Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Post your progress! 2010 Edition Part Deux

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

To continue edewitt's original post that had 111 replies (wow)...was taking too long for my pc to load the page!
Spent all day weeding, tying up and cutting several layers of lower leaves...and I still only got 2/3 of the way done! I hate how skinny cutting off the lower leaves makes them look, but it's so much more helpful having them gone lol. I had to take several breaks today as it was very close to 90 degrees all day long. Which is why I wanted to cut all those leaves-if it's this bloody hot already, they're going to need as much air flow as possible. I'm also going to need to add about 4" more mulch, but didn't make it that far. Anyone ever use the flat, green/clearish tape for tying off? Just curious if anyone likes it, as I really don't. Got it on clearance and thought I'd try it. And I see several plants with baby buds on them, yay!

Thumbnail by queequeg_1
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Good job!

We're here wearing our winter clothes and you're sweating. Seems like we'd each be happy sharing some of our weather.

I use telephone cord (from a garage sale) to tie up the dahlias and it can't be seen when they have their leaves. It's also used over and over again. Not bad - $2.00 for a huge reel of it and it's so easy to cut with a scissors and very strong.

Yes! I would LOOOVE a bit of a weather blend! Can we swap 15 degrees?
Telephone cord, huh? Cool. I'm surprised you can cut it with scissors, but I've never tried. Just assumed there was some tough copper wiring inside. Even cooler is the price! I usually use regular twine and even that's $3-ish for approx. 250'.
That green tape is too cumbersome. I'm usually in some weird position, trying to tie it off but, because it's flat, it's hard to get a knot into it...

I've tried the green twist tie stuff, the fabric type of tape used for tomatoes, string, twine, nylons and so far the telephone cord is the winner.

I would love 15 degrees warmer!

clinton, MI(Zone 5b)

I decided to start all of my dahlias in the greenhouse this year. I plan on planting in the garden at the end of May.

Here's a link to a recent photo of the greenhouse... 450 dahlias and 105 calla lilies.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50697352@N00/4596282665/

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

And you got roses in there too? Dang! How big is your garden? 450 dahlias! Are you a grower/seller? LOL!
Too many questions!
I ordered some newer varieties of calla lilies too and planted them corms/bulbs over a month ago in the garden and in pots. I thought they got rotten. I didn't realize it takes them forever to sprout. They just started sprouting out of the ground.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Looks good, Carrie. I've brought up a few flats and pots to harden off in the garage and will begin planting today. I didn't like the wider ~5/8" green tape, but the narrower version works well for me. I have 6000 ft of white bailing twine to use up somehow LOL- hated the 'stringing it in rows method,' kept forgetting it was there and trying to walk through it. Perhaps someone could knit a giant weatherproof shawl for the Statue of Liberty?

fdr, your greenhouse is a marvelous sight. A gardener's playhouse!

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Heh, I will coin the term "greenhouse envy"! Quite an amazing setup, fdr.

Uhhhmmm... I second that greenhouse envy! Awesome!

Annie-I wondered how you made out in your warmer, drier weather this past weekend. Yay for you getting to plant today! From what I've seen of what you have started, your plants are already off to a plump, healthy start. I think I expressed my sprout envy a few weeks ago. I'm too bumble-fingered for anything smaller than twine, I think. Maybe you could donate your twine here...

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/8543

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Queequeg, what is the benefit of removing those lower leaves?

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Wait a minute! The World's Largest Ball of Twine is in MN! I have inlaws in that vicinity and I daresay the twine ball is the only attraction in that little town. They sent us a DVD of it LOL (Undoubtedly not carried by Netflix, and no, we haven't watched it yet.) Looks like there's some debate over the location of the biggest ball of cast-off string and such.
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2128

It is glorious here now that it's over 40 and not raining- 75 to be exact and not a cloud in the sky- FINALLY!!! Weekend should be nice too, so progress will be made. Mostly I'm digging holes to let them warm and aerate, hauling and working in compost and setting out stakes. So far, there are... drumroll...12 in the ground! Quite a ways to go. Every year I swear I'm going to be more organized with colors/heights, but every year the 3-footers leap ahead of the 5-footers in pots/trays and my plans are then cast aside. Or there's room left in a flat of yellows so in go some purples... they'll get sorted out some year. Maybe. Back to work I go..

LOL---Wow, what some people do as a hobby. (Not you-the twine roller) And another wow that you have a DVD about it!

12 sounds like progress to me! Oooo-a lone purple in a sea of yellow sounds beautiful.

