Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Talk: New bees chit chat - come on in!! 05/17/2010

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 351, Views: 1,627
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2010
9:10 AM

Post #7800547

Summer is on it's way! Tell us what's going on in your garden...

Any links you all want me to add to this let me know!

We came from here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1092947/

Come on in...

Direction for free seeds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Newbies that get lost and found here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Lasagna Beds for newbies here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037637/

Thumbnail by locakelly
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
9:37 AM

Post #7800627

I think that is why nettie was having so much trouble loading her bog picture. I lost several trying to get it this morning.
Thanks Loca. Is this like yours?

Thumbnail by mekos

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2010
10:32 AM

Post #7800868

Nope - mine's different. See the pic at the top of the thread. The flowers hang downward so had to lift them to take the pic. It was either that or lay on the ground and look up - lol.

RRM says it does look like some sort of Wandering Jew... So far it's outside and doing well...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
11:36 AM

Post #7801063

Loca, there are 2 different things in my big pot there. One is what you have-on the dirt and the one standing is different with the blooms. Yours is the one like mine laying on the dirt. See the different leaves?

Thumbnail by mekos

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
12:14 PM

Post #7801162

Mekos, when you accidently break the stem does it have a slimmy sap? Very pretty plant, my daddy called them " snotweed" i always thought they were pretty. Love the blue on them. I'll get you a pic of those things I sent Loca, they are pretty. they do like the dampness.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #7801290

Yep mekos - looks like them as babies - lol... Mine were much greener, actually really green, when they were in the peat. Now that I have them in a pot in soil they are more pale green. I think I may have to put them back in some peat. Couldn't leave them with the PPs in my tiny tiny tiny pot bog garden - they were eating the PPs alive - lol...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
1:42 PM

Post #7801423

I know what you mean. They grow all over my yard. I'm not sure how they got in the flower pot with the other things, but wooops and there they be.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2010
2:56 PM

Post #7801612

Seed must have got n that peat when I weedeated. No telling. They like damp cool areas.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2010
2:57 PM

Post #7801617

Hmmmmm - then I'll find them a damp cool peaty pot all their own. I bet they green up in no time;o)
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2010
4:35 PM

Post #7801895

Hey Y'all!
Sharing a few pics..

Beautifil Lily, "Shiraz" that Mindy sent me last year ;-)

Thumbnail by MechelleT

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2010
4:38 PM

Post #7801903

Nice flower pix Mekos! I'm just getting my camera charged up for more photos tomarrow. I'm way behind you folks, but do have flowers out there. Tomatoes are doing great so far no signs of the dreaded blight that wiped out most of us last year. I'll be ready to plant them in the garden next week, we still have frost warnings here to worry about.

Al
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2010

Post #7801906

First Daylily bloom ;-) Don't know the name of this one..

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7801915

Louisiana Iris ;-) Yay they bloomed this year!

Thumbnail by MechelleT

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
4:42 PM

Post #7801922

Woo-Hoo, just beautiful, girl! I'm loveing em all.
My daylilies are budded out but none open yet.
Thanks Al. Can't wait to see them.

This message was edited May 17, 2010 6:44 PM
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7801932

My lasagna bed vegetable garden

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2010
4:50 PM

Post #7801938

Red Hot Poker Lilies.. just don't look at those weeds I need to pull .. hehe

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #7801947

Mystery Peony that popped up this year. The blooms already spent but has large seed pods now.

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2010
4:57 PM

Post #7801958

Snapping Turtle that was trucking along on our driveway heading for the pond..

Thumbnail by MechelleT

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #7801979

Garden looks good, you made a big one. The plants and the company is pretty. My red hot pokers are about to burst open. They are beginning to. I have the green/ yellow ones and the red/yellow ones.
Really nice girl!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 17, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #7802533

mechelle my la iris bloomed like crazy this yearim gona have to try and devide them some this year gona have to do some reading and figure out what i need to do to devide them. i don,t haxe a clue.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #7802546

Well, nettie, the first thing is get my address and when you divide them, you send me one of each. That will work for me.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 17, 2010
8:58 PM

Post #7802771

loca my dh mom near killed me pulling that old weed out of her prim roses she went crazy if she found one piece of that little thing in her flowers she said it starved her plants. i don;t know just tried to keep her happy if you know what i mean.with her and my moma they kept me buisy in early sprong. i tried to be a good dauinlaw and dau. dh has no brothers or sisters so it was just me to do for mrs ruby . i didn;t mind just stayed tirde all the time. just don,t let it get away from you.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 17, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #7802781

mekos you bet you id love that.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 17, 2010
9:12 PM

Post #7802826

Great pictures everyone! I'm still too chicken to put anything out yet. Heck, we are so far behind all of you! My cherry trees haven't even bloomed yet.
Spent the day trying to find CP's for my bog garden. No luck, but I have all the nursery peeps thinking I am nuts. Apparently, they don't get requests for them very often. But I am going to try to get to the "big city" later in the week and will check there. Hopefully, someone there will have something!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2010
9:32 PM

Post #7802870

Lookin good Mechelle!

But nettie, it's such a pretty weed!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 17, 2010
9:35 PM

Post #7802880

got all my african vilots fed dh put shelves in two windows for me sure saces me alot of time keeps them close don;t have them strung all over the house. use milk jugs full of water very handy. need to find some new plants some or these are getting old like me.oh my i think i need to go to bed.rest is good for you dh told me that.love to all talk later
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2010
6:13 AM

Post #7803562

Planted a few of my "early" tomatoes in large 2 cf containers with potting soil yesterday. I can still move them inside if we get frost warnings, hope to be eating fresh tomatoes by mid July which is early here in NY. I know, you girls are way ahead of me but I can still eat tomatoes in late October.

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
6:43 AM

Post #7803691

Good morning everyone.
Hi AL, here is one of my maters.

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
6:44 AM

Post #7803701

Another one. (BIG Smile)

Thumbnail by mekos

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
6:52 AM

Post #7803740

This is the tag along vine, that just came up with some of my coral vines. See I sow seeds and when the patience thingy doesn't work and they a no show, I go put the soil back into the bag and start again with something else.(I don't waste soil, if it aint growing nothing, it gets returned to the bag). So anyway, then after planting something else there is usually a stanger moving in with the others. This would be one of them strangers. Now all the vines I planted that was a no ahow was -Rare and tropical, kinda sorta plants. So would ANYONE have an idea what this is? I seperated it from the Coral vines and gave it it's own pot so I could see what it would do. I sure hope it aint poison oak/ivy! It kinda sorta looks like that and I am highly allergic to that stuff! Help!!

Thumbnail by mekos

enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 18, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7803847

Posion Ivy should have a smooth leaf - no little barbs like this one. Of course, if I knew anything I wouldn't have to ask so many questions! I wouldn't trust me if I were you!!
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2010
7:39 AM

Post #7803898

Fantastic pictures everyone!
I have that same spiderwort growing here Mekos. And it has just started to set blooms this year. I love the blue color of that little flower...thought about taking a flower to Lowe's and seeing if they could match the color for paint. I would love to have a blue garden and would like to paint a bench to match.

That vine is not poison ivy or the stems would be red right now and so would part of the leaves. I know I have seen it but just need to think about where...hmmmmm

YOu all take care today...lots of rain here and need to go make sure some plants don't get flooded

bbl

Hugs all around
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2010
8:16 AM

Post #7804012

I can taste those southern tomatoes already, except mine have to come from the grocery store, UGH. Thanks Mekos, you're a real inspiration!

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #7804083

Thanks Al. I know your climate is different and yours will grow fast as the sun warms them and turns them loose to grow. I kept mine in pots until a few days ago and needed to get them in ground before they get any bigger. I should have put plant food on them but it was cold out and I was always afraid we'd get another frost and didn't want them to walk out of the pots. Now I can feed them and get my sandwich bread ready!

I posted a picture of the vine on the plant Id forum and they said it wasn't poison ivy/oak either but still don't know what it IS.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2010
11:24 AM

Post #7804556

hey, I ain't goin nowhere, someone got me a subscription. Don't know who. but I am Secretely so glad. Thank you Some one.
Hugs and mule Nuzzles. donkey nuzzles too. ☺☺☺
Charleen
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
11:47 AM

Post #7804640

A close up of the vine? Still no ideas?
Hugs to you and Charley, Charleen. Congrats!

Thumbnail by mekos

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #7804770

Yeah RRM - glad you'll be staying!

mekos - I don't know what your vine is! Those people are good on the Plant ID Forum - hopefully someone can ID it...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #7804890

Someone thinks it is not a vine but bush or shrub? I would have sworn it was a vine. We'll see.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7805149

There is no telling with all the seeds you grow Mekos. I'm sure it will be beautiful.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2010
4:25 PM

Post #7805349

RRM, glad you'll be staying with us! Hi Al, Kelly, Mekos.. Planted all my melons yesterday ;-) I grew watermelon, yellow honeydew, banana melon, sweet passion melon, yum.. can't wait.. lol ..Next will be the tray of peppers and then I think I am gonna do just a few more things and be done! The garden ended up being 50x50x50x50! Don't remember how to break that one down to sf or area so.. yeah.. it is what it is! i am so excited cause I got my new Ronnigers's catalog today! So much great info in there! Have a good night everyone! -M

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 18, 2010

Post #7805371

Hey Mechelle! That's a monster garden you have there - lol... 50' x 50' = 2500 sq ft!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #7805420

WOW! You can bring water melons to the round up. yellow ??? hehehe my favorite!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2010
5:03 PM

Post #7805432

Yeah, come on down. This can be called a southern Round up. no specific state just wonderful people. We already got Ga, Tn. who next??? come on down to Augusta, Ga. up in my case.
Melons, yummmmmmm!!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2010
9:17 PM

Post #7805994

I know Kelly, lol I can't even get the whole garden in the picture! I only have like 4 cabbage plants left.. I think the wild rabbits have been

munching them. The whole thing, just gone. I got some society garlic from a trade to help keep the deer away but DH is supposed to put

electric lines around the garden for me.

I would love to go to the RU and see all of you guys. Keep me informed ;-)

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 18, 2010
9:38 PM

Post #7806026

rrm im so lad you are staying that is a good thing. i was gona cry love nettie. good night hope you all have a good day today.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
4:27 AM

Post #7806275

Good morning everyone. Looks nice so far today, but calling for rain again so maybe not.
Got another huge bud up on the pond. Looks like another huge bloom from the pretty water lily. I'm just beside myself with all the pretty blooms so far this year. If this is just the prelude, man, what a summer to come!
Well, have a great day everyone. Back later. It's still too early for me. I think I'm going back to bed for a while.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2010
8:44 AM

Post #7806988

Don't cry nettie, I'm here. with a pic of hubby's garden. Mechelle, we have to have a fence around our garden to keep the deer out, at first. Now we got a mule and Donkeys that would love to go tase DH corn and beans .

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
10:37 AM

Post #7807441

Well, I didn't get back to bed, got Kaylee instead. Off for today till she goes home, want to spend time with her while she is here.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
11:02 AM

Post #7807498

Forgot to post the picture- my bad!
Little sleepy head. She will be waking up soon. Back later.

Thumbnail by mekos

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2010
11:09 AM

Post #7807528

Oh how cute! Have fun with that little doll today!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #7807636

(;0)
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 19, 2010
3:11 PM

Post #7808120

Ugh! I wish mine would go home! Oh, I forget he is home - crap!
She is beautiful Mekos - glad you are getting to spend time with her. It won't be long until she is walkin' and talkin' - they change so fast.

