Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cameras and Photography: 50D v 7D SOON ... Next week

Communities > Forums > Cameras and Photography
bookmark
Forum: Cameras and PhotographyReplies: 34, Views: 318
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

May 15, 2010
12:58 AM

Post #7794088

Any " current users" of either please ? I know the early 7Ds had a few problems ...

Going for a 70 200 4L IS and looking at lenses around 20 to 80 ish 2.8 L glass .

Don"t worry the old 300D will be around until it falls over .

Holty...
JoanMN
Pine City, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 15, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #7795125

Well, I know you will have some nice lenses! I would love a 50D, or the new Rebel, but I'm glad to have my current Rebel.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2010
7:35 AM

Post #7816434

Hi Holty, I've got a 7D and just love everything about it. I've not had professional training on cameras and my previous camera was a Canon Rebel XTi so I'm not all up on the camera language, but I believe my photos have been pretty good and clear. I haven't had any problem with the camera.

I've taken this camera out on our lake in a kayak and was able to get some decent, clear photos.

I mainly use this camera for bird watching and it has given me great results. Please feel free to see my photos in "Bird Watching". I usually post in "Daily Photos" or "Western Hummingbirds".

Best of luck on whatever you purchase.
holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
12:41 PM

Post #7817244

What lenses are you using with your 7D ?
From what I'm reading some lenses seem to work better on each body ?
As usual TOO many options. :)

holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
1:10 PM

Post #7817297

Had a look at your "Hummers" , nice :) , what lens are you using on these please ?

I can buy "new" a 50D for 1100 AU , a 7D at present is around 2000AU , Me thinks the 50 and spend the extra money on better glass than I can keep long term ?

I'm no pro either and don't need the video etc so I really am answering my own question aren't I !

John...
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 23, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #7819245

John, I have had the 40D for coming up two years. I have really loved this camera, but have been frustrated by some of its limitations. I've been giving serious thought to purchasing one of the full screen bodies, but each time I see ducbucln's photos, I have to resist the urge to rush out and buy one. I have a friend who uses the 50D and once again it's a superb camera. He has been contemplating getting a full frame camera but is now swinging towards the 7D. Have you considered hiring a 7D for a day or two and see what you think.

I have a Canon 70-200mm lens, one of the first I bought. It's OK at short distances, but for my needs (predominantly bird-watching), it just doesn't do it for me. Saying that, others swear by this lens as a good all-rounder. It is also very easy to use and is as light as a feather.

Let us know what you decide on.
holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #7820034

Hi Margaret ,

40 D "limitations" ?

A bit hard to rent from around here , I would have to drive up to Brisbane and back . ( a day trip each way )

Met someone with a 40D and 70 200 who shoots a lot of motorcar racing and will let me play with his gear . ( he is my best option at present . ) Not that I'm into racing cars but want to play with that lens hand held :)

Also have a friend in Sydney who leans towards to a 5D MK11 but she is a pro and loves full frame stuff and I used to drool over her Mamiya 645 she "won" years ago ! A beautiful little camera ..

Thanks for you reply ,

John.

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2010
1:03 PM

Post #7820210

Holty, I have to tell you that you should see the Osprey photos that Margaret has taken with her camera. They're spectacular. Here's one of several continuing posts where she thrilled us with her family of Osprey. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1056583/

I was using a Canon 70-300mm lens up until recently when I got my Canon 100-400mm lens. I have to say, it's just perfect for me and my 7D.
2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

May 23, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #7820872

Holty, I also have the 7D and have had no problems with it. I must confess it was never intended to be my primary camera (I have two 1D Mark III's and a Mark IV). I got the 7D because of the extra pixels and the improved focusing system and from the start planned to use it for indoor stuff, like weddings, conventions and family reunions, and it works very well in that capacity. I also have the 5D, which I also use for indoor shooting. I feel the 7D is by far the superior tool, full frame notwithstanding.

I also have the 70-200 f/2.8 and have used that lens with the 7D also; again, with very good results, especially when shooting indoors. However, I shoot birds mostly and personally do not like the 70-200 for birding. The images are sharp enough but I prefer more reach and the blurred background you can get with the larger primes.

When I first got the 7D I tried it on all my TF lenses and found it acceptable with each of them. I have used the 7D with the 200 f/1.8, the 400 f/4 DO, the 500 f/4 and the 600mm f/4, all with very nice results. And I tried it with my 100-400 zoom also, again with nice results and with none of the problems some people have complained of.

