Photo by Melody

Weather: May weather, something other than cold & rain.

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 311, Views: 1,384
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 12, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #7787948

Let's do a new thread & look for nicer weather, more May like.
Bernie

We came from:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1093173/

This message was edited May 12, 2010 7:36 PM
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #7787970

Just finished watering - almost dark, timed it just right, no evaporation from direct sunlight. goodnight to all and to all a goodnight!
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 12, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7787982

Thanks for the new thread, Bernie. I guess I was writing while you opened this one so closed out the old one with my evening report.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 12, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #7788263

I took the liberty of transferring your post.

"am disappointed that we did not get rain here today, though the radar at a couple of points looked like we should. "Ground truth" said not a drop. It was muggy, and I thought had gone into the 80s, but the MMTS [max/min temperature sensor] that is my official NWS reporting device says it got only to 79.4. There were some ugly storms with up to a couple of inches of rain in northern KY. My rhododendron is past its peak but still colorful."
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7788439

Well we got about 1 1/2" of rain.
Thunder stopped about noon.
I did get out and do a few things in the yard.
Top dressing w/ manure and a bit of weeding.
Mostly I just tracked down tools and started getting the Workshop organized.
We all the projects we've done in the last year there are tools everywhere.
Plus all the tool bags and boxes are mixed up.
Many time we spend more time hunting than projecting it seems...lol!

T-Storms are mentioned in the forecast for the next 2 days.
W/ a high projected at 86 tomorrow... they definitely will hit somewhere.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2010
4:23 AM

Post #7788929

47 and it's raining, been raining all night, and we had some bright lightning around 9:00 pm last night. There is more to come from the south. All my plastic chairs are blown over, but it's balmy this morning! I think we have a change in the weather!!

((((Big hug back Marylyn!)))) Aawww, how cute! I'm sorry all of you have a cold now. Maybe the soup will help. Smiling over sleeping in the car. I'll bet she really looks forward to the camp. Don't forget to pack kleenexes!

Bernie, my box of glads and sack of 4 O'clock tubers are still sitting in the garage. That's too bad about the beans. I hope this isn't going to be the weather pattern of the future.

Pepper, love the purple iris!

Dyson, hope the watering wasn't too big of a job.

Sunfarm, how long can you go without watering the new bridge if there's no rain? Nice pink color on the Rhodie!

Bernie, I'm with you! May had been a disappointment so far, except for plenty of rain :o)

Ric, I love putting things away when there's a place for them! I have no idea how much rain we're going to end up with. I didn't dump the 6/10'' yet, so it will be a continuing total. I see over an inch right now and more is on the way.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7789095

The bridge deck should be fine, as it is over 5" thick and will retain some of its moisture.The humidity is high and we are expecting more rain tomorrow, Cement hydration is a chemical reaction that requires water for the cement in the concrete to continue to gain strength. If people let their concrete dry out, they are wasting as much as a third of its potential strength. The first week is the most important, as the concrete reaches about 2/3 to 3/4 of its strength in that time. In the old days contractors used to keep concrete wet for a week. That was a good practice, but labor intensive. Nowadays they put a "curing compound" barrier film (usually sprayed on after the final finishing) on that prevents escape of the moisture from the concrete. Knowing it was expected to rain, I didn't want to do that with the bridge deck. Concrete technology "lesson of th day."
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 13, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #7789347

40*F breezy/w patchy blue sky.
sunfarm~seems the bridge will be ready for use very soon-loved the lesson:)) can never not learn something new everyday...
ric~won't that be great to be more organized. I know I seem to "think" better if items are mostly where they belong and easily accessible. DH and I share a bit of glass space-our glass is different and it's important not to get them mixed up-we're doing pretty well, so far:) He uses stained glass and I use fusing glass.
Dyson~hope you have a good day and are feeling fine.
CG~thanks for the new thread~too bad you'll need to replant some crops.
bp~my gson's friends in Iowa, had hoped he'd see a tornado~I'm glad he didn't; not only for his sake, but all others, too. As I mentioned, he was amazed the lightning. It doesn't happen often here, and as he said, nothing at all like down there.
Marylyn~have fun; hope you're better, too.
Strawberries popping up now.
Couldn't not be part of this wonderful group, so I've renewed my sub. Will have to figure time management more efficiently:))

This message was edited May 13, 2010 6:27 AM

Thumbnail by kiska
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2010
8:40 AM

Post #7789580

So glad you'll be sticking around, Kiska!!! We would miss you. Give Frank a hug from me.

So much to catch up on. Thanks for the new thread, bridges being built, an education on concrete, and...Darrell says thanks for the car!!!

50.1 F with 58 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 52%
Dew Point: 33 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the East
Wind Gust: 7.0 mph
Pressure: 30.08 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4500 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

CA poppies.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 13, 2010
9:59 AM

Post #7789860

Bummer about the beans, Bernie. :-( Nothing beats fresh, homegrown beans. Nope, note even tomatoes.

[quote]Concrete technology "lesson of th day."[/quote] I can relate. I was a metallurgical engineer. DH still is.

Marylyn, have you ever tried Airborne for colds? I find it helps sometimes. Rite Aid sells their own store brand that costs less. I've not tried it, but for anything else I've tried, the Rite Aid brand works as well as the name brand.

Great irises, Pepper!

[quote]Will have to figure time management more efficiently:))[/quote] What works for me is to not post on both sites every day. I tend to read both every day and thus something might get forgotten before I post, but that's the way it will have to go. Sometimes (like now) I will just check into a site and leave some comments, but not post my weather or much about what is going on here.

epiphyllum "Sunset Boulevard"

Thumbnail by Kelli

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2010
10:41 AM

Post #7789957

Sunfarm, we pulled off the highway this morning to wash some sort of oil drops off the windshield. While we were there we drove farther and had a peek at the creek. We had to cross a small bridge like yours, and I thought, "I know how they made it!" The lessons have been fun!

Kiska, a peek at the sun and 40 is a good way to start the day. I'm like you, I can't work in clutter. There were plenty of examples of tornados on the news for him to see. I hope to never see one in person either. Too bad he didn't see a dust devil. They're pretty cool. We saw 4 turkeys on the way, and on the way home from town this morning and I thought of him :o) I'm glad you'll be staying! It is hard to split the time up, but check in here and check in there. It works if you don't get too many threads going! Nice new strawberry plants!

Celia, he's welcome! He can gaze at it while his is repaired. Love the leaves on the poppy, besides the bloom.

Wow Kelli, that's quite a job! Your cactus is really going to be full when they are all open! Very pretty!

The rain quit this morning and never returned. I hope to see the sun later, and we have gnats already :o( 68 and cloudy.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 13, 2010
10:55 AM

Post #7789989

So the moisture from the Gulf is now full of oil ? I thought it would take longer than that.
Maybe the tornadoes the other night sucked the oil into the clouds.
I haven't noticed oily rain here yet.

It is actually getting brighter out. Maybe some sun this afternoon.

Heading for market shortly.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #7790025

LOL, Bernie! I never thought about that! The truck hasn't been out of the garage in a week. We have no idea what it is. DH is always pointing out the wax stuff he gets on the windshield from the car wash. He hates to use them, but wants to get the salt off in the winter. We were wondering if we're breathing whatever it is.

Hope it's a good market day!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 13, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #7790562

Thanks, kelli/bp, for a method of being in 2 places at once:) Sounds do-able.
My gson is coming over this afternoon for lemon meringue pie-I'll let him know there's a friend in Iowa who thought of him/turkeys. He was also impressed w/farm houses he saw. It was all so new and different for him and I'm glad he enjoyed the area and seeing new things. He is our 2nd oldest, of our 9 gdkids. My oldest is 20 and has been married for a year and a half. They've recently moved down to Washington state, and are also loving the new things to see and do.
Frank is resting and recovery is going very well.
Very windy but sunny.
52*F

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 13, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #7790572

Hi everyone!Just a quick note...I had to finish an article for DG and Terry asked me to put some footnotes , so I had to do some research because I forgot where I saw the info about which I had to do the footnotes...grrr!
It's raining cats and dogs here with thunders and lightnings, the wind is blowing so hard...a real storm!
Lucky they managed to finish our road. Here is a picture I took a few days ago when they brought the second batch of gravel.
Waving to all! I'll try to catch up tomorrow.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2010
5:10 PM

Post #7790917

Adina, I'm beginning to think this is the road and bridge construction forum. We could use some of that gravel for our washed-out road.

It got to 86 here today; very muggy, but no rain. Hope we get some tomorrow to help the bridge.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #7790979

Coolish and wet today. Lots of flooding in the area and for most of the morning we had a drizzle. So it was a miserable morning. This afternoon we finally reached the high 50s and the sun tried to peek out but mostly failed.

Another iris blooming. I think this one is my favorite due to all the colors.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2010
6:25 PM

Post #7791147

Adina here we call those Speed Bumps! lol!

Beautiful Blooms Kelli!
I just can't get them to bloom.
Trying harder this year.

Hot and Humid today!
84 in early/mid May is crazy!
We might get some more T-Storms tomorrow.
KY is having warnings now..

Ran out of wood but here's the start of our new siding design.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 13, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #7791274

Finally clearing off. Nice strong west wind with the clearing. COLD!

I got to get plants ready for RU tomorrow. Just going for the day so more plants, no suitcases!

Iris blooming, "Sunshine Boy". Came from wandaflowers in Cedar Rapids, IA.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 13, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7791278

Maybe the picture would help. LOL!

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #7791311

Oooo, nice!

Today was nicer than I thought it would be. A small sprinkling of rain and no. more. The sun is shining now. 61

'Batik' iris almost ready.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #7791547

For those of you interested, I posted a narrative of my trip to Vernal.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1096862/

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2010
4:18 AM

Post #7791740

46 and we need to run the furnace just to take the chill off. I see a clear sky and the rain is all to the south. The total in the guega for this last storm was 1-6/10''. I'd say we've had our share of rain.

Kiska, I love lemon merangue. I had egg whites left over from the rhubarb custard pie, so I made a white cake. I forgot how far into Iowa he got. I love old farm houses and barns. Soon there won't be many of either left. Good for Frank!

Adina, I've learned to take notes on where I've seen something, because I can never find it again. Luckily you found your info :o) I love how they drop gravel piles to blade out. We have big trucks drive slowly as they dump, trying to spread evenly.

Sunfarm, you probably didn't think anyone would be interested when you first mentioned it :o) Now I've learned how to construct concrete AND log bridges! Is it more correct to say cement or concrete? I grew up with the word cement. I can't believe all the gravel in ditches after a winters worth of snow blading. What a waste!

Pepper, our sun failed yesterday too. (I like how you put that.) Neat iris!

Wow Ric, wood siding, very nice!

Bernie, he's the only bit of sunshine out there, but he's pretty and bright!

Oh Celia, my heart is so full right now. Your story is the most beautiful I've ever read! I'm going to try and keep this feeling for a while.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2010
4:53 AM

Post #7791788

BP, you just opened the door for one of my "standard lectures". Many people get confused about the difference between cement and concrete, sometimes using them incorrectly. I cringe when I hear supposed "experts" such as on HGTV or DIY use them incorrectly. Here's the correct info and an easy way to remember:
Cement is the gray powder that makes concrete [or mortar or grout] get hard. There is no such thing as a "cement mixer"-- the big trucks are concrete mixers. If you didn't have cement in the concrete you'd just have a mess of wet sand and rocks!

Think of concrete as being like food. It is made up of different ingredients--sand, stone (crushed stone or gravel), water, cement, and maybe some chemicals for particular purposes such as making it set faster or slower, flow better, or be durable in freezing and thawing weather. If you don;t get the proportions right, you might get something different from what you intended--such as pancake batter instead of muffin batter.

Continuing the food analogy: cement is to concrete as gelatin is to jello. If you don't have cement in the concrete you'd have the mess of wet rocks and sand. If you don't have gelatin in your jello you'd have kool aid!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #7791825

Thank you Sunfarm! I won't misuse the word again! Especially since our new driveway will be concrete, in June ;o) Now I see even more humor in The Beverly Hillbillies "cement pond," LOL!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 14, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #7791866

Sunshine! But cold westerly wind.
43 going to 65

Outside at 6 AM. Lots to do today.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7791970

An easy way is to think of Cement as Glue.
I grew up using Model Cement.
The Cement glues the rocks, sand, etc together. (not exactly accurate but...)
Think of Concrete think solid. It's a Concrete Fact. It's written in Concrete.

Humid 73% and 71 here. That was the low...
We'll hit upper 70's and possible T-Storms.
Looks like a line of storms is building out of TX.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2010
7:22 AM

Post #7792127

Good analogies, Ric. Actually the cement used in most concrete is properly called "Portland" cement, as the stuff made with it resembled stone from Portland, England. Most builders and contractors just call it cement.

Cloudy and muggy again. Hope we get some rain as forecast for this afternoon and tonight. Hope it clears by morning for our herb club's plant and bake sale as well as other weekend activities.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 14, 2010
9:24 AM

Post #7792377

I grew up with the wrong usage of cement and concrete, too, though I have corrected myself in recent years. Growing up, my parents had a "cement" driveway. Here I have a concrete driveway. Cement is just one ingredient in concrete, so calling driveways, etc "cement" would be like calling bread "flour".

I pronounce it "suh-ment", like any good Yankee. DH calls it "see-ment" and I tease him about that. He's from TX with MO roots.

I didn't know what the Portland was about in Portland cement. It thought it might have something to do with the town in Oregon.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 14, 2010
9:52 AM

Post #7792448

43*F~overcast/breezy
"See-ment" is how I've always heard it pronounced; nice learning more about the differences and different way of pronouncing it.
hi all~
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2010
12:26 PM

Post #7792763

See-ment seems to be a mostly southern thing. That's what I have gotten used to since working with it in Kentucky since the '70s.

Radar is showing lines of thunderstorms both north and south of us, but it is just muggy and partly cloudy here so far, with temperature in the low 80s.

Blackberries are bloomingl DD needs to weed her iris bed.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #7792936

Hot @ 86 a line of storm approaching, but I will be prepared to water if they do not materialize by dark.

Details for Friday, May 14 (Evening)
Evening: Isolated thunderstorms early, mainly cloudy overnight with a few showers. A few storms may be severe early. Low 64F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

* Still not raining @7:30 though the sky looks promising - if I do not see moisture by 7:45 I'll start hauling it.

This message was edited May 14, 2010 6:28 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2010
5:47 PM

Post #7793439

Perfect day here today. Hint of sun but not full sun so we didn't have to squint much today. lol. Not much of a breeze so we weren't cold and the temps were in the low 70s.

