Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-South Gardening: Pictures from Jeri's RU, etc.: 5/14 & 5/16/10

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 155, Views: 1,081
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #7799128

Okay here we go with a new thread for pictures of Jeri's RU.
I just want to say a big THANK YOU to both Cindy and Jeri for hosting us on our trip and inviting us into their homes. Cindy and Jimbo were such gracious hosts as was Jeri when we got to her house. It was wonderful to spend time at each of their homes. We had a great time throughout the whole trip. Seeing everyone who was able to attend was really great. We missed those of you who couldn't come. *sniff* I am really glad I was able to make the trip.
Charlotte's truck was packed with plants, going and coming. I don't know where we would have put Kathy Ann if she had been able to go with us. I guess she would have had to be the hood ornament! LOL

Some of the others have posted the group photos, I will start with photos taken of the sunset over the Ouachita River at Cindy and Jimbo's house.

Thumbnail by marsue
Click the image for an enlarged view.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7799160

This is Cindy with the hostess gifts Charlotte and I took to her. She is wearing the beautiful blue pendant which Charlotte made and holding the yard ornament.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2010
7:17 PM

Post #7799173

some of the others have also posted group photos. Unfortunately, Sandi and Bruce and Karen and Paul didn't get in on the group photos nor did Johnny and Emily because they weren't there at the Burger King where we met before we went to Doug Young Nursery.

Here's Jeri trying to get everyone rounded up for one of our group shots. LOL

This message was edited May 16, 2010 8:28 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 16, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #7799183

Marilyn... I don't know WHERE ya'll would have put Kathy for sure!! NOT TO MENTION the plants she would have had! LOL

I hope your pot man got home safe and sound... I wish I had THOUGHT of him when Jeri and I drove by that second Kleggs ... just wasnt thinking!! THEY might have had one!!

Genna
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #7799191

and another one which shows me telling whoever was using my camera how it works LOL

Mary B, Lisa, Mary D, Jeri, Charlotte, Genna, Becky, Linda, Smock, Marilyn

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 16, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7799203

Mr. Pot Man made it home safe and sound, Genna! :o)) I didn't know there was a second Cleggs. How did Charlotte and I miss that one?

This is what I brought home.
edited to add: I'll post a list tomorrow of the things I bought at Doug Young Nursery and Clegg's.

This message was edited May 16, 2010 8:26 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #7799290

I'll add the photos of our truck before we unloaded.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7799328

You can't see all the stuff in these photos. I bought about 6 different sedums that are covered up with foliage from other plants.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7799334

This one is fuzzy but you can get an idea.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7799344

I got the green pot at Paul Michael's. The top comes off and I can make it into a stand. I got a clay pot I'm going to paint to match the green stand (Cindy's idea). The previous photo had a pot head planter I also got at Paul Michael's.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 16, 2010
8:09 PM

Post #7799352

For some reason I'm having trouble with this posting. Back of truck before unloading.

Thumbnail by cperdue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
4:57 AM

Post #7799858

I can't get over that truck photo Charlotte. where would you hve put all my stuff? on the roof? LOL

Cindy you look fabulous !! Loved the necklace , Charlotte makes some awesome jewelery. Love that lady your holding.

pics are fabulous.

Sounds like I missed some fun, and maybe held onto alot of money too LOL by not going . ;0)
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
5:00 AM

Post #7799861

Marilyn!! You brought home some cute yard art. I love that woman figure standing in the center of your plants. and that pot man, love it, Kenny is suppose to be getting me one of those like Bonnie's.

I missed some fun for sure, but Genna's right, ya'll would have had to stuff me in one of the bags LOL not to mention my plants.

ok, I can't see pics good of the plants you bought, anything special? I may have to go mop up one day with my cutters LOL

I'm headed off to work soon, you ladies have fun unpacking your goods and getting them in the ground. it's been raining here going on 3 days, i'm about ready for some sunshine.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
6:17 AM

Post #7800013

Here's pic of one of the trade tables. I don't know who was swapping cats, but I traded one for a brugmansia.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #7800019

i think this was a small part of Jeri's stash

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #7800029

my corner...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #7800034

Another view of the trade tables

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 17, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #7800035

Marilyn,
Jeri said there were 6 different locations of Cleggs around Baton Rouge. I was trying to figure out how in the world we had looped around to be passing by it and NEVER thought about running in to check on a pot man! But then, that is when we were gone to get lunch so ya'll really did NOT want me stopping at another nursery! LOL

Genna
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7800040

Jeri's beautiful pond...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #7800041

Other side of pond

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7800047

Jeri's Tea House...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 17, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #7800059

Beautiful pictures... Jeri's yard is so beautiful, it is hard for pictures to do it justice! Wish I had taken my camera after I saw her yard - I was trying to descibe it to my husband but it was difficult to do !

Hope ya'll didn't have too much rain on the way home!

Genna
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #7800083

What came home with us... I planted the monardas out front yesterday and will hopefully plant the rest of everything today before it gets too hot. Wish we had had more time to visit.
The Central TX RU is June 5th in San Marcos. I have to do horticultural classifications for the flower show at the botanical gardens June 4th&5th. Going to try to be in two places at once... Not sure how that'll pan out.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #7800092

another view of that gorgeous garden at Jeri's

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7800114

One more before I have to get outside...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #7800172

We watched this thunderstorm for an hour and a half after turning off the Interstate. It had started to fall apart as we approached Austin, thank goodness. Beautiful, but that was close enough...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #7800203

Kathy Ann: you asked if I bought anything special. As far as plants go, the most "special" one, to me, that I bought was a Japanese Maple. It was in the photo above but it didn't show up because it was in the back. I also bought one of those neat-looking yellow shrimp plants. I know it is an annual up here but I am going to put it in a pot and put it in the garage next winter. I don't have any experience with shrimp plants so I don't know if it will survive our winter in a pot in the garage but it is as neat looking plant and will be pretty in the garden this summer. I also bought two neat looking foxtail ferns, one of which I am going to give to my next-door neighbor for keeping Friday for me while I was away. I also bought two little sedums and some other stuff which I can't remember right now. I bought the lady which you mentioned plus a cute bird and a lady bug to put in the new shade bed plus my little pot man which I was thrilled to find (I got the last one they had).

here are the two ferns and the Japanese maple

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
7:43 AM

Post #7800270

Sandi: those are some good photos. I'm so sorry I didn't get a photo of you and Bruce and also Karen, Paul, Emily and Johnny. With all the rain that was "happening" on Saturday, I just didn't take my camera outside because of the moisture and it never occurred to me to get you all together for a group photo inside the house!

