May weather, something other than cold & rain.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Let's do a new thread & look for nicer weather, more May like.
Bernie

We came from:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1093173/

This message was edited May 12, 2010 7:36 PM

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Just finished watering - almost dark, timed it just right, no evaporation from direct sunlight. goodnight to all and to all a goodnight!

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the new thread, Bernie. I guess I was writing while you opened this one so closed out the old one with my evening report.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I took the liberty of transferring your post.

"am disappointed that we did not get rain here today, though the radar at a couple of points looked like we should. "Ground truth" said not a drop. It was muggy, and I thought had gone into the 80s, but the MMTS [max/min temperature sensor] that is my official NWS reporting device says it got only to 79.4. There were some ugly storms with up to a couple of inches of rain in northern KY. My rhododendron is past its peak but still colorful."

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well we got about 1 1/2" of rain.
Thunder stopped about noon.
I did get out and do a few things in the yard.
Top dressing w/ manure and a bit of weeding.
Mostly I just tracked down tools and started getting the Workshop organized.
We all the projects we've done in the last year there are tools everywhere.
Plus all the tool bags and boxes are mixed up.
Many time we spend more time hunting than projecting it seems....lol!

T-Storms are mentioned in the forecast for the next 2 days.
W/ a high projected at 86 tomorrow.... they definitely will hit somewhere.

(Zone 5a)

47 and it's raining, been raining all night, and we had some bright lightning around 9:00 pm last night. There is more to come from the south. All my plastic chairs are blown over, but it's balmy this morning! I think we have a change in the weather!!

((((Big hug back Marylyn!)))) Aawww, how cute! I'm sorry all of you have a cold now. Maybe the soup will help. Smiling over sleeping in the car. I'll bet she really looks forward to the camp. Don't forget to pack kleenexes!

Bernie, my box of glads and sack of 4 O'clock tubers are still sitting in the garage. That's too bad about the beans. I hope this isn't going to be the weather pattern of the future.

Pepper, love the purple iris!

Dyson, hope the watering wasn't too big of a job.

Sunfarm, how long can you go without watering the new bridge if there's no rain? Nice pink color on the Rhodie!

Bernie, I'm with you! May had been a disappointment so far, except for plenty of rain :o)

Ric, I love putting things away when there's a place for them! I have no idea how much rain we're going to end up with. I didn't dump the 6/10'' yet, so it will be a continuing total. I see over an inch right now and more is on the way.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

The bridge deck should be fine, as it is over 5" thick and will retain some of its moisture.The humidity is high and we are expecting more rain tomorrow, Cement hydration is a chemical reaction that requires water for the cement in the concrete to continue to gain strength. If people let their concrete dry out, they are wasting as much as a third of its potential strength. The first week is the most important, as the concrete reaches about 2/3 to 3/4 of its strength in that time. In the old days contractors used to keep concrete wet for a week. That was a good practice, but labor intensive. Nowadays they put a "curing compound" barrier film (usually sprayed on after the final finishing) on that prevents escape of the moisture from the concrete. Knowing it was expected to rain, I didn't want to do that with the bridge deck. Concrete technology "lesson of th day."

(Zone 3b)

40*F breezy/w patchy blue sky.
sunfarm~seems the bridge will be ready for use very soon-loved the lesson:)) can never not learn something new everyday...
ric~won't that be great to be more organized. I know I seem to "think" better if items are mostly where they belong and easily accessible. DH and I share a bit of glass space-our glass is different and it's important not to get them mixed up-we're doing pretty well, so far:) He uses stained glass and I use fusing glass.
Dyson~hope you have a good day and are feeling fine.
CG~thanks for the new thread~too bad you'll need to replant some crops.
bp~my gson's friends in Iowa, had hoped he'd see a tornado~I'm glad he didn't; not only for his sake, but all others, too. As I mentioned, he was amazed the lightning. It doesn't happen often here, and as he said, nothing at all like down there.
Marylyn~have fun; hope you're better, too.
Strawberries popping up now.
Couldn't not be part of this wonderful group, so I've renewed my sub. Will have to figure time management more efficiently:))

This message was edited May 13, 2010 6:27 AM

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 7a)

So glad you'll be sticking around, Kiska!!! We would miss you. Give Frank a hug from me.

So much to catch up on. Thanks for the new thread, bridges being built, an education on concrete, and...Darrell says thanks for the car!!!