I ended up outside for most of the day today cleaning up after the storms. Had to hose of the sidewalk and parking lot plus water a few plants that weren't getting the rain. I spent the last hour inside catching up on paperwork and sacking. I call it my lazy day. LOL

Cardinal Wysznski clematis. Doesn't look like the pic on my tag but it's still pretty. Niobe which is next to it died this year so I'll have to replace it. I need to hit the nursery where I got cardinal.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 14, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7793690

See-ment and See-gars!
And of course the Crick runs under the Bridge.

Beautiful Pep!

Humid and over 80 here today.
Saw our first Bats and Lightning Bugs this evening.

Finally almost got a shot of our new grandbabies...
Not as cute as Celia's but...

Thumbnail by henryr10

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2010
3:17 AM

Post #7794130

Thunder storms rolled through right after the sun went down yesterday. Total precipitation yesterday less than a inch. good thing I watered - I think I will try to find some material to use for stakes for the tomato plants today, hoping they do well enough to need to be staked. - Also got to change the thermostat in my sister in laws Pontiac.

65 - Details for Saturday, May 15
A mix of clouds and sun. A stray afternoon thunderstorm is possible. High 87F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Evening: Partly cloudy with a slight chance of thunderstorms. Low around 60F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 30%.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2010
3:53 AM

Post #7794160

Bernie, hope you got all your ''lots to do'' done.

Ric, that's a good way to remember!

Kelli, I believe DH has the corect pronunciation. See, being said fast, with the emphasis on MENT. (teasing :o)

Howdy Kiska!

Sunfarm, nice picture with the iris in the background!

Dyson, I hope you didn't have to water. Well, I guess you did. Good thing you did!

Pepper, lazy day, LOL! When I decide where to put another clematis, I think it's going to have to be a red one. Beautiful!

Ric, we have cricks and creeks here. I like the word crick :o) They are so cute!

It's 47 and a few clouds all over. They're pink with a little bruised purple look to them. It will be in the low 70's, partly sunny with a northeast breeze. It sounds like another day for wearing a coat. We have clouds of gnats now. I tried to sit out last night and it wasn't possible. I mowed yesterday and tried to take pictures in the breeze.

I had an iris bloom that I've never seen before. I was down at Dad's and he has it too. It either came with the iris we got from a lady, or Mom had it. I don't remember planting it and I did all her planting.

I love it!

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 15, 2010
4:03 AM

Post #7794176

Everything done & a couple things not on the list.
Leaving for Iowa shortly.
Beautiful day!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7794533

Cooler today and the humidity has broken...AHHHHHHHHHHHH...

Here's one of the Iris we got at an RU two years ago.
It will be moved and we are going to try to expand it's use in the landscape.

In the shade it's almost Black
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #7794577

Details for Saturday, May 15
A mix of clouds and sun. A stray afternoon thunderstorm is possible. High 86F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Evening: Partly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms possible. Low near 60F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 30%.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 15, 2010
8:26 AM

Post #7794703

May 15, 2010 Rise: Set:
Actual Time 5:05 AM AKDT 10:42 PM AKDT
Civil Twilight 3:52 AM AKDT 11:56 PM AKDT
Length Of Visible Light: 20h 03m
Length of Day 17h 36m
Tomorrow will be 5m 13s longer.
42* Blue sky w/patchy clouds.
ric~sounds just like the way we pronounce those words:))
bp~it's beautiful; the pastel shade of purple is gorgeous. Too bad you couldn't enjoy the evening for the gnats.
CG~have a good drive down~
Started making windchimes~

Thumbnail by kiska

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 15, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #7794753

Beautiful Jackie!
All your irises are gorgeous. I'll post mine too.
But first the weather : it's raining!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 15, 2010
8:43 AM

Post #7794757

Another color.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2010
11:18 AM

Post #7795059

Everything is really starting to look great all over the northern hemisphere.

70 for the high today. Almost that now.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 38%
Dew Point: 37 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the WNW
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 30.13 in (Falling)
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Few 5000 ft
Scattered Clouds 7000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Mau, I have forgotten what your upside down planter looks like. Here is mine. I haven't decided what I'm going to put in it.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2010
11:20 AM

Post #7795064

The first Iris is open. 'Batik'.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #7795070

BP, here is the Monarda you sent me. It's filling in daily.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2010
11:28 AM

Post #7795085

I shall have to post some iris picture closeups. They were here when we arrived, so I have no clue as to their names. The pictures several of you have posted are gorgeous.
Went to town for the herb club's plant sale, so the bridge is officially open to traffic!

Thumbnail by sunfarm

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2010
11:35 AM

Post #7795090

Woo hoo!!! Glad it's open now. Yes, we want to see your flowers.

The Yoshino cherry is about 11' tall now. Planted 2 years ago, it was then 6'.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #7795097

NOID Japanese Maple. Please ignore the bird poop. I forgot to clean it off. The Hosta is coming up, too.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #7795105

I have forgotten what this is. My SIL in OR sent it home with me when I went last Summer.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 15, 2010
11:45 AM

Post #7795112

Money Plant. This starting growing in the ignored gravel bed. I left it and Darrell wants to know when we can buy new cars with the money.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 15, 2010
4:46 PM

Post #7795666

Cold and wet. Temps never got out of the mid 50s and it rained and drizzled most of the day. Not a very nice day. lol

Baptisa Twilite Prarie Blues getting ready to bloom.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2010
5:51 PM

Post #7795842

Celia nice of your DSIL to send her weeds home w/ you! lol!

Love all the Iris!
I will hate them again in 3 weeks when they are done blooming... ;-)

Looks like the Bridge is open!
I would have put a Toll Booth there... (it's a KY thing! lol!)

Got a shot of feeding time.

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7795851

Well we got more trim done.
Slow go as we're making it up (and making it) on the fly.
But all the main design is done so it will go quickly from here on out.

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 15, 2010
6:03 PM

Post #7795883

I love specimen Hosta.
Especially the 'vase shaped' ones.
Nothing makes a statement like 'Krossa Royal'.
Here it is w/ it's parent 'Krossa Regal' to the left.
Probably 30" tall now.

Rain next 4 days...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 15, 2010
11:18 PM

Post #7796561

Ric, your garden looks great and the shelter too! Love your hosta! I think I will plant my fern in the garden too. What do you think?
Celia, I love your money plant!
Sally, hooray for the bridge! Can't wait to see your irises!
It's a wonderful day, but windy. 77F today.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2010
4:05 AM

Post #7796688

54 and it rained in the night with more to come. Good thing I dug some of the iris yesterday. The ground was just workable, and now, more rain.

We played outside with the boys all afternoon and early evening. Vanilla kept the gnats away pretty good.

I'll have to put my peat pots back in the garage or I won't be able to pick them up. So far nothing sprouted and I'm wondering if the seed is too old. It's also been a bit chilly for melons and squash.

Ric, it's a beautiful color! (Iris) I have a few favorites too, that I use here and there.

Kiska, I love the windchime! it's just like ice with color!

Adina, April showers bring May flowers. I always wonder what May showers brought :o) I love the blue iris's. Now that is a different white one. Is it more of a species? I like the green veins and the way it curls! Love the mushroom shot!

Celia, when your weather catches up, it really catches up! Love Batik! The Monarda looks great! It goes well with clear pink flowers. I have an accidental planting with Tree Mallow. The Cherry tree really grew! ROTFL!! It's hard to avoid the bird poop right now! No idea here either on what your no ID is. I have Sweet Rocket, but you get more bang from your buck (groan) with the Money plant. It has a lot more flowers!

Sunfarm, the bridge looks great!! It's off to town!!!

Pepper, I love Baptisia! Another picture when it's all open please :o)

Ric, great shot of the birds! It sure is a fantastic shed!! I have to agree with the vase shape. It's a beautiful Hosta!

Coral Reef Monarda I sent to Celia with Tree Mallow

Thumbnail by billyporter

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 16, 2010
5:48 AM

Post #7796856

Sally, ah, your garden looks amazing! Do you have a closer picture of the tree mallow? I "am" on the subject these days because I just wrote an article about the hollyhocks...BTW, it appeared today ...and I'll write another one about the little ones, the Malva mallows.
I'm not sure what species are those irises, but I'll make a research. I brought them from my other garden.
Posting another mushroom. They were in my lawn, very tiny...I had to lay in the grass to take those pics!LOL
The wind is blowing so hard I almost feel like Dorothy!LOL

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 16, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #7796876

Iowa RU was a success. Brought home a couple new Hostas.
DW won top door prize. A little angel that will be nice by the pond.

Sunny today, hope to get a lot done.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #7796919

Still not enough rain last night [0.41"] to wash mud off the vegetation in the area that flooded recently. I hope the forecast for more (but not too much) in the coming days holds true.
Here are some of the iris we got with the farm. These are all near the houses and sheds, but there are several beds up beyond the barn that really need thinning/dividing.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #7796920

52.5 F with 76 for the high. Yes, we have finally caught up with everyone. LOL
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 58%
Dew Point: 38 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the SSW
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 30.09 in (Rising)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Gotta run. Going plinking this morning after I plant some things...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7796928

Sunny is this the same Iris?
We're trying to ID it...

Celia Happy Plinking!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7796930

Thanks for the hibiscus & hollyhocks article, Adina. I have hibiscus just starting to come up but would really like some hollyhocks here. This old farmhouse seems to call for some in the yard.
Another iris.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2010
6:26 AM

Post #7796935

My Internet connection is so slow I can't seem to post consecutive pictures!

Thumbnail by sunfarm

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #7796940

Last iris for now, at least from this bed near DD's house.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #7796943

Oops! There was another that I had not posted.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2010
12:33 PM

Post #7797902

Nice irises! It's getting towards the end of the season here.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 11:51 AM PDT on May 16, 2010
71 F
Haze
Humidity: 53%
Dew Point: 53 F
Wind: 4 mph from the SE

pictures from Friday
farewell-to-spring or some other clarkia

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #7797906

silver puffs

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #7797911

I'm sure this trail is used every day but it hasn't stopped this section from getting all growed up with mustard. (Growed up? Yep, proper Pennsylvanianism for unruly growth.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 16, 2010
12:38 PM

Post #7797913

ladybug

Thumbnail by Kelli

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 16, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #7798223

TB Iris just starting to open here.

I've been planting Hostas this afternoon. If only I didn't have to remove weeds first!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 16, 2010
2:43 PM

Post #7798230

Little Angel is now at home by the pond.

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 16, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #7798323

55*F sunny and quite windy.
love the little angel/pond, CG.
bp~your flowers are so pretty.
adina~good job w/mushroom photo.
ric~the boardwalk looks great leading to the new building.
hi and have a great day.
son and family came over to uncover a portion of the garden and planted potatoes. Next week they'll do carrots, radishes, etc.

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #7798942

I can see the Moose in the background saying YUM! Taters! ;-)

Thanks on the Boardwalk/Workshop design.
We are maybe 2 weeks away from finishing the Boardwalk.
We wanted to finish all the major dirty projects first.
I will again sand it down then we will seal it w/ a deck varnish.
Robyn's thinking a transparent pecan stain.

Here's our newest addition to the Rabbit Garden. (between the HT and WS)

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #7798970

The Musk Rose is opening.
Friday there was one bloom, yesterday maybe a dozen, today 50 or so... by mid week...
hundreds and hundreds.

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7799013

High in the 50s with rain all day...again. Tomorrow morning rain some more then hopefully a break for 2 days then rain for 3 days. I have maple seedlings sprouting everywhere now but can't pull em due to all the rain. My gardens are starting to look a bit unruly in a few spots again.

Another iris blooming today. If it has a tag I didn't look due to the rain. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7799041

Rain just hit a steady pace about 2 hours ago here.
Gave us time to get the veggie garden in and some weeding done.

You have some NICE Iris there Pep!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #7799194

Thanks!! I've been very lucky know Norlan Henderson who manages the iris hill at Powell Gardens. He has certain sections thinned out every year so I've gotten most of them from him. Then my grandma has given me pretty much the rest except for about 12 I got from a co-op a few years ago. It would be nice if I could remember all the names!! LOL!!
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2010
1:19 AM

Post #7799668

Ric, I think your iris is pinker and brighter than mine, which is a more subdued bronze-y color. They are both beautiful.
Why did my cats think it was time for breakfast just 'cause I got up to take something for my aching knees and hips? Radar says rain is about to quit, at least for now. I hope! We have had enough for a while. Back to bed, at least for a few hours...

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2010
4:55 AM

Post #7799855

50 rain and it's chilly. Same old same old.

Adina, I'm sure I do. It's Tree Mallow - Lavatera thuringiaca. I got it in 2000. It re-seeds and you have to move them very early due to a long tap root. I love the clear pink color. It's perennial too. I need to take time and catch up on your articles and others. I seem to be busy all the time now. I adore Hollyhocks so I really want to read that article! LOL, Dorothy! Mushrooms always make a good picture.

Bernie, I'll bet DW was thrilled with the angel. She'll make a nice pond memory!

Sunfarm, I'm really starting to appreciate the old iris. Not all are flashy, but I like them. I have one similar, but a deeper antique rose.

Celia, what a neat planter! I'd like to see the whole thing. Nice hollyhocks! Have fun plinking! Now, what is plinking :o)

Oohhh Ric, very pretty pink iris!

Sunfarm, wow, we're getting an assortment of beautiful pink iris. I'll have to post my two no ID"s. Those are all pretty!

Kelli, I think we all need some Farewell To Spring. WOW on the Silver Puffs! I hope there are bees on all the Mustard. Isn't that a cute Ladybug!

Bernie, nice place for an iris bed! She's an adorable statue! How perfect!

Ric, your backyard transformation is almost complete and I love the new bunny! I'll bet the rose smells as good as it looks...sigh.

Oohhh Pepper, love the iris!

Sunfarm, same cats here LOL!

Kiska, a garden! How wonderful to see no snow! The kids look like they are enjoying themselves, LOL!

The boys go home this afternoon and one just got up.

Tree Mallow, showing bloom and seed capsules.

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #7799897

BP, plinking is target practice. It was fun. I have a Walther P22 handgun and it seems to have a problem. It wouldn't fire properly. Everyone had a chance to look at it and couldn't figure out what's wrong with it. I'm taking it to a gunsmith today. The Henry was wonderful to shoot. No kick, sights were perfect. Fifteen shot cluster within a 4 radius at 50yds.

55.1 F with 83 fro the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 43%
Dew Point: 33 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 1.0 mph
Pressure: 29.90 in (Steady)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 13000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
7:22 AM

Post #7800210

Celia was that prone?
If not that's extremely impressive.
Never had a rifle that I didn't have to sight adjust.
More impressive!

Yep the main bones are now done in the yard.
Tweaking will take years and never be done but it's FAR exceeded our original design.
We're having a few people come through later in the Summer.
They own 'tour' gardens.
I'm curious on their take of what we've done.
They are friends not Friends and will be brutally honest.
We were w/ them at their places and you can see a few of our critiques were cleaned up... ;-)
Big problem now is we need to start cataloging the plants and labeling better.
Have to find a Database program that fits!