Gemini-sage...cutting the lower leaves allows more air flow through them. Important if you're in humid climates, or if you've squeezed a lot into a smaller space, or there's not great air flow in the area. All three of those describe me, so you bet I hacked and hacked those leaves to pieces.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Ok, good to know I'm not messing up there, LOL. I typically have them dotted throughout the gardens rather than all together, although I do need to be watchful about crowding them with other plants. We do have humid summers, but I live on a hill and get a pretty constant breeze, when its not downright windy.

Boise, ID

I was so close to having 100 regular dahlias in the pictures and that's not including the dahliettas in the bottom right hand side. The first three rows are the dahlias that have sprouts poking through the soil so far.

Thumbnail by edewitt

Wow! I'm very impressed. You only became interested in them last year, right?

Amazing progress!

Boise, ID

Sadly, yes. I've got more on the way as well. The week before last I ordered Alfred Grille, Elma Elizabeth, Hillcrest Kismet, Lady Darlene, Master David, and Spartacus. I swear I'd better have an over abundance of tubers by the end of the season. Digging, dividing, and storing these is going to be a pain come Oct./Nov.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My latest progress

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

TOTALLY JUST KIDDIN! But what an awesome gift from a friend! Notice the whale vase which I can use for blooms all summer? Did I mention that I'm all misty about this gift?

You had me there for a minute!

I hope to be planting tubers by next week. Some are over a foot tall down in the basement and under lights. Others have just begun to sprout and a few are sound asleep but not snoring, most thankfully.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7a)

Some of my dahlias are poking through the ground, just.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I love the whale vase and the flower adorning it. A treasured thing for many future flowers.

Planting is now well underway and I know I should be cramming them in closer together than I am. Intermittent showers are so annoying: should one stop or just stay put and suffer through them? More time was wasted today going in and out of the house or garage than actually digging and planting. There are plants ranging from invisible (tubers underground) to foot tall and bustin' forth. One has already been broken off at the tuber with a mysterious big dog print near the broken stalk. I hate it when that happens.

ED: may I recommend extra strength Tylenol as a pre-medication for all the digging you will be doing? You're going to have a beautiful yard!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday, Dahlianut! May your day be filled with sprouting tubers!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I fell in love with Dahlias last September when I went to Buchart gardens, unfortunately it's too hot here for a lot of them, but a member sent me a few bulbs who thought they would do well here, and have the first bloom this morning.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Boise, ID

What in the cuss is that? It seems to have formed around one eye. There are a couple of other eyes on it. Should I chop off the infected area and pot it? I'd hate to lose Drummer Boy before he gets a chance to bloom. :-(

Thumbnail by edewitt

Quote from Poochella :

One has already been broken off at the tuber with a mysterious big dog print near the broken stalk. I hate it when that happens.

Ohhh...side hurts from laughing. Sorry, Annie. It's not funny that this happened, but just the way you describe it.

Ed-what the heck is that? It looks a little familiar but can't remember...it's not gall is it?

Rjudd-Yay! You win the first to bloom award! It looks purdy-do you know what the name is?

Pirl, Annie, Ed, Dnut, et al. who are starting the 1'+ plants...do you have down time where they're all wilty and sad when transplanting them and they are well established? Or is it not a problem if you harden off properly?

Best bet is generally to plant them when we're due for a few days of overcast weather or even rain. If the sun insists on shining they can be covered with damp newspapers, taken off at sundown or thereabouts.

That's ugly looking stuff, Ed. Can you use a knife to cut the uglies off and then use a fungal powder or Lysol and allow the tuber to dry before planting? We'll see what Annie says.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Dear Queeq you have hot and I have cold but methinks the shock is the same. They will be shocky if you transplant into different conditions; tis a given. There can be a 'wilty' time if you don't expose them to your outside temps before you plant out. Sometime even when I do that though they do droop. I think it's all about " O this is different. Maybe I should go dormant and pout about it" It's think it's just a bad hair day. Also I find that singing helps ^_^

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Congratulations on the first sunny bloom Rjudd.

Yeah, funny Pirl. I don't get upset about it, I just took the two broken off stalks, whipped off lower leaves and stuck them in the hole to see if they will root or not.