This is another view of some of the plants I brought home from the RU plus a few that I bought. You can see the lady bug ornament in the center back and my chicken or bird or whatever it is in the front with the lady to the left. These are the ones I am putting in the back yard. I have others which are going in the beds in the front yard.

Thumbnail by marsue

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 17, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #7800412

Marilyn,
Did you get home with the pieces of the broken pot??

I love the lady bug!! :)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #7800464

I sure did, Genna, and I am going to put one of my new sedums under it. When I get the pot pieces arranged and the sedum planted, I will post a photo. Charlotte posted a photo of the back seat of her pick-up. You can see the sack that the broken pot is in stuffed in there. I may start a new trend of breaking perfectly good pots and "planting" them in your garden. LOLOL
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 17, 2010
9:30 AM

Post #7800602

or maybe just "taking broken pots off the store's hands"... would be even better. I hated it got broken, but was thankful I had brought two door prizes.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #7800730

Yeah, maybe we could find a source for broken pots which the stores want to get rid of, free of charge! Hmmmmm, I may have to go ask somebody in HD's garden dept. what they do with their broken pots. LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 17, 2010
10:50 AM

Post #7800951

I just talked to Becky and they are thinking Lyle's Mom will pass any minute, they are both at the nursing home with her.
Prayers are needed for them now, especially Lyle
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
11:37 AM

Post #7801067

Lots of prayers going up for Lyle and his mom, and the family.

Sounds like ya'll had a ball! I so wish I could have gone but it's to expensive and too little time with me working last Friday and Dave would have had a fit. I tested him after I got home from work on Friday and he told me that I don't need to be driving that far by myself with the weather as dicey as the thunderstorms were supposed to be. pppttttthhhhhh.

Thanks for sharing all of those pics!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
11:47 AM

Post #7801107

Just talked to Becky and she passed about 30 minutes ago. She had such a blessed life to live to 93. Remember her family as they make the final arrangements to celebrate her life.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 17, 2010
1:03 PM

Post #7801282

I am glad that she got up there before she passed, God Bless them all
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
1:11 PM

Post #7801310

The first bombast poppy bloomed today, and I got these seeds off ebay , they were suppose to be turkish bombast poppies, (double flowering) the first one is not bombast , so I'm not sure wht you guys are going to get. Although the flower is georgious. I'm disapointed, I really wanted bombast poppies.

Not sure what I got or what any of you have gotten , it was a mix of colors so perhaps it will be a mix of poppies too.

it's got a huge seed pod though LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
1:32 PM

Post #7801386

KA...thank you so much for the plants you sent. I already planted the arum, parrot lily, monardas, blk knight, and hydrangea. The bamboo will go in a pot until I can figure out a good spot for it. I'll plant the poppy in the front garden where it'll get optimum sunshine. I wasn't sure if it had already bloomed. The one you've posted is gorgeous.

The A. Duelberg "cooked'' when we were stuck on the hwy an hour going back to Jeri's from FH. We had been so careful to keep the truck in the shade, but just couldn't do anything about the accident ahead of us. It may come back for you, if not I'll send you another.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #7801394

Here's the grandson's camo Crocs I planted with succulents. Can't remember who wanted to see 'em!

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7801401

The poppies I sent to you all haven't bloomed yet, this poppy I just posed the pic of is up to my chin. That's how tall it is
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
1:41 PM

Post #7801416

Ohhhh... I'm gonna go plant that puppy right now!!!!!
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 17, 2010
5:14 PM

Post #7801996

I'm loving all the pics. It looks like everyone had a wonderful time. I missed seeing everyone!!!! I wish I could have been there but I had a great time at my sister's in Chicago. We spent two days nursery hopping so I was at least involved with gardening this week if I did have to miss the RU! Came through jackson, Tn on my home today so of course I had to drop by the nurseries there again! lol But I was good and didn't get too much. I came home with more garden art than plants.

Sandra, did you find you a red iochroma? I looked everywhere this weekend but couldn't find a red one.

Cindy, I missed coming to you house too! When Sandra gets to feeling better maybe we can just come for a visit.

I'm sorry I couldn't get my plants there this weekend. I plan to bring the ones that are going to be at KAs.

Terrye

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 17, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #7802013

No I have not even looked--I am going to wait until next spring and order one, I figured they would be hard to find--
Glad to know you made it home safe and sound
sending you a d-mail
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #7802087

Loved all the pictures. Sure would like to make that trip some year. Seems everyone had such a great time as usual. Now we all know why Charlotte has that truck -- she needs it !!! Before too long guess she will be pulling a u-haul behind it. Group shots were great, and really loved that single picture of Cindy on her balcony.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7802151

Hi Terrye & Bonnie we should would love for Yall to come. I understand about your trip to Chicago!!! Sounds like your sister is doing well. You will have to show us all the fines you made on your trip.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
6:49 PM

Post #7802345

What we didn't tell you is how many times we packed and repacked that truck!! It was full when we left Little Rock and on the way down it finally occurred to us that we would be going to Forest Hill before we got to Jeri's and unloaded the truck and the truck was full!!!!. So at Cindy's we took everything out of the truck and I had brought some plastic bins that we packed as tight as we could get it and flipped up the back seat and stacked them in the cab. We still had plants in the back but it gave us some shopping room. Then when we got to Jeri's we took everything out of the truck. Then we made another plant run to a nursery down the road from Jeri's. Mary, Cindy and I went. Marilyn and Jenna had already gone earlier Sat morning. We filled the truck up again with that run. Came back and unloaded again!! Then Sat afternoon we reloaded and packed it as tight as we could get it. Never could get the right side of the back lid to lock. Something was keeping it up ever so slightly but we just had to give up as the other option was unloading and repacking again. Genna and Cindy had to do a lot of packing and repacking too. They didn't show a picture, but they were as packed as we were!

