Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Insect and Spider Identification: Tiny, red-orange insects in my strawberry bed

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Bubbeez
Fond Du Lac, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2010
10:01 AM

Post #7800722

So last year my strawberry bed had some strange, tiny, red-orange insects crawling around it during summer. I didn't want to spray insecticide around my berries so I just killed what I could see with my shoe. I was just weeding the area this weekend when I noticed red-orange pods laying in groups on top and sometimes on the undersides of the strawberry leaves. I'm a little discouraged, I don't know what I'm dealing with here. I've plucked the pod-infested leaves that I've found but I'm sure I can't find them all! Am I going to have to burn my strawberry beds to the ground? :)

I'll post a picture of the pods tonight. I didn't have a camera available yesterday.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2010
12:57 PM

Post #7807785

Yes, post images on this thread as soon as you can and we'll help you with an ID.
Bubbeez
Fond Du Lac, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7817937

Finally got a camera!

Thumbnail by Bubbeez
Click the image for an enlarged view.

suunto
Sinks Grove, WV

May 23, 2010
8:05 AM

Post #7819452

These are too small to obtain a clear image, but these look more like beetle eggs to me than anything else - see http://tinyurl.com/2e2lk2b for an image of lady beetle eggs.
Bubbeez
Fond Du Lac, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 23, 2010
8:57 AM

Post #7819566

The link eggs aren't as oval as the ones I have? I've taken a closer pic.

Thumbnail by Bubbeez
Click the image for an enlarged view.

suunto
Sinks Grove, WV

May 23, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #7819632

Those were meant simply as an example not as an exact match for yours. See http://tinyurl.com/26zbr9v for a different example. BTW, a couple of the eggs in your image appear somewhat desiccated.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America