We are having severe weather here, tornado just a few miles from here - we have had a really yucky spring. Everything is so wet, things will either drown or grow like crazy when it dries up.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
5:46 PM

Post #7808647

Sorry Enid, you take care and be safe. Bad storms scare me. I've seen too many tornados.
I pray it goes around you.
Kaylee is trying to talk. She smiles and coos and just looks at you and tries to figure you out. LOL It is so funny and cute at the same time. She is just getting to where you can really enjoy her and her try to play with you too. I really count my blessings to have her here. DIL is more like a daughter than IN LAW. She is a gift as well.
OK enough blubbering.
Turning in early tonight. Be safe everyone. Hugs to you all. Good night.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 19, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7808984

just stoped to say hi can,t stay long can see lighting and hear th roaeing i don;t like this glad you are all doing ok. hate storms we always loose our lights can,t read or do much of anything just go with the weather younknow i have to whine just a little. love nettie
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 19, 2010
7:21 PM

Post #7808992

Mekos, that little girl is just precious! How adorable! Have a great evening!
Enid, you be safe! Tornadoes can be so dangerous, as you well know. Hope they all go way wide of you!
Everybody, have a safe evening!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 19, 2010
7:25 PM

Post #7809010

Sorry, nettie, posted over you. You best be careful and have a safe evening also!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
7:23 AM

Post #7810189

Good morning everyone. Looks like rain again today. Been cloudy every morning till noon or so , then turns sunny but they calling for rain today and we most likely will get some. Hoping to fill my rain barrells, so it's a good thing now. I'm hoping everyone had a safe night yesterday and NO tornadic activity at their areas.
Anyone seen Enid this morning? Chirp in when you know you ok girl!
Littlenettie, are you ok today? You all have a great day and show pictures of all those blooms.
Al, we still waiting on the trip pictures, or did I miss them?lol, well be good everyone.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 20, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7810195

Yep, I am good - didn't get blown away this time! Biggest part of the storm was a few miles from here. Hope it didn't get Nettie - the storm system was headed her way.

Sun is out - I am goin' outside!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 20, 2010
7:44 AM

Post #7810235

Glad you had an uneventful night Enid! Nettie, where are you? Are you OK? Looks like we might get rain today too, but that's okay, as it's good planting weather. Cool and cloudy, with chance of rain is so much easier on the plants, lol.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #7810276

Sure is Skellogg.
Hi Enid, glad you ok.
Still waiting for nettie to show up.
Sun is out here right now. It is nice outside.
You guys all have a good day and I'll check back in later.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 20, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #7810638

got over 4in rain dh been sucking the din carpet water came over the concrete slab. i guess thats one way to clean the carpet other than that we came through ok for now. sounds like we may be getting more rain at any time. veggie garden doesn,t need anymore rain for a while you know how that gos mother nature always gets her way.
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 20, 2010
10:20 AM

Post #7810746

Glad you are all good Nettie - knew those storms were headed right for you! We are soaked here too - hope it dries up, wheat will rot in the fields - which means no money for us again this year! (we haul grain, don't get a government check for crop failure - just go broke)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #7810751

Headed our way this weekend, the rain, is on it's way. Bog gardens will love it.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #7810758

Durn, fogot the pictre. Here's one of my Bogs.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
10:45 AM

Post #7810827

Glad you are ok, nettie. We worry about each other.
Enid we'll be praying for the crops there to dry up a little bit. I'm sorry about that. Mother nature does tend to drop too much in some places and not enough in others. I think she stumps her toes sometimes.LOL. Love you and hope it gets better.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 20, 2010
3:59 PM

Post #7811676

just fenished washing thebig round rug mark sent me from where he was the last time he was over there it was a mater of sitting on the washer to keep it in the laundry room i sure hope it was washable it didn;t fall apart thats a plus. but it had no english on it ir really like it has a big burgandy rose in the middle of it dark green background small roses around the edge then fringe very pretty got a beautiful flower vzse from ireland for christmass has a big camella on it very pretty he knows what i like all our children home safe and out of harms way thank god its hard to hold your breath for a year and thats what i do the flower gardens help me keep my sanity nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 20, 2010
4:06 PM

Post #7811700

the gard must br at fort chaffey this weekend cause my windows have been shaking and the noise ie bad thought when it siarted we were going to get another rain storm but only noise. thats good. nettie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
4:09 PM

Post #7811710

You take care nettie and stay safe.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 20, 2010
6:11 PM

Post #7812036

Glad you are okay nettie! Take care and hopefully things will dry out some! Your rugs sound really pretty!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #7812070

Good night everyone, tomorrow has got to be a better day! Hugs and love to all.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7812173

Okay Gang! I've got flowers - finally!

This is my three year old Allium (flowering onion)

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #7812187

This beautiful Chive plant was given to me by a friendly neighbor. We often cut it back to mix with sour cream for recipes.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7812192

Okay - How about an Iris, mine bloomed just yesterday after watching yours all come out a month ago.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7812208

I've got a few Buttercups,too. They're kind of small, but cute.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #7812230

Pansies getting ready plant into containers, some in already but need to do some more work tomarrow.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7812241

WooHoo Al, you got it going on! Look at all those beautiful Colors. I love those blooms! Woo-Hoo, better late than never and so worth waiting for. Congratulations.
Good night again, I was just checking in one last time before going to bed.
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #7812251

Okay - Last one for tonight. This is Taki checking out my Tomato plant collection. Actually there are some catnip plant starts in the container next to her. She managed to get to them before I could put them in the ground.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7813192

Good Morning Everyone,
I am looking for a Hosta coop has anyone seen any or bought any ?Suggestions are hugely appreciated...
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 21, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #7813285

Sorry, arejay, can't help you with that, but when you find one, please let us know. I currently have 0 hostas and ferns. Yep, that's right, zero! (I know, I'm pathetic.) And I desperately need some for a new shade garden I want to put in this year. Actually, the area is already there, it was just over flowing with snow on the mountain, and I want something different.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2010
10:57 AM

Post #7813969

Morning everyone!

Glad you all made it through the storms okay! Send some rain my way, will ya? We did not officially hit 100 yesterday though some areas did. Looks like we will today though, then into the 80s again by Sunday. This has been the craziest weather ever!

Nice fleurs Al - now I can drool over y'alls while mine are melting - lol...

Robin - maybe try the other site or d-mail mamajack. She is the co-op queen don't you know...

Haven't been on much - my baby girl is sick. She got some kind of abscess on her little face and had to take her to the vet yesterday. They lanced it though it had already popped and cleaned it. She's acting fine - just has an ugly looking bruised, shaved face with a hole in it while it drains/heals. Please send some good thoughts and prayers her way... Vet isn't sure how it happened - if she got bit by something or if she scratched it and it abscessed or what? Don't really know, but she should fully recover.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2010
12:07 PM

Post #7814159

Could be Spider bite. Poor baby. Know you are worried. Will add her to my donkey prayers.
Hugs to you both.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 21, 2010
12:36 PM

Post #7814242

Thanks RRM! ;o)
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7814581

Hi everyone! Glad you all made it through the storms alright. This has been such a bad weather season in AR. We have relatives there and they have had some pretty darn close calls. It's supposed to be clear here for the next few days so hopefully I can get out there and get a few things done. Kelly, hope your fur baby gets better soon. I hate it when animals don't feel well. Mekos, your baby girl is so adorable. Almost makes me want one. No, wait, I'll stick to flowers! LOL ..RRM, your garden looks nice and I like the bog picture! My cp plant didn't make it :-( It kept trying to come back but it finally just quit. I will try again another time. Nice pictures Al! Keep the blooms and pics coming. I got another daylily bloom today. It's a NOID. Does anyone recognize it? Sure is a pretty one!

Thumbnail by MechelleT

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2010
3:11 PM

Post #7814612

Hi Mechlle. thank you I try to have a beautiful yard and flowers. Mostly flowes. The yard is just another spot to plant things when I'm ready. ☺
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
4:59 PM

Post #7814878

Hi everyone. Mechelle I got one just like yours but no id on it. Sorry.
Loca, I sure hope the baby heals fast. keep your chin up they are pretty good healers that young. She will be good as new very soon. She could have got a nip from one of her siblings and it just got infected as she grew. But it'll be better now.
Al, love your fur baby, mine likes the cat nip too. Gotta watch them till yours spreads a bit.
Off for tonight, I got the baby and a head ache. Good night and hugs!
I got hosta seeds if anyone wants to try them.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 21, 2010
8:03 PM

Post #7815545

hi had eye dr, app today forgot tro tell you all about that sorry. ill try and remember and mot do that again. some one gave milissa a bunch of iris got to help her plant them in yhe morning so they will be good to go until spring and she gets all her brds ready for planting. she so wants her yard to be pretty xnd im going to do my best to hrlp her just has to wait umtil spring ixe got to get well or alot better love and hugs to everyone nettie.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #7817089

Hi everyone ;-) Just wanted to drop a quick line and wish everyone a happy gardening day! Mechelle
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 22, 2010
9:05 PM

Post #7818616

this has been a real barn burner of a day helped daughter get all those iris put back in yhe ground i cut the fans shr did the diging and planting. gpt me one more dr. ruple clemitas hope i spelled that wright. don.t have it in the gtound yet but already know wnere im going to put it.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 22, 2010
10:46 PM

Post #7818796

al love your onion i dont haxe any luck with those just stoped planting them. im going to bed hope you all have a good day tomorrow. love nettie
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #7820035

New DL bloom today : Westfield Cream ;-) Have a good day all

Thumbnail by MechelleT

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2010
12:01 PM

Post #7820072

My Lilacs are in bloom! I can smell them from here! Big lilac festival going on in Rochester just north of us. Beautiful 80 degree day - Summer's arrived!

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
12:05 PM

Post #7820083

Very Pretty Al!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2010
12:16 PM

Post #7820106

Hi Michelle - Your Lilies look nice, too!

Just taking life easy today, nice church picnic at a local park. ASPCA had a cool exhibit with kids, kites, and kittens (lots of them!). No, I didn't bring one home!

Al
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
12:30 PM

Post #7820138

Thank you! Sounds like fun times there ;-) No more kitties for me either..hehe
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
2:20 PM

Post #7820392

I got a furball shedding all over my porch that would love to come visit you Al, and Mechelle. Can I send him on a one way bus to you guys? His name is Smurf because he has baby blue eyes.(like blue smurfs.)

Thumbnail by mekos

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #7820573

My dogs wouldn't let me have a kitty. but I got chickens and they are fun to have around.
I love your kitty Mekos. Very Beautiful and soft looking.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #7820652

I love the furball too. But he is sometimes a royal pain somewhere. He is half persian and half siamese. So much fur!
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2010
4:45 AM

Post #7821948

GoodMorning everyone.. Hope all is well... Things are busy here, trying to get all Calebs school work finished up..Some things the principle said we werent going to have to do, now all of a sudden needs done so were cramming before end of year..Hoping Thursday is our last Day..I'm not fit to be a teacher lol..Gives me total appreciation for those who do!!!! My flowers are doing ok.. They need a lil weeding out, but after next week im looking forward to some me time..(yeah right?)