Eric, that ugliness is either eye fasciation or crown gall, but the ADS site photo of crown gall looks a lot less creepy. It looks like you could cut off that whole stem with the affected part and let the other eye showing do the growing. Might be a good candidate for a pot. I had this one below one year and it grew fine in a pot. I didn't save the tubers from it though that year.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/poochella/Dahlia%20Lessons/eyefasciation407Small.jpg

Maybe use google to check out those two things and what to do about them, or contact the seller for their input?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't know the name. I got a box full of mixed bulbs, sort of a grab bag of ones thought would do well here.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I forgot the wilty transplant question-mine get just 3 days hardening off out of the greenhouse, then put a couple handfuls of the starter mix they're used to (those in flats) into the hole, cover the roots with another handful of same, cover shallowly with garden soil, and water the root area lightly to modestly with B1 transplant solution depending on the root mass formed. The plants are standing upright and unstressed except the one with the huge dog print by it. Our temps have cooled off 10 degrees this week, so that's helping too.

Do you have the dahlias really well mulched by now? I think they'd appreciate it in your heat.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Your right, have been meaning to mulch. I planted mine in the back garden in part sun, which seemed to make them happy. I'm astonished how quickly these guys grow. I planted the bulbs directly 2 months ago, and they are averaging 2 feet at the moment, except 1, which I think might be a smaller type. I hope they multiply!

Quote from dahlianut :
It's think it's just a bad hair day. Also I find that singing helps ^_^

Owww...laughed so hard, coffee came out of my nose...NOT okay. lol.

Thanks for all the ideas. I was mostly curious about transplanting. I've never had to do it when they're that big.

Today is the day I re-mulch. I did once already, but I can tell I need more. It's getting so hot mid-day now, they look pathetic for a few hours. Found a plant with spider mites on one plant the other day. Just a few, so I didn't rip it up-hope I don't regret that. I just Bayer 3-in-1'd the heck out of it and all the others, too. I had been doing Malathion preventatively, but either it wasn't enough or I missed that plant, or something. I swear, I am going to go Rambo on those plants if I get the infestation I did last year. I'm out there every day, looking at the undersides of leaves, looking in nooks and crannys, etc. Grrr....evil, evil I hate them with all my might.

On the plus side, I have blooms beginning to open, but I want them to just hurry up!
Mingus Toni

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

Don't you remember..."You can't hurry love"?

..."How long must I wait?" Lol-how do folks insert those muscial note characters on here?

On an off-topic, but related to 'progress', I guess-was there conversation on how long it takes a seed to form a tuber? I think I remember talk/debate about it but can't find it now. I think it was in one of the 100+ reply threads lol.
Anyhoo, I had to pull up some Unwins (Annie gets paw prints next to broken stalks. I get browning plants with dog pee.) and found the babiest beginnings of tubers. Planted in March, so 2 months. Amazing little buggers.

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

"It's a game of give and take" - one leaves footprints and the other leaves a different type of love mark.

Those Unwins are fast growers!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

oops sorry about the coffee Queeq. I have EXCITING new progress to report. I found a luvly Mystery day tuber with a sproutling at a garden centre which is very exciting cuz it was the first dahlia I ever grew here and I lost it in the October flash freeze last year and was very sad. Also I bought a luvly new border dahlia Grande Papagaya. Grow_Jo got it too.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

oops sideways before

Thumbnail by dahlianut

That's stunning.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Glowing and stunning! Glad you found a replacement for Mystery Day.

Carrie did you toss the Unwin's baby tubers? It would be fun to see what happened if you broke off the dog, um, fertilizer stained foliage and replanted the tubers. Might not be mature enough to produce more growth, I don't know. I'm often watching the dogs approach a garden bed while yelling, don't pee on my (insert plant name here!) Followed by "ohhh :( my (insert plant name here.)"

Music notes hit- alt 13, alt 14 will sometimes produce two connected notes, or kick you off the page on my computer. ♪♪

Hmmm...tried it-nuthin. ♪ ooo it worked. I used the top number, not the side numbers. ♪♪♪♪♪♫♫♫weee♫♫♦☼♠♣☻♥♠♦○♪♪♪♪♪☺♫♫♫♫♫ Only when you let go do you get the symbol. Wee-I love fun new stuff. I'm sure I'll forget how soon enough.
Thanks, Annie.
Yes, I replanted the peepee plant only because it only had a few lower leaves that were browned with, err, "love". So, it might be okay. Honestly, I have so many Unwins, I didn't so much care if I lost some, but the tubers were just too darn cute to lose.

Dnut-yay for your cutie-pie Papagaya AND finding Mystery Day. It was one of my very first ones, also. I lost it and miss it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.