Well despite what the title of this current Thread is it's cold and rainy here...lol!
Well Cool and...

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2010
8:03 AM

Post #7800322

Ric, I'm too shaky after a pot of coffee to hold a rifle steady. LOL So, yes, I had a support. I've had fragmented, pictorial tours of your gardens but I would love to walk it someday.

And that is supposed to say 4" radius. Darrell is the champion shooter in our family. He can get a tighter grouping and has won trophies, which he never keeps.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2010
8:41 AM

Post #7800449

I am surprised at how much rain we have had. There was 0.93" in the gauge at official obs time of 8AM, and it has been misting this morning since then. This is what we needed all last week on the concrete bridge deck, though it is still helpful for continuing strength gain. Planted the basils I got at the herb club sale Saturday. Still have peppers and some decorative succulents to do, but I don't want to get too wet and chilled.

Cherries are starting to blush. I have been pestering DH to find the old unsolicited AOL (remember them?)and other CDs we didn't need but saved somewhere. They should be good bird deterrents if we can get them up in time.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 17, 2010
9:33 AM

Post #7800613

38*F~blue sky/patchy clouds.
will check back later~
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7801967

Some sun between the clouds this afternoon, with temperature only reaching 72. There is a thunderstorm bearing down on us, but it does not look too widespread on the radar. A watch has been out since 3PM and is to end in an hour.
Here are some of the cherries.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7802056

Coolish and misty most of the day. Around 4pm it finally quit misting and the clouds broke up enough to see some blue skies but no sun. Temp went up too so I didn't need my sweater outside anymore.

Another iris that opened today. There's another one out there too that I haven't gotten yet. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 17, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #7802089

Ok, I went out and got a pic. It's not super clear because the camera's battery is almost dead but it's clear enough. This one has a tag but it's hard for me to read it.

Select Chance, Select Caroce? If anyone can nail this one I'd appreciate it!! LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #7802217

How about Iris 'Select Circle'?

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 17, 2010

Post #7802243

Great irises, Pepper

[quote]I hope there are bees on all the Mustard.[/quote]

Yes, there were. The bees also like the black sage.

We got rain for about two seconds around 5:30. Strange but true.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
6:32 PM

Post #7802272

Finally quit drizzling but we never broke 60.
Looks like more of the same for the next two days.

Our neighbor Gene gave us another Gazebo.
He bought a new one and needed it gone fast.
We'll be giving it to Jon and Teri... we have no more room...lol!

Picked up some more wood but it was too messy outside to break out the big saw.
So I made some shelves Robyn has needed for a while.
This of course means once again I won't know where anything is... lol!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 17, 2010
7:22 PM

Post #7802448

Beautiful day here. 79, sunshine, light wind from SE.

Changed out 2 windows in DD house. By the looks of the ones we took out, the rest will be changed also. 1938 until now is just to long. Lots of punky wood & no insulation. New ones will only cost them about $1500. They are making this house salable so they can move to the country on a hobby farm.

DS & hired help planted the second batch of glads. Then she did some weeding. I will have her here around 25 hours a week for a while. Then add hours later.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #7802531

Ours dated from 1930 and only two are still in good working order.
They are on the front porch which is glassed in so protected and insulation doesn't matter.
I agree the others were horrible and drafty!
Sounds like you are getting our weather from last week. ENJOY!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 17, 2010

Post #7802600

Love looking at all these beautiful Iris and flowers. It'll happen here, too, eventually.
A quick drive of about 20 miles today up to Hatcher Pass. It's not yet spring there. There is no green, but the river is flowing.

Thumbnail by kiska

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 17, 2010
8:06 PM

Post #7802622

We went to the Round Up only 115 miles south of us & it's surprising how far ahead their plants are compared to ours.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 18, 2010
3:52 AM

Post #7803213

Cloudy today, but it's a bit warmer and the wind doesn't blow that hard. 60F at noon.
Wow, Jackie, lots of snow there! Glad the kids were there to help.
Sally, thanks for the picture!Beautiful!
Ric, great addition to your garden!
Kelli, I have mustard on the field, lots of them! And doggies too!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2010
3:56 AM

Post #7803220

54 and cloudy. It's to be partly sunny and in the low 70's. We took the boys home yesterday and today I need to mow.

Celia, I see. You have a Henry?! I have too much nervous energy running thru me to hit anything, I'm impressed with both of you!! Gorgeous pink bloom!

Ric, it's nice to have friends who can tell you like it is and give good advice too.

Sunfarm, glad the bridge is still continuing to get strong. Laughing over using AOL CD's :o) Big YUM on the cherries!

Pepper, I think I have the yellow iris and love the purple ruffled one!

Kelli, mustard honey doesn't sound too bad, LOL! Rain, blink and you miss it!

Ric, LOL over the shelves. Gives away a gazebo, wow!

Bernie, not too bad on the windows. Glad you found someone to help weed for a while.

Kiska, ROTFL over you finding snow for your scenic drive :o) It does look nice because we've been without it for so long now.

Adina, I smiled over the doggie, but cracked up when I spotted the second one!!

Oh my, it's nice to be back!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2010
9:14 AM

Post #7804175

Kiska, you look like you're shoveling snow off the mountain!!! LOL

BP, yes, we just got 2 of them. A Frontier model and a Golden Boy.

52.0 F
Light Rain
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 45 F
Wind: 1.0 mph
Wind Gust: 8.0 mph
Pressure: 29.82 in (Rising)
Visibility: 9.0 miles
Clouds: Few 2000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 4600 ft
Overcast 6000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Since we had problems with the Walther P22, Darrell let me get another handgun. Ruger Mark III, .22 (this isn't it)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #7805520

Cloudy this morning but then the sun came out and the heat cranked up!! Everyone perked up and was in an excellent mood. LOL. Tomorrow though, a slow moving system will hit and dump 1-3 inches of rain.

Here is one of my iris beds. This is where majority of the irises I have are. In the upper left hand corner you will see more irises by the tree. I also have another bed to the left and below that tree. LOL. I'll try to get pics in the morning before the rain hits again of whole beds.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2010
6:07 PM

Post #7805583

Pepper that's filling in nicely!

Adina everyone over here knows you can't have Dogs w/o Mustard... well Hot Dogs...

Well the rain held off long enough for use to visit another DG'ers Garden.
She had some Siberian Iris she traded for the 'Pink' Bearded we have.
By the time we got home it was already 1:30...
We did get the front trim finished on the WS and Robyn started repairing some old furniture we had in the yard.
It will be painted up and used in displays or as plant stands.
Raining heavily about an hour ago.
Never broke 60...

Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 19, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7806496

Ric, LOL!
Sally, glad you had fun!
Pepper, beautiful iris bed!
Sun, your irises are amazing! Just saw some like yours in somebody's garden today.
It's getting warm, but last night we had to turn on the furnace, it was too cold in our bedroom and I didn't want to sleep with my winter cap on!LOL
The wind has stopped and it was a sunny day, with a few fluffy clouds.
Rainbow a week ago. It was so big, but I only could get a picture of half.LOL

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
7:39 AM

Post #7806742

Pep your yellow irises look like mine!

LOL Mustard Dogs!

Nice pic of the bird Celia!

Cool rainbow, I love it when they're full, even more when they double.

Look at all that snow!!

Love the Irises Sun!! Gorgeous!

Thumbnail by crissyr

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
7:48 AM

Post #7806765

Yes most Dogs Relish Mustard... it's a pickle... :-0

Sorry I'm rereading Piers Anthony... the King of Puns...

...no circumstances, however dismal, will ever be considered a sufficient excuse for the admission of that last and saddest evidence of intellectual poverty, the Pun.
- Mark Twain, a Biography

This message was edited May 19, 2010 9:49 AM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
8:08 AM

Post #7806844

Very punny...now, let's move on... (I love Piers, haven't read that one)

53.8 F with 68 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 71%
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.05 in (Rising)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 5500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 7000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Last evening.

This message was edited May 20, 2010 8:44 AM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 19, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #7807773

52* breezy and sunny~
Adina~the rainbow is so pretty. How nice that it was so big.
Frank is not driving yet so I get to do it-I enjoy driving, especially the Hatcher Pass road.
`one shovelful at a time:)) In a few weeks mother nature will have finished w/winter there, and very quickly, wildflowers and tiny streams will flow down the sides.
kwanjin~love the evening cloudy sky.
crissyr~what a beautiful shade of yellow.
ric~the newly painted furniture will look great-photos, too?
CG~glad the visit went well. We're considering flying to Minneapolis and renting a car to visit Iowa, Michigan next spring. Family in E. MIchigan, but the drive seems daunting going through Chigago/Detroit citiies.
pepper~the iris beds are great~I love those "old" stately flowers.
bp~mowing is a satisfying job, isn't it? Looks great and smells good.
Open water on the Little Susitna. It's now as low as it gets. Once the snow begins to melt upstream, it will be wild and filling from bank to bank.

Thumbnail by kiska

cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7808286

Hey dear friends, I am sorry I can't stay long & I am WAY overdue, I know.. & it will be even more so as I don't know when I can get on again.. I am off to do my Emmaus walk tomorrow evening, right through to Sunday evening. We are due for rain tonight but it's supposed to be in the 90's & sunny all weekend!! I just hope whatever it is they have us doing it's all indoors!!!! hahahahahahahha ( I think it is!).

Miss you all & hope everyone is doing well...hugs!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #7808606

What a beautiful rainbow Adina!
We are rarely in position to get a shot... we're a bit closed in here. THANKS!

Kiska that stream looks so peaceful now.
Hard to believe what the melt water will do... but I can see where it's carved those side out.

We're actually at 63.
Warmest it's been in days.
Hope the beans we put in don't rot on us...

Tomatoes and Peppers look very good though.

Well 3 sides down on the Workshop.
The toughest to go... I only have about 18" between it and the bamboo.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 19, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #7808607

Good luck, cindylove~not sure what the walk is, but sounds intense.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #7808611

High of 62 and rain off and on all day. Will rain thru tomorrow then the heat and humidity come back in full force. By Sunday we should be close to 90 degrees. UGH!!

My Golden Showers rose is blooming. I couldn't detect a fragrance though. Now I want Don Juan just so I have fragrance. LOL
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 19, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #7808615

ric~crossed~the flowers are beautiful-so tall and full of blooms; very pretty.
pepper~crossed again:)) Hopefully there'll be fragrance.

This message was edited May 19, 2010 4:38 PM

Thumbnail by kiska

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 19, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7808623

I forgot the pic. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7808643

This is Paul's Musk Rose.
One of the most fragrant there is.
Originally developed for the perfume industry Musk Roses can knock you over w/ odor.

It's maybe 1/4 open as of sundown.

Thumbnail by henryr10

cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
5:47 PM

Post #7808648

Kiska.. the Emmaus walk is like a spiritual retreat... it's called Emmaus as it is what Jesus did on his journey... all I know is that it's an individual thing, I will have other ladies from all over the region there & some things are going to happen through out the weekend! hahaha.. no watches, no clocks, cell phones, cameras, etc are allowed!!

I will try to describe it when I get back...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 19, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #7809082

Well another beautiful day here. Never bothered with looking at the thermometer, but must have been close to 80. Nice breeze to keep[ from over heating.
We worked on DD house. Got a bunch of siding on until we run out of one little piece of channel for above a door.

Planted an Iris I bought yesterday from a good friend at the market. No I.D. but it is blue to purple & smells like grape kool-aid.

Also finished the mulch on a new Hosta bed.
Some Hostas came from the RU.
Bernie

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2010
4:01 AM

Post #7809721

55 and cool. May get some rain today. We should have a high in the lower 70's and a light east wind.

I've been weeding the largest flower bed, and with DH help, it's done. Now I want to get it Preened! He hoed the harden too. We're eating radish and spinach and hoping the asparagus starts growing again. It slowed down with the cold weather.

Celia, nice guns! They do a show on the Henry's once in a while. Now, you weren't mistaking that for a clay pigeon were you?

Pepper, you have a nice iris bed with a lot of room to fill in!

Ric, groaning on the floor laughing!

Adina, that is the most spectacular rainbow!! And a house of gold at the end :o)

Chrissy, nice close-up of the iris.

Celia, I never met a sky I didn't like!

Kiska, I love stream pictures. Now you and Frank will have to drive back and show it ''raging!'' I see about 20 rocks I want from the second picture!

Cindylove, I hope you have a peaceful walk and a very nice time. Come back refreshed!

Ric, if I had a place for the musk rose...

Pepper, it's all coming this way, heat too. Oohhh, love the rose! No fragrance is a disappointment.

Bernie, they sound like the Pallida iris. Most people call it a violet smell, but not me. I even tag them as Purple Koolaid. I love to walk by and catch a whiff of them. Nice hosta bed. Can't wait to see it when it fills in!

The peonies are huge this year and really smell good!

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #7809858

Picked about a pint of cherries when I went out in the fog to check the rain gauges. I am determined to get at least enough for a pie before the birds swoop in. I am willing to let them have the ones too high for me to pick while standing on the ground, but they don't seem to understand my concept of sharing the harvest. The dew was so heavy I got a shower every time I moved a branch.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #7810045

SUN!
Maybe up to 80 today!

Bernie that Hosta bed should soon be amazing!
I envy many of you the space to set up beds like that.

BP nice Pineys!
We used to grow a lot of them at our other house.
Our neighbor's Father had left her a legacy of Heirloom Peonies.
Rows and Rows they were amazing.
We picked the blooms by the 5 gallon bucket.

Have to go over and check the veggies.
Then we'll be finishing up the detail work on the 3 sides of the WS we've sided so far.

That Paul's Musk Rose is just the ticket if you have a large tree.
They grow about 35' up into the tree and actually prefer shade.
No issues... Black Spot, Aphids, etc...

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2010
8:43 AM

Post #7810385

I don't know how I get so far behind. I think I have answered everything then you guys go and get really chatty and I am "behind-er and behind-er"!

Ric: Wow, a rose with no aphids or black spot!? send me one! LOL I have the perfect place for it too, if it likes shade! Will you please tell me again how to make the mudpie concoction for the butterflies? I have a small pot saucer which I am going to glue to my ladder for the butterflies. I never printed out your directions from before and it is much easier for you to tell me again than it is for me to go back and try to find them. LOL I promise to print them out this time.
Very funny about Adina's mustard and the (hot) dogs!
Pepper: nice iris bed!
Bernie, your new hosta bed is looking good. The photo is is what a portion of my new shade bed is looking like after just putting it in last fall. Charlotte (cperdue), who lives about 30 miles from me, moved a bunch of her plants around last fall and needed to get rid of some of her hostas. I was one of the happy recipients of a good many of them.