Also brought home a 4 week old pup the momma dog stopped feeding the babies so we fostered a pup as a learning experience..Ha thats been 2 weeks of baby sitting a sweet lil demon..The mom is a boxer the dad is a bull mastif... His name is Roscoe maybe later today I can post some pics of his lil bad self.. he has really grown in 2 weeks... I cant tell you (shhhh) how DH felt about bringing home a dog so small he had to stay in house... He thinks animals should be outside no matter what, but haha we got him on Mothers Day and Caleb told him that was my MD present from him so he really didnt say much.. Now he sorta grown attached to him also..Talk soon Trish

Daylily "wild horses"

Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:10 AM

Post #7821982

Hi huny, Can't wait to see the puppy, I LOVE mastiffs. I raised 2 english Mastiffs and wouldn't have taken ANYTHING for either of them. They will surely steal your heart and no better animal in the world after you get past the terrible twos.( before then, they will eat your house down, they love to chew give plenty of chew toys to occupy them.)You may think youre going broke on chew toys, but better toys than your furniture. AND be prepared for slobber. OH MY GOSH! They slobber and drool all the time. I made bibs and put on mine like a bandana around the neck, only it was to wipe their mouths. We put potty pads under the water bucket and even it fills with slobber, have to do fresh water at least twice daily. But with all it takes to raise them, it is ALL well worth it. They are the most loyal animals you can find. They bond with you and will never be far away at any time. They just love to touch you or sit at your feet. They are called the gentle giants.
OK enough of that. Brought back lots of memories.
Lots of storms passing through today so everyone watch out. Tornados went through the central plain states last night. Hope everyone is ok.
Have a great day everyone!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #7822126

Hi huney! You know I like the DL's ! Have fun with your new baby! Animals have a good way of just stealing your heart right out from underneath you! Last October, agaist my better judgement,my DH bought 3 more horses (ugh) A stallion, his pregnant mare and their colt from the year before. No big deal really, but the little mare had her baby a couple days ago. She had a little black stud colt and he is cute as can be! He is all black except for a little white spot on his chin. We don't know where his color came from because the mare is a bay color (brown) and the stud is a gray (white hair). Mystery color! Love it. Anyway, I will try to get pictures of the little guy today and share with you guys.

Gonna go play out in the garden for a while before it gets too hot or it rains. I was out there yesterday weeding and all of a sudden, the clouds formed, thunder cracked and it started to pour! The forecast said it was gonna be sunny in the 90's all week, so it was a big surprise. I had been out there a while and I was hot so I just stayed out there in the rain! It only lasted about a minute or two and then the sun came back out. Just enough to water the garden and cool me off! Have a good day everyone! Be back later... M

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7822161

Sounds like your baby is a handful but sweet Mechelle
Loca, how is your little Darling"" Better?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2010
9:51 AM

Post #7822808

Hi RRM - little Stormy went to her regular vet on Saturday. They checked her face and abraded and cleaned the area. It's looking much better. Hasn't slowed her down a bit. You wouldn't know she's got an owie except for the big cone on her little head - lol. She hates that e-collar, but will have to wear it for up to 10 days. Depends on how long it takes to heal...
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2010
10:08 AM

Post #7822849

Glad Stormy is doing well Loca.
Lovely pictures Al we are still waitiing on you to post the trip pictures.
Hot but breezy here today so been outside for a bit.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2010
10:21 AM

Post #7822886

It's been cool here - 79 yesterday and 80s most of the week... Is it really May? LOL
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2010
10:25 AM

Post #7822900

Got all of my peppers planted in the garden.. All 35 or so of them! Had to tear out my little bolted Bok Choy and replace the baren rows with peppers! lol
Glad Stormy is doing alright Kelly. Last year or so, I put one of my horses in the backyard to munch on grass and my daughter didn't know it and let Missy (our Shar-Pei) out there. Well she's dumb as a box of rocks (Missy, God love her) and got herself kicked. She was stitched across her back and she had to wear one of those cones too. I think I hated seeing her with it more than she hated it herself!

Gotta go run some errands.. bbl ;-) M
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2010
10:28 AM

Post #7822906

Oh, new DL bloom today.. Frankly Scarlet..

Thumbnail by MechelleT

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2010
10:33 AM

Post #7822924

Glad your poor little Missy recovered Mechelle... Horses can do a number on you with them there hooves...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2010
11:29 AM

Post #7823065

I had one of my donkey girls get out this weekend when DH went to get bucket of poo for Veggies. He said she was out that gate fast. Thank god, it was about feeding time , I went ahead and feed Charley, he came up but other two were watching Annabelle. I Got her but she sure was kicking those heels up when she went by. I grabbed andwe got her in. Those hooves have done some damage to a coupleof more chickens I've rescued and they are o.k. The little hean has a terrible scar on her back the poor Rooster neaarly got his neck broke but he is much better. Dog stays out now too. He got chased under building so he knows what it's like to have hooves flying. Equine can be deadly with those feet.
Glad Stormy is better Loca, and Missy too.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2010
3:21 PM

Post #7823754

I tell people that all the time.. A horse (or mule, lol) will run out the gate at the very first chance they get! Just when you think they're not looking, off they'll go. Our neighbor around the corner had all 8 of his get out at about 4am. I got a call cause someone thought they were mine.. He left one gate open. They ran up the road and through the cemetary, it was awful. But we got 'em and no one got hurt, equine or otherwise.. Sneaky little boogers, lol

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2010
4:23 PM

Post #7823899

I have some neighbors horses get out andthey came up to see Charley. I would rather see theirs out than mine. ☺☺☺ That's sort of bad but I'm getting too old for real life Roadeos.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2010
4:33 PM

Post #7823934

I hear ya, lol
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7824162

Here's the new arrival!

Thumbnail by MechelleT

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
8:54 PM

Post #7824695

WOW Mechelle, he is adorable!
Night everyone. Turning in.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7825338

Beautiful, have you got it named yet???
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

May 25, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7825350

Hey there everyone! Been majorly busy between work, kiddo, and garden so haven't been posting much. I have an interview tomorrow for a dream job. Can use all thoughts and prayers for it. It would be amazing to get.

Garden is going well. Got lots of veggies growing. Just harvested my garlic and can't wait for them to cure so that we can cook 'em up. Our squash plants are HUGE and I saw some females on them yesterday, so I am hoping that they got pollinated. Also have cukes, carrots, and tomatoes all going strong. I am currently trying to root a gardenia cutting that I got for flowerbeds when we buy a new house this fall.

Missed you guys. Flowers, kitties, puppies, and horses all are adorable.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
8:38 AM

Post #7825789

RRM.. the funniest thing happened yesterday.. you know how we were talking about horses getting out?? Yeah well I jinxed myself I think!
I pulled up the driveway to go feed Hollywood, my stallion, and I saw this horse in the neighbors pasture.. about an acre or two away from a herd of 8 mares.. and he looked so familiar.. just munching on grass. Yup, it was Hollywood! As soon as he saw my car, he knew he was in trouble! He looked like a toddler who just got caught with his hand in the cookie jar! He came running down the fenceline and stopped at the gate and just waited for me to get him out. He must have just gotten in there because the mares hadn't even noticed him yet. What a close call! There was a fence down in his paddock so I had to put him in the barn til DH can go fix it for me. Little bugger. Gotta love him though cause he was such a good boy for coming up to me and waiting at the gate. It could've been sooo much worse! But he is a Hollywood horse, and he's amazing. He is so docile you'd think he were a mare or gelding.

Haven't named the little guy yet.. Maybe you guys can help me think of a good name? That'll be fun.. Maybe we should do a contest or something.. Everyone suggest a good name and the one whose name I pick gets a plant and grab bag of seeds? Yes.. we'll do that! Stay tuned and I will post the details...

WB Sapphire! Tell me, how and when do you harvest your garlic? I have 3 that have been in the ground since last fall and I'm not sure how to tell if they're ready yet.

Happy Gardening today everyone! It's gorgeous here today so I can be found OUTSIDE! ;-)

Thumbnail by MechelleT

sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

May 25, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #7825843

He is beautiful!

I pulled it up when it was kinda leaning and looked sort of dried out. The pic shows them just out of the ground on my potting bench if that helps. I had one that I was pulling and replanting to check progress. I put them in the ground in mid-November. Just pulled them the other day.

Thumbnail by sapphirestar19

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #7825869

Hmm.. what kind of garlic is that? They don't look like the garlic you buy in the store. Mine are like 3 times that size.. I will go get a pic and show you what mine look like... brb

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2010
9:20 AM

Post #7825909

Mechelle, Hollywood is beautiful. Maybe one of the mares was in heat. Lord, that could be bad if owner didn't want colts. They know when they get out they are not supposed to. but we love them, that's for sure. What is colts Mom's name and the Daddy, is it Hollywood????

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #7825913

Your horsies are beautiful Mechelle! Love 'em!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #7825990

Here is my garlic.. They have little corms or offsets.. I planted them probably in October or so. Can I take those little offsets and grow more garlic?

I will take pics of the other horses and show you guys too. I am proud of my beautiful babies.. Wait til you see Holly. Hollywood is her daddy and she is gorgeous. She is a sorrel paint and she has blue eyes.. Then there is Scarlett. Hollywood is her daddy too and she is a cutie. Fancy is beautiful too and she is Holly and Scarlett's mother. And I have a pretty Arabian grey named Betty Lou.. lol that was her name when I bought her.

The colt's mother is Cheyanne and the father is Apache. They were rescue horses that we paid a whole $300 for last November. I kept saying no to the person who was selling them and DH came behind me and said yes! So I let him because now he can't complain about "MY" horses.. lmao.. For every woman who owns horses there's a man behind her complaining about them! LOL Not me anymore!

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010

Post #7825995

I got 2 new daylilies today! For those of you who don't know, I started a lasagna bed last year just for daylilies and I am so happy with the results.

Here's Buttered Popcorn

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
9:52 AM

Post #7826005

And "Gay Cravatt "

Thumbnail by MechelleT

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #7826006

Tell me about it!! Dh does same and then I see him out there feeding them cookies and I mean people cookies. You got a Cheyanne and Apache, need a Cherokee to go with those Indian names. Charley came with his name too, so did Annabelle and Isabelle, but My DH named the Colt after one of the guys that works with him. The donkey colts is about 4-5 years old now, his name is A.T. Monticello. Monticello Ga. is where we got his Auntie and Mom.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2010
9:54 AM

Post #7826009

Your garlic looks good! Not sure what those little offsets are Mechelle, unless they are the original clove you planted? Usually, you would separate the individual cloves from the head of garlic and plant those. They will grow into another head and so on and so forth...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
10:06 AM

Post #7826043

No, they had foliage already when I planted them. I just wanna make more! LOL .. Do you think they are ready and how do I dry them? Can you really just put a clove in the ground and grow them like that?

RRM, he named one so he is equally to blame! Tell him I said so! lol lol

Oh and what in the heck is this caterpillar looking thing that was on my Hollyhock this morning?? He's munching on it alright..

Thumbnail by MechelleT

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2010
10:44 AM

Post #7826166

Here's a little ditty on growing garlic...

http://www.garlic-central.com/garlic-growing.html

You should wait until the leaves die back (like onions) to harvest... Did you plant the whole bulb or individual cloves? I'm not sure if you planted the whole thing what you'll get. Maybe those offsets are new ones forming off what you planted?

I don't know what that bug is but sure glad it's not on my plants - yuck!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #7826219

Thank you Kelly.. you always have the 411 when I need it ;-)
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

May 25, 2010

Post #7826251

I don't know. Mine is whatever variety they had at the feed store. I was happy that it grew period. This is my first year with garlic.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
11:13 AM

Post #7826269

I really need to know what that bug is so I can spray it. I just don't want to kill it if it's a good garden bug or a butterfly. All I know is it's eating my leaves so it must be bad.. I will post it on the bug ID forum..
Ayrica
Castlewood, SD

May 25, 2010
11:18 AM

Post #7826278

Hi everyone... I have been a lurker and occasionally will make a comment. I had no idea that there was a welcoming group ;) How neat!! I've been around for a few months. Not knowing what DG was all about at first I only paid for a couple months giving it a trial run. When I received my notice that I needed to renew I couldnt get it done quick enough..lol.. I can definately say I am addicted ;) I find the knowledge from everyone involved extensive... I love being a part of DG !!