It would have been more convenient fo me had the 7D been designed to use the BP 511 battery, since I have about a dozen of those laying around, but I can live with that. As you can tell, I am totally satisfied with Canon; their product and their service. I have been using their equipment for 10 years and have only had one failure: several years ago a shutter stuck on one of my 40D's but Canon promptly repaired it and the camera still works fine today.

I have to say, when I get a bad picture it is almost always the fault of the shooter, and not the equipment.

Sorry to have written so much. Hopefully in my rambling I touched on some of your concerns.

Dave
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 23, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #7820894

Duc, you're too kind. I just had a look at the link you provided and it's the one that includes Denis' photos, which are simply mind-blowingly beautiful and put my efforts into the shadows.

John, the greatest limitation I've encountered with the 40D is its ISO range. Anything above 640 starts becoming noticeably "noisy". In circumstances where I need to increase the ISO, I'll activate the "High ISO noise reduction" feature, but it slows things down when on burst mode and as I attempt to take a lot of in-flight shots of ospreys, I can only get off 3 or 4 shots, whereas with the 50D and the 7D, this isn't a problem. What I also find limiting on the 40D is having only 9 focus points. I would love to have the 19 (I think it's 19) focus points that the 7D has.

With the 70-200, if you're not going to be using it for bird photography, it's a nice lens.
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 23, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #7820919

Hi Dave. I was typing whilst you were posting. Dave, you should also have a look at Dave's photos, especially his Bluebird ones. They are fantastic. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1092209/

John, Dave's 70-200 is much faster than the one I have. As Dave says, his is f2.8. Mine is f4. When you use your friends equipment, check to see which 70-200 he has.
holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7821330

Thank you ,

Time to get off the fence Holty...:)

I'm thinking a new 7D body and 2nd hand lenses ? .
As all of this is hand held and gets chucked into a backpack on a motorbike or worse F4 L maybe the way to start and have a play for a few months . A 2nd hand lens today wont loose to much in sale price ? maybe ..

Again thanks for your input , you "birders" :)

This "edited" photo was shot from about 100 feet away while she did a "dummy spit" in front of Mum at a shoot .

Thumbnail by holty
Click the image for an enlarged view.

holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7821379

Hanging out of a helicopter at 1000 feet .

Would the 70 200 do both ?

Do you want to be changing lenses down on the beach or hanging out of a Bell Jet Ranger in a 4 point harness
with NO doors :)

Thumbnail by holty

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 23, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #7821430

Quote: Do you want to be changing lenses down on the beach or hanging out of a Bell Jet Ranger in a 4 point harness
with NO doors :)

Sounds like fun. Good shots, Holty. That's sure some sulky little miss, there. In the second shot, the colours are amazing. You've got green stuff on the ground over there.

The 70-200 may well do both, but not knowing your altitude makes it a bit difficult. You look to be at about 200-300 hundred feet. Best to try the lens in the field (or in your case, above it), if you can. The 70-200 f.4 isn't an expensive lens and it is really handy to have anyway.
holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
8:48 PM

Post #7821479

Off topic a little .

Sulky ... Grandma looked at the proof of this 1st and cried ... Mum looked at it 15 minutes later and cried . ... NOT in front of each other ... Can you work it out :)

Been looking at " you birders" photos on this site , long lenses , a tripod and even longer patience maybe ... some photos are simply brilliant ... Well done to all of you ...
holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
9:45 PM

Post #7821607

Splinters in the rear end , nope , 7D body on the way .
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 23, 2010
10:36 PM

Post #7821672

BTW Holty, I hand hold all of my shots, but in deference to torn tendons in both shoulders, am going to get a tripod.
holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
10:53 PM

Post #7821685

Yes Margaret , my friend in Sydney loves the 2.8 or faster stuff but she cant hand hold it all day.

I have a Manfrotto tripod with a 229 3D Super Pro Head but use it with a video to look at my golf swing !

also have Man Mono but find all this stuff too bulky ...

BTW Tripods ( from experience ) look at something you CANT afford and buy the next BETTER one ... especially if you walk away , for even a second ...
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 24, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #7823935

Thanks, John, I'll heed that advice. LOL
holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
11:24 PM

Post #7824970

7D
17-55mm 2.8 IS
70 200 mm 4.0 L IS

Done deal ...

I already have a few lenses in the shorter end but not L glass .

Photos soon after I learn how to fly it :)

Thanks to all .