Sorry, no time to comment on everything. I have to make a run to "walley world", in spite of the rain.

It is raining here and 63F. Definitely won't be working outside today but I have plenty I need to do in the house. The only thing is that housework and laundry isn't nearly as much fun as being in the flowerbeds! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2010
8:48 AM

Post #7810408

Time to play outside again. Weeding hasn't been done and more planters to fill.

61.8 F with 65 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 39%
Wind Gust: 5.0 mph
Pressure: 29.93 in (Steady)
Clouds: Few 7000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 10000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 20, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #7810614

Nice bed, Marsue. Those annuals will fill things in until the hostas grow bigger.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #7811296

Sunfarm, how nice to have a cherry tree! Is it a semi-dwarf or an old tall one? Sweet or sour? Now that is a dew!

Ric, my Grandma and Dad call them Pineys :o) I would have loved to see all those rows and smelled them! I'm tempted, but aren't the Musks a zone 6 limit?

Mau, but you are always missed! Isn't that so, but housework eventually has to be done :o( When those impatiens fill out it's going to be wonderful color! It will feel 10 cooler back there! Your lady sculpture is cute!

Celia, playing in the dirt! Is that Betony? I love the shape of the blooms.

I managed to pick spinach and radish before the light rain we're getting. It looks much rainier on the AccuWeather Radar. I planted a new yellow iris from a fellow DG'er and sprinkled Preen on the newly weeded bed!

It's 60, down from 68 before the rain! It is raining lightly right now. I need to clean up before we leave for DGS's pre-school graduation. 20 kids in his class. This should be cute!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #7811306

BP, that Lamium is 'Chequers'. Only one of them is blooming. The other 2 look great but no flowers.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2010
1:48 PM

Post #7811336

Sunny, Bright, 77 - off to cut lawn as it is to start raining again tomorrow and continue for a week.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #7812106

Rain off and on with high humidity and higher temps. Tornado touchdowns earlier in Warrensburg, a college town southeast of here about 30 min and it also hit Whiteman AFB but no touchdowns there, just wall cloud. It then hit Sedalia, home of the MO State Fair, and was really weak. It was supposed to hit Hughesville, which is north of there but don't know if the wall cloud hit there or not. That is where leaflady lives. I called her but she apparently wasn't home so I will check on her tomorrow after work.

Ok, here are my iris beds. This one is in front of the deck running parallel to driveway. We hope to replace our walls this year. They are close to 15 years old and as you can see they are starting to break apart.

Thumbnail by pepper23

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2010
6:38 PM

Post #7812121

This is around the corner from the other one. You can see the lights in the other pic.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #7812235

Paul's Musk Rose is VERY cold hardy and surprisingly heat tolerant too.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64797/

Mau mix 1:1 Garden soil from an area no pesticides or BT was used and composted Cow Manure.
Wet until damp or muddy, sprinkle just a very little Kosher or Non-Iodized Salt.
You can add a couple of fruit slices but I find these attract bees and wasps more than Butterflies in our area.
Keep it damp all Summer.
I tip the feeder slightly so there is standing water on one end damp mud on the other.

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2010

Post #7812323

Thanks, BP; It's always nice to be missed! I bought that 'lady' at a place in Louisiana when I went down to the RU this last week-end.
Celia: I like the lamium, too. Pretty little flowers.
Pepper: glad those tornadoes didn't touch down near your place.
Thanks for the 'recipe', Ric. I will print it off this time. :o)) Neat old high chair. Are you going to put a pot in it? I might have to get me one of those Musk Roses.

Currently 71F clear skies

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2010
8:12 PM

Post #7812355

I'll try again to get some rooted cuttings from the Paul's Musk.
So far no good but...

All the chairs but one will become plant stands.

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7812371

LOVE that red chair with the clematis! What is that big-leafed plant on the left and what kind of hosta is that on the right? Inquiring minds want to know. LOL

edited to ask: Is there a vine that will grow in the shade that I could plant to climb on that mannequin? If not, I can always put her in the sun bed and plant a clematis to grow on her.

This message was edited May 20, 2010 9:20 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #7812476

LOL!
Kelli asked the same thing on Cubits.
That's Petasites japonica
The Hosta is 'Big Daddy'

I'd go w/ an Ivy on the mannequin.
But there are hundreds of shade vines.
Set her in a bed of Naked Ladies...?

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2010
4:08 AM

Post #7812752

60, foggy across the field and only going to be this warm all day. We might get more rain.

Graduation was adorable. 20 little ones sang a few songs with gestures. They had colored bells and rang them along to music when their teacher held up their color on a card. They sprayed the floor with water from a squirt bottle to sing "Squeaky Clean." They pretended to wash up, and brush their teeth. Then moved their feet on the floor so they squeaked. It's theri favorite song and it was cute!

Celia, Lamium is nice! I love the small streak of white.

Dyson, rain mow, rain mow. At least you don't have to water the garden :o)

Pepper, I'm glad you had no touch downs and hope Leaflady has nothing either. What a great place to see the iris every day. I wish they bloomed longer :o( Nice wall! What a perfect backdrop. I'd love to have room for all those iris! Are the lights solar or wired?

Ric, I think why I never got one is that they are so heavy that a tree is the best place to support one. But the aroma... I'd like to smell one. Neat Chairs!! I love the clematis and the red chair! What a neat idea! I tried rooting the Yellow Rose of Texas and never had any luck.

Mau, I always notice, sooner or later that someone is missing and I do miss them! Lovely blue on the Hydrangea.

A bed of Naked Ladies! ROTFL over the perfect answer!
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2010
4:31 AM

Post #7812791

Good morning all! We found 0.08" of rain in the gauge this morning. It started just after the lawn mowing was finished. Perfect timing. If the lawn had grown any more we would have needed a goat instead of a mower; thanks to the flooding, bridge deck curing, and more rain we went longer than we should have before mowing.

Took a picture of some interesting growth on the edge of my catnip bed.

BP, the cherries are on trees we transplanted from volunteers from 3 old trees in our front yard that were overgrown a few years ago and had to be cut down. They are best for cooking--a bit on the tart side, but still edible as is. I try to freeze them for upside-down cake, pies, etc. throughout the year.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2010

Post #7813095

I love fresh cherries. My neighbors tree is covered in them every year but he never sprays and they get worms. Ick.

48.9 F with 70 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 49 F
Humidity: 62%
Dew Point: 36 F
Pressure: 29.85 in (Steady)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 11000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

A buddy of Darrell's gave me one of his 'Old German' tomato plants. Yippee!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 21, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #7813233

38* bright and beautiful.
bp~I loved your description of the graduation. Very sweet.
Mud pies for butterflies is a new recipe to me; sounds great.
We had a nice rainfall night before last that was needed. It seems so clean again. The glacial dust is gray and needed washed off.
Have a wonderful day and weekend and hi to everyone.
Taken last August~

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #7813714

[quote]Taken last August[/quote]

And the bridge forum keeps going strong! :-)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #7813933

Iris are blooming nicely today.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2010
10:44 AM

Post #7813935

The Iris bed.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2010
10:46 AM

Post #7813939

This pic & the next 2 are the same bed. To big to get it in one picture.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #7813942

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2010
10:48 AM

Post #7813948

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2010
10:49 AM

Post #7813954

Last bed.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2010
11:56 AM

Post #7814119

Ric: "Set her in a bed of Naked Ladies...?" ROTFLOL!!! Actually, I do have a couple of naked ladies in my flower bed but they are up against the fence and some of the taller plants are hiding them. My mannequin wouldn't show up there.

BP: I loved your description of the graduation. Brings back memories of my own grandkids' kindergarten years. They are all so cute at that age. (It's a different story when they get to be teens!--not so "cute", then. How is it that teens all of a sudden get smarter than everybody else when they hit 13?)
Sunfarm: toadstools! I've had some of those to pop up in my gardens after we've had a lot of rain.
Celia: you are going to have tomatoes, too!
Kiska: Alaska in August--sounds lovely!
LOL @ Kelli :o))
Bernie: lovely, lovely iris. I really like the yellow iris against the blue background of your house. Do you have the name of the burgundy iris in your 2nd photo. I', seriously thinking about buying some re-blooming iris. I received Dutch Gardens' catalogue a couple of days ago and they have several re-blooming iris. I have never been disappointed in anything I have ordered from Dutch Gardens. I ordered a few things from them last season. One of the plants was a blue hellebore. I can hardly wait until it blooms next season.

I finished planting my RU plants this morning. Plus I dug up 3 roses that I needed to get out of my front flowerbed. That bed is mostly clay and sand, although we did add garden soil to it plus several inches of mulch. The roses, though, haven't done well in that bed--constantly getting black spot. I lost 3 roses frrm that bed last year. When I dug up the 3 plants this morning, they were just standing in water because of the recent rains we have had and water doesn't drain well from clay. The knock-out roses, daylilies and iris seem to be doing quite well in that bed--just not the hybrid tea roses. I am going to give the roses to Kathy Ann, one of my Mid-south gardening friends. She is starting a new section at her place for roses. She has 5 acres so there is plenty of room for adding new flower beds. If any of you are on Facebook you should "friend" Kathy Ann (Kathy Algood). You can see a lot of her photographs there on her FB page. She has some beautiful gardens!

Red Fox Veronica and blue salvia

Thumbnail by marsue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2010
12:06 PM

Post #7814154

Sunfarm, the rain has had some good timing here too. Interesting mushrooms! The cherries sound good! When DH was still at work, a guy would go to Michigan and pick up concentrated cherry juice and dried cherries. We got the juice. It was a bit tart and good! Cherries are supposed to be a good cancer preventer.

Celia, my neighbor has a small ancient tree. It's been there since I was a kid. It gets fungus because the kids who live there now don't use them. It's a sweet cherry too! Nice tomato in a nice set-up!! We found cages and a stake is the way to go!

Kiska, thanks! :o) I love that picture! Calender worthy!! I'm going to try the butterfly recipe too!

Kelli, ROTFL!!

Oh Bernie, so many beautiful iris to look at! Wow, you chose the right name for yourself! Wonderful ''gardens'' of flowers! It must be so peaceful there.

Marsue, thanks! :o) They do seem to pick up knowledge at that age. I was 13 once, but I don't remember now, that I was so smart, LOL! I like Dutch Gardens too, but their prices jumped too much for me and they are more into Dahlias than the oriental lilies. I got most of my lilies from them. I have the veronica and salvia and love both of them.

Dinner?

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2010
12:13 PM

Post #7814178

Yuuuum!!! When do we eat?

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2010
12:19 PM

Post #7814194

:o)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #7814245

I looked at marker & the name on there does not fit was is there. The name is for a yellow one. These came from a co-op on here, but from a grower. I guess you can't depend on anything being right. Another two that I got from a DG member are side by side & blooms are exactly the same.
I'll just plant & enjoy. Markers are to expensive anyhow.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2010
12:59 PM

Post #7814301

Looks like we're getting some weather here in a bit.
Dyson dark!

Ric
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2010
2:01 PM

Post #7814428

Cherries are great for arthritis too!
We have had a few sprinkles today, but the showers are so widely scattered there is only a trace of precip in the gauge. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
I won't post the picture of the 5' rat snake I nearly tripped over on my way to the compost pile (unless you really want me to). He was pretty neat looking--to those of us who don;t mind snakes. They do eat mice!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #7814658

Great irises, Bernie!

I love cherries but I can't eat them because they cause me troubles.

Feels every bit of 73F

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on May 21, 2010
73 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 38%
Dew Point: 46 F
Wind: 10 mph from the SSE

Some pictures from earlier today
Chaparral pea is very uncommon around here but is supposed to be more common in the real mountains.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #7814664

some kind of grass that I liked

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #7814666

virgins bower is going to seed

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #7814671

Can you hear me now?

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2010
3:45 PM

Post #7814673

Broom is very invasive when it finds a place it likes, but it also smells very good.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2010

Post #7814674

last one

Thumbnail by Kelli

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #7814702

Sunfarm, I'll look at your snake!

Kelli, sorry for your troubles :o(
Love the pea! It reminds me of the peremnnial sweet pea. Neat grass picture! Cool, the bower resembles a clematis seed head. Laughing! I can hear you! I didn't know broom smelled good. Wow, what a view! I see flowers I'd like to have, but learn why it's better to go see them :o)

We never got any rain today and I had a nice long walk around town. It's almost 70, cool, cloudier now than it was 10 minutes ago and is going to get mighty warm here over the next few days.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #7814966

Just for your eyes only BP! This is the first I have seen this year.
More showers around, but temps are pleasant.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 21, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #7815095

Length Of Visible Light: 20h 54m
Sunrise: 4:50
Sunset: 10:57
63*F and once again, windy.
sunfarm~thanks for early warning; I shudder at the thought of your pest-patrol.
kelli~yep~the bridges just keep coming. My sister is looking up the covered bridge, Bridgeport, for a ride/destination. Thanks for that one. Love your photos.
CG~so pretty~love what you've done.
Thanks, bp.

Thumbnail by kiska

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2010

Post #7815157

A perfect day today!! Sunny and warm at about 72.

The lights in my last pic do work and they are wired. We have too much shade to get away with solar. The lights help us see the driveway at night. With the driveway being curved it comes in handy. lol

Bluestone Perennials is having their half off sale today. There's still time to hit it. I got me a few plants.

Deutzia gracilis 'Chardonnay Pearls' got me 2
Geranium Biokovo one group of 3
Hollyhock Creme de Cassis one group of 3
Anemone Max Vogel one group of 3

Here are more pics of my different iris beds and areas. This is around the flag pole.

Thumbnail by pepper23

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7815164

This is in one of my shadier spots. It's on the other side of the deck across from the driveway. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7815174

Handsome snake Sunny!

Kiska looks like everyone is out beating cabin fever!

Nice shots again Kelli!
It's good to see dry!!!
I love the smell of Broom. We've had it a few times over the years.
I think we are just too wet for it.

We got smacked hard.
The front came in straight from the South.
Usually our weather comes from the S/W.

Haven't checked the gauge but we had to have gotten 2" of rain in the hour between 4:30 and 5:30.
Lots of close lightning strikes.
My 'Puter was turned off and in a protector and still got a bit scrambled.
Had to open in repair mode.
Everything is fine but...
The Ponds and Waterfeatures are all overflowing.
The Stack Pond was down 2" or more before the rain.
Small band moving in again.

After tomorrow it's Sunny and upper 80's all week!

We did get another seat repaired after the morning shower.
I headed to the Library, Post Office and Grocery while it was raining during the early afternoon shower...lol!

