Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Growing Asparagus: Good article

Communities > Forums > Article: Growing Asparagus
bookmark
Forum: Article: Growing AsparagusReplies: 5, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

May 13, 2010
3:51 AM

Post #7788886

I wish I could get up the nerve to try and plant some here at the cost.
I love the stuff.

Lavina

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2010
5:05 PM

Post #7790902

Hi Lavina,

We love it too; I was surprised how easy it is to grow!

Happy Gardening,
Diana
Adaylilyfan
York, PA

May 13, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #7791116

Diana: I enjoyed your informative, interesting article.

Lavina: I started a small patch of 25 Jersey Knight roots in a raised bed last spring. This spring, I estimate that I picked around 4 pounds of nice size stems. Asparagus is a fun vegetable to grow because it grows so fast. It's very manageable to grow in a raised bed as Diana pictured. JK
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
3:57 AM

Post #7799755

OK folks I may have to try this.
Is your bed in full sun?

Lavina
Texan99
Rockport, TX

May 17, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7799948

Our beds here in South Texas are not in full sun, but the asparagus doesn't mind. Although we haven't had the nerve to harvest any yet, I think we're going to go for it next spring. Our main problem is that it never freezes enough here to turn the ferns brown. I guess we'll either have to chop the whole patch down in January while it's green, or just get in there and harvest the new shoots in among the mature stalks. We're hoping that the year-round growing season here means that the roots are being thoroughly nourished; in fact, it may not matter very much here when you harvest, as the young shoots tend to come up at random points during the year. We're growing in coastal sandy soil with a deep layer of composted mulch on top. The asparagus is very drought tolerant and has never suffered from any kind of disease or insect predation.
Adaylilyfan
York, PA

May 17, 2010
3:11 PM

Post #7801645

My bed is in full sun in PA, not far from the Maryland line. I can only speak regarding our climate here. Asparagus grows easily here in relatively good soil. It tolerates drought in the summer. It seems to like moisture in the spring when it is growing fast. JK

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Growing Asparagus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Harvest question nedweenie 6 May 19, 2010 6:52 AM
Interesting article DitchLily206 1 May 13, 2010 5:10 PM
Water soluble vitamins JuneyBug 4 May 18, 2010 11:17 PM
Wild asparagus schnauzerlady 3 May 18, 2010 9:43 AM
Skinny Asparagus RDT 2 Jun 14, 2010 6:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America