Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: The Story of Iris Part 2 How to pick your iris: Dutch iris and squirrels?

Communities > Forums > Article: The Story of Iris Part 2 How to pick your iris
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Story of Iris Part 2 How to pick your irisReplies: 2, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Noelle216
Bayside, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #7804025

Hello everyone.

I planted 250 plump, healthy Dutch iris bulbs last October in full sun, in well-drained fertile soil, at the proper planting depth. (I have hundreds of thriving bulbs and rhizomes, including German, Siberian, and reticulata irises). Only about 20 Dutch irises have bloomed this spring. I didn't witness any squirrels eating these bulbs, but they are probably the culprit. My garden has no other 4-legged pests. Would someone please confirm whether squirrels like Dutch iris bulbs? They eat my crocuses and some tulips like candy...!
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2010
12:31 PM

Post #7804764

They love them... sorry.
Noelle216
Bayside, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2010
2:02 PM

Post #7804969

Thanks Mitch. I might try again this fall, since the Dutch iris bulbs are affordable. This time, I'll dip the bulbs in some hot pepper, vinegar and garlic sauce before planting, to see if that discourages the little thieves!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Story of Iris Part 2 How to pick your iris Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wonderful article doccat5 12 Feb 9, 2008 3:06 PM
Iris Lover's heart rate quickens sycamoreshirl 1 Jan 28, 2008 2:59 PM
Iris pictured january 23, 2008 article texassunbird 1 Jun 10, 2009 2:44 PM
Pajaritomt greenjay 2 Feb 20, 2010 5:24 AM
THAT'S THE ONE!!!!!!! speediebean 0 Dec 19, 2013 4:06 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America