Ric

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7815257

Kiska: how is Frank's foot doing? You are getting lots of daylight!
Pepper: sounds like you got some good deals at Bluestone. Is that iris in your last photo a pink one? Sometimes it is hard to tell from the photos.
LOL, Kelli, at "Can you hear me now?"
Ric: I'm sorry about you getting "smacked" but glad nothing was badly damaged.

We were in the mid to high 80's today. Tomorrow and the next few days, we will be in the low 90's! too hot for this time of year!

My what big teeth you have!

Thumbnail by marsue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #7815318

It's a salmon color. I call it peachy pink. LOL
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #7815399

Sally, the chaparral pea flower is about the size of a perennial sweet pea but the plant itself is totally different. It's a large woody shrub.

Kiska, So you have a web site where you sell your glasswork? D-mail me if you want. We have a chair a lot like the one your GS is sitting in. I got it for DH for his birthday or something. We use it in the house. It's his chair, but I have used it when various sorenesses have temporarily kept me from sitting on the floor. I usually sit on the floor when I do my craft work and watch t.v.

Ric, that's nasty about the computer. I didn't know anything could happen if it was turned off. I guess off isn't off after all.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 21, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #7815501

Someone mentioned the yellow Iris against the blue house. That is our cabinet shop building, although the house has the same siding.

Ric, I was checking out ORV thread. Sounds like incredible rain.
Hope you all get dried out soon. Sure has been a strange year!

Thanks, kiska

Bernie
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #7815613

Weird weather Bernie.
We just got in from the HT... the moon is out... lol!

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2010
8:36 PM

Post #7815619

Just in
The National Weather Service confirmed sightings of a tornado around 7 p.m. in Mt. Orab. There are reports of minor damage, meteorologist Myron Padgett said.
That's about 30 miles East of us.
We had NO Wind.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2010
4:04 AM

Post #7816073

55 and foggy in town. We had a hoot owl hooting in the back yard at 4:30 am. When I fed the outdoor cat I caught a whiff of skunk on the air. It shold be a nice day with a high in the low 80's. Finally! Then it may rain again tomorrow and be 90.

Sunfarm, he's a nice long snake and would startle me at first! I hope he eats all big fat rats and mice. Then maybe he won't be underfoot :o)

Kiska, what a nice relaxed family picture. I think I could use some of that daylight this week. I'd like to get my beds weeded before the mosquitos hatch! It's funny, now the mountains seem surreal in the background.

Pepper, I like the lights! You're lucky to live near Bluestone and it sounds like a very nice haul! You have a lot of pretty iris! I look forward to walking my beds every day while mine are in bloom.

Wow Ric, I'm glad we didn't get that storm! I'm hoping to dry out. Good to do chores while the rain falls :o)

Marsue, ROTFL!! He was having a bit of fun!

Kelli, I'll bet it's a pretty shrub when it's full of blooms.

Bernie, NICE big place to do woodworking!

Wow again Ric! I'm glad you got to use the tub instead of the basement.

It was such a quiet night here last night. No cars, kids, anything. And it was Friday night!!

We slept with one window open, so the hoot owl sounded pretty close :o) The cat on the sideporch came in thru the window. Guess he thought so too!

Weeded and Preened. East to West. Mainly iris blooming right now. Sweet Rocket, white Coral Bells and Johnson's Blue Geranium among other small things.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2010
4:05 AM

Post #7816075

West to East

I have to stand on the ladder to get it all in.

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 22, 2010
4:11 AM

Post #7816081

Definitely to neat!
All set to head to market. Leave about 6:30.
Sun is rising. High today of 89, but windy of course!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2010
4:33 AM

Post #7816100

Thanks Bernie! Breeze is just picking up here and the sun is coming up over the buildings and trees.

Have a great Market Day!!
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #7816177

BP, your flower beds are gorgeous! When you finish your weeding and preening, you can come work on mine! My find of the morning (besides more cherries) was a chestnut seedling I had not spotted before. We have four old trees that we believe are offspring of American chestnuts that survived the blight early last century that wiped out most of the species. They produce nuts well, and we have [so far successfully] managed to transplant a few seedlings that have appeared from nuts not taken by squirrels. The old trees are in decline from age, so we hope to perpetuate them from the seedlings. Picture from last year.
There was 0.32" in the rain gauges this morning. Glad we didn't get drowned like you did, Ric. I noticed the 39 reports from around Kentucky when I reported my reading were from 0.10 to 1.88" so the showers must have been quite scattered.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #7816363

I'll have to go over and check the gauge.
It's actually in our Veggie Garden in Jon's yard.
He loaned us some space their as they have open area.
Sun shine and clear here this morning! 90 tomorrow?
I mentioned we had no wind from the T-Storm last evening.
So little that water is still shaking off from the trees this morning.

Bernie hope the Market is going well!

BP that's an Amazing looking Bed!
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #7816441

AGH! I'm way behind again! In fact, I'm so far behind I think I'm ahead LOL! Sorry, had to be said.

It's hot here, 90* today, 93* tomorrow, no storms WoooHoooooo!!

I went out last night and took a bunch of pics, I'm uploading them now. I'll post the link when they're done, it takes awhile on this computer.

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
8:54 AM

Post #7816628

Raining - get tired of it but at least I do not have to water the veggies.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 22, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #7817092

Dyson, same here!
It's been raining since yesterday, but no wind, thanks God! We had several showers and some thunders and lightnings. One has almost shaked the house...also the dog house and Trica ran out of it preffering to stay out in the rain!LOL
Sally, Pepper and Bernie, great flower beds.
Ric, excellent use of the chair, love it!
Mau, beautiful Salvia bed! Cute teeth!LOL
Jackie, great picture of the bridge and of your family on the porch!
Sally , wonderful peonies!
Kelli, wow, those are A LOT of antennas! Great pics! Love the broom!
SunSally, cute mushrooms and chestnuts! Is that snake in your garden...grrr?
Some clouds coming over our street today.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 22, 2010
11:37 AM

Post #7817107

My garden today, between 2 showers.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
12:19 PM

Post #7817177

Cooler and rainy.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2010
12:29 PM

Post #7817200

Send us some of your rain, Dyson! You can keep the tornadoes, though, Ric. We don't need any more big winds.

It's hot and unusually dry here. I should have run the soaker hoses this morning, but we were lazing around and I didn't get out there in time. Now the water would just evaporate before it soaked in anywhere. Today is our 11th anniversary, and the babysitter is coming at 5:30 (yayy!), so I need to clean the house.

I went out to take photos of all of my daylilies the other day, but the wind was blowing so hard they all came out blurry. This one came out ok... I'll try to shoot the rest again later. :-) Off to clean the house...

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 1:53pm CDT (26 min ago)
Temperature 89 F 32 C
Dew Point 71 F 22 C
Humidity 55%
Pressure 29.93 in 1013.7 mb
Wind Speed 15 MPH
G 22 13 kts
G 19
Wind Dir S 170
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 96 F 36 C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 73.9F / 23.3C

Today Partly cloudy. Highs in the lower 90s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 70s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 22, 2010
3:05 PM

Post #7817597

Market was OK. Clouded over with little wind. Later a storm moved through north of the market. Wind changed to NW & got very gusty. Blew some tents around & merchandise on the ground. It was nearly closing time so everybody packed up.
We sold out of veggies, some eggs & lots of tomato plants.

Going to take DW & do a little shopping, then out to dinner. Seeing as we didn't grow bedding plants we need to buy a few to fill in here & there.

Strong south wind this afternoon & about 85. Sunny.
War like this all week they say.

Bernie
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #7817732

High in the high 80s and humid. No wind this morning but this afternoon it picked up so it's not too bad out there.

Sally, Bluestone Perennials is located waaaay closer to Ric than me!! LOL!! They are in Madison, Ohio. I hit their online sale.

Another iris bed, area. I have iris, hosta, climbing rose and ostrich fern in that little bitty spot.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7818196

Closer but Bluestone isn't close to me either.
Exact opposite of the state. About 300 miles...

Here's Robyn testing the Lawn Furniture repair.
Trust me 2 days ago the cat would have crushed this! lol!

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7818291

Ric: glad that tornado wasn't near your neighborhood! Love the chair that Robyn is "testing". It's great to be able to fix up an old piece of furniture, isn't it?
BP: your flower bed is gorgeous! I'm next in line behind sunfarm to have you come and weed and Preen my flower beds! LOL
Adina: your garden is looking lovely, too. :o))
Celia: beautiful iris--do you know the name of it?
Marylyn: you clean your house before the babysitter arrives? LOL nice daylily.
Bernie: sounds like you had a good day at the market.
Pepper: you have a lot packed into that little space! The iris do okay in the same bed with the hostas?

I worked outside for about 3 hours this morning, then it started getting too hot. We were in the low 90's this afternoon and it was humid! It is tooooo hot for May! :o(( After I came inside and got cleaned up, my cousin called and asked if I wanted to go on the tour of the Cabot Parade of Homes. I said "sure!", so she picked me up about 1 p.m. Four hours later we completed our tour of the 7 homes. I had a lovely afternoon visiting with my cousin and seeing the homes. They were all beautifully decorated and furnished. I would have to win the lottery in order to furnish my home in the fashion with which those homes were all furnished. They were beautiful, needless to say!

I managed to get some photos later this afternoon. This one is a bumblebee in one of the hollyhock blooms. I wish EB would come back on this thread so he can see these since he is the one who sent me the seeds.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #7818297

I bought this little pot man at a nursery in LA last week-end when I went to the RU. I finally got him glued to Buddy's old wooden ladder.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7818304

I have a moon vine from Charlotte planted on the front and the back of the ladder. They are beginning to grow enough to start climbing the ladder.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2010
7:38 PM

Post #7818313

I have two small hydrangeas in my new shade bed that are getting ready to bloom. I think this one is going to be pink.

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #7818581

Mau, I do not know the Iris name. Ive been searching but I seem to have lost the name somewhere. (sigh)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
1:31 AM

Post #7818884

Details for Sunday, May 23
Areas of morning fog. Partly cloudy early followed by scattered thunderstorms this afternoon. High 81F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Evening: Scattered thunderstorms this evening with a few showers possible late. Low 62F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 40%.

- Dark

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2010
4:27 AM

Post #7819001

72! Yesterday and last night couldn't have been more perfect. We slept with the windows open and a breeze would pick up and die down. It's still that way this morn. No rain in sight on the radar. It all went way north of us.

Sunfarm, thanks! A few years ago I was calling it my bed of shame. Nothing much blooming at the same time and too shady for the plants I did have in it. I hope your trees make it! What a treasure! I've never seen a chestnut tree. Pretty cool!

Thank You Ric! The grass that came from that bed, filled in the area a trailor house sat after we bought the neighbor's property. We sold the trailor dirt cheap and they had to make arrangements to move it. It took all day. The wheels that it did have, weren't enough to get it out. The guy moving it owned a trailor court and had to go home and get what he needed. So, he and another guy finally got it jacked out of the dirt, tires on, and it made a long slow ride across our yard, towards our driveway, diagonally, across the yard. He was pulling it with a small tractor. We got to our sloped driveway and had to lay down boards. I held my breath till it was safely on the road and not tipped over in my yard. They hooked it up to a truck and off it went to it's new home. Late afternoon, and we still needed to put up a wall on the garage. The trailor served as one. It's a good thing we were young because we were bone tired! And that's why we have a five walled garage and a huge flower bed :o)

Chrissy ROTFL! That's a good one about being ahead!!

Dyson, I hear ya on too much rain! But, it makes things grow better than ground water.

Adina, that's some storm, and poor Tricia! Thank you! I do enjoy my morning rounds with so much color to look at. I love sky pictures, very pretty!! I just love foxglove and have trouble keeping it. I guess I haven't found the right spot for it yet.

Celia, love the color of your iris!

Marylyn, Happy Anniversary yesterday!! Wow, you're still honeymooners :o) Love the daylily! He came right up and smiled for the camera :o) What a shame you're hot and dry.

Bernie, I'm glad you can come home mostly empty handed. It must feel good to know people are eating quality food! At 85, a bit of wind would feel good.

Pepper, I haven't ordered from a catalog for a couple years now and forget where most of the companies are located. Online, you did good! Smiling over how that itty bitty spot will need to get a bitty bit bigger :o) It looks nice! I love the trellis!

Ric, ROTFL!! I'll never find Bluestone at this rate! Robin looks very relaxed! I'll bet after the picture she got up and got busy tho :o) Love the full backyard! So much to sit and look at.

Marsue, looks like I'll be spending my summer weeding! LOL! Thank you! What a perfect day!! I'm glad you could do something other than baking in the sun! I adore hollyhocks!! I'm glad to see the bee! It looks like you caught the pollen falling in mid air. Aawww, pot man is so cute! How neat to surround him with the moon vine, and the hydrangeas are going to be pretty!

Celia, it's a nice one name or no! All three are going to look nice together. We need another picture when they are all open.

Dyson, I hope your rain goes around you like ours did. We need to dry the skeeters up. I got bit yesterday by one and he died for it!

Well, it was light enough when I got up at 5:00 am and the sun hasn't come up over the horizon yet at 6:20 am. I can't believe it took this long to read and look at your pictures!

This is the Half Moon bed, north to south.

Thumbnail by billyporter

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 23, 2010
5:06 AM

Post #7819062

Here's the deal on people eating healthy local grown food.
Mankato & North Mankato have 40,000 residents. A good Saturday in peak season brings in maybe 2500 shoppers. Half of them will be from out of town. (You get that with a regional shopping hub.)
Pretty sad percentage of population eating healthy!
Yesterday probably half the customers went home with crafts or flowers & not produce.

75 at 6 AM. High today near 90.
Very windy from south. Clear sky.
Afternoon storms.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2010
6:34 AM

Post #7819235

Bernie, It is probably a higher percentage of people eating well than we have in central Kentucky. Except in Lexington, the local, small-town farmers' markets tend to struggle. People would rather do fast food. We subscribed to a CSA last year when I knew my health problems would preclude any gardening, and were one of only two subscribers. The farmer had hoped the number would grow as the idea caught on, but this year we are his only subscribers. We had a yummy salad for lunch yesterday with all sorts of interesting greens and herbs--some of the latter from our own garden. We have also had rhubarb to supplement our own harvest, as well as oyster and shiitake mushrooms, strawberries, and garlic from the CSA so far this year.

Foggy this morning, but will be into the 80s starting today and lasting all week.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
7:02 AM

Post #7819297

71, clear, & bright

Details for Sunday, May 23
Cloudy skies this morning followed by scattered showers and thunderstorms during the afternoon. High 82F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Evening: Scattered thunderstorms this evening with a few showers possible late. Low 62F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 40%.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #7819947

Bernie, what a shame. They don't know what they are missing.

Sunfarm, an even bigger shame. At least you are enjoying a bounty.