Just want to say thanks for the warm welcome 8-) Happy Gardening Everybody !!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
11:35 AM

Post #7826344

Welcome to our group Ayrica! Jump on in anytime!
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

May 25, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #7826411

Many welcomes!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2010
12:39 PM

Post #7826557

Hiya Ayrica! We love to chat so feel free to put your two cents in any time;o)

Mechelle - can you maybe move it to another plant that you don't care so much about? At least until you find out what it is...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
12:52 PM

Post #7826592

I bet it WAS a moth :-0
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2010
5:01 PM

Post #7827440

Ayrica
I see you found us!! Welcome!! Mechelle that is Elephant garlic and the other sapphires is what looks like a hardneck garlic smaller naturally bith are good your Mechelle the elephant is a milder garlic...
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 25, 2010
8:22 PM

Post #7828105

hi arica welcome to daves the best bunch of people aroung, i must say i whine alot if i knew who came up with the golden years nothing gold around here grand pa had it wright you live unyil you die and you better keep your taxs paidits the law. it has been agood day mark took me out to lunch at cheaders, good food and the company wasn,t bad. i think i needed to get out of the house for a while if you know what i mean.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 25, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #7828142

mechelle that is probly a moth but could be a butterfly cats eat all the leaves off my butterfly weed it still blooms it just has no leavs poor baby plant then they crawl over in the rosemary shrub and hang until they hatch i just leave them alone rhey do fine they always get full after a while. nettie

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2010
9:03 PM

Post #7828228

mekos - check your d-mail...
Ayrica
Castlewood, SD

May 25, 2010
10:25 PM

Post #7828381

Thanks for the welcome ALL !! Dont know how much chit chattin I'll get in the rest of the week... I went into my greenhouse this evening and noticed all my extra seeds floating in 4 inches of water. I had quite a few as we normally garden about 2-3 acres (not commercially.) This is what I feed my family on throughout the year as well as many others. We donate to a few food banks in local counties, the VFW gets lots of goodies, and family n friends normally get more than what they want..lol... but we consider it our way of helping others ;) Its been raining alot here and the wind a blowin like no tomorrow. Today was decent. I'm a firm believer in the good Lord, so I'm guessing this is his gentle nudge to get me to plant the rest of the seed 8-) WELL... JOB WELL DONE !! Cuz I hate wasting them and I'm thinkin this must have happened a day or so ago ... many seeds were just starting to sprout. JEEZZZ... just when I thought I was ahead in the game..lol... Thats allright though !! I just keep the hubby diggin more ground ;) I'll quit my ramblin' on.. I'm looking to the bright side>>> this fall I should have plenty of veggies to give away again and plenty of seeds to offer to my new friends 8-)

Heres a picture from last years harvest ... I needed cold storage so used my extra room in the house that stays plenty chilly.. till I could get everything divided out for everyone. Sad thing is ... this isnt even all of it I had 3 other totes that I couldnt get in there full of potatos ... One things for sure .. no one in my family can be accused of starvation...lol

Thumbnail by Ayrica

Ayrica
Castlewood, SD

May 25, 2010
10:41 PM

Post #7828397

This is a picture of pumpkins that were donated to the kids' band class at school

Thumbnail by Ayrica

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
10:45 PM

Post #7828401

Wow! Nice pics Ayrica! Awesome!
Ayrica
Castlewood, SD

May 25, 2010
10:54 PM

Post #7828410

Here's some of the extras from last year I was begging everyone to take..lol
the zucchini got away from me a few times and got way too big (but good for bread) Heck after everyone had their fill of it I had the hubby pull em out of the ground and the darn things still kept right on a blooming in the pile of rubbish.. now thats what I call hardy !!

Thumbnail by Ayrica

Ayrica
Castlewood, SD

May 25, 2010
10:56 PM

Post #7828414

Thanks Mechelle
Ayrica
Castlewood, SD

May 25, 2010
11:11 PM

Post #7828418

Sorry I didnt rotate that last one ;)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2010
3:28 AM

Post #7828534

Oh Aryca that is beautiful!! I love the idea and so sorry for the water logging but you are right, time be wastin get plantin!!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2010
7:31 AM

Post #7829064

Ayrica, that is so great that you can grow that much! I would love to have all that space to garden. The kiddos are cute too! I assume they're your kiddos?;o)
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2010
9:44 AM

Post #7829494

I can't wait to start harvesting my garden ;-) All my little babies, lol.. I am going to love sharing with the neighbors and family and saving seeds. My FIL & MIL are moving here in 2 weeks and they live in a part of OR where they can't have a garden so they are excited about mine and I can't wait to share it with them. Plus we won't have to pay those outrageous prices in the store. Bell Peppers are 98 cents a piece! And potatoes are $5 a bag!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2010

Post #7829515

Potatoes used to be poor folks food. Beans an taters.
Not any more.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2010
9:53 AM

Post #7829533

I love potatoes! My DH can make one awesome potato soup!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2010
9:55 AM

Post #7829537

I grew up on Fried potatoes. Love them Fried and sort of cripy brown, not black. Done that too. ☺
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2010
10:02 AM

Post #7829561

My daughter and hubby make fried potatoes, remove the oil and dump scrambled eggs on top and cook the eggs right with the potatoes. It tastes wonderful. You can't eat that too often though if you're watching your weight!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #7829569

Me too RRM. I couldn't live long without my beans and taters and vegetable soup. I can do without meat but not these three along with cornbread.
Hi everyone, will have the baby today so not on too much. Moma got a part time job and I'm trying to help her out with the little one.
Got ya Loca.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2010
10:11 AM

Post #7829590

Look what I got blooming.

Thumbnail by mekos

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2010
10:18 AM

Post #7829618

That's beautiful Jan! What is it?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2010
10:40 AM

Post #7829679

Pretty! Some kind of Iris?

I love my taters too girls. Grew up in Maine and my grandpa was a tater farmer. We ate taters all the time every way possible - lol...

I like to cook mine in a bit of olive oil, then add garlic, onions, peppers and tomatoes. Then some chorizo and slap that on a plate with some eggs and homemade refried beans - yummy!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2010
10:48 AM

Post #7829708

Sounds good Loca, yum.
It's a walking iris Mechelle. I have all 3 colors. Blue/white, and yellow/white and blue/yellow/white mixed.
You sent me this one, Mechelle. I love it girlfriend. Thanks.

Thumbnail by mekos

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2010

Post #7829780

mekos

What is a walking iris? AND where do I get some??
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2010
11:13 AM

Post #7829791

Ooh Kelly, that sounds delicious! You're making my tum tum growl! i was thinking of growing some beans. What would be good ones to start? I have some Italian Flat Beans i haven't started yet. Do you just plant them like a regular seed? Good idea to soak them before planting?

Mekos, I don't think I sent you that. I wish I did have it though, it's gorgeous! It gets confusing sometimes, who sent you stuff, lol. I had to start writing on the back of my tags who sent by. Plus it's a good way to remember who to ask for more! LOL

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2010
11:20 AM

Post #7829817

Some people soak bean seeds first and some use an innoculant, but I do not. I just plant them and let 'em grow. Bean seeds will rot if planted in cool wet soil, so make sure your soil is warmed adequately. Should probably be OK for you to plant beans there now. I have no particular favorite - pole beans, bush beans, dry beans (pinto, etc)... I like them all. Pole beans will do best if given something to climb.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2010
11:25 AM

Post #7829836

OH, I thought that was what you called a surprise lily. I'm sure it was in some bulbs you sent me, but wow, now I don't know. Someone sent them, I thank you who ever you are!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2010
11:31 AM

Post #7829862

Thought you all might like to see my butterfly on the red hot pokers.

Thumbnail by mekos

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2010
11:32 AM

Post #7829863

I have grown all my veggies this year in the little peat pods and used grow lights. Do you think they will be ok if I start them that way?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2010
11:37 AM

Post #7829882

Mechelle they would probably grow fine that way but much more trouble. Just pull a row off how long you want it and drop seeds every couple inches and in a few days they will sprout and keep on growing. Then you don't have to transplant or mess with anything not necessary. They very easy to grow. Every so many feet, change to a diiferent bean and keep going till you get all you want planted. If you plant runner beans you got stake them or plant beside corn stalks so they can climb up them.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2010
11:42 AM

Post #7829900

Thats a good idea about growing them next to the corn. I did plant some corn that is starting to come up.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 26, 2010
12:14 PM

Post #7829985

We always did that. Wait till the corn is about 4-6 inches tall and put 2 seeds at the foot of each corn stalk so the bean can climb. when the bean sprouts and starts to run the corn will be tall and strong enough that the bean won't pull it down. That way you don't have to stake them.
sapphirestar19
Pearland, TX

May 26, 2010
12:21 PM

Post #7830004

We did that. Although we also did the full Three Sisters planting. My husband claims that it is HIS garden. I'll beg to differ, but as long as he's excited about it, I'll let him think that. He's even all excited that we have baby squashes on our plants. Silly man.
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2010
12:48 PM

Post #7830090

Mm you make me hungry is there something better than potatoes naww silly question ...
Ayrica
Castlewood, SD

May 26, 2010
1:05 PM

Post #7830137

yall made me hungry just reading all this..lol.. finally got everything planted ;) at least of what all was wet n sprouting. What a mess..lol.. yes those kiddos in the pictures are mine (one wasnt pictured - she was just a little thing) Very pretty flowers Mekos 8-) Beans are pretty easy to grow, however I've only grown bush type plants in the past (its what works best for us.) This year I thought for fun we would plant some with pods that grow 18 - 20 inches. I cant wait to see how they turn out. Hopefully they will be somewhat straight and hold up good to being pickled for dilly beans !!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2010
1:11 PM

Post #7830160

Mechelle - I direct sow all my seeds into the garden for the most part... About the only things I start inside are peppers, tomatoes and basil. They need that extra time to grow because we have such hot summers. I start them inside in December and plant out normally around Valentine's Day...
Ayrica
Castlewood, SD

May 26, 2010
5:57 PM

Post #7831223

Ok ... just have to ask I've been reading off of this other spot ~
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1101381/
does anyone know what is going on?
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

May 26, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7831304

Hello Everyone
What's new with everyone? I see Seray has decided to leave me but RRM decided to stay. Hi Jan. How are you? Is that beautiful baby keeping you busy?

Hi Kelly, are your irises still blooming? Trish how is Caleb?
Hey Robin, I got your hostas lol Mechelle you have the most beautiful animals I've seen and that garden is to die for.

Is everyone Boycotting BP ?

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2010
6:35 PM

Post #7831390

It's a long story Ayrica... and not a pleasant one. I for one just renewed my membership last month and will be here until ??? It's not a nice situation, but we also don't know the entire story I'm sure. So, I'm going to carry on until I feel differently and go from there...

Mit - too hot for any more blooms this spring I fear. Once I get those babies in the ground this fall though it's on.

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #7831845

Yeah - I decided to stay here, too. That "other site" just had a lot of useless talk that I didn't really have time to get into. You people make a lot more sense to me.

Okay - Potatoes...I love them! We live in potato country right here in western NY, can buy a nice 10 pound bag of whites or reds for $1.69 at the local farm market. We cook them 50 different ways.

Easy to grow, too. Take a single sprouted out potato tuber, put into a 5 gallon recycle pail (a few holes drilled for drainage), fill with decent quality potting soil. Wait a couple of months until the lush foliage starts to die back before uprooting the whole pail to reveal your "new" potatoes. I've even seen them grown in soil bags partially cut open to plant the tubers.

Al

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 26, 2010
8:58 PM

Post #7831907

Glad I'll have some company here for a while Al - lol...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2010
9:34 PM

Post #7831986

Hi everyone,
What a busy horse day I've had! Cleaned stalls, trimmed hooves, worked with the new colt, I am pooped!

