roly-yay, fellow Zone 10'er! Can I be nosey and ask if you're keeping all those pretty and healthy plants in their pots or moving them to the ground? What kind of sun (hours/time of day) are you dealing with?

Roly0217

Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 22, 2010
9:53 PM

Post #7818722

I'm keeping in the pots because if we move from this house I want to be able to take them with me. They get sun from about 10 am until sunset. I do water them early in the morning and if too hot later in the afternoon around 5 or so. I use a 17-17-17 time release fertlizer and also application of bone and blood meal every 3 weeks or so. Any more questions or suggestions just ask.
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 23, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #7819264

Okay, you asked for it! LOL. Have you done them in pots before, with that amount of sun? Just curious. I have a problem that the sun gets too strong for them is why I ask.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 23, 2010
7:50 AM

Post #7819424

Drooool FLians Droooool

Roly0217

Roly0217
Miami, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 23, 2010
8:04 AM

Post #7819450

I actually did them in the ground with less sun last year and they died for me. I had about 20 rhizomes and only 2 made it but didn't bloom so in my experience a pot and higher light seems to be working great for me. The leaves do get droppy but there's nothing that a good misting can't fix as long as I do it from 4 pm onwards they perk right back up. As you can see the results have been great so far so I'm sticking to the pots.
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 23, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #7819534

I had an issue with pots last year, so put 99% in the ground this year. I so wish I could mist them everyday-only 2 times per week, as if that somehow compensates lol. Funny how different things work for everyone. Whatever works and don't mess with a good thing, right?

Dnut, I sooo wish I could send you 10 - 15 degrees of sunshine. It's only 11:30 and I've had to take a break from the heat already.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #7819587

Send some here, too! I just had to come inside - it's cold out there and no sunshine.
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
9:26 AM

Post #7819628

I'd like 30 degrees and a huge umbrella to divert the steady rain or showers. 2.5 more inches in the past couple days, like we needed it. All planted dahlias are still standing tall , but they're not exactly bustin' forth with glee to be outside. It will be mostly indoor gardening for me today.

Roly, good to have more testimony that dahlias can be grown in your zone!

Carrie, is there a kindly retired/unemployed neighbor or reliable kid you could hire as Ms. or Mr. Mister a few days a week? Or barter a deal: bouquets for misting?
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 23, 2010
10:35 AM

Post #7819834

I'm mind-melding the sun and heat at you all.

Heheh-Mr. Mister. Not really any candidates that I could hire or barter with, honestly. Don't know any children of the right (responsible) age, nor any adults that don't work my same hours. I am planning on doing my shade cloth deal, so I hope that will take the place of misting. We shall see...
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

May 23, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #7820595

Thanks queeq ^_^ I shall send you cool mountain breezes in return. Planted perennials and mini roses today. Dahlias looked on with longing from the greenhouse. I will be able to haul them all out again tomorrow But tonight Jack is on the prowl
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
10:10 PM

Post #7821648

♪♪ Hit the road Jack... It's raining and cool here. Oh shock, get the camera. I planted bush beans a week ago only to learn the local veggie guru never plants those til June because they rot. Great. Cuke seeds said "Keep moist until sprouted." THAT I have accomplished :) Dahlias that have graduated from the greenhouse are logging more miles in and out of the garage daily than my car is putting on the road!

Yeah, Carrie it's almost impossible to find a responsible party with time on their hands to do anything 'garden', even if paid. I feel bad asking our wonderful neighbors to set a sprinkler on the perennial bed once or twice if we're gone for a few days. So you will come up with a shading scheme and it will work! And mulch, mulch, mulch...
todgor
West Caldwell, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2010
10:15 PM

Post #7821655

The song going through my head while I'm planting, sort of from the Beetles:

Kelp, I need some seaweed
Kelp, not just any seaweed...

Yes, I'm using kelp! :)
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #7822141

These guys need staked up don't they? The keep growing but are starting to fall over.
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #7822322

LOL Kelp song.