50.1 F with 58 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 52%
Dew Point: 33 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the East
Wind Gust: 7.0 mph
Pressure: 30.08 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4500 ft
Scattered Clouds 15000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

CA poppies.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Bummer about the beans, Bernie. :-( Nothing beats fresh, homegrown beans. Nope, note even tomatoes.

Quoting:
Concrete technology "lesson of th day."
I can relate. I was a metallurgical engineer. DH still is.

Marylyn, have you ever tried Airborne for colds? I find it helps sometimes. Rite Aid sells their own store brand that costs less. I've not tried it, but for anything else I've tried, the Rite Aid brand works as well as the name brand.

Great irises, Pepper!

Quoting:
Will have to figure time management more efficiently:))
What works for me is to not post on both sites every day. I tend to read both every day and thus something might get forgotten before I post, but that's the way it will have to go. Sometimes (like now) I will just check into a site and leave some comments, but not post my weather or much about what is going on here.

epiphyllum "Sunset Boulevard"

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 5a)

Sunfarm, we pulled off the highway this morning to wash some sort of oil drops off the windshield. While we were there we drove farther and had a peek at the creek. We had to cross a small bridge like yours, and I thought, "I know how they made it!" The lessons have been fun!

Kiska, a peek at the sun and 40 is a good way to start the day. I'm like you, I can't work in clutter. There were plenty of examples of tornados on the news for him to see. I hope to never see one in person either. Too bad he didn't see a dust devil. They're pretty cool. We saw 4 turkeys on the way, and on the way home from town this morning and I thought of him :o) I'm glad you'll be staying! It is hard to split the time up, but check in here and check in there. It works if you don't get too many threads going! Nice new strawberry plants!

Celia, he's welcome! He can gaze at it while his is repaired. Love the leaves on the poppy, besides the bloom.

Wow Kelli, that's quite a job! Your cactus is really going to be full when they are all open! Very pretty!

The rain quit this morning and never returned. I hope to see the sun later, and we have gnats already :o( 68 and cloudy.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

So the moisture from the Gulf is now full of oil ? I thought it would take longer than that.
Maybe the tornadoes the other night sucked the oil into the clouds.
I haven't noticed oily rain here yet.

It is actually getting brighter out. Maybe some sun this afternoon.

Heading for market shortly.

(Zone 5a)

LOL, Bernie! I never thought about that! The truck hasn't been out of the garage in a week. We have no idea what it is. DH is always pointing out the wax stuff he gets on the windshield from the car wash. He hates to use them, but wants to get the salt off in the winter. We were wondering if we're breathing whatever it is.

Hope it's a good market day!

(Zone 3b)

Thanks, kelli/bp, for a method of being in 2 places at once:) Sounds do-able.
My gson is coming over this afternoon for lemon meringue pie-I'll let him know there's a friend in Iowa who thought of him/turkeys. He was also impressed w/farm houses he saw. It was all so new and different for him and I'm glad he enjoyed the area and seeing new things. He is our 2nd oldest, of our 9 gdkids. My oldest is 20 and has been married for a year and a half. They've recently moved down to Washington state, and are also loving the new things to see and do.
Frank is resting and recovery is going very well.
Very windy but sunny.
52*F

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone!Just a quick note...I had to finish an article for DG and Terry asked me to put some footnotes , so I had to do some research because I forgot where I saw the info about which I had to do the footnotes...grrr!
It's raining cats and dogs here with thunders and lightnings, the wind is blowing so hard...a real storm!
Lucky they managed to finish our road. Here is a picture I took a few days ago when they brought the second batch of gravel.
Waving to all! I'll try to catch up tomorrow.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Adina, I'm beginning to think this is the road and bridge construction forum. We could use some of that gravel for our washed-out road.

It got to 86 here today; very muggy, but no rain. Hope we get some tomorrow to help the bridge.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Coolish and wet today. Lots of flooding in the area and for most of the morning we had a drizzle. So it was a miserable morning. This afternoon we finally reached the high 50s and the sun tried to peek out but mostly failed.

Another iris blooming. I think this one is my favorite due to all the colors.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Adina here we call those Speed Bumps! lol!

Beautiful Blooms Kelli!
I just can't get them to bloom.
Trying harder this year.

Hot and Humid today!
84 in early/mid May is crazy!
We might get some more T-Storms tomorrow.
KY is having warnings now..

Ran out of wood but here's the start of our new siding design.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Finally clearing off. Nice strong west wind with the clearing. COLD!