Thanks for the compliments Mitt;-)

Mekos, I am going to take yours and Kelly's advice and try planting some beans by the corn. I guess I'll have to get some bean seeds. because I only have like 12 Italian Flat Bean seeds. I don't really know a lot about those kind of beans. Does anyone have any bean seeds they'd like to trade?

Al, I planted some of your sunflowers all around the yard a few days ago ;-) It'll be so pretty! I am glad you are staying here and you know what, I plan to stay here no matter what the situation is that's going on. It doesn't really matter to me who owns DG. I respect the fact that Dave and Trish started all of this and he gets full credit for that. This site is wonderful and it's my lifeline to my gardening world and I probably will be a member as long as it remains on the internet. Period. I don't feel like the situation is any of my business or concern. It sucks for the people who have invested their time on the other site. I have some great friends who have. But in a way, I understand it also. If you or I purchased a business for X amount of dollars, we wouldn't want the old owners competing with our business, especially if there was a non-compete clause in our contract. You have to admit, it was happening as a lot of people were leaving here to go to the other one. I hope none of you leave and we all realize how much DG is a valuable tool in so many ways. I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings and I don't mean to spark a debate in any way. Dave is a good person and he will handle everything and we really shouldn't worry about it. I just had to say that and be done with it.

Hope you all had a good day and I will see you in the a.m. :-)
Hugs, Mechelle

Ayrica
Castlewood, SD

May 26, 2010
10:25 PM

Post #7832064

I will be staying as well.. I enjoy the company of everyone on here. I know first hand that there is always two sides to a story and I feel sorry for the parties involved. This site is awesome and it was made that way by people that put their heart and souls into life. For me its a lifeline.. a retreat... or tea break (whatever.) Being a stay at home mom of 4 can be exhausting and I look forward to this "me" time because I dont get much of it !! I thoroughly enjoy everyones pictures, recipes, etc.. so keep em coming!!
Is the topic still Tators???...lol
Let me tell ya .. I think my favorite way is take some tators, wash them good & cube them up. Set aside in a packet made from foil or a throw away alluminum pan. Fry up some bacon (hickory or mesquite are my faves) make sure you get it just right crispy but not too bad, drain bacon but reserve the pan drippings, Crumble bacon into 1-2 in. pieces & set aside. Chop up onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and jalapenos toss all into the bag. Sprinkle with mccormick season salt, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary, thyme, and pepper. Add the bacon and pour some of the fat or all (if not too much) into the mix. Stir it pretty good so all has the coatings. Cover with more foil leaving a steam spot. The intense aroma I Luv ! Bake or grill until the tators are tender. Can be served with sour cream or french onion dip and sprinkled with colbyjack, but I like em just the way they are.

Well goodnight my new friends and God Bless
Ayrica
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
4:22 AM

Post #7832339

Good morning...
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
10:24 AM

Post #7833277

My two cents...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7833266

This message was edited May 27, 2010 12:25 PM

Thumbnail by arejay59

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2010
10:26 AM

Post #7833284

Morning peeps...

Mekos, I will be very sad to see you go, but we have other ways to stay in touch.

Although I am terribly upset by this entire ordeal, I have to agree with Mechelle that it's really none of my business. Everyone is emotional and upset, understandably. However, we only know part of the story and bits and pieces of what is truly happening. Personally I plan to stand back, read the posts on the DG Forum to stay in the loop and keep my mouth shut. It's a legal matter as far as I'm concerned and I am not a lawyer by a long shot;o) I plan to use DG for the resource it is as long as I feel comfortable here. Right now there is just too much uncertainty and speculation and I just feel I need to stay out of it...
Ayrica
Castlewood, SD

May 27, 2010
10:37 AM

Post #7833321

I agree .. for now there isnt much to do.. I'll just sit back too and see how things go.
But should things turn in a different direction ~ here is my email addy ~ txgalathrt@yahoo.com and I'm also on FB ~ Ayrica DeBoer
I hope that other actions wont be needed to keep up .. but just in case 8-)
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
12:18 PM

Post #7833653

Ya Know - I find it hard to get really upset about something that is totally out of my control. Kind of like kids over the age of 30. We've all been friends here over the last couple of years or so sharing our thoughts, ideas, animals, hobbies, and even garden stuff. A little off - beat sometimes, but we all seem to get along just fine. Basically like sitting on the back porch together. Our little gossip forum has stuck together for the long run because we all share a lot of common interest in each other. Friends stick together - so I guess I'm stuck here, regardless of what's going on with the admin politics.

Al

lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #7833680

This one's for you Mekos! - Sorry I got tied up with business stuff and not posting them earlier! I took over 300 pictures near Sedona AZ and I'm still sorting them all out.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2010
1:41 PM

Post #7833906

Thanks Al. You hit the nail on the head when you said I find it hard to get really upset about something that is totally out of my control...

Great picture - I so love Sedona! My Mom flys in Saturday from Maine for 10 days. I'm feeling the need to make a short drive north and see the Red Rocks - lol...
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 27, 2010
2:27 PM

Post #7834052

ok people what is going on nettie.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
2:31 PM

Post #7834064

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2010
2:41 PM

Post #7834100

Jan, I do not have a personal Cubit though I am a member of many Cubits there. I know that all of you who built your Cubits have spent countless hours of your time and energy to make them what they are. As my friend, I feel very badly for you and the others there that are being affected by this whole deal and definitely feel that it is not fair...

I know that you are upset by this as am I, but please realize that what is happening is out of your control. Your sanity and your health are most important and I don't like seeing you upset by all this. I will continue to pray that the situation resolves itself in a way that benefits everyone, but in the meantime all I can really do is sit back and see what happens...

You know how to reach me on the down low if you really need to vent without someone reading/deleting it... Anytime!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 27, 2010
2:50 PM

Post #7834122

It's ok friend - we have ways to talk off site if the need arises, right?
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
6:31 PM

Post #7834750

The need won't arise, I assure you.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 27, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7834833

mekos if you leave who will wory about me . none else does heck i never know whats going on. and im probly better off. big business is always cut throat noyhing we can do to change it. just stick togeather and we are good at that. it will always get better. wright lots of hugs nrttie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 27, 2010
9:05 PM

Post #7835158

ihey have to be very careful or they will brake the law i don.t know what they are afraid of probly not the people on daves garden we will just have to wait and see. nothing we can do one way or the other.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 27, 2010
9:12 PM

Post #7835168

I don't know what to say or think, regarding all of these changes. But, I do know, that I believe that change is not always for the best. I have made some awesome friends here, and have really enjoyed all of you, learned TONS from all of you, and I will always cherise getting to know all of you, and sharing even a small part of my life with you all. My DG subscription expires on June 4th, and the decision to stay or go has really been made for me. Due to other things going on in my life right now, outside of DG, I will not be able to renew my subscription. Of course, I will try to stay in touch with all of you, my dear friends! And I will check in between now and then, if for nothing else, just to see what is going on with all of you! And of course, to check out what awesome new pictures of your lives and gardens are being posted. Just wanted to let you all know how enjoyable this has been for me, and how much I have appreciated all that you all have given me! Thanks!!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2010
9:51 PM

Post #7835232

On a happy note, I'd like to share a couple of my daughter's new videos with you guys :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa5fCkVX0B0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilrlpROzL_s

I've been promising to share so here are a couple. I have lots more to upload. She has been performing on Tuesdays and Fridays all month and is signed up through July. She's only 14. Hope you enjoy!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 27, 2010
10:28 PM

Post #7835279

Mechelle, I have been checking periodically on youtube for her, and watching! She is still awesome, and I love to listen to her! Tell her we love her still, and to keep up the great work!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2010
10:32 PM

Post #7835283

Thank you, skellogg! I have 6 more videos to upload tonight so you can check them out if you want to! She is supposed to be on the Carl Perkins telethon on television out of Jackson, TN in August! That will be so neat for her ;)
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 27, 2010
10:42 PM

Post #7835315

OMG! I'll bet she is so anxious and excited, and I would be a nervous wreck! But she has such a wonderful presence, and I know she will be great! I don't remember if you ever said, does she get her voice from her Momma?
You must be so proud! I am sure she will be a famous singer some day! Can't wait!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2010
10:57 PM

Post #7835344

No, her dad gets the credit for voice ;-) Thank you!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 28, 2010
8:18 PM

Post #7838185

hi all ive been doing dog repair black lab and hound been chasing moles in one of my flower beds they dough through to china bulbs laying everywhere its a good thing 0 love thrm. very humid out today i think i got all the bujbs put back in the ground dh saio he took jis doot and klcked dirt on alot of rhem my hero. im going to bead salk later love and hugs to all nettie
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2010
8:31 AM

Post #7839339

Good Morning everyone ;-) Here's a new daylily bloom : Grape Harvest

Thumbnail by MechelleT

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #7839403

Good Morning

Serious signs!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #7839413

Pretty, Robin! Good to see you!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2010
6:46 PM

Post #7841036

HELLO AREJAY!!!!!!

This message was edited May 29, 2010 9:00 PM
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2010
9:48 PM

Post #7841502

Hi Mekos ;-)
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

May 30, 2010
5:35 AM

Post #7841817

Morning all. Chilly here today, and we're all fogged in, and only about 35 degrees, and misty and almost raining. Our poor plants have to tolerate such extreme weather changes! lol And 2 days ago it was almost 90!
On another note, someone paid my subscription for another year! Can't believe there is someone out there who really wants to put up with me for a year, lol! Thanks, whoever you are!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2010
8:56 AM

Post #7842299

I hear you with Mother nature Skell!! She plays tricks on us here too!! Snow one week...90 the next!! We have some strong plants up here!! That is great Skell someone paid you subscription, the dues fairy must be back!! It has been a beautiful weekend for the garden here this weekend...Keep it coming!!

John Boy, John Boy are you here????? Hello, Look what greeted me this am...Returning Rose is her name.
Hi ChelleI have been playing You tube..she has such a beautiful voice and so brave she is!!
Morning Miss Nettie!!
Who else is here?

Thumbnail by arejay59

enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 30, 2010
9:24 AM

Post #7842389

Me, me - I am here!
Howdy all - anybody want to come over and pull weeds? With almost 6 inches of rain in two weeks, I have lost my plants - they are under the weeds somewhere. Guess I will spend the day hunting for my little pretties.

Everyone have a wonderful day - I am off to pull up little green invaders.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2010
9:30 AM

Post #7842422

Well here is some exciting news about Courtney you guys..Last night she played at a big Memorial Day get together at the Buck Resort not too far from here. She was asked by a great local guy named Todd Pulse and he didn' tell us anything about the band members that would be there. So when we got there, we found out that the keyboard player was Alabama's keyboard player and that the drummer was Dolly Parton's drummer!! She has virtually no experience playing with a band but they came in behind her and it sounded awesome! I had a permanent smile on my face the whole night. But you won't believe it.. I FORGOT my camera.. I am so mad at myself... This nice couple that was there let me use their camera but I didn't get to record her until they called her back up by herself at intermission. When they email the videos to me, I will post on YouTube and share with you guys.. She sang 14 songs total last night and I have to say.. it was her best performance to date. ;-)
Have a good day everyone and I will come back later and post some garden pics maybe..
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

May 30, 2010
9:39 AM

Post #7842451

Very nice iris Robin. Does it rebloom in your area?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2010
10:13 AM

Post #7842541

Yeay Mechelle!! We will be waiting to see!!
I dont know Mit it is the first year bloom but I will let you know!!
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 30, 2010
10:21 AM

Post #7842566

Hello Everyone. Sorry, I let my blood pressure run up and almost did me in but I'm better today. Been so upset, I think I forgot to take the meds. My head still hurts but at least I can see better.
Beautiful Iris Robin, I love the color. Yours are timed really good. Ours are finished and with you just getting blooms, we can enjoy them for a while longer.
Mechelle, Give Courtney a hug from me and I'm still waiting for our road trips!!!
Got me a blackberry and with a laptop, we'll be good to go. Don't let her forget about her #1 fan.
It's raining here today and says it will continue all the next week too. Forcast is for 7 days in a row-RAIN.
Got a plant blooming today , I think is called a shrimp plant, not sure but think so.

