Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Growing Asparagus: Harvest question

Communities > Forums > Article: Growing Asparagus
bookmark
Forum: Article: Growing AsparagusReplies: 6, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nedweenie
Windsor, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2010
4:40 AM

Post #7788966

I've been harvesting using the bend & snap method, (as opposed to cutting the spear at or below the soil line). Now I have bundles of stubs on my plants. When I am done harvesting, (which will be any day now) should I just leave them be, or shear everything to the ground for a "clean slate"? Thanks~

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 13, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #7790991

Hi, I'm glad you're asking about this, because I'm not really sure of the answer myself. Here at home we have been using culinary shears to cut the asparagus as needed. And like you, our plants have "stubs" now.

From what I have read, asparagus growers cut their asparagus below the soil line and the majority of home growers tend to cut above the soil line. To clarify what to do with above the ground "stubs" I will have to ask an asparagus expert and post back their answer ^_^ Stay tuned...

Thanks for your question,
Diana

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #7804090

Okay, according to asparagus expert, Scott Walker (http://www.walkerplants.com), we should get rid of and remove the dried, dead stubble. Scott says, "The stub that is left, if you are snapping, is a place for disease and insects to start."

I'll have to remove our stubs too. It may be a bit difficult to do with so much new growth nearby. We still plan on harvesting by cutting or snapping because it is more convenient than cutting the asparagus spears below the soil surface.

Hope this helps - Good Luck!
DW

Thumbnail by wind
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nedweenie
Windsor, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2010
12:16 PM

Post #7804726

Thanks~
pededard
Marble Falls, TX

May 18, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #7805081

When is the proper time to stop harvesting? I have heard to stop after six weeks of harvest. I have also heard that you should stop after most new spears are 1/4 inch or smaller in diameter. Last year I stopped six weeks after I started regular harvesting and later I thought I had stopped too soon.

Fred
brtworks
Waynesville, NC
(Zone 6a)

May 18, 2010
3:32 PM

Post #7805251

Hi,

I have another question about harvesting. When should I STOP harvesting so as to not stress the plants?

I have alot of plants that are 5-6 years old and very prolific. Some of our purple ones are 1 1/4" or more in diameter. I made two batches of cream of asparagus soup. Goo-ood stuff!

Caryl

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #7806600

Hi Fred and Caryl,

Asparagus expert Scott D Walker (formerly of Jersey Asparagus Farms, now Walker Brothers, Inc http://www.walkerplants.com) was kind enough to share more of his expertise on when to harvest your asparagus.

The asparagus roots will start to run out of energy as the season goes on. When this happens Walker says, “The spears start to get skinnier and the tips might start to open quicker (maybe at 4-5 inches tall rather than 8 inches tall)." He added, "This is a sign that the roots are low in reserves and it’s about time to stop harvesting.” Generally this happens after 6 to 8 weeks of harvesting a asparagus that is established for at least three years.

Here is a summary of Mr. Walker's suggestions of
When to Harvest your Asparagus:
Keep in mind that weather can change everything, so be prepared to adapt accordingly

Year 1 - planting year - none
Year 2 - if fern reached 4 feet tall or more in previous year then harvest for 7 - 10 days. If it did not reach 4 feet the do not harvest this year.
Year 3 - if harvested last year then harvest for 4 - 5 weeks. If you did not harvest last year then harvest for 3 weeks
Year 4 - if harvested for 4 -5 weeks in previous year, then go full season of 6 - 8 weeks. If harvested for 3 weeks in previous year then harvest for 5 - 6 weeks this year
Year 5 - full season for everyone.

Happy Gardening and thanks again for your inquiries on growing asparagus,
D.Wind

Thumbnail by wind
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Growing Asparagus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good article LavinaMae 5 May 17, 2010 3:11 PM
Interesting article DitchLily206 1 May 13, 2010 5:10 PM
Water soluble vitamins JuneyBug 4 May 18, 2010 11:17 PM
Wild asparagus schnauzerlady 3 May 18, 2010 9:43 AM
Skinny Asparagus RDT 2 Jun 14, 2010 6:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America