John...
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 24, 2010
11:35 PM

Post #7824978

Clear for take off, John.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2010
7:08 AM

Post #7825493

John, just wanted to tell you that I loved both of your photos!! Hope you'll enjoy that new camera.
holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
10:46 PM

Post #7828403

Thanks ,

Like I may have mentioned before have been looking at the bird forums / photos , hummers and bluebirds , stunning . Nope better than that ! :)

I'm going to play with the 17 -55 as a walk around and keep a record of of focal lengths used over the next few months . Christmas , and its only MAY !

holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
7:32 PM

Post #7834961

Delivered yesterday,

Nice camera if not a bit light , I will need to put a bottom grip on to balance it more for my hands and the 70 200 lens is EXACTLY what I wanted for most of my photography.

And yes Margaret , if you are a "tinkerer" type person enough focal options to give you a headache.:)

The photo is hand held from about 60 or 70 feet away and tomorrow I am going out to the highway to practice on 100kph vehicle movement "spotting" on number plates etc :)

regards to all ,

John.

Thumbnail by holty

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

May 28, 2010
12:40 AM

Post #7835425

Nice metal pole, John.

I'm glad you have received your camera gear. I was laughing as I thought about you out on the highway tomorrow taking photos. I'll bet you see a whole lot of them slowing down when they see a camera being pointed in their direction.
holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2010
2:01 AM

Post #7835438

How about this metal pole about 600 or 700 metres away :)

Tomorrow they wont even know they are in "frame" .

Thumbnail by holty

holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2010
2:04 AM

Post #7835440

From this :).

I have spent the day playing Margaret and even swapped lenses 7D to 300D , same subject matter . NOW this is very interesting to say the least ...

Thumbnail by holty

holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2010
10:07 PM

Post #7923869

A slow learning curve but having fun . Asked permission to attempt to shot the "trap" being trapped . 70 - 200 hand held. They recon I was about 45 to 55 metres from the trap at impact ..

Thumbnail by holty

holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2010
10:09 PM

Post #7923870

This photo is a bit less alarming .At least they are pointing AWAY from me.

Thumbnail by holty

holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2010
10:16 PM

Post #7923875

I don't think this camera is for everyone unless heading into the top end of amateur / semi pro photography...
It needs good glass and has a LOT of options , maybe too many ?
Anyway only my opinion .
I have fitted a bottom battery grip to help balance it a bit better in "my" hands..

Holty..

This message was edited Jun 27, 2010 3:17 PM

Thumbnail by holty

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2010
11:59 AM

Post #8043456

I have just recieved the 7D and I am not impressed. I have been shooting for years . All canon slr then dslr. I have the 100 to 400 isl lens and have yet to take a decent picture with it. My older rebel xsi takes beautiful pictures with this lens. I tried my 100 macro lens. Still terrible pictures. The shutter is noisy compared to the XSI. Do you think I have a defective camera? I have the tamron 18 -250 and it can not focus with it either. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I haven't tried the 18-55 lens yet but i never use that lens. I have the 70-200L 4. i really haven't used that one much yet but it is not my most used lens. I use the 100-400 for the birds and the 100 for my flowers. these are my favorite lens. I was fixing to order the newer 70-2002.8 II lens but I'm not sure what to do. I am thinking of stepping up to the Mark 5.
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

August 17, 2010
5:15 AM

Post #8044708

Hi River, That does sound defective. I know a lot of people with the 7D and they love it. Hope you can get an exchange.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #8044893

Well I decided to step down from the 7D instead of up. I need the cmos sensor because I can not afford or hold the equivalent lens reach on a full sensor. I am exchanging it for a T21 and the new 70-200. We do not have any camera shops close by that I can try out a camera. I know what to expect from a T21 ( I think). I usually get a new camera every 2-3 years. I have serious glass so I can move up if I want later. The reason I wanted the 7d is they are more rugged and can take the humid conditions that we have all the time here in the south. My XSi is still taking beautiful pictures. I just need a second body to keep from constantly swapping lens.
I have read in several places that the 7d had trouble with the 100-400 lens. That is my most used lens .
holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

August 19, 2010
12:43 AM

Post #8048936

Doesn't excite me either ...

holty
North Coast NSW
Australia
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #8122154

Have shot about 2000 frames to date , updated the firmware to 1.2.2 and am still having auto focus issues . This is with the 70 200 lens hand held from about 100 feet away and looks reasonable . ( Well to my old eyes .:)

Thumbnail by holty

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America