This message was edited May 30, 2010 12:22 PM

Thumbnail by mekos

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2010
11:48 AM

Post #7842824

Miss Mekos.. I have been worried about you.. don't be letting stuff get you upset.. not worth it girl! And you better remember those meds!
She is going to be recording a demo real soon and I will share with anyone who'd like one. It's about to start coming down here too.. makes my internet slow :( Cute plant..
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #7843675

Hey guys, Hope all is well.. Miss seeing you all as often as I used to.. Here's a few blooms to share..

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2010
5:19 PM

Post #7843692

This is Amaryllis minerva and red border lilies

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2010
5:22 PM

Post #7843702

St Joseph's Lily ... Amaryllis Johnsonii

Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

May 30, 2010
5:26 PM

Post #7843714

Hi Trish
I like your Amaryllis. Did you have a good season with your irises?
My irises have finished blooming. Soon I'll have to get the shovel out again. lol
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7843726

This started out as my pink bed.. It has ended up pink and purple..

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2010
5:41 PM

Post #7843758

Hi Mitt... My iris bloomed beautifully.. I was so proud... I gave them a nice lil dose of fertilizer and hope the baby making starts right up lol...You really have some beauties... You have to get that list together of what you are going to have for sale.. Im sure you have some shoppers right here on this forum..

Im not sure what the name of this lily is but it sure did smell pretty..

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #7843776

Mixed lilies in bloom around hosta..

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2010
5:54 PM

Post #7843797

Hi peeps!

Mekos - glad to see you posting! Hope all is well.

huney - that first lily noid is stunning!

Robin - my Mom is here for 10 days from Maine, enjoying our hot weather!

Here's a JMG bloom I found this am. Got the seeds from Xeramtheum a while back. They are Kikyo Zaki that may have crossed with another - obviously this seed did. It has the size and shape of KZ, but it's not blue. It's pure white!

Thumbnail by locakelly

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2010
5:55 PM

Post #7843801

A side view so you can see how tiny the plant is! Imagine my surprise when I went out this am and saw the bloom!

Thumbnail by locakelly

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #7843826

Hmm I posted this somewhere this morning wonder where???
Meko...take your meds...or find an alternate method of controlling your blood pressure. You are important to me and I would like you to be as healthy as possible.

Mechelle She really has a beautiful voice...Post the demo when you get it ok?

"Very nice iris Robin. Does it rebloom in your area?"
Thank you Mit, I dont know if it reblooms it is my first year seeing it bloom at all!!
Who did I miss?

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7843986

Beautiful pics ! So nice to see you guys here! I miss my "gang " ;-) I posted some pics for your FB page Robin..
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2010
6:59 PM

Post #7843997

Rainbow picture taken from my back deck..

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #7844018

Gorgeous! Beautiful view, huney :-)
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #7844212

Thank you Mechelle!!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 30, 2010
7:54 PM

Post #7844214

enid have you had any day lili bloom none here just my yellow stellas,bought a new one at lows called steella in purple got one which has big buds but has not bkoomed yet. buy will soon, ill yake a picture when it blooms just hope i can get it to load. love nettie enjoyed the u tube lovely voice, you go girl,
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7844235

That is so nice Kelly does she like it in Arizona? Wheere are you taking her while she is there?
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2010
8:38 PM

Post #7844346

Thanks Mechelle.. Actually theres a hayfield that seperates the barn and my house I just zoomed in on the barn and the rainbow.. Your daughter does have a lovely voice..

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2010
8:44 PM

Post #7844373

Well I hope you guys have a great night sorry for hogging the forum tonight.. Trish
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

May 30, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #7844380

puter ys slowing way down we need a new thread please nettie

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2010
9:01 PM

Post #7844420

She's been all over Robin. She likes the heat though - crazy lady - lol... We'll just do some shopping and eating out;o)
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2010
10:18 PM

Post #7844595

Thanks for the compliments on my daughter.. Just watched the movie "Valentine's Day" with the family.. Patrick Dempsey is my other husband (he just doesn't know it) and Eric Dane ain't so bad either! We call them Mcdreamy and Mcsteamy from Grey's Anatomy.. haha Nite everbody ;-)
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2010
4:31 AM

Post #7844959

Happy Memorial Day weekend all! I've been out for the weekend, but got to see all the kids and little "Livie". Trying to get my new kite up in the air, but there hasn't been much wind to speak of. Maybe this afternoon at the park.

Thank a veteran for all our Freedoms today!

Al
enidcandles
Enid, OK

May 31, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #7845126

Nettie - I have some daylilies that are getting ready to bloom but nothing yet. I sure wish they would hurry - I have no color around here!

Busy day today - I will try to get back on this evening.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 31, 2010
10:12 AM

Post #7845722

Hey!!! Enid.. My old buddy. How are you doing???
Seems like forever.
Charleen
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2010
11:21 AM

Post #7845908

Hi RRM, Enid and Lyco! Hope you all have a wonderful day ;-) And everyone else who happens to pop on today!

Thumbnail by MechelleT

huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2010
7:09 PM

Post #7847281

Beautiful bloom Mechelle.. dwarf canna

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2010
7:19 PM

Post #7847307

Thanks huney, yours is beautiful too.. Oh and Kelly, your white flower up there is gorgeous!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2010
5:18 AM

Post #7847927

Hey Mitt don't forget to educate us on how to save seeds from iris and what the heck we are to do with them after we save them.

arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2010
6:06 AM

Post #7848008

Maybe he will give us a little class!!
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2010
7:04 AM

Post #7848161

Hi all, had a busy weekend with a Graduation and Memorial day together. I don't know why they always pick this weekend for a Graduation they should know by now most people go to the cemetaries and decorate,go camping and all the good stuff to start the summer for them.
Hey Robin I posted my bog gardens on facebook for you to see.
I hope Mit lets us all know when he has some of his irises up this year, by the time I found out he had some I didn't get to get any :(((((((( They were all gone.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2010
10:22 AM

Post #7848701

Flower! Long time no see! A class on Mitt's Iris would be great. How is everybody and what are your gardening plans for the day? I had a really busy day yesterday. I weeded and mowed and worked in the garden and sprayed round up and bug spray and all that good stuff.. All day! I have to go out and finish weeding in the garden. I keep neglecting this one corner and I better do it before the weeds take off. That's my gardening plan for the day.. Courtney sings tonight so have to get my stuff done and get ready for that. Hope you all have a good day! I'll be back if I find any new daylilies outside ;-)
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 1, 2010
10:43 AM

Post #7848752

Give Courtney a big hug and wish her good luck for us all.
I have big seed pods on my Iris this year. Lots of them. I been pulling them off and breaking them open cause I thought it was a bug nest???? Well, I guess this year I'll let them ripen and THEN pull them off.
My finished Bog garden with CPs in there and some other bog plants.

Thumbnail by mekos

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

June 1, 2010
10:52 AM

Post #7848780

Here's my latest project. Needed something to do with some bird houses I had sitting around, so put them in one of the lasagna beds. It should look good when the petunias grow, hopefully!

Thumbnail by skellogg

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

June 1, 2010
10:54 AM

Post #7848793

One more picture. Guess it's the lazy way to add yard art lol!

Thumbnail by skellogg

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2010
12:40 PM

Post #7849104

Thank you Mekos. Nice bog garden there lady! I see you have blue hydrangea.. I have it too but I got a few blooms with this pretty purple color. I guess that means I need to feed it something acidic? I haven't done anything to them in 2 years and this is the first time I have seen a different color in the mix. Purple is my favorite color so I'm not complaining ;-) I have that pic as my desktop.

Cute birdhouses Sandi ;-) Add me as a neighbor on Farmville!

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2010
12:44 PM

Post #7849118

I had a new bloom today. Don't know the name of this one as the name was worn off the tag. It had quite a bit of ants on it . Does anyone know if it's safe to spray Malathion on the blooms? I think the bloom will be prettier tomorrow. Does anyone ever notice that the daylily blooms are more vibrant on the 2nd day?

Thumbnail by MechelleT

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 1, 2010
8:42 PM

Post #7850608

weicome back love the pictures all the mater seed came up and are in cousins garden she is happy as can be thank you. nettiegot high speed today im proud sick of dial yp one nore day and i would be nuts.i was paying good money for nothing hope everyone has a good day tomorrow and the rest of thf week. im behind just got to get caught up
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 1, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #7850637

mechelle your la. iris is lovely.nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 1, 2010
9:16 PM

Post #7850678

good night everyone hope everyonr of you have a good night and the rest of your week is great love you nettie.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #7850753

I know it's late and you guys are probably sleeping but check out this "Sweet Child of Mine" .. all 14 years old of her ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgmUh2jwA3I

Enjoy!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2010
9:21 AM

Post #7855030

Wow - Quiet around here the last couple of days! Must be everyone's out enjoying the weather.

Al
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2010
10:33 AM

Post #7855275

I know Al, it has been quiet hasn't it? Well here's a pretty little flower to brighten your day. Don't know what it is.. it just appeared out in my yard!

Thumbnail by MechelleT

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 3, 2010
10:41 AM

Post #7855296

Ooooooooohhhhhhhh - pretty! Might be some kind of brown-eyed susan? Mekos will probably know what it is for sure...

My Mom is in town from Maine so I've been busy with her and getting the gardens ready for the heat that is coming this weekend...
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #7855927

Yep - sure is.. looks like a common Rudbeckia (brown eyed susan) to me. I've got a yard full of them usually in July and August. Love them next to my sunflowers.

Al

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #7856421

Here's mine. It's uncommon I think!!!
But pretty.

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #7856836

It's kind of funny but I noticed those yellow flowers growing wild all over the place when we went for a drive today. A few weeks ago I noticed wild Shasta daisies. And ditch lilies, too! They grow wild everywhere where I live.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

June 3, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7856977

And I have tried for 3 years to get them to go from seed with absolutely no luck what so ever! Brown and black eyed susans, daisies, ditch lilies, purple coneflowers, they are all like weeds, and I can't get them to grow, LOL! Guess I'll just have to break down and buy them. (Can you tell how much they have frustrated me? lol )
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7856989

I can't get purple coneflowers to grow either!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

June 3, 2010
8:02 PM

Post #7857001

Thank God! I would hate to be the only one, lol!
lycodad
Hornell, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2010
7:50 AM

Post #7858170

I've tried purple coneflowers a dozen times without luck. I even bought some in 6" pots from Lowes before they died. They just don't like me I guess.

Al
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
9:51 AM

Post #7858430

Could be your soil you guys. At walmart and lowes and home depot type places, they have kits (really inexpensive) to check your soil. Some plants need different types of soil and some will grow anyplace in any soil. Just depends on the plant itself.
Those all grow wild around here as well. Butterfly plants, we always called the chigger weeds when I was a kid, they are always full of chiggers that will eat you alive. Another is the August lily(looks like the white Easter lily.) I'm not sure on the real name, August Lily is just what people around here call them. They grow in ditches and vacant land, with daffodills and gladiolas and something that blooms purple and real cute but grows for about 20 miles along the roadside here. I have bunches of it in my yard and it's blooming now. I'll have to get a picture. It re-seads and keeps on going like the energizer bunny.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2010
10:03 AM

Post #7858458

Those brown-eyed Sunsans I have are Double. I bought a plant and put it inside the fence, these are growing outside. they chose where they wanted to grow, I guess.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
10:11 AM

Post #7858484

Yours are pretty Charleen. They probably wanted to be sure no long ears eat them.LOL
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2010
12:43 PM

Post #7858865

Well, Mrs. MacGregor is about to bust out the garden tools and whack Peter Rabbit one! Every day I go out in my garden and there are "bunny tracks" all through my rows with some plants knocked over. A few of my cabbage have disappeared but more than anything, they are just messing up my rows. >:-) DH hung up electric line but hasn't got the box hooked up yet. Grr.. Potatoes today..