I had to work most of the day, but this afternoon I got a few things in the ground or into pots. I plan to spend the weekend in the yard.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 17, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7802496

Charlotte was being kind when she said "we" packed and unpacked the truck. She did most of the work because she has done that before and really knows how to pack those plants and garden art in there! She had my Japanese Maple and two or three other tall plants standing up on the floor of the back seat of the cab (she has a crew cab). Then she put in the ice chest on the other side and our suitcases and pillows and blankets on top of those. The bed of the pickup was totally full of plants we got at the RU and those we bought at Forest Hill and Clegg's.
I wasn't going to do any work in the garden today because it was hot and very humid but when I took Friday outside about 7 p.m. it was cooler and not as muggy so I planted a few of my plants. I put one of the sedums I bought into my lady bug after I put some of that cocoa mat stuff in it to keep the dirt inside. I'll get a photo of it tomorrow.
I also have a few plants that had no tags with them and I don't know what they are and who gave them to me. I'll get photos of those in the morning and post them here. Maybe somebody can ID them for me.

I need to figure out a way to sit my little pot man on one of the steps to the wooden ladder I have in the shade bed. I need to glue him to one of the steps or fasten him securely some way. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can secure him to one of the wooden steps on the ladder?

This message was edited May 19, 2010 1:45 PM

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #7802535

Here are some of the things I got at Forrest Hill and Cleggats
Flax
Bulbine
an orange and a pink shrimp plant
African Iris (Marilyn and I are splitting it)
Foxtail fern (they wouldn't sell it to me at Rita's and then I found it at Homestead and it was pretty expensive so I decided not to get it so finally I got my foxtail fern)
Little John Bottlebrush
Indigo
Variegated iris
Hummingbird plant
Clerodendrum Thomsoniae "bleeding heart" (this is tall plant sort of like a vine)
Variegated garlic
A justicia with purple looking leaves
Fun Time Pink fushia
trailing penta
a nice size pot of begonia that didn't have a tag but it has a really nice leaf and different from any I have
Crazy Daisy shasta daisy
Big Sky Sundown coneflower
Sunburst Burgundy Picotee Gaillardia
a bronze colored sweet potato vine
Arizona Sun Blanket flower
several sedums
I got a lot of other stuff but that gives you an idea.
My favorites among the group are the Little John Bottle Brush, Indigo and the foxtail fern. I need to post a picture of the Little John Bottle Brush.

'

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #7802570

Marilyn E600 glue should do the trick. It is waterproof and if you ever want to take him up you can pry it up. I figured out how to plant in the back of the head planter. I put a clear plastic cup upside down in the back and then I had a oval tin planter from last year that will fit in the cavity in the back (the cup raises it to just the right height). I'm going to use some E600 glue to attach it so it doesn't fall over. My time ran out tonight but I could get that done.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #7803359

That is so funny, about having to repack the truck, I can see ya'll now. I better be glad I didn't go. LOL

Sounds like Forest hill was a big tropical plant paradise, you got alot of topicals Charlotte.

i've had that bleeding heart vine before, when I had the GH I had the solid one and the variegated one, they are beautiful when in bloom and will drop seed also. the seed is bright red with a blue or black (can't remember ) eye.

Do you remember what sedums you got? I got quite a few when Kim and I went to memphis that friday. some brand new ones, got some of the very very new ones coming from tnn they just put the pics up on their web site a couple days ago for the new sedums. I'm excited. Love those sedums
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2010
5:34 AM

Post #7803411

Thanks for the tip on the E600, Charlotte. I will pick up some of that today.
You need to show us a photo of the head planter.
After reading Charlotte's list above, you know why we were packed to the rim on the way home! LOL Somebody said we should have rented a trailer and believe it or not, we discussed that possibility on the way home (for our next trip)! LOLOL (Charlotte does have a trailer hitch on her truck.)

I'm heading outside after I have my 2nd cup of coffee and some peanut butter toast. It should be a good day weather-wise to get the rest of my plants in the ground. :o))

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
5:42 AM

Post #7803434

I got a couple they just call tricolor. One is green and white and the other has reddish tips rather than white. I got a sedum from someone called a mexican sedum. I also got a couple of just annual sedums.

My bleeding heart vine has blooms on it now and they are white with red at the end of the bloom. Guess that will be the seed.

In the last repacking I broke a few branches off the hummingbird bush and I put some root hormone on them and stuck them in a pot. Looks like they will root fairly easily. I will bring it to you June 5. Yes Forrest Hill was a tropical paradise. I had pretty good luck carrying over some things last winter so hopefully I can keep some of the things I got going. I overwintered 2 fushias that are doing good. A variegated one called Raspberry Ice and another I can't remember off hand without looking.

You do need to make the trip down there sometime. You would have a ball a the nurseries. We wouldn't be able to get you out of them!!!!
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7803608

Too funny Charlotte about the truck repacking. How long of a drive was it for you AR gals ?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #7803705

Long drive! It took us 8 hours to drive back. We did stop several times and also stopped and went in to eat lunch.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
6:47 AM

Post #7803715

Looks like y'all had a wonderful time...and got home with lots of plants ;o)
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2010
6:49 AM

Post #7803732

Wow ! 8 hours in 1 day ! That had to be rough.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #7804892

We talked all the way back so the time passed quickly, Bonnie! LOL

Here is a photo of my lady bug after I stuffed it with cocoa mat, soil and one of the sedums I bought. The sedum is a bit the worse for wear after I poked and prodded it into the lady bug but I am sure it will recover quickly.