We are hot at 88. We closed up the house when it was 72 and it's staying very nice with just a fan. I got lucky on no rain and hung two loads of sheets and winter clothes out to dry, and they did. I brought them all in off the line already. I'm sure we won't need sweatshirts and jammie pants any more this year!

We stopped at the cemetary yesterday and he was crossing the gravel road. Of course I had to have a picture!

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7820470

BP; since you are closer to me than Celia is, I am going to come roll up your lawn! LOL How do you folks get such weed-free lawns? I think it rains weeds around here! I haven't slept with the windows open since we got a window air conditioning unit way back when I was in the 9th grade! I take it that it isn't humid where you live? A very handsome turtle!
Bernie: those folks that walk away without home-grown veggies either don't know what they are missing or they grow their own.
Sunfarm: What is a CSA?

It is a hot and humid 91F here. Toooooo hot for May. I can only imagine what July and August are going to be like! :o(( I did sit out in the shade garden with Friday a little earlier. The wind was blowing slightly so it was pretty nice out there until the wind stopped blowing and the humidity got bad. Friday and I both were glad to get back inside in the a/c. I'm not looking forward to the electric bill, though.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2010
2:54 PM

Post #7820493

Ric: I have been meaning to ask you about the mudpie recipe for butterflies. You said no pesticides or BT. What is BT? I don't think I have used it but I need to know for sure what it is. LOL Also, will horse manure do instead of cow manure?
Horse manure is what I have in my new shade bed--all mixed in with garden soil and wood chips.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
2:54 PM

Post #7820494

It rained - just enough that I am not reaching for the watering jugs.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #7820505

Dyson, not having to water is always good--unless you get too much rain, that is.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2010
3:16 PM

Post #7820557

Sorry I didn't supply a definition, Marsue. It stands for Community Supported Agriculture--essentially a subscription for produce delivered weekly or on whatever terms your farmer works out with you. There is a website which shows a map or index of such programs across the country. I don't have the URL handy, but I am sure you can find it on Google if you are interested.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #7820590

Thanks, Sunfarm. I will google it. We have a farmer's market on Saturdays during the summer here in Cabot, but I always seem to forget about it until it is over. There is also a larger one in downtown Little Rock on Tues. and Sat. but I don't want to drive 25 miles one way to get fresh veggies every week.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2010
3:49 PM

Post #7820672

I did google it, Sunfarm, and found that there is an organic farm outside of Jacksonville, AR which is about 8 miles from me. They participate in a Farmer's Market on Thursdays in Jacksonville and at the Farmer's Market in North Little Rock on Tues. and Sat. I might check out the one in Jacksonville this next week and see what they have. :o))

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 23, 2010
4:12 PM

Post #7820728

South wind. High humidity.

We attended GD dance class recital this afternoon. Then went & had ice cream with family.
Her paternal grandparents were there too. So had lots of chit-chat.

She is the blond, 3rd from the right.
Bernie

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #7820981

Hope you can find a good source of produce, Marsue. You have to figure the driving costs into whether it is worth it. The guy we buy from sold at two farmers' markets last year (Irvine and Berea) but would prefer not to have to drive to Berea if he could get more subscribers here. He has some interesting Chinese vegetables and has better luck with cabbage and broccoli than I ever had. I was really sorry about wasting a lot of things last year. I was in chemo for several months starting in August and not only could not eat very many things, I could not even handle them to cook for others or put up in the freezer. I was very sensitive to smells. I had no nausea, but even filtered water tasted bitter and nasty. I lived on eggs, cottage cheese, and yogurt. Even the texture of bananas was too coarse going down my throat. Not a great experience.

We had some mixed feelings about how well it worked out last year, as his wife packed things we had said at the beginning of the year that we were not interested in because we already grew them or did not like them. I suggested this year that he e-mail me a day in advance to let me know what he has so I can pick and choose. He did that once, but I gather he is so disorganized that may not happen often. He drops the produce off at DD's vet clinic in town and she brings the stuff home that night, so I don't have to go out. I don't regret the arrangement and he gave us the same price this year as last.

Got to mid-80s today, and should be about that all week.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2010

Post #7821044

Mau Bacillus Thuringiensis (Bt) is a natural caterpillar control.
Usually but not limited to Vegetable Pests.
Don't want to kill the babies...

Same weather as Sunny... and FAR TOO HOT!

Here's the Finch nest... stopping us from finishing this wall.
Look at about 2 o'clock on the wreath.

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7821051

e-b is fine I talked to him yesterday.
Sometimes life gets in the way.

New 'old' toy.
Yes it's a mirror but what kind.

Hint it's upside down.

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2010

Post #7821147

Very hot and humid here. We reached mid 80s and luckily had a breeze.

Ended up at the Royals game today. Of course they lost but not too badly. 11-7. We hung out on the Party Porch because we had nosebleed seats and were not going all the way to the top. LOL. Got lucky and caught a ball that was thrown our way. I hid in the sweater I had brought with me and kept a tight hold on it. LOL

My last flower bed. It's on the opposite side of the hosta, iris bed. Oh and hostas and irises grow great together. I have irises that are in heavy shade that are blooming.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #7821359

Hi everyone...I've just been lurking around...not posting much anywhere.

Mau...Nice to see those HH seeds are growing!

Ric...So the project is halted by a bird! Hope you don't have any snail darters in your ponds!

Went on a long bike ride today. It's buttercup season here...

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 24, 2010
4:10 AM

Post #7821885

Filtered sun.
70 dew point.
High expected, 92

I got a good start on the stream yesterday. It held water overnight!

Going out to work in the tomato house before it gets to hot. Pruning & tying.

Bernie

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2010
4:13 AM

Post #7821893

72 with a few clouds and near record temps of 90. We're in Summer mode now. All windows and doors open to cool the house. As soon as the temps are even, in and out, we'll shut it up and it will stay nice all day.

Marsue, :o) if you wait, I'll mow that lawn for you today! DH pulls the dandelions, clover and a lot of others, but we have to resort to sprays and granules too. If you get grass to grow in the first place, it crowds out the weeds. Having a weekly rain is a plus. We do not water the lawn unless it's new grass. It gets very humid and it gets very dry, and some days are perfect. We're going to be humid this week.

Dyson, I'd be sitting on the porch watching everything grow with all that rain.

Bernie, they are all so cute! I'm glad to be the Grandparent at the games and parties!

Sunfarm, having it delivered would be nice. But yes, he should let you chose from what he has. What IS available at this time of year? It's too bad your taste was affected. Let's hope it never has to hapen again.

Ric, she found a nice place for a nest! Medicind cabinet mirror! I'm glad EB is OK.

Pepper, I'm am laughing so hard over the image of you hiding the ball!! You have so many good places close to the house to plant iris.

Early, glad you popped in! I really missed your pictures. What a perfect country scene. I love how the horses are headed your way :o)

I put 37 ounces of spinach in the freezer yesterday. I'm going to try cooking and seasoning a batch and freezing it. It sure would save a lot of time and pans. I planted Bloomsdale to get rid of the seed and it's very curly. I almost have to swish and inspect each leaf for webs on the back. It also fell apart in the water more than what I used last year. Good thing I'm writing this stuff down!
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2010
5:13 AM

Post #7821988

I am particularly enjoying the leaf lettuce and other spring greens. I'm not sure what some of them even are, but they are tasty! They are especially welcome as I try not to buy imported salad greens out of season.
Foggy this morning, and I was surprised to hear the furnace kick on briefly when the temperature outside when down to the 50s. It should be in the upper 80s today, so we will probably hit the ac by late afternoon. I would open the house if it were not so humid.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #7822561

My guess on the mirror is it's from the shoe dept.

34.6 F with 54 for the high.
Snow Mist
Windchill: 35 F
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 34 F
Pressure: 29.81 in (Falling)
Visibility: 2.0 miles
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 700 ft
Overcast 1100 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4266 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 24, 2010
9:05 AM

Post #7822670

Corn & soybeans are growing like crazy.
Most farmers have hay all done already, a good 2 weeks earlier than normal.

Bunch of tomatoes went in today. Will be planting things most of this & next week.

Too hot to do much the rest of the day!
(Especially for old man like me.)

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 24, 2010
1:20 PM

Post #7823430

Celia, I can't believe you have snow!!!!!!Crazy weather!
My DD is going to the doctor tomorrow and he will tell her what will happen next...if they are going to make a C-section or not.
It'a getting very hot here, we're expecting very high temps on the next days , up to 88F and higher!!!!!!
The poppies are starting to bloom!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 24, 2010
3:17 PM

Post #7823743

95 most of the afternoon. Still very windy.

AC is on, fans running.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2010

Post #7823811

Sunny
82 F

Beautiful day here...chance of isolated thunderstorms on Thurs. is the only rain in the 10 day forecast! Sun, sun, sun!!!

Adina...Love the poppy photo! Great perspective!

Ric...is that one of those "magic mirrors" that takes off 20 years?

Billy...I'll try to check in more often!

I bought 4 or 5 clematis at $1 each last fall. This one's not too tall but it's blooming it's heart out!

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #7823933

Hot and humid at 90*. Have a breeze but it's still too hot and humid to be outside.

Watered this morning at work so I wouldn't have to deal with the heat this afternoon. Went back outside this afternoon to check on them and almost everything that is outside needed watered again. UGH!! I just grabbed the water can and made a few trips then called it done.

My new desert rose plant. Got it on clearance at Wal Mart. The truck behind it is mine and is supposed to be black but is usually brown. And the dirt on there in the pic is nothing compared to what it will get. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7824312

Hi everyone, and yup, behind again!

Mau everything here turns blue because of the PH balance in the soil. I have a pink hydrangea that's not really doing much, its in a pot and I want to plant it, but it will just turn blue like the others.

Celia nice iris!

Love the 'new' furniture! Nice when it can be used again, and yet still be 'old'.

It's been low 90's with 50% humidity and sunny. There's a thunderstorm dancing around outside, now that it's getting dark it'll fizzle.

Well, we'll see how long it takes me to come back and talk to ya'll.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #7824347

From "Sunny CA":

Snow March 3rd (normal), snow March 31st (Not normal!) We usually do not have any rain or snow after about the 20th of March until November here...

Snow April 5th, 12th, 20th, 28th and 29th! Not normal at all!

Snow May10th, and light snow flurries on May 23rd! (Yes, that was yesterday!) Rain has been predicted for Tuesday and Wednesday, with snow flurries in the Sierra...which means it is possible to get more here as well, even though we are only at 3500' in elevation.

So, will you people that have been hogging our sunshine, please return it? We are willing to share, and don't mind having snow in the wintertime, but not so much of it in spring, especially when I have tomatoes planted already.OK?? (Not funny!)

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #7824356

I posted the following on my Facebook page this morning:

I just found out that my long time friend, Mary Nell Raedels Tompkins, went home to be with the Lord sometime during the night. I had been out working in my flower beds early this morning and there were 4 messages on my phone from her husband, Jim, and two other people. Mary Nell and I met when we were in the 8th grade. Rest in peace, my dear friend. No longer will you be struggling to get up from a chair or having to walk with a cane. I know your beloved parents were there to meet you when you passed through those gates! Jean and I were going to give you one of those tippy pot plant stands that you wanted for your birthday tomorrow. I will put it in a memorial garden for you. We shared some great times together and we will again when I meet you in
heaven. I loved you here on earth and I will love you forever!

Mary Nell is the one seated in the front. I am on the left. The other women are friends we have known for a long time. We were at the wedding of a friend's daughter.

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2010

Post #7824367

Nice Pep!

Celia I can't believe the snow either!!

We were right at 90 at the airport.
We topped out at 85 here.
But by that time the backyard is almost solid shade so...

Made a wood run this morning.
Soon as the baby birds are gone we'll be going full bore.
I'll get the wood precut as much as possible and it's in the open so it should go quickly.

Heading to Bakers Acres Thursday and a visit w/ No H2O .
Should be a great time.
She's gifting the RU w/ a ton of plants.
Looks like 90 for that trip...
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7824379

Mau what a GRAND Picture!
Sorry to hear about your loss.
Good old Friends are rare these days.

Ric

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 24, 2010
8:37 PM

Post #7824649

Still 85 at 10PM.
Tomorrow the front comes through. It will lower us to 80 & crazy wind will die down.
Tonight all bad weather was in Dakotas & MW Minn. The front will go by here in the early morning so storms will be in eastern Minn & western Wisconsin tomorrow afternoon & evening.
We deserve at decent day at market tomorrow. Have put up with goofy weather most of the month.

Sorry to here of your friends passing. Lovely looking group of ladies.

Bernie

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2010
4:33 AM

Post #7825120

72 and cool. It was too hot to mow yesterday, but I did it, in sections, cooling off after each one. I was too busy to even see what the highest temp was. It's supposed to be 89 today. The rain appears to be drying up as it heads our way. I think this may be the way it's going to be all summer now. We'll be in that "ring of fire."

Sunfarm, we had the house open. Very humid, we hit the AC by 10:00 am.

Celia, good guess on the mirror! I'm not only wrong, I misspelled it ! I could have run out in your yard yesterday to cool off!! :o)

Bernie, our neighbor's sweet corn popped and the field corn is a few inches high. SIL cut hay and it will dry. No one should work when it's 95.

Adina, prayers for a good report on your Daughter and Grandson. It's getting exciting again waiting to welcome a little one! Lovely poppy! Beautiful sky!

Early, we know how life gets in the way and people disappear. It's sad, but a nice suprise when they come back! It doesn't hurt to know you were missed either :o) Nice price and this Clematis is gorgeous!

Pepper, it did dry up fast! DH watered the garden and what wasn't soaked was dry. Desert Rose? It looks interesting! We had a black truck twice. Third time, I suggested another color. We love our charcoal grey color! It still looks dirty, but not as bad as before :o)

Chrissy, I'd be happy with a blue hydrangea! It's nice to see you even if it's only for a minute!

Evelyn, I can't help but smile. I'd send you sun for some clouds. I think by seeing the weather from all over, I've learned more on Dave's than TV. I was suprised to find we all have weather liars. It isn't just me. I feel for your tomatoes and it's still a beautiful picture.

Oh Marsue, what a beautiful tribute. I'm so sorry. It's a shock to get news like that. May she rest in peace.

Ric, it will be nice to have the wood pre-cut. Especially if it gets hotter when she's gone. Have a great time at Baker's Acres!

Bernie, I hope you get your good weather. The wind about drove me crazy before it quit, so I hear you there.

I'm making egg and asparagus casserole today. Eggs were cooked the other day for salad and the asparagus is picking up again. Good thing ovens don't lose heat like they used to.