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2010
12:46 PM

Post #7858878

New Daylily bloom today- "Chicago Salmon"

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2010
12:50 PM

Post #7858889

Look at these cute little guys.. I forgot all about them and here they are! RRM sent me these last year. Can't wait to see them bloom!

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2010
12:54 PM

Post #7858905

I Posted this one the other day, but my gosh- it's so pretty! My favorite one so far! DH thinks I'm crazy cause I go outside every morning with my camera to see what new ones I have, lol.. But I don't care! lol

Thumbnail by MechelleT

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
2:43 PM

Post #7859163

My Southern Magnolia bloom.

Thumbnail by mekos

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #7859167

Pretty Mekos ;-) Love Magnolias!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 4, 2010
2:53 PM

Post #7859192

Courtney is singing tonight so I will see you guys back here later tonight. Gonna be busy the next few days. In Laws are en route and have some things to finish up so the house will be all ready for them to move into. I am going to set up some pretty Coleus plants for them in the house. Drove DH to the airport in Nashville last night and didn't get home until 7am! He's driving the moving truck for them from OR. Got a little sleep but I am tired. Have a good night everyone!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 4, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7859199

Bog Garden

Thumbnail by littlenettie

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 4, 2010
3:06 PM

Post #7859219

i made this for la. iris whole bail of peat moss some sand good garden soil and pine needles just on a large scale very large scale still have room for some shade plants that like wet feet amy ideas let me know. nettie
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 4, 2010
4:41 PM

Post #7859405

Nettie, that is gorgeous! I love the pink hunnysuckle and the Irises! And LOOK HOW MANY in bloom! Wow! You did good.
cedarcottage
Madison, MS

June 4, 2010

Post #7859569

NETTIE,

BEAUTIFUL--GREAT JOB

CEDAR

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2010

Post #7859572

Nice job Nettie! I love it!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 4, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #7859788

mekos my ground orchid has set some seed have you ever tried any
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 4, 2010
7:42 PM

Post #7859802

loca thank you need to find afew more things to put in it.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 4, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #7859826

you are all so nice to me thank you. dh just came through here said he just killed a coper head snake in the drive way.i needto stay in after dark and keep my eyes open out side. those things are bad. i don,t like snakes of any kind.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2010
8:08 PM

Post #7859848

Be careful of those snakes Nettie! We have rattlers here but thankfully not in the city where I live. When I lived in Tucson, out in the country, they were everywhere. I don't like snakes too much...
jar617
Dellroy, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #7859955

I don't know about anyone else's area but here where I live, black eyed susans, wild daisies, and purple cone flower have to re-seed themselves every year or they do not come up the following year. Dead heading is fine as long as you don't dead head all of them...at least that is what I am finding here...now someone else I know has them come up every year, no problem but that person does not collect the seeds and so they probably get to reseed each year...I guess what I'm saying is that if they don't come up the year after you plant them, wait until the following year before giving up hope.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 4, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #7859967

happy gardening all love and hugs im going to bed goodnight nettie
flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2010
5:41 AM

Post #7860408

Chelle,
The pic you posted up above there ,is that a calla lily? If so I have one coming up and it actually was in the ground over the winter and I didn't think they were hardy to my area.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2010
7:07 AM

Post #7860565

Nettie, What all you got in that Bog Garden? You got a lot of blooms going on. s. alata, I see Iris too, I think.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #7860871

Hi flower, yes, that's a calla lily. I can't remember what color the flower is supposed to be. I will have to ask RRM when she pops in. Oh, just looked above and saw her post! Ha ha Morning Charleen

We also get the yucca flaccida that grows everywhere out here. At least they seem to be in a whole bunch of yards. Funny how I notice everyone's yard and what they have growing in it now, lol

Time to go out and see what my hare-y friends have done to my garden today. Rabbits.. >:-( bbl
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 5, 2010
1:03 PM

Post #7861438

rrm that bog has la. iris horse tail honeyxuckle, that pink is coral not native to arkansas. last year i also had elephant ear but had to take them for winter they are still in the pots l put them in last fall they are the short up right tipe i like them because they don,t lay down just keep going straightr up i wqndering about cala lili they like water don.t know how much wet they would take. may have to try some and see, the la. iris love it down there. they will take the whole bed if i let them. nettie oh i almost for got also have cape honeysuckle and some re blooming clemattis very pretty.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 5, 2010
5:20 PM

Post #7862004

that snake bit the hound dog lady her neck is all swolen she looks bad but she is syill eating everything we give her and playing wiyh yhe oyher dogs bill says she will be fine. i hope so poor thing.
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

June 5, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #7862137

Sorry I haven't been around everyone. With two gardens of irises it keeps me busy. I see a few request for help with their iris seedpods. I'll find a link for you guys to checkout. It should help answer your questions.

I see skellog is still here and so is Jan. The goth girl visited while I was gone also. I have to stop by more often I guess. I'm enjoying Courtney's songs Mechelle. She is blessed with a awesome voice. RRM I'll be digging irises soon for you.

Today was our 4th day over 90 and tomorrow will be the same until the cold front moves thru in the afternoon. I tried to get some work done in the garden today but it was just too hot and humid.

Mit
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #7862149

Sorry Nettie, hope the dog stays well. Those snakes are bad on the pets. Poor baby.
I have one ground orchid that blooms white. What kind do you have Nettie? I may have enough to share a piece of mine with you if yours is different. I'll have to go look and see if I can find the name of mine somewhere. It's name got washed off the pot it is in, but it shoots up a spike and blooms white blooms all the way up it.
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #7862155

Sorry Mitt, we over posted. It's in the 90's here too. Suppose to be 92 tomorrow. Too hot to go outside at all. You try to drink lots of fluid and stay hydrated if you work outside. Take care.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7862169

Hope your doggie is OK Nettie! I don't like snakes...

Hi Mit - long time no see. It was 108 today and supposed to be 110 tomorrow and I think 112 Monday. I'm so ready for summer to be over - geez. I love Phoenix, except in the summer. I have to keep reminding myself how nice it is to live here 9 months out of the year - lol.
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

June 5, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7862193

Hi Kelly, how does mom like all that heat?

We get the heat but usually in August. In June we should be in the 70s. When the heat comes so does the humidity. It's just so muggy and uncomfortable sometimes. This morning at 7, I was staying outside talking with a neighbor and my clothes were sticking to me. yuck

This is unusual for this time of year. I can't get out to play in the dirt
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2010
7:00 PM

Post #7862252

Us too Mitt. But it goes from 80-90 and back to 75 then back to 85 to 90 again and 92 tomorrow. 100 percent humidity. Rain every day for the last couple weeks. I can't breathe outside these days.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2010
7:03 PM

Post #7862258

Hi Mitt- thanks for watching Courtney's videos. We really enjoy her singing and it's good family time for us to go watch her. I have a couple of new videos to upload from last night. She was singing and a string popped on her guitar in the middle of a song! She tried to play through it but stopped. It was funny but that happens to musicians all the time.

Kelly- omg.. 108 is just wayyy to hot. We used to have really hot days in CA over 100 like that and it was just dry heat. We are supposed to be in the 90's this week. I have been trying to get outside in the morning and evening when it's cooler. I drink lots of iced tea with hardly any sugar all day when I am working outside. All those sugary drinks make you more dehydrated so I use 1/2 cup of sugar to a gallon of tea. Tea is also a good diuretic so you don't hold on to all that water..

Nettie- poor doggie.. I hate snakes. A friend of ours was helping out in the woods behind our house and said he saw a water mocassin. I have never seen one but I won't be going out in the woods any time soon! eek!

Miss Mekos, how are you ladybug? We need to do something fun around here.. I still want to do a little contest to help name my foal. Wanna help me plan it? Dmail me if you do.. ;-)

This is a pretty Japanese Iris that Seray sent me last year. Pretty isn't it? The bloom just opened today.. Have a good night everyone ;-)

Thumbnail by MechelleT

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7862275

Mit - my Mom likes the heat. I tell her it's because she doesn't have to live in it for months at a time... Maine is humid like you guys. My Dad said it's been raining almost every day for the last week and today it was only 59. Crazy weather for them too. It's normally in the 70s about now. I'd so love to not have to water my gardens. They barely ever water and I have to water all the time. I'm trying every 3 days with the veggies - they're all in raised beds so dry out faster than stuff in the ground. Most of my pots have to be watered every day except the Irises and the shade pots. Every 3 or 4 days for them. Can't wait for fall to plant all the Irises and Daylilys that are potted in the ground. Seray sent me 3 Daylilys last year. Jungle Beauty and Joan Senior have scapes and I'm impatiently awaiting blooms. 42nd Street was a seedling and doesn't look like it will bloom this year. Oh, and I had a rain lily blooming this am - crazy since it hasn't rained - lol. They get a lot of water though and are in good soil so they are happy...

Mechelle - you get used to the heat but you don't have to like it - lol... Courtney's videos are great - keep 'em comin'! The Iris is pretty!

Hi Miss Mekos - hope you're well. While I'm melting here I will be looking to you all to keep me in blooms until fall.
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

June 5, 2010
7:11 PM

Post #7862277

Nettie, your garden is gorgeous! Sure hope you dog comes out of it okay. We had a rattler bite one of our dogs once, and boy was she sick for days! Her poor head and neck swelled some thing fierce, but she kept food down and drank tons of water. After a few days she recovered completely, except after that she sure hated snakes! She would go out and hunt them, I swear! Then she killed them and brought them to the house and left those stinking dead snakes everywhere! She was so proud of herself for killing them, lol!
Our weather has been absolutely pleasant! Not too hot, not too cold, about 65-70 during the day, but we have been getting some strong wind and a little rain at night! Perfect almost! So glad we don't have the heat and humidity that some of you are getting. No irises blooming yet here tho :-( Not much blooming of anything yet, but the lilacs are starting, and smell heavenly!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7862284

Yeah Sandi - glad you're finally getting some nice weather!
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

June 5, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7862293

So much easier than your 100 plus temps! I don't want to work tho, just want to stay outside in the gardens working instead, lol. The down side is we need to mow the grass about every 3 days, it's growing that much!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2010
7:18 PM

Post #7862295

65-70 is just perfect Sandi!

My little garden helper.. Sylvester, lol ..

Thumbnail by MechelleT

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

June 5, 2010
7:20 PM

Post #7862304

OMG Mechelle! Sylvester is adorable! Your gardens look so lush! Very nice!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2010
7:23 PM

Post #7862311

What a cute kitty kitty! And I agree with Sandi - very lush!!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #7862335

That bed has everything in it.. It was here when we bought the house but it's been fun ID'ing it all. Here's what it has:
TB Iris
Daylies, orange and yellow
Bee Balm
Butterfly Weed
Variegated Vinca
Vinca
Dusty Miller
Peony
Ivy
Tiger Lilies
Crinum
Lily Turf grass
Daffodils
La. Iris

Probably more I can't think of right now, lol.. There are a few weeds too! I will try to get a full picture for you guys.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #7862336

Look what opened this morning - a rain lily with no rain!

Thumbnail by locakelly

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #7862338

Here's a pic of the 'mater harvest for today... Thought I'd share.