Thumbnail by marsue

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 18, 2010
1:32 PM

Post #7804896

That is cute Marilyn, I love that sedum too, Bonnie gave me some of it
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #7804905

This is the snow bush I bought at DYN in Forest Hill with the chicken I bought at Paul Michael Co. in Monroe, LA.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2010
1:39 PM

Post #7804914

Thanks, Sandra. I really like the different sedums. I bought two of the Stonecrop sedum and Becky gave me a different one at the RU.

This is a close-up of the Japanese Maple which I also bought at DYN.

You can also see behind the shed. I bagged up a bunch of oak leaves and cleaned it up back there. I have planted some of the plants back there which I got from the RU, including two ferns and several EE pups. Charlotte had previously given me some hostas and some toad lilies and the Solomon's Seal which I also have behind the shed. I've left room for a path down the middle.

This message was edited May 18, 2010 2:41 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #7804930

This is a view of the new shade bed with the lady mannequin next to the shed. I also bought the mannequin at Paul Michael Co. I think it was Cindy who suggested I put a vine next to the mannequin to grow up the post. I would need a vine that would grow in the shade. I don't want to put the mannequin in the front flower beds because it would be too much of a temptation for somebody to steal it in the middle of the night.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2010
1:50 PM

Post #7804936

I need an ID on these plants. There was no tag in either of them. I don't know if they were given to me or if I am supposed to give them to Kathy Ann. I also don't know what kind of plants they are. Does anybody recognize these?

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2010
1:51 PM

Post #7804941

Here is another one with two plants that I need to know about. Anybody recognize these?

Thumbnail by marsue

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #7805062

LOL Poor Charlotte and Marilyn and everyone else who had to pack, unpack, pack, unpack, and pack again. I've had to do that before and it is no fun, and I'm horrible at packing.

Yes, I realize that Dave didn't want me to go because I'm a nerd and told him about all the plant shopping, I'm positive that's it! LOL!!!!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
2:43 PM

Post #7805107

i'm not sure abou tthat plant in the cup , it's pretty though the other is a heuchera and it needs shade

That top pic your asking about, to give to me? I have those sensative ferns, that's what they look like. I don't think I asked for any more of them

Love that little plant in the cup. that's neat looking

I know you weren't asking me but I thought i'd help with the id's LOL

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7805264

I don't remember who but someone sent those first two ferns to Kathy Ann.

Like Kathy Ann said the plant in the second photo is a heuchera (coral bells). You bought it at Doug Young's. I bought one also. Don't have any idea what is in the cup.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
3:41 PM

Post #7805269

You bought that plant and you don't remember where it came from? you are so bad LOL

sound like me.

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2010
4:21 PM

Post #7805337

I believe the unidentified ferns are cinnamon ferns. Probably from Becky...
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #7805409

LOL your right, I did ask for cinnamon fern. that is cinnamon fern too he he. Sensative looks a little like that.

it's MINE!! LOL save it for me Marilyn, you can have one too if you want one.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2010
5:29 PM

Post #7805496

Well, I did ask for a cinnamon fern and one other fern. I planted two ferns but they both look alike so I guess one of the cinnamon ferns is mine and one of the other ferns I planted is yours, Kathy Ann.
I thought the heuchera was mine, I just thought it was some kind of geranium and I didn't remember buying a geranium, LOL. I didn't remember buying a heuchera either--LOL again. I have a coral bells heuchera but its leaves are not variegated like that one in the post above so I guess I bought the one in the photo because I thought I needed one that was different. It was sort of like a "feeding frenzy" when we were at those nurseries. Somebody would find something that looked really neat and different and then we would all go "oooooo, I like that, I want one, too!" LOL I had a list of the stuff I bought at doug young's but I think I left it in your car, Charlotte. Then we went to another nursery down the road and bought some plants there, too, and when we got to Jeri's we discovered a nursery just down the road from her (Clegg's). That is where I found my pot man but I bought a couple of small plants there, as well.

Today I planted some of my other stuff and I discovered the Indian Summer rudbeckia which I bought at one of those other nurseries. It is in the ground now.
I still have to plant my shrimp plant but I wanted to ask somebody if it is shade or sun and do I need to put it in the ground or in a pot?
I spent a total of 6 1/2 hours in the yard today starting at 8:15 this morning. I came in at 12:;45 and rested till about 4. Then I went out and mowed the entire yard and after that I dug up some clerodendrum bungeii that had jumped the bed and were growing next to the moss-covered rocks that line the flower bed. I have six of those if any of you want them at KA's mini-ru. I have 5 small torch lilies already potted up, too. I guess I need to add those to my trade list on KA's thread. I'm getting my threads mixed-up. LOL

This message was edited May 18, 2010 6:36 PM
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #7805522

Shrimp plant would do well in partial shade. Plant it in the ground. Each of the bracks will root if you pin it to the ground. If it doesn't survive the winter, I can send you more. If it gets leggy, just cut it back and pot up the cuttings. they should root nicely.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
5:44 PM

Post #7805536

LOL I've pulled up about 20 of the clerodendrum bungii and threw it in the woods a few days ago. along with all the chinese lanterns I guess I need to get the lanterns off my trade list. cause their GONE!

Im easy on the ferns, do not dig up what you've planted. it's no big deal to me. ;0)

don't forget to bring me some rose cuttings for me to try ;0)

I was off today and worked outside all day too.

your lucky , it took 3 of us to mow the yard last week and took us 2 to 3 hrs to mow and weedeat 5 acres. and we still have to do it again before my RU

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7805660

Marilyn I have a shrimp plant I've had for several years. The first year I planted it in the ground and then covered it real well with pine straw for the winter. It lived but it was late coming back and didn't do much at all last summer. So I dug it up and put it in a pot and put it in my little green house this winter. It started coming out as soon as I took it out of the greenhouse and put out some buds but it was really leggy so I cut it back. I should have cut it back as soon as I took it out of the greenhouse. All that to say, that I would suggest putting it in a pot and bringing it in for the winter.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
6:36 AM

Post #7806554

Thanks, Charlotte. Sandi is in zone 8b so her shrimp plant might survive their winters but I'm not sure about ours here in zone 7b. I will put it in a pot.