I got to get plants ready for RU tomorrow. Just going for the day so more plants, no suitcases!

Iris blooming, "Sunshine Boy". Came from wandaflowers in Cedar Rapids, IA.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Maybe the picture would help. LOL!

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
(Zone 7a)

Oooo, nice!

Today was nicer than I thought it would be. A small sprinkling of rain and no. more. The sun is shining now. 61

'Batik' iris almost ready.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

For those of you interested, I posted a narrative of my trip to Vernal.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1096862/

(Zone 5a)

46 and we need to run the furnace just to take the chill off. I see a clear sky and the rain is all to the south. The total in the guega for this last storm was 1-6/10''. I'd say we've had our share of rain.

Kiska, I love lemon merangue. I had egg whites left over from the rhubarb custard pie, so I made a white cake. I forgot how far into Iowa he got. I love old farm houses and barns. Soon there won't be many of either left. Good for Frank!

Adina, I've learned to take notes on where I've seen something, because I can never find it again. Luckily you found your info :o) I love how they drop gravel piles to blade out. We have big trucks drive slowly as they dump, trying to spread evenly.

Sunfarm, you probably didn't think anyone would be interested when you first mentioned it :o) Now I've learned how to construct concrete AND log bridges! Is it more correct to say cement or concrete? I grew up with the word cement. I can't believe all the gravel in ditches after a winters worth of snow blading. What a waste!

Pepper, our sun failed yesterday too. (I like how you put that.) Neat iris!

Wow Ric, wood siding, very nice!

Bernie, he's the only bit of sunshine out there, but he's pretty and bright!

Oh Celia, my heart is so full right now. Your story is the most beautiful I've ever read! I'm going to try and keep this feeling for a while.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

BP, you just opened the door for one of my "standard lectures". Many people get confused about the difference between cement and concrete, sometimes using them incorrectly. I cringe when I hear supposed "experts" such as on HGTV or DIY use them incorrectly. Here's the correct info and an easy way to remember:
Cement is the gray powder that makes concrete [or mortar or grout] get hard. There is no such thing as a "cement mixer"-- the big trucks are concrete mixers. If you didn't have cement in the concrete you'd just have a mess of wet sand and rocks!

Think of concrete as being like food. It is made up of different ingredients--sand, stone (crushed stone or gravel), water, cement, and maybe some chemicals for particular purposes such as making it set faster or slower, flow better, or be durable in freezing and thawing weather. If you don;t get the proportions right, you might get something different from what you intended--such as pancake batter instead of muffin batter.

Continuing the food analogy: cement is to concrete as gelatin is to jello. If you don't have cement in the concrete you'd have the mess of wet rocks and sand. If you don't have gelatin in your jello you'd have kool aid!

(Zone 5a)

Thank you Sunfarm! I won't misuse the word again! Especially since our new driveway will be concrete, in June ;o) Now I see even more humor in The Beverly Hillbillies "cement pond," LOL!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sunshine! But cold westerly wind.
43 going to 65

Outside at 6 AM. Lots to do today.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

An easy way is to think of Cement as Glue.
I grew up using Model Cement.
The Cement glues the rocks, sand, etc together. (not exactly accurate but...)
Think of Concrete think solid. It's a Concrete Fact. It's written in Concrete.

Humid 73% and 71 here. That was the low.....
We'll hit upper 70's and possible T-Storms.
Looks like a line of storms is building out of TX.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Good analogies, Ric. Actually the cement used in most concrete is properly called "Portland" cement, as the stuff made with it resembled stone from Portland, England. Most builders and contractors just call it cement.

Cloudy and muggy again. Hope we get some rain as forecast for this afternoon and tonight. Hope it clears by morning for our herb club's plant and bake sale as well as other weekend activities.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I grew up with the wrong usage of cement and concrete, too, though I have corrected myself in recent years. Growing up, my parents had a "cement" driveway. Here I have a concrete driveway. Cement is just one ingredient in concrete, so calling driveways, etc "cement" would be like calling bread "flour".

I pronounce it "suh-ment", like any good Yankee. DH calls it "see-ment" and I tease him about that. He's from TX with MO roots.

I didn't know what the Portland was about in Portland cement. It thought it might have something to do with the town in Oregon.