YES rjudd, for most all 3' or taller a stake and tying is highly recommended. If they aren't too tall yet, inverted tomato cages work well too. You won't regret the effort and your plants will stay upright.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2010
10:37 AM

Post #7822934

Okay, they are starting to flop, so will stake them. I should have figured that one out, at Buchart Gardens they were taller than I am!
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 24, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #7823852

Tod-haha, kelp, good one! I'm trying to expand on the lyrics, related to dahlias/garden and I just can't think..."won't you please, please kelp me..." How do you use it? Is it in a fish emulsion type compound, or? Do you use it on your dahlias?

Annie-thank you for your confidence. Yes, I am on my third mulching. To conserve, I don't do the whole bed so much as I do a
12"-ish radius around each dahlia. I am either going to do something similar to your suggestion (other forum) with the half hoops of PVC or rig something where the shade cloth is like a tarp with grommets for me to do a hooky-hoo somehow.
Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7824271

Grommets: like pull out from the fencetop to posts with hooky hoos to cover the dahlia bed like a pull-out tent awning. Should have been an engineer! I swapped dahlias for gorgeous tomato plants today so now I have to craft a covering to give them some heat and the best chance for producing delicious BLT ingredients.
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 24, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #7824304

[quote="Poochella"]best chance for producing delicious BLT ingredients.[/quote]

Zomg! LOL

Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #7824668

It's the flavor and dahlia fiesta wagon a la DG's eweed, exceptional tomato grower, dahlia aficionado and all round nice guy. Thanks to Ernie and wife Linda, we have had tomatoes with actual flavor!
http://davesgarden.com/tools/mail/pmailpic.php?pid=2197764
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 25, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #7827135

Annie-your penchant for prose gets me every time. I hope you do creative writing-if not, start missy-lol!

Here's Vista Lindsey's pup tent I threw over her this morning. Only works because she's not past the stake yet. Doh!

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

Poochella
Issaquah, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
10:32 PM

Post #7828387

She looks like The Widow Vista Lindsey sporting a mourning veil! "Alas, too sunny..." That cover should help. I think you're going to be one of those regulation height dahlia growers instead of the 6-8 footers Tod and I grow for our lack of sun.

I took creative writing classes years ago and got decent feedback like "You sounds just like yourself!" Duh. Then family and work took over. When my knees give out, I might get back to it if my mind holds up. That's up for debate right now.

Here's just one part of the Vista Lindsey's originator's former farm- a covered shelter, but I'm not sure if it was meant for shading or heat retention. They had plenty of sun and even more dahlias! It was ablaze with color as you see, but, for the life of me, I couldn't find a pathway through there- too many flowers! My jaw was sore for days from gaping.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/poochella/2007%20New%20Dahlias/Trip%20to%20Whatcom/WhatcomJeanHUnderShade.jpg
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #7828721

Quite an amazing sight!
queequeg_1
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 26, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #7829019

...uuhhh... Talk about wanting to make dirt angels...now there's a place I could hide and live in harmony amongst the dahlias and no one would know. Where is that, or better, who is the creator of Vista Lindsey and what happened (former farm)?

VLs mourning veil is working, actually. She's opened more today and perkier than she had been. I was worried she was going to wilt away before she opened to her full puffy LC glory. I am going to HD today to either find what I need for my mad invention or decide to order it online.
http://www.shadeclothstore.com/products/shadecloth30__knittedshadecloth.html

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Dahlias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dahliettas, gallery dahlias, jackpot dahlias Lenjo 12 Mar 7, 2013 6:27 PM
Dahlias and black walnut hart 17 May 16, 2008 10:37 PM
Will the real Edinburgh please stand up? mvespa 19 Apr 17, 2007 8:44 AM
NO H20 - Candy says "Hi!" Please say Hi back Poochella 11 Oct 12, 2009 12:13 AM
Do ya really really have to dig them? WayehMalamutes 18 Apr 14, 2008 6:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America