Kathy Ann, I certainly don't have 6 acres to mow, thank goodness. It does take me about 45 minutes to mow my yard on the riding mower, though, and that doesn't count the weed-eating and the areas I cut with the push mower. I need to weed-eat today but I just hate to sweat! LOLOL Oh, well, I better get with it!
beck5711
(Becky) Colmesneil, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2010
6:51 AM

Post #7806597

I finally got internet here in TN! Was a looong rainy drive to get here, but got here safe. Thanks girls for making me feel right at home at the RU. And Thanks for all the nice plants... I have them out under a tree and they seem happy! Jei... thank you so much for hostessing the RU and inviting me to stay with y'all Saturday night. You will never know how you girls helped take my mind off what I knew was coming , and I'll be eternally grateful to all of you!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 19, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #7806795

Becky,
So sorry about your MIL but I was glad to hear that you had a safe trip and was able to be there during that time. It was great to meet you! I was also glad to hear that you decided to stay at Jeri's Sat night and rest a little before that long drive.

Genna

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2010
8:11 AM

Post #7806858

You are all quiet welcome!!! I can not tell Yall how much I enjoyed the entire RU. I so appreciate all the miles that I know each one of you traveled and I thank the good Lord that they were all made safely!!!!

Becky I'm so glad that your MIL waited to say goodbye before her passing. I know that meant a lot to you and Lyle!! I hope Lyle is OK!!! Please tell him that Yall are in my prayers!!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #7806932

Sorry I haven't been on. Can't sit here having a few back problems.

Kathy Ann I got my wonderful plants from you. I am so grateful. I really missed having the different colors of Louisiana Iris this year. Next year will be beautiful with all of those you sent. I would like to thank Charlotte and Marilyn for transporting them here. I wish we could have had more time to spend here. I am not as far as Jeri so if any of you would like to come here spend the night and go to Forresthill , which is 100 miles from me, you are welcome.

I bought a lot more at Cleggs this year than Forresthill. Most of the things I bought were annuals. Petunias, Caladiums, Coleus, Fuchsias, and Shrimp plant. I did buy some Cajun Hibiscus at Doug Youngs. They were on closeout because they couldn't keep them separated from the regular ones. I bought my sister a nice jackmania (sp) clematis and a white one for myself. A red passion vine too. It was fun helping Genna learn plant names and the conditions they like. We never left Doug Youngs nursery Fri. and never looked at it all.

Marilyn you do know the snowbush is tropical? I'm not sure but the foliage in the white cup looks like some form of Senna, Cassia. I believe Linda was giving some of those away.

Beck I'm sorry for your loss. May God grant you and Lyle comfort to your heart. Be safe driving home. I know that was a long hard drive from Jeri's to Tenn. I sure enjoyed meeting you this time. I hope next time we both will stay the night so I can get to know you better.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
10:48 AM

Post #7807460

Cindy I'm glad I had something you wanted!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #7807709

Becky, I am sorry about your MIL and I pray that Lyle and you and the entire family are holding up through it all. I am so glad you made it to TN before your MIL went "home". It was good to meet you face-to-face. Thank you for all the plants you brought me. I know I will be enjoying them for a long time.

No, Cindy, I was not aware that the snow bush is a tropical. I suppose I will have to dig it up and put it in the garage this coming winter. I was trying to avoid tropicals but I did get home with the snow bush and the shrimp plant--just couldn't pass up either one of them. LOL

I managed to get some more plants in the ground today after I did my weed-eating and then some hand-weeding. I still have a few more to plant but that will have to wait until tomorrow. I was outside for about 7 hours yesterday and about 4 hours this morning and I am pooped! I still have to go and get some of that E600 glue so I can glue the pot man to the ladder.

Genna, here is the broken pot. I put it around a sweet potato vine which I planted before the RU. I tried to make it look like I had dropped the pot with the vine in it.

Thumbnail by marsue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
12:52 PM

Post #7807778

I heard that you can save seed off that cassia and replant it next year, I've always wanted to grow that cause it's great for the butterflies but it won't come back for me. i'm thinking it won't for you either Marilyn , but you could save seed and plant it again next year, I think that's what kenny does to his.

I also think it's a larvae food for some certain butterfly but don't quote me on that.

what kind of snowbush are we talking about? sounds interesting.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
1:26 PM

Post #7807852

This is it, KA. It's the little green and white plant in front of the 'chicken'.

Thumbnail by marsue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7807908

What chicken LOL that's a chicken? Just playing, is that plant variegated? it's so neat looking.

it's called a snowbush?

Cindy you must tell me about it. sounds neat.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
1:50 PM

Post #7807919

or is that snowbush something you bought? I just looked it up on the net, it's neat looking.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 19, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #7808030

Ruth is still not doing well, she has had an allergic reaction to something, went to the doc yesterday and got 2 shots and medicine and then had to go back today as it is worse. He wanted to put her in the hospital, but she would not go--said if she is not better tomorrow she will.
She is broke out all over and itching and not sleeping, just pretty much miserable !!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
2:54 PM

Post #7808071

So sorry to hear that Ruth is having so many problems!! Sure hope they get her on the road to recovery soon. Has she gotten the results of the tests they did?

Kathy Ann I got the snowball bush also. I understand it is in the hibiscus family. The leaves are varigated and it also has some small white blooms.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
2:54 PM

Post #7808075

Poor ruth, she goes through so much. I feel for her. Hope she feels better soon

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 19, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7808087

Yes, they told her the blockage was not enough to do any surgery on.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7808206

Ruth I'm sorry to hear you are having such a bad time!!! They don't have any idea what caused the allergic reaction? I'm very glad to hear the good news on no blockages!!! Prayers have been answered for sure!!!!

Just got back from the Dr. with Mary and her CA125 has elevated to 180 from 112 but she has had 2 z-pacs for sinus infections in the last 3 months and that could affect the #'s. She has also developed another hernia in the middle of her stomach. He ordered some more CT scans with dye to determine exactly what is going on and did not put her back on the tamimoxophen for the time being anyway.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
3:58 PM

Post #7808225

So sorry to hear about Ruth's latest troubles. I've had hives really bad before and it is a miserable feeling to itch so badly! I hope the docs have gotten to the bottom of the problem, Ruth and that the itching has stopped. Glad to hear the blockage was not bad enough to do surgery.

