Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: My patio farm diary, the back forty square feet: Patio Garden

Communities > Forums > Article: My patio farm diary, the back forty square feet
bookmark
Forum: Article: My patio farm diary, the back forty square feetReplies: 0, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
omasuziq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #7805073

Jan, is there anything better than a fresh-off-the vine, sun-warmed tomato? I think not. I've been lucky here in NYC to have the Union Square Farmers Market available to me for sampling different kinds of produce. Besides tomatoes, then, I'd be tempted to plant Fushimi peppers, a Japanese variety that is not "hot" but quite nice simply sauteed in oil with a bit of black pepper added. "Little Lucy" Okra can also be patio-grown. The plant and its purple pods are beautiful and the pods stay purple when cooked. (Yes, that does get raised eyebrows and I know not everyone likes okra!) There are many varieties of Mid-Eastern cucumbers that have very thin skins and few/no seeds. And there is Thai basil - I like the purple-leafed variety, but there are many others. I think herbs in general deserve a place in a patio garden.

Thanks for reminding us you don't need an acre to have a "comestible garden."

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: My patio farm diary, the back forty square feet Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
inspirational Dutchlady1 6 Nov 9, 2008 10:54 AM
love the sugary! onewish1 4 Nov 10, 2008 10:01 PM
Nice phicks 1 Nov 9, 2008 11:02 AM
great article, gram vossner 1 Nov 9, 2008 11:01 AM
Wonderful article Aunt_A 1 Nov 9, 2008 10:57 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America