Dewy yard last week

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2010
5:10 AM

Post #7825182

Another day in the mid-80s forecast for today. Should be pleasant until the temperature and humidity peak. My red poppy doesn't look as good as Adina's. The other two near it had already lost their petals and the last one to bloom looked bedraggled by the time I found it yesterday morning in an area I hadn't visited in several weeks. I really need to transplant it nearer the house where I won't miss its beautiful deep color in the future. In some ways it has beauty as though it has survived a struggle, though it is scarred.

Marilyn, I was sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. DH teases me about reading the obituaries in the Lexington paper online, but I want to know if former colleagues and friends I have not seen since we moved 6 years ago are no longer living. At this stage of my life there are too many passing on.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 25, 2010
5:42 AM

Post #7825241

65 this morning. NO WIND!

I spent an hour & a half pruning & tying tomatoes this morning. They grew about 6" from yesterday.

Market today. Should be real nice day.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
7:24 AM

Post #7825538

Mau I am so sorry hun! What a blessing to have a friend for that long, very lucky to have that.

BP here you go!

Still hot, humid, and supposed to get pop up afternoon thunder bumpers today, just like yesterday. Maybe we'll get some water out of it, that would be nice.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #7825543

Does anyone know how to tell when the red potatoes are ready to be pulled?

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #7825545

And carrots?

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #7825549

The wind attacked the corn!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
7:28 AM

Post #7825550

Even Tiga's worried about it

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #7825553

My daylilies are budding!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
7:30 AM

Post #7825554

Ooooooooo!

Thumbnail by crissyr

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 25, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #7825570

Mau, sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Those were such nice words about her! My condoleances to her family.

Andreea is going to the hospital today and she will have a C-section on Thursday, or maybe tomorrow, as the doctor said. Cici almost fainted when he heard the news!LOL I am a bit worried, but also happy she will have the proper care. I'm so excited!

Adina

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #7825596

Crissy, I found this info on harvesting potatoes.

http://www.the-organic-gardener.com/harvesting-potatoes.html

53.4 F with 68 for the high.
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 53%
Wind: 4.0 mphfrom the SSE
Wind Gust: 13.0 mph
Pressure: 30.02 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 12000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4593 ft

C-130s have been flying over lately. More than usual. Is something going on about which I wasn't told? ^_^

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #7826031

88 and we have clouds. It's still humis and you sweat just walking around. Hot coffee doesn't help.

Sunfarm, yes, it stilll has beauty and it was smart enough to match the color of the seed cap. I've lost a lot of classmates already myself. Very sad.

Bernie, nice morning temps. Good to tend to the tomatoes now. They sure can get away from you in a day.

Chrissy, it's a gorgeous blue!

Here, the potato tops die back, turning brown. Dig away from the plant to avoid stabbing one. Of course those you stab are the ones you eat first, yum!

Carrots, check the package for growing days then pull one and taste it.

Your corn will bend back up, but not perfectly straight. It's amazing how well corn can upright itself. Tiga's cute!

All your plants look good!

Oh Adina, I'll bet she's very nervous. Will you be leaving soon?

Celia, makes you wonder.

This went zipping over the other day. I wasn't sure if it was Air Care or not.

Thumbnail by billyporter

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
10:50 AM

Post #7826191

I went out last night and looked at the corn last night, and it has! It's hilarious!

We've had a lot of C-130's flying over our house too. Had one fly over that was flying really really low, we were standing outside and could feel the wind behind it it was so low. There's a base in North Little Rock and they definitely fly more in the summer than the winter.
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2010
1:14 PM

Post #7826676

Wind is gusting...the new storm is coming. it was sunny in the morning with a high of 55.

This anemone (appropriately named - windflower!) has its eye on you!

Thumbnail by evelyn_inthegarden

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
1:22 PM

Post #7826701

Eeeeeeek! LOL
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7827858

Hot and humid without a breeze for most of the day. High was in the high 80s again with sun. Then around 3pm storms started firing up and around 3:45 we saw our first drops and when I hit the road at 4:15 it was raining so hard I had a hard time seeing the road and water was ponding on the roads. It was that way all the way home. By 5pm that round was done. We got one more round after that then the rain was done for the day. lol

'Statement' lily leaves turning colors.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 25, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #7828077

61*F
Length Of Visible Light: 21h 31m
The first little Forget-Me-Not is starting to bloom. Our very first flower of the year-so proud of it:)))
Marsue~I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend-I love the little clay pot man.
Ric~Robyn looks quite comfy in the lawn chair-great job.
CG~hope the season picks up for you. They don't know what they are missing w/fresh produce so carefully tended and grown.
evelyn~not good for tomatoes-
Loved all the photos and comments and hi to all I've missed.
First sign of spring and the new season.

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #7828129

OK evelyn that's just Wrong! LOL!

We did have a bit of a breeze.
Topped out in the mid 80's.

Just talked to my Son in Iowa. It was 90 there.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #7828322

Our son gifted me w/ a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate for my laptop.
Slowly getting it installed... 2 hours now... lol!

Found out the name of that furniture.
It's called an English Double Chair.
We got the primer on, still have a few plugs to throw on it.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2010
1:30 AM

Post #7828485

Details for Wednesday, May 26
Partly cloudy. Warm. High 86F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph.
Evening: Partly cloudy. Low 62F. Winds light and variable.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2010
4:00 AM

Post #7828579

68 and we had a bit of rain in the night.

Chrissy, LOL over the corn!

Evelyn, I'm with Celia, eeeeek! That is really neat! I love anemones!

Pepper, that same kind of rain went to the north of us and brought down a tree across the road. We only got a few sprinkles. Neat! Is that the name of the lily? Take a pictures when it blooms.

Kiska, I could use some of that long day myself! You are having the perfect weather that we, who are cooking, want back :o) I love forget me nots and finally planted two this year by my paths. I only hope I kept the Preen far enough away so the seeds grow.

Ric, love the chairs! Where do you find your treasures? Especially the shoe mirror?

We are cool, but humid, so no opening the windows. We could have thunderstorms with heavy rain in places. There's a wide area for flash flood watches, and hopefully, just a high of 81.

Thumbnail by billyporter

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #7828685

Surprisingly comfortable despite relatively high humidity. Temps are perfect: low 80s for highs (but may rise in the next couple of days before a frontal passage) and low 60s overnight. A few clouds have made it tolerable for me to be outside working on a project for DD's significant other--covers for the wooden benches and tabletop for his picnic table in the front yard. The old paint had peeled off, leaving it looking nasty, so I am "slipcovering" it with vinyl upholstery fabric. I had thought the project would be easier than its has proved to be, with several fittings and trips back and forth to the sewing machine.
Cherry harvest is about done. Birds got less than 10% thanks to my vigilance. Now trying to figure out what to do with them. Jam made in 2005 is about gone so I will probably make a fresh batch.

Thumbnail by sunfarm

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2010

Post #7828877

The Chair was a purchase or gift I don't remember which w/ my Ex...
That was about 35 years ago out in the weather ever since.
It's been re-stained or sealed I think twice.
Last 10 years it's been a plant stand basically.

No knot western redwood sure does hold up!

The Shoe Store Mirror, which is mounted upside down, we got in the Medicine Cab section of our used home materials store.
I love mirrors in the yard.
We have a 7' long by 3' wide one coming from my sister.
It was in their Master Bath.

Already 71 here going for 90!

Thumbnail by henryr10

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2010
7:44 AM

Post #7829094

Well I didn't get any pics last night, we had a thunderstorm that just sat on top of us for a while. I watered the garden so it would rain! LOL I'll try again tonight. Was 40 mins late for work because of a wreck, a big rig heading westbound on the interstate cut across the eastbound lanes around 6am this morning and landed nose first into the bushes on the right side of the eastbound side. There's not that much traffic at that time of day, so that's good, but it snarled traffic up big time. They kept closing the freeway for a tow truck to get the rig out of the ditch, but when I drove past the wreck 30 mins later it was still in the bushes and there were no tow trucks there at all, there was one fire truck and one utility truck. What's hilarious is there was a 6 car wreck in traffic that wasn't moving! How do they do that?

Weather's supposed to be the same today that it has been the past few days, 88* with a real feel of 95 and 30% chance of thunderstorms from around 3pm til sunset.

The chair looks awesome!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 26, 2010
9:35 AM

Post #7829466

HI everyone!
The latest news is that Andreea is at the hospital. The doctor sent her in order to have her under observation before they do a C-section which is scheduled for Thursday.
She is anxious and afraid, although I'm not. So, there's no reason to worry! Andreea is well cared in the hospital, but they don't feed her too much and not too well either...just soup with carrots, boiled veggies. Last night dessert was a cake, today was a banana. My DS comes and visits her, also her BF and his family. Her friends are calling and everyone is caring about her...so touching!
I am trying to get everything in order in the garden , I've planted and divided what I had to, so they can get fixed until I leave.
I'm at work now , then tomorrow will be in the morning and that will be the last working day for both me and Cici.
Sending you a new poppy picture. I'll try to catch up with you guys later.
Have a great day!
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2010
9:59 AM

Post #7829552

Sending well-wishes and happy thoughts to you and her!!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2010
12:32 PM

Post #7830037

Adina, I am wishing the best for all of you. Being a grandparent is much more fun than being a parent!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 26, 2010
12:38 PM

Post #7830061

We planted some bell peppers this afternoon. 376 to be exact.

Then I've been working on the waterfall. Here's so far.
Bernie

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 26, 2010
12:39 PM

Post #7830065

Iris are at about peak right now.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 26, 2010
12:40 PM

Post #7830070

Another bed.

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2010
1:56 PM

Post #7830365

Adina I'm hoping for the best for her and you also.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

May 26, 2010
4:22 PM

Post #7830870

Best wishes to you and your daughter, Adina.
Changing times and the time has come for me to cancel my DG sub.
I'll miss you all and I wish the very best for you, as well.

Thumbnail by kiska

cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2010
5:02 PM

Post #7831052

Hello my friends... I had a nice weekend & am also happy to be back. Though I have not checked every post, I understand congratulations are in order to Adina! hugs to you & your daughter.. wishing you all the very best.

It is really hot & humid here now... temps are in the 90's..little chance of rain & I am melting!!!! UGH!

The temps are close to the 80 degree mark when I wake up!! My DH calls me a pansy, as the pansies don't survive in the heat here!!! hahaha.. that's fair enough as I call him a "wuss" when it gets in the 50's as he doesn't like colder temps!! hahahaha
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #7831095

Kiska, Maybe we can meet in another place. It has been fun to hear about your life in Alaska.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7831219

Hot and humid again today. High 80s and sunny, some breeze but not much.

Baptisa blooms.

Thumbnail by pepper23

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2010
6:02 PM

Post #7831247

Hi everyone!

Have you seen this thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1101381/

Like Kiska I won't be renewing my DG membership, not happy about my cubes being shut down :-(

Adina - hugs to you and Andreea! Hope everything goes well!

Rann

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 26, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7831502

I was wondering what happened to you. Missed you & your lovely pictures of Iceland more than I ever missed Dave.
Dave very seldom posted.
Same for kiska. Who's going to post moose pictures.
I'm going to be a die hard Dave's member. I've been here from the beginning & ownership isn't going to be a big deal.
Other sites like Facebook & twitter, do you have any ideas who the owners of those sites are ?
Think about it, who really made this site what it is, the members supplying & sharing their thoughts & knowledge.
Bernie (Not afraid to use my name either.)

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 27, 2010
1:58 AM

Post #7832207

My DD just had her baby and they both are well. Thanks everyone for the kind words and caring .

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 27, 2010
4:09 AM

Post #7832317

Congratulations!
Now you become a grandmother & that means you must start spoiling the baby.
Happy day,
Bernie
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
4:19 AM

Post #7832333

Congratulations Adina! :-)

Thanks Bernie :-) I might hang around until my subscription runs out, I just can't accept their behavior towards c*****, I'm loosing all my work over there so now it's personal. I also don't like the restrictions and the feeling someone's constantly looking over my shoulder.

Yet another sunny day here today. Hildur Eva's sun rash is back ... we were hoping she'd get off easy this year :-( 5 sunny days in a row (or maybe more ? I can't remember, seems like it's been sunny forever! lol) is more than her skin can take though.

Rann

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2010

Post #7832350

Adina!
Congratulations to You and your Daughter!!!

Ric and Robyn

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
4:54 AM

Post #7832389

Oh Adina, a big congratulations! I'm so glad it went well! What is your Grandma name?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2010
8:11 AM

Post #7832806

Congratulations, Bunica, Mamaie, Mamare!!! I don't know which you will be called! LOL

62.9 F with 76 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 30%
Dew Point: 31 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 11.0 mph
Pressure: 29.79 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 9000 ft
Scattered Clouds 13000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 16000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
9:45 AM

Post #7833162

We went in early to get groceries so it would be cool enough to work out when we got back.

We are a balmy 79 with sun. I'm looking at three dishpans of spinach in the garden that need picked.

We picked up a couple of Coleman cots for the boy's to sleep on. The air mattress is too much work for one overnite stay. I think we're going to like them. They have springs and a pad. We both laid on it, in the store and I was very comfortable on my back without a pillow.

I just realized I missed all yesterday's posts. I'll have to read and catch up.

Thumbnail by billyporter

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 27, 2010
11:07 AM

Post #7833432

Thanks guys! I don't know how I'll be called, for now is Mamaie! This is how my children have been calling their grandmas too, adding their name, until my MIL died. They were Mamaie Florica(MIL) and Mamaie Lidia(my mom).
Baby Nicholas looks like his mom. He had 7 lbs and 19 inches at birth. Andreea is well, though sore, but she will be well. She is so excited about the baby!
Here are some pics for those of you who haven't seen them on the other thread . My son took these pics, they aren't too clear, but wait until I get there!LOL
Meet Nicholas.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 27, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #7833694

With his Dad.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 27, 2010
12:32 PM

Post #7833700

My DD .

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
1:52 PM

Post #7833946

Mamaie, he's so beautiful, and I can see your daughter in him. Welcome to the world Nicholas. You have a wonderful life ahead of you with very special folks.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2010
3:21 PM

Post #7834211

How sweet, Mamaie Adina. :-) Congratulations! I know you are just aching to get there and hold that baby for yourself. ^_^

There's a 20% chance of rain tonight... I hope, I hope, I hope!!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 27, 2010
4:03 PM

Post #7834359

I was thinking about starting a C**** about day hikes, but didn't think that I should spend the time. I'm glad now that I didn't. I'd hate to lose all of that work, do I can see how you feel about that, Rann. I hate to lose peeps, too. I'll still be here. I have contributed a lot of pictures to the PlantFiles and it is a useful resourse for me.

Non-typical weather, though I wouldn't call it "rain" exactly.

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on May 27, 2010
60 F
Light Rain
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 53 F
Wind: 6 mph from the NW

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #7834455

80 daylight fading rapidly.