I think Charlotte and I bought that snow bush at Doug Young Nursery.

I don't know if that is a chicken, Kathy Ann, but it is some kind of bird so I am calling it a chicken! LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 19, 2010
4:51 PM

Post #7808400

Jeri, isn't that low still though ? Poor Mary, I know she is so tired of being poked and prodded.

I think Jeri gave Terrye a cutting of that snow bush, she kept if for a couple of years and got tired of carrying it in, it was beautiful at her house

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #7809001

A normal CA125 is around 30 so it is higher but when they found the cancer in her 2 years ago today her #'s were around 5000 so this is a lot lower.

I never could get the Hawaiian Snow Bush to root. I gave Terrye a seedling that popped up under my bush, apparently they are very fertile. LOL!!!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 19, 2010
8:08 PM

Post #7809179

That snow bush is cute! Didn't see it but I am sure Cindy was steering me away from it since it isn't hardy for me! LOL she was TRYING to keep me "focused" and having a difficult time.

Marilyn - love the pot! It looks really cute! Amazing what you can do with a broken pot,...

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 20, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #7809969

I lost my snowbush this winter when the window to my sunroom got opened when the weather was in single digits. I lost several things that week: black ginger, mexican sage, several hibiscus, Hawaiian Bells vine from KA, rabbit foot fern, Blue Sky vine, Persian Shield and several others.
Jeri, I could never root the snowbush either but it would always have a baby or two when I dug it up to take in for the winter.

Ruth, so sorry you're still not feeling well. Thoses hives can be awful. Take care.

Marilyn, I like your pot! That's what I did with my head planter I broke. It actually looked pretty good in pieces.

I could never get seeds off of my cassia senna. The frost would always get it before the seeds matured.

Terrye
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
6:37 AM

Post #7810046

I bought that hawaiian bells vine again this year, mine is small , the ebayer I got it from didn't have it earlier in the year or I would hav bought it earlier, wish it would hurry up and grow up, i'm going to try to over winter it in the garage this winter. Love the flowers.

I'm gonna have to look into getting one of those snowbushes, they are beautiful! even if they are tropical.

I can see me now, storing my tropicals in the garage again. which is why danny built the greenhouse for me in the first place. HUM!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 20, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #7810050

Terrye, how are you feeling? hope you are feeling better...

Marilyn's broken pot was one of my door prizes that I took that made the trip down there and then got knocked off the table and broken before it had a chance to be chosen.

Ruth, hope you are feeling better this morning!

Jeri - sorry to hear that Mary's results were not more like she was wanting... when will she find out more info about what they do next?

Hope everyone has a great day! Looks like more thunderstorms here...
Genna

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2010
6:58 AM

Post #7810095

KA HUM... LOL!!

Ruth tell Lamar to let us know how you are doing.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 20, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #7810238

I'm better. Thanks, Gen. My foot is still sore but I am back in regular shoes, for work anyway! Then they have to come off and the sandals go back on.

KA, Ray was actually going to look for a greenhouse for me but I told him no. If I get one I'll just fill it up and I am DOWNSIZING! (I have to keep reminding myself) lol

Terrye
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
7:54 AM

Post #7810252

yep, I know what you mean. I'm downsizing too, you know with the new huge flower garden in the side yard I'm downsizing :0)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #7810292

yes, KA, you are downsizing to a new flower bed. LOL I keep thinking I want to put in a new bed along the fence to the north side of my back yard. It would be a great place for cannas and daylilies and iris' but then I think I would be making more work for myself. Then I tell myself it would be less yard to mow and weed-eat. I still haven't talked myself into doing it even though my neighbor said it was okay with him. (He actually owns about 2 feet on my side of the fence but it angles from the corner at the back of our property out to about 2 feet at the front end of the fence. He said he would give it to me, but he hasn't come forth with anything on paper, which he said he would do. It's no big deal, either way.)

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #7810546

Marilyn this is the Hawaiian Snow Bush that you have

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2004/

Do you have enough room for it to get that big?

I treat mine as a hibiscus.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2010
10:41 AM

Post #7810795

Jeri, I have enough room for it to get that big but not where I planted it. If it makes it through our winter next year, which I doubt it will, I will definitely have to move it.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2010
11:19 AM

Post #7810887

Mine didn't make it at 17 degrees. I replaced it this year.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2010
12:13 PM

Post #7811089

I lost mine in the very mild winter of 2008. I didn't know it was a tropical so I didn't prepare it for winter. It is such an inexpensive plant that it could be treated as an annual. It gets pretty large in one year. Not quite as large as
haight ashbury hibiscus.

Boy we have had nearly tornado force winds here today. It has destroyed many of my pots by turning them over and slamming the chairs on top of them. I thought the winds were bad yesterday but today has been much worse. I could hardly open my car door to get out when I got home from the Dr. It was really black and scarey looking. We didn't get any rain out of it. Right now we are down to high wind gust instead of continuous. On this river we get many days like this and it is what I haven't done a lot of pots over the years. I had hoped doing really big pots would help but they went over too. Mother Nature is really mad at me this year. Two weeks ago my shelving unit with around 100 daylily seedling went over in the wind dumping all the pots and the parents names went everywhere. I have no idea who the parents are to the seedlings now. The Dr said no bending, lifting, or pulling. Yeah right.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2010
12:59 PM

Post #7811189

Oh Cindy I'm trying to listen to him too!!! You sure don't want to mess anything up!!!! We've had rain storms the last 2 days you would not believe. I think 3 inches yesterday in about 20 minutes. Cindy I hate that happened with your shelving unit. That will be one hard task to figure that one out.

Hope Ruth's rash is better today !!!
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 20, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #7811191

Sorry about your pots Cindy. The weather has looked really rough here all day but thankfully so far it has just been rain!