There are Steak Sandwich, Bloody Butcher, a Phoenix (the barely blushing one, lower left), Dr. Carolyn Pink (big cherry), Sun Sugar (orange), Gartenperle and I think a Pink Brandywine. Oh, and a tiny funny looking Cold Set near the top right. This is the only plant that survived out two cold December days and is now loaded with 'maters...

Thumbnail by locakelly

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2010
7:34 PM

Post #7862339

Pretty Kelly!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7862349

Thanks Chelle... Excuse the weeds though. They make a great groundcover/mulch - lol...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2010
7:36 PM

Post #7862355

Nice tomatoes too! I can't wait til mine are ready .. There is nothing better than fresh garden tomatoes
skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

June 5, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #7862397

Just finished eating supper, but Wow! sure would love to have some of those maters for dessert, lol! They look great! Sure hope mine are that prolific! Love home grown maters! They look delicious!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2010
9:52 PM

Post #7862808

I will not eat a store tomato anymore. If I don't have them in the garden I'll but them at the Farmer's Market... No comparison on taste. You can tell the hybrid 'mater in the bunch - the Phoenix in the lower left corner. Smooth as a baby's bottom and not a crack or blemish on it - lol. I love Heirlooms for their quirky looks and yummy taste.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2010
9:57 PM

Post #7862829

I agree with you on that Kelly. You can just taste the difference straight away. We have a nice little Farmers Market down here that I went to the other day and got some tomatoes, zucchini and a cantaloupe. The cantaloupe was one I had never seen before. The skin on the outside looked different and the flesh was a lighter peach color than most. I was going to save the seeds but I didn't really care for the taste of it. It just wasn't real sweet. It tasted good and you could tell it was a cantaloupe but it was just kinda plain, lol..

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 5, 2010
10:05 PM

Post #7862845

Was it a small canteloupe? Sounds like it may be a Minnesota Midget. They are really good - I grow them. With melons it is best to not water them the last couple weeks as they ripen for the sweetest flavor. That's easy to do in the desert because we never get rain - lol. Harder where it rains like Tennessee.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2010
10:31 PM

Post #7862878

No, actully it was a little bigger than usual. I didn't ask him what kind it was. Next time I go back I'm going to ask him.
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #7863083

hi guys, nice to see you all.. Been busy here..Tod Gordon from the Dahlia forum had a lil contest and I won a box of dahlia tubers so of course I spent last few of days making a bed for them.. Actually I added onto the ends of a bed I already had in progress.. It has black and blue salvia in the center of the bed (which is a pretty light green foliage) mixed gladiolus in with the salvia.Tall Purple phlox in the back(still small) marigolds at the front of the bed and I had one yellow dahlia already blooming on the end..

I scraped out all the grass off each end and added, 4 dahlias, 5 amaryllis. and loads of baby wave petunias that I started from seeds to each end.. Right now it sorta looks naked and plain out there..I need to go get a load of pecan hulls to put in there around them but the truck is in the shop again grrr... Hope the petunias fill in before the grass does lol..Trish
huneybunch_2000
Montrose, AR
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2010
5:44 AM

Post #7863181

heres a great link explaining hybridizing and growing iris seeds for those of you who were asking

http://leticia.smugmug.com/Flowers/Iris-Hybridizing/1222403_uHtX8#57316497_jMUXY

One Way to Plant Bearded Iris Seeds By Paul Black
http://home.flash.net/~mindpath/ssis/oneway.htm

Thread @ DG
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1053553/?hl=iris seeds
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

June 6, 2010
5:46 AM

Post #7863189

Good morning Everyone
Here is that link I had mentioned last night for the iris seedpods.

Dan (zacattack) has put this together a few year ago and it's been a great help for everyone. Thanks Dan !!!
http://leticia.smugmug.com/Flowers/Iris-Hybridizing/1222403

I saw something else someone posted when I was reading yesterday. If I can find it I'll post that also for you.

Mit

Thumbnail by Mitt

skellogg
Sundance, WY
(Zone 3b)

June 6, 2010
6:23 AM

Post #7863244

Good morning all! Not quite 50 degrees outside yet this morning, and everything is covered with dew, but going out to play in the dirt anyway! It will warm up soon enough. Where do you all find petunia seeds, especially the wave ones? And calibracoa seeds, too, as far as that goes? Sure wish I could find some, I'd start tons of them and save buying them by the dozens every year.
Thanks Mit! Makes things much easier, and now I know there are things I should have done different! Seems I always do something wrong, teehee!
Mindy03
Monticello, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2010
6:28 AM

Post #7863250

Thanks Mitt those links were very interesting and informative. I'm going to let Mother Nature do the watering LOL when I try starting from seeds. I have plenty of time to make a seeding area.
Mitt
Philadelphia, PA

June 6, 2010
6:46 AM

Post #7863284

I see Trish posted at the same time I did. Sorry Trish

I think it takes about 2 months for the pods to ripen. You'll notice they'll go from green to a tan or brown color and they'll start to split open. At the first sign of splitting remove the seedpods so you don't lose any seeds

I have found that most of the bee polinated don't have any seeds or very few seeds. I must have over a hundred pods this year from the bees. The ones I crossed have the white tags on them ;-)
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
10:25 AM

Post #7863891

Mitt and Huney, thanks for posting that amazing link on hybridizing Iris. That was interesting from start to finish. Makes me want to try it .
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #7864059

Look what I found outside on La. Iris

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #7864065

New Daylily bloom today

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
11:43 AM

Post #7864074

here's the full shot of the bed from Sylvester's picture

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
11:46 AM

Post #7864081

another new DL bloom

Thumbnail by MechelleT

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 6, 2010
12:49 PM

Post #7864258

mekos my orchids are all pink. i keep myne in the ground all year they have never been hurt by the weather that i can think of i ordered some of the white but didn.t get one. if i did it nevre bloomed. yhe climbing lily is up about 5 feet it is planted out side also. love nettie
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 6, 2010
1:19 PM

Post #7864353

that crazy lady dog tried to keep the coon run off last night she almost drove me crazy we have 2 coon out back at the barn they love cat and dog food we may have to have fish and game re locate them lady is fine her face and neck are not swolen very much today she eats and drinks fine. dh says she is gona be fine you would think she would not boyher the coon that big one clawed her up good the last time she jumped on him. the small one is femail bid one is male they just need ro go back in the woodsthey are not afraid of people. cause bill has tried to run them off they just go up the big oak tree and watch you.we didn,t plant corn this year if we had they would never leave. if its not one thing its another. i don,t like to kill anything and bill won,t either. love nettie
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #7864725

Yay! I got 3 nice cukes out of my garden today! First harvest ;-)

Glad your dog is ok Nettie. At least she is doing her job barking at the critters. I guess mine are just high fiving the rabbits as they waltz right in my garden. wanted to cry this morning.. DH will be back on Tue night so hopefully he can help me get the electric line finished to keep them out. I have been working so hard in that darn garden and it gets me so mad when I go in there and my rows are all messed up.

Working on a special contest for everyone. Will keep you posted and announce later tonight.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 6, 2010
6:04 PM

Post #7865095

Congrats on the cukes Chelle! And good luck with those bunnies. They are oh so cute but oh so destructive...
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #7865149

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1105112/
The link for the "NAME THE FOAL CONTEST"
Hope it works. Mechelle go post the picture of the Foal so they can start posting possible names. Hurry.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2010 9:33 PM
mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 6, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7865177

I posted that link 3 times and it kept going to cyber space. Grrrr!
OK, now after the picture gets posted on there, everyone can go make a post and put in a name or names you want to submit. Just waiting on the picture.
If you want to add names later, just edit your same post so not to make the thread real long.
Lots of good seeds and plants for the winning name!
Hi Nettie, I've never seen the pink ground orchids. Only white. Mine is hardy here, but I got it in late fall and was afraid I would forget where it was or it would die from being new and roots not deep enough during winter so I kept mine in a pot. If you want to trade a piece, I'll be happy to and we'd both have both colors.
Can't wait for my maters to get ripe. Slurp! Still green!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
7:32 PM

Post #7865374

Ok, I added a picture I had of the little colt. Start guessing names and win a big seed and plant pot!
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 6, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7865500

mechelle nice liyyle calla lili all my white spotted ones are white in color don;t know if yours will be or not.they look real healthy. all of my calla are planted outside they have always come up in late pring love nettie im zone 7a or b and mulch everything.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #7865604

You don't live too far from me, Nettie. I bet they will have white flowers too. I mulch everything too, but that doesn't always work! I am making "Weed N Feed" my new best friend this year ;-)
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 6, 2010
9:23 PM

Post #7865665

al i gave my neighbor some cone flowers last year and i told him they would need some water if we didn;t get rain last summor he didn,t water them and they died he came back in the spring after more i didn,t give him any more im mean he would just kill them again. i grew those from seed about 10 years ago started them inside in a bright window they have a real big root system weig a tone when you dig them. i took a bunch out to the golf course last year. first time they mowed this year they mowed them down they don,t get anymore either. it makes me sick when people kill stuff. if someone gives me smoyhing i take real good care to do good by it. i love to give people plants but not to kill them thats sad. oh my i need to go to bed not in a good mood love and hugs nettie.
littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 6, 2010
10:28 PM

Post #7865733

rrm does the pitcher plant grow wild in your part of the country, some one told me that just thought id ask nettie
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2010
5:09 AM

Post #7865978

Good Morning

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 7, 2010
8:53 AM

Post #7866639

Over on the East Coast, I understand. I have some in my bog and they are doing great. Better watch out!!! They are addictive.
Nettie, they bloom too.

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2010

Post #7866647

Nettie, they grow wild in Florida where blondie lives. She had posted pics one time of them, fields of them...
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010

Post #7866648

Love your bog rrm! Looks awesome.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010
8:57 AM

Post #7866651

where is blondie btw? Haven't seen her in forever.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 7, 2010
8:59 AM

Post #7866660

See that big leaf down in the corner. Sunflower that the birds planted and that thing is big. i should have pulled it up but No I didn't. Now look at it here with my cleome. it's a monster.

mekos
Fair Play, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
9:45 AM

Post #7866791

Blondie was having puter problems for a while but now she is volunteering at her favorite nursery on her days off from where she normally works. She stays pretty busy right now.
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010
10:32 AM

Post #7866968

Good for her ;-) Hope she comes out to play again soon, lol
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010
12:30 PM

Post #7867349

New DL bloom today.. don't know the name.. I think the lawnmower has been eating my tags ;-)

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #7867352

and another DL

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010
12:35 PM

Post #7867360

Hollyhock.. no flowers yet.. don't know the color.. the nursery was selling them for $1! She didn't know the color.. she said she sells them before they have a chance to bloom. It was about 6 inches tall when I got it.

Thumbnail by MechelleT

MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #7867368

This is the black Hollyhock I grew from seed over the winter in the house.. I wish they flowered the first year :(

Thumbnail by MechelleT

flowerfantasy
Washington, IN
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2010
12:38 PM

Post #7867371

Hey all I really think there needs to be a new thread started. I am on Satellite and it is taking for ever to load up.
Ayrica
Castlewood, SD

June 7, 2010
1:53 PM

Post #7867542

Mechelle... gorgeous flowers you have ! and I took a peek at the colt ~ how precious !!
MechelleT
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #7868107

Thank you Ayrica!

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #7868347

New thread - this one is real looooooooooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggggggg...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1105408/

littlenettie
Booneville, AR

June 8, 2010
11:03 AM

Post #7869997

loca that thread rook me to outer space nothing there. love nettie

locakelly

locakelly
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2010
11:15 AM

Post #7870017

Works for me nettie... Try clicking on The Garden Talk forum link right below here and then click on the new thread from there. The one dated 06/07/2010...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America