I will not water as there is to be some moisture from the sky.

did some weeding in the garden not all of it but the Onion patch.

One more day - then A four day weekend.

Care to all
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #7834559

Congratulations, Adina, on being Mamaie Adina! It looks like Nicholas is following a long line of handsome Romanian men!
I've been away for too long to comment on anything else much except I'm sorry that some of you will be leaving us. I hope we can keep up with you on that other site (FB).

We have hot days (low 90's, high 80's) with afternoon thundershowers every day for the last 3 days. We had a real "toad strangler" this afternoon, but it didn't last long. One good thing about it is that I don't have to water the plants but I also can't mow the yard! Maybe tomorrow I will be able to get out and do that.

I captured this photo this morning of what I believe is an Eastern Black Swallowtail.
It was feeding on the Hot Lips Salvia--passed up the other flowers in the garden.
It was hard to get a good pic because it kept fluttering its wings, even when it was feeding.

Thumbnail by marsue

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 27, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #7834786

Beautiful baby!
Happy looking mom & dad.

Market was slow again today. I did sell all my eggs. Some tomato plants.
Saturday is going to be a veterans special. First 50 veterans get a $2 coupon to buy eggs. As i am also a veteran, I'm going to offer eggs to any veteran for $2. So a veteran with a coupon will get theirs free.

For you people from other countries, Monday is Memorial Day when all veterans are honored. It's a big holiday here. People visit cemeteries & adorn graves with flowers.

Bernie

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 27, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7834799

Bernie, I saw gladioulus in the floral section of the grocery store today and I thought of you.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 27, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7834803

About a month until ours bloom. Can't wait.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7834926

Still hot and humid but not quite as bad today.

I have 4 glads that actually came up out of probably 10-15 I put out. I have no idea when they will bloom and have no idea what they will look like since I can' t remember which ones I planted there. LOL. They just better bloom for me. LOL

Congrats Adina on your grandson!!!!

One of my new tropical hibiscus. Eye Of Kali

Thumbnail by pepper23

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2010
5:35 AM

Post #7835592

As soon as I went to bed last night, my neck started to get tight on one side, my arm actually hurt and I couldn't make a fist. I couldn't hardly move my arm. I had a sinus headache and chills. Finally, after an hour of muscle tremors, I got up and found another blanket to put over me and got a big glass of water. I didn't sleep at all. I lay in bed till almost 7:00 am and just took an aspirin because I felt a bit urpy. My fingers felt like bones and tendons and I had a picture of my arm being skinny instread of swollen. Sounds like a bad dream doesn't it? LOL!

I had used the pitcher pump last night, but kept my arms close to my side, so I don't know what happened to me, but I was touching my chin to my neck seeing if it was meningitis. My biggest fear.

Today I have the headache and a bit of a sore arm and neck. I knew when I mowed the other day my sinus was feeling funny. I used the neti pot and it helped a little. I'm not supposed to be sick!! I'm so mad!

Mau, one of my favorite butterflies.

Pepper, your hibiscus loks good! It makes me feel better to look at it.

70* and such a white sunlight this morn. After the neighbor's kenneled beagle finally quit ypping till 11:00 pm. the night was so quiet. This morn, the moon was so bright!

I had the camera with me when we went for ice cream and this is what I saw!

Thumbnail by billyporter

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2010
6:03 AM

Post #7835630

A bunny!!! LOL Very nice. Over on the Photo Forum, I have a thread on What I Saw Today... You should post that there. They'd love it!

I hope you aren't too sick. That sucks.

50.8 F with 70 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 80%
Pressure: 29.73 in (Rising)
Clouds: Few 8000 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Betty Boop has her bonnet on!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #7835658

Thanks Celia, I'll have to find the thread later. The morning's a wastin!

Betty Boop is so cute!

(Did you catch the turtle in the lead?) I almost didn't get the camera out in time. They changed quickly.

Have a good day all!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #7835667

I missed the turtle! LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2010
10:59 AM

Post #7836411

If my camera had turned on faster he would have been a little more perfect, LOL!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #7837154

Really neat picture, Sally. Hope you get to feeling better. When I was reading your story, I thought you were going to say that you had a heart attack.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on May 28, 2010
72 F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 22%
Dew Point: 31 F
Wind: 5 mph Variable

some hiking pictures
I have never seen a Santa Monica Mountains firetruck before. There was no fire, so I don't know what was going on. We didn't see anyone.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2010
2:40 PM

Post #7837156

stream orchid

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2010
2:43 PM

Post #7837165

If I have ever seen a lilac mariposa lily before, it was a long time ago.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #7837170

I think it's cute how the sepals curl around

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #7837172

slender sunflower

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #7837176

purple clarkia

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 28, 2010
2:46 PM

Post #7837182

I think this is just a different color phase of purple clarkia

Thumbnail by Kelli

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

May 28, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #7837292

Thanks everyone for welcoming my grandson!
We are all very excited about him and I found myself so full of energy today...on the opposite, my DH felt more like sleeping a lot...he was overwhelmed!LOL
Very hot day today, 90 at noon. We had to go to town and it was o hot on our way back...lucky we have A/C in the car!
Sally, I'm with Kelly, almost thought you had a heart attack or a stroke...grrr! What arm was hurting?
Kelli, wonderful pics!
Celia, love the Betty Boop!
Pepper, your hibiscus is amazing! I missed that one in my article about hibiscus.
Mau, I had a similar butterfly in my garden today!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7837732

I've got a ton going on but expect to get some more shots up tomorrow.

Hot and Humid again.
Our Maters have blossoms and even the Lima Beans have come up!

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2010

Post #7837808

Perfect day today. Temps were probably in the low 80s with clear and sunny skies.

Spent all afternoon moving my mulch around, planting new plants and pulling a few weeds here and there.

Peony that was given to us by my grandma. It's a purplish pink color. Much darker than what the pic shows.

Thumbnail by pepper23

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #7837840

I have a friend and two teens staying with me this week-end so I won't be online much. Just wanted you all to know that I am still around and will be glad when things settle down somewhat, both personally and otherwise, and we can get back to "normal", whatever that is. I'll talk to y'all in a day or two.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #7838022

My peonies should be opening soon. This is the first year for some of them.

I found this Centaurea sport today.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2010
8:08 PM

Post #7838158

Celia keep a close eye on that one!
If it seeds...

Ric

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 28, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #7838197

We planted out our hot peppers today.
88 I think was high. Sun was very hot around 4 to 5 PM.
All set for market tomorrow. Supposed to be a special on eggs, so we have 83 dozen along. Be nice to sell them all.

Bernie

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2010
4:11 AM

Post #7838744

Thanks Kelli, I've got traces of a headache and my wrist is sore, so, no heart attack. It was on my mind tho! My next thought is menengitis for the stiff neck, or Blue Nile since I could feel the changes coming on. It was strange. never felt like that before.

Seeing the fire truck would make you wonder. I love how you find the beauty in the mountains. How many just hike?

Adina, I have to laugh at DH and I love the picture. I think it portrays how you feel right now :o) (It was my right arm and just the right side of my neck.)

Don, do you know how much you will be missed?

Ric, my Dad was wondering if his limas will show. I imagine if your's are his will too ;o)

Pepper, cherish those old flowers. I can imagine how dark it is. And it's beautiful!

It will be good for you to let some of the stress go Mau. Take care and we'll see you later!

Celia, how neat! Mark that plant! New peonies, how exciting!

Bernie how many chickens and what breed? If people get a taste of them shey should all sell. Do they know how long they will keep since they are fresh?

We had a perfect day to sit outside in the breeze for Dad's birthday. Even tho I had sprayed the pan, the lemon bars pulled an Ellie Mae on me, so we laughed as DH tried to get a spatula under them. They were good AND came out of a box. Not homemade :o)

It's 60 and the boys are sleeping soundly on their new cots. It's SO much easier than blowing up the air mattress.
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2010

Post #7838765

BP, should you be checked out for a stroke? I am not a medical professional; just come from a long line of hypochondriacs!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2010
4:58 AM

Post #7838802

I have a Dr. appointment coming up and I'll mention it to her. It was on my mind, but I'm pretty sure it's sinus.

Dyson, I need your input!

(I think I meant West Nile, sheesh.)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2010
6:48 AM

Post #7839015

Blue West Nile?
But then you'd look like an Egyptian Smurf... never mind...

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2010
8:51 AM

Post #7839379

Ric, I need to put a mesh bag over that one. We'll certainly keep an eye on it! LOL

Much cooler today, 60 for the high. Cloudy and breezy.

The mini roses are beginning.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #7839509

Afternoon, all! Sorry I've been MIA for so long & since the other site has been shut down I'll have more time to join in here. The weather here has been great...just like I like it. Morning sun & T-Storms in the afternoon. I got a virus (or several) on my puter so have been w/out for a few weeks. Ric? Do you have any suggestions as to what security system is the best? I have a temporary one set in place, but will need to get something permanant.
I want to congratulate you Adina on the beautiful new member of your family. Many joyful times are ahead for you!
Celia? How is your new GB doing? Have you had much chance to spoil her yet? Hope so! and I suggest you keep it up! :D I realize that she's a little young to spoil, but this is the time to practice! ;)
Mau, So sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. Very sad indeed. We who are saved by the Grace of God will all meet again in a much more glorious place. ;)
Ric, I just poked you! LOL!
Bernie, sounds like you will be very busy again this year...much luck at the market! I would much rather be busy (like yourself) than sitting around doing not much of nothin'.

LOL! Speakin' of 'nothin'...3 weeks ago I fell - So I'm doin' much o' nothin'. Yep, I broke somethin'. Actually I broke 5 bones in my foot & ankle. It's healing, but it sure does hurt, still. I'm healing so well that my 'ortho' said that I could go back to work when I wanted...I just have to try & stay off my foot! LOL!! My boss is trying to set up an office downstairs for me so I can do my paper work. (how nice) Actually it is nice. I'm going rather stir-crazy here at the house. I have been sitting watching the flowers bloom & grow. ;) & taking those wonderful meds! But enough is enough! :D

Sally I hope that you will be OK. I need to go back & reread your post..think I missed something.
Kelli, Gorgeous flower pics!

Well, I promise not to stay gone too long...need to go prop up my foot higher than my heart...BBL

Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 29, 2010
9:56 AM

Post #7839528

Re: the Santa Monica Mountains firetruck - My guess is that they were doing trail maintenance somewhere. (It's a National Park Service truck, not a fire department truck, so they might use it for whatever they need to use it for.) There's always something washed out after the winter rains. Or maybe they are doing some kind of training somewhere. Yesterday would have been a good day for a controlled burn, too, but there wasn't any burning going on.

Good luck with the eggs, Bernie. Do you keep them refrigerated at the market? People are kind of weird about that sometimes. Years ago, I used to get eggs from a little fruit stand (that no longer exists). They were not refrigerated and I never got sick from them. You don't want eggs that have been sitting around for days, of course, but really, how long do they sit under the hen before they are gathered? Many hours sometimes I would think, but I don't know anything about raising eggs.

[quote]pulled an Ellie Mae on me[/quote] What is that???

Very windy today, will probably get hot

Updated: 8:51 AM PDT on May 29, 2010
73 F
Clear
Humidity: 20%
Dew Point: 30 F
Wind: 16 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 24 mph

This is a sucker rose. It came up about 8 feet from the parent plant and actually is in the neighbors' yard. It looks nice now but it only blooms once a year.

Thumbnail by Kelli

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2010
10:47 AM

Post #7839791

best I can figure about the "Ellie Mae" thing, Kelli, is that Ellie Mae on the Beverly Hillbillies was no cook. Granny did all the cooking--LOL

I'm behind so I won't comment on everything but I understand that Christine lost her furry friend while I was away. So sad, Christine.

We have two new "grandbabies", too--Adina's and Celia's and both of them are beautiful (Aurora) and handsome (Nicholas). Lots of good "neck sugar" to be had! :o))

Joey: so sorry about your fall. Has JW kissed your 'boo-boo' and made it all better? I've been wondering where you have been--just haven't had the time to email you to find out.

My week-end company just stayed over one night instead of two which gives me some time to catch up on things around here. :o)) I need to get my lawn mowed if it doesn't rain this afternoon. We have had an afternoon thunder-shower every day this week except for yesterday and I couldn't mow the lawn then due to having company. It's been hot and humid here all week. Currently 89F and overcast.

I was able to sneak outside and take a few pics early this morning. Tiki Torch is performing well for me this season.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2010
10:49 AM

Post #7839795

This is Tomato Surprise, a daylily that was given to me last fall by another DGer, Riverland. She gave me a start of several daylilies and most of them have scapes on them now. :o)) It will be nice to know what kind of bloom each of them produces.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2010
10:51 AM

Post #7839797

Not sure what DL this is--perhaps Stella d'Oro? We bought this two years ago but Buddy threw away the label.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #7839805

This is a holiday week-end for those of us here in the U.S. Everyone have a good Memorial Day week-end!

Gypsy

Thumbnail by marsue

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 29, 2010
11:36 AM

Post #7839927

Just home. Marker went well. Sold lots of eggs & tomato plants. Of course the fresh stuff sold out.
We keep them in coolers here, 45. We put them in pop coolers to take to market. they don't come out until someone buys them.
Biggest problem for eggs is going from very cold, 33 to warm back to cold. That happens all the time with store eggs plus their age is terrible. 3 to 4 weeks before they get to the store shelf. To many change of temps.

Speaking of witch, a dairy farm not far from here was selling raw milk & milk products. (Some people swear up & down that is the only way to go.) People ended up in the hospital with E-coli.
Not sure what is happening there yet.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2010
12:17 PM

Post #7840044

Bernie, we need a new thread, please! glad the market went well for you--that's terrible about the store-bought eggs--sure gives one an incentive to find a local outlet for eggs, doesn't it?
sunfarm
Irvine, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2010
1:07 PM

Post #7840142

Joey, don't give up too quickly on the other place.
Do you know the name of that iris? It looks similar to one in DDs garden. I love the delicate color.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2010
1:18 PM

Post #7840183

Sunfarm, I have no idea...I got it from my cousin 3 years ago & it bloomed right after I planted it then & now, 3 years later. I'm not good for labelling things. Sorriness on my part. But I have no problem remembering 'common names'. LOL! The scientific totally elludes me...and to think I have a science degree.! ;D

Another look...The only beige Iris I've ever seen.

Thumbnail by music2keep

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

May 29, 2010
3:43 PM

Post #7840523

I don't think I'd go for raw milk. At least eggs get cooked.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on May 29, 2010
89 F
Clear
Humidity: 8%
Dew Point: 20 F
Wind: 10 mph from the North
Wind Gust: 17 mph

We went to the Arboretum today. I'll have pictures when the computer is done messin' around.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 29, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #7840668

New thread is here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1102538/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America