Did you go to the doctor about your back? I tried to get the doctor's to change my MRI orders so I could have my back done at the same time as my knee...but they wouldn't do that! My back is getting worse and of course all this digging and planting doesn't help! But, then it has to be done!

Hope you get to feeling better!

Genna

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 20, 2010
1:20 PM

Post #7811246

Girls--I feel your pain, these old back are wearing out I guess.
I hope everyone soon gets to feeling better
Ruth said she was still scratching--but a little better today
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2010
1:47 PM

Post #7811331

I'm so sorry about your pots, too, Cindy, but you need to listen to the doctor and take care of Cindy. The pots and the flowers will wait.
We had rain off-and-on all morning but the clouds are going away now and the sun is shining. I haven't been outside since about 2 p.m. when I came in from Wal-Mart. I imagine it is starting to get steamy out there now.

I'm glad to hear that Ruth's itching has calmed down some.

It seems like several of our DG folk have back problems. :o(( I wish there were some way I could "make it all better" for each of you but I'm not a doctor and I am certainly not God. Those matters are much better left in His hands. I do pray for you all every day.

I think I am going to move my snow bush in the next day or two before it has a chance to get established in the spot where I put it. At least I can give it some room to grow.

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
2:04 PM

Post #7811366

I hope you dig it this fall marilyn and store it in side , that's too beautiful to take a chance with LOL
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #7811448

I'm glad to hear Ruth is better. Itching all over must be miserable. Yes Genna it was about my back. I am down for an MRI June 1st but will probably not know anything from it until I go to the pain clinic on the 16th. I am not expecting anything to really show up. I have some knots right side of tailbone and the nerve pain down my leg is getting worse. I have had bursitis that has trapped the nerve before recurrently but they do not want to shoot anything into the bursa anymore without a look at what is going on. The last 6 months it has been different so the MRI. It is one of the reasons I came back early from Jeri's. I'm sure mine is nothing like Genna's and Sandra's that have already had back surgery. i will not be doing any lifting but I do have to mop and cook so life goes on.

We lost trim off the house in the winds today.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2010
3:53 PM

Post #7811656

We are getting bombarded again high winds lightening and rain so I will be off awhile hope you are all ok.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #7811669

Cindy you must have had really high winds to tear some of your siding off also. Sorry about your pots!!! You would think that the big pots would not blow over that easy. Try to do what your dr says. I know it is hard not to lift, bend and all that stuff.

Glad to hear Ruth is doing a little better.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 20, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #7811742

Now Cindy, pain is pain--and it hurts !!! I know we all have different pain tolerances too
everyone is different in that respect---but when you hurt, you hurt and need to get help.
I am not in near the pain I have been in in days gone by with my back--if I was I would have been begging someone to do something--now I am avoiding the doc's and don't want to go. I really think mine is going to get better on its own.
My surgeon in Tupelo had an article in the paper on Sunday, about teaching other doctors some of his procedures, he keeps very accurate records and follow ups on all his surgeries. He really impressed me with data of his own work, the first time I saw him. In this article he said "back pain is not an uncommon thing, a lot of people have back pain. Some will heal on its own in 3-6 months-if not then you should seek a solution. "
My back started (this spell) hurting on Feb 9th after I had gone to bed, so I figure I have 3 more months, if not better then, I guess I will go and see him.
gardener2005
Baton Rouge area, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7812195

Hey cindy, You take care. Have you ever tried wide, short squatty pots? They have a low center of gravity and tend to stay put at least here with the hurricanes mine did. Just a idea! Karen

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
8:32 PM

Post #7812410

I can see why Cindy has such trouble with the wind blowing her pots over. She is so high up and nothing to break the wind. Also she is on a high bank with little to break the wind on the ground.
yardbird
Maben, MS
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
3:04 AM

Post #7812721

Thanks for all the well wishing for me, I'm much better but still can't sleep but don't want to try any new meds this reaction was worse than any of the others I have had. Love you guys.

Ruth
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2010
4:17 AM

Post #7812760

Ruth I am sorry you are not sleeping. I had hoped you would be clear of the reaction today. Still keeping you close to my heart my friend.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 21, 2010
5:53 AM

Post #7812974

Ruth - glad you are feeling better, but hope you are able to get some rest soon. I don't blame you on not wanting to try new meds - that itching is no fun! Hope you continue to feel better.

Cindy - sorry to hear about all the pain. I am with Sandra, pain is pain and NONE of it is fun...but apparently part of living this long! (and hopefully longer) Hope they are able to pinpoint the problem and resolve it for you. I am sure if I end up having to go to the back surgeon that they will want to cut on me again, but I REALLY don't want that again! I am having lots of problems in the same area as the previous two surgeries - what really has me nervous is that for the past week or so, I am also having pain up higher than that... But, I am like Sandra, and TRYING to wait to see how it goes.
I figure I have had enough surgeries for 2 or 3 people and I really don't want anymore!

Hope the winds have died down and that you didn't have any more damage. We got a little rain, but not much considering how ominous the clouds looked all day!

Genna

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7815359

The Dr put me on a medrodose pack and I can already tell it is working. So I am pretty sure it was bursitis pinching the nerve again. I hate taking the steroids but it seems to be the only thing that works.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 21, 2010
7:12 PM

Post #7815373

Glad to know you are feeling better. You sure need to watch that heavy lifting though !!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #7815499

Yes Mama

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #7815736

Glad to hear you are feeling better Cindy!
busybee
Kentwood, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2010
9:58 PM

Post #7815777

Ruth I am so glad you are doing better. I have been so worried about you. Big hugs and you are always in my prayers.

Marlyn, That is a cassia. I had brought several to the round-up but don't think I had them on my list. I an late getting on here again but I have trouble sitting in this chair for very long.

This is melapodium,alamanda, shrimp plant and bottle brush in the far left. I didn;t realize I had bought so many yellow plants until I got home and unloaded them.

Thumbnail by busybee

busybee
Kentwood, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2010
10:05 PM

Post #7815789

The pink plant is a coleus. It has varigated long narrow leaves. I broke a couple of limbs off trying to repot it and they perked right up and look like they will root.