(Zone 3b)

43*F~overcast/breezy
"See-ment" is how I've always heard it pronounced; nice learning more about the differences and different way of pronouncing it.
hi all~

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

See-ment seems to be a mostly southern thing. That's what I have gotten used to since working with it in Kentucky since the '70s.

Radar is showing lines of thunderstorms both north and south of us, but it is just muggy and partly cloudy here so far, with temperature in the low 80s.

Blackberries are bloomingl DD needs to weed her iris bed.

Thumbnail by sunfarm
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Hot @ 86 a line of storm approaching, but I will be prepared to water if they do not materialize by dark.

Details for Friday, May 14 (Evening)
Evening: Isolated thunderstorms early, mainly cloudy overnight with a few showers. A few storms may be severe early. Low 64F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

* Still not raining @7:30 though the sky looks promising - if I do not see moisture by 7:45 I'll start hauling it.

This message was edited May 14, 2010 6:28 PM

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Perfect day here today. Hint of sun but not full sun so we didn't have to squint much today. lol. Not much of a breeze so we weren't cold and the temps were in the low 70s.

I ended up outside for most of the day today cleaning up after the storms. Had to hose of the sidewalk and parking lot plus water a few plants that weren't getting the rain. I spent the last hour inside catching up on paperwork and sacking. I call it my lazy day. LOL

Cardinal Wysznski clematis. Doesn't look like the pic on my tag but it's still pretty. Niobe which is next to it died this year so I'll have to replace it. I need to hit the nursery where I got cardinal.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

See-ment and See-gars!
And of course the Crick runs under the Bridge.

Beautiful Pep!

Humid and over 80 here today.
Saw our first Bats and Lightning Bugs this evening.

Finally almost got a shot of our new grandbabies....
Not as cute as Celia's but...

Thumbnail by henryr10
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Thunder storms rolled through right after the sun went down yesterday. Total precipitation yesterday less than a inch. good thing I watered - I think I will try to find some material to use for stakes for the tomato plants today, hoping they do well enough to need to be staked. - Also got to change the thermostat in my sister in laws Pontiac.

65 - Details for Saturday, May 15
A mix of clouds and sun. A stray afternoon thunderstorm is possible. High 87F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Evening: Partly cloudy with a slight chance of thunderstorms. Low around 60F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 30%.

(Zone 5a)

Bernie, hope you got all your ''lots to do'' done.

Ric, that's a good way to remember!

Kelli, I believe DH has the corect pronunciation. See, being said fast, with the emphasis on MENT. (teasing :o)

Howdy Kiska!

Sunfarm, nice picture with the iris in the background!

Dyson, I hope you didn't have to water. Well, I guess you did. Good thing you did!

Pepper, lazy day, LOL! When I decide where to put another clematis, I think it's going to have to be a red one. Beautiful!

Ric, we have cricks and creeks here. I like the word crick :o) They are so cute!

It's 47 and a few clouds all over. They're pink with a little bruised purple look to them. It will be in the low 70's, partly sunny with a northeast breeze. It sounds like another day for wearing a coat. We have clouds of gnats now. I tried to sit out last night and it wasn't possible. I mowed yesterday and tried to take pictures in the breeze.

I had an iris bloom that I've never seen before. I was down at Dad's and he has it too. It either came with the iris we got from a lady, or Mom had it. I don't remember planting it and I did all her planting.

I love it!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Everything done & a couple things not on the list.
Leaving for Iowa shortly.
Beautiful day!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Cooler today and the humidity has broken....AHHHHHHHHHHHH.......

Here's one of the Iris we got at an RU two years ago.
It will be moved and we are going to try to expand it's use in the landscape.

In the shade it's almost Black
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Details for Saturday, May 15
A mix of clouds and sun. A stray afternoon thunderstorm is possible. High 86F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.
Evening: Partly cloudy with isolated thunderstorms possible. Low near 60F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 30%.

(Zone 3b)

May 15, 2010 Rise: Set:
Actual Time 5:05 AM AKDT 10:42 PM AKDT
Civil Twilight 3:52 AM AKDT 11:56 PM AKDT
Length Of Visible Light: 20h 03m
Length of Day 17h 36m
Tomorrow will be 5m 13s longer.
42* Blue sky w/patchy clouds.
ric~sounds just like the way we pronounce those words:))
bp~it's beautiful; the pastel shade of purple is gorgeous. Too bad you couldn't enjoy the evening for the gnats.
CG~have a good drive down~
Started making windchimes~

Thumbnail by kiska

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.