Thumbnail by busybee

busybee
Kentwood, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2010
10:14 PM

Post #7815810

This is Henna coleus. The red undersides and chartruce tops look striking together. It also cme from Cleggs.

Thumbnail by busybee

busybee
Kentwood, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2010
10:21 PM

Post #7815822

The green plants (Duranta) came from FH but the pentas came from Cleggs.

Thumbnail by busybee

busybee
Kentwood, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2010
10:31 PM

Post #7815845

Butterfly weed in front, caladiums.copperplant, two more different colored pentas and a varigated copper plant.

Thumbnail by busybee

busybee
Kentwood, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2010
10:38 PM

Post #7815853

Verigated pepper plant.

Thumbnail by busybee

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #7816176

Mary, you got some pretty plants, that henna coleus is beautiful.

Cindy, someone as to try to keep you in line. I have to try--LOL---

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2010
5:45 AM

Post #7816219

And then who will keep Sandra in line? LOL!!! I think I may need help here!!!

Mary my color this year is orange. I have managed to put some in almost every bed.

This is my rattle box tree from Cindy. It was in full bloom but I don't think anyone made it out front.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2010
5:48 AM

Post #7816227

Here is my latest project with the hummingbird bush and ixoras. I still haven't managed the 3 gal. holes yet. LOL!!!

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2010
5:49 AM

Post #7816231

Just have to show you my Vermeer Cala lillies.

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2010
5:51 AM

Post #7816234

This tiny rose bush blooms once a year and it was the week before the RU. LOL!!!

Thumbnail by jeri11

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #7816237

This is the fountain this year.

Thumbnail by jeri11

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
6:13 AM

Post #7816268

HA HA HA Jeri---make that another that needs someone to take care of them--
I hope we can all be in the same nursing home when the time comes, then we can see after each other !!!!!!!!!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #7816272

Jeri you need some help getting those 3 gallon holes dug!! That's a beautiful rose bush!

I'm headed back out this morning. I worked all day yesterday. I hope by the end of the day today, I will have everything in the ground and my patio and deck cleaned off.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2010
7:43 AM

Post #7816456

LOL!! Charlotte one could only hope for all plants to be planted and patio and deck cleaned off!!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
8:08 AM

Post #7816515

Thanks for saying it for me Jeri!! I left out the word HOPE when I was typing! Hope is right! I have a feeling it's not going to happen. Maybe by the end of the day tomorrow! I came in for a break. Going to be really hot today and very humid!! I am making progress!!!

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2010
12:23 PM

Post #7817183

I had another plant sale today so other than a little watering nothing accomplished!!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #7817981

Mary, thanks for IDing that plant for me. Looks like you made it home with quite a few plants, yourself!
Love your photos, Jeri! I know I made it around to all of your garden in the back but I do not remember seeing those birds on the fence. There is so much to see in your garden that it is hard to take it all in at one time!

I finally got my pot man glued to Buddy's ladder. I also have it tied to the ladder with weed eater line--just as a back-up to keep it from falling in case the glue melts in the summer heat.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2010
5:45 PM

Post #7817994

Charlotte gave me this moon vine back in March and it is growing and beginning to climb Buddy's ladder. :o)) The other moon vine you gave me, Charlotte, is climbing the back of the ladder.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #7818073

Mary or Charlotte or anyone who knows: how big will that cassia get? I have been looking on Plant files and some of those cassia can get up to 15 feet tall or more? Does this one get that big? I read that the cassia alata is a host plant for sulphur butterflies, which is a good thing. I also read in plant files that one lady had a plant that went from seed to 8ft. in 6 months! Is the one I have that kind of cassia? I need to know so I will know where to plant it. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Here is the photo of it again (in the white cup)

Thumbnail by marsue

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7818134

Here it is in PF's.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/60780/
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2010
7:07 PM

Post #7818234

Thanks, Jeri. That helps a lot. I know where I can plant it now.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #7818361

Marilyn are looking for some of the gardening Ladies? I stopped at our Tuesday Morning about 5 min before they closed tonight. They had three of them. If you are interested I will get it for you. I quickly took a picture with my phone. I don't think they came out very good though.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7818444

I love mine!!! Did Yall see her surrounded by ixoras(that I haven't gotten planted yet)? Thanks again Charlotte & Marilyn!!!
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7818452

These are the other things at Paul Michael's of which you wanted pictures ..

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
8:18 PM

Post #7818462

female

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
8:19 PM

Post #7818464

duck

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #7818479

bad picture of the ladies. The one in front with the skirt was the tallest.

Thumbnail by Riverland

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
8:41 PM

Post #7818554

Those are so cute Cindy Love them so cute

Marilyn, i've had moonvine reseed itself the next year, so that should drop seed and come back for you next year.

I have a little trellis by the shop door and i've planted moonvine and hyacinth bean vine there all mixed, their starting to climb now.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2010
9:21 PM

Post #7818651

Cindy, I would love for you to pick up one of those ladies for me! Thanks so much! Now how are we going to get her to me? Are you coming to Kathy Ann's in June?
I thought those "people" at Paul Michael Co. were adorable! I wish I had looked at them closer to see how they were put together. I know I could get the watering cans and other components cheaper than what they were selling the "people" for. (I think they were over $100.00 weren't they?) I just don't know how I would put them together.

jeri11

jeri11
Central, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #7819152

Use that glue that Charlotte told you about.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2010
8:32 AM

Post #7819523

Do you need her soon? I could ship her but I am sure because of the size it would be at least 10 dollars. dmailed you.

I could draw you a detailed picture of how he and she were made. They are welded on to metal bar. I don't know where you would get the heavy spring at the neck though.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7820344

I could cut a hole in the parts and thread them over rebar like the tippy pots are done but they wouldn't be flexible like those are. I will have to "study" on it. Might be a "kitchen" project for a hot summer day when it is too hot to be outside.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 24, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #7822156

I bet someone in a mechanic's shop or access to a junk yard (autos) would be able to locate some springs cheap! Those are cute!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America