Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Vita Sackville-West: Vita Sackville-West

Communities > Forums > Article: Vita Sackville-West
bookmark
Forum: Article: Vita Sackville-WestReplies: 2, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
omasuziq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2010
3:23 PM

Post #7805233

Sue, I have never had the pleasure of visiting Sissinghurst but can say Vita's choices of color schemes and plant material have been an inspiration to me, if only through books. Thanks for the reminder of that inspiration. Another DG member mentioned Gertrude Jekyll as another influence, and I would second that. Then there is Christopher Lloyd, the "curmudgeon" (my words) of Great Dexter. I think there is nothing wrong with holding strict opinions, as long as you realize you may be in the minority. I don't imagine he cared about that.

My question is: Who is taking their places now in garden design?
kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

May 18, 2010
10:01 PM

Post #7806055

I think the two women who took over Sissinghurst Pamela Schwerdt and Sibylle Kreutzberger deserve a lot of credit for keeping Vita's Sissinghurst style going after she died.

I was fortunate to visit Great Dixter when Christopher Lloyd was still alive but it looks like the garden is now in the safe hands of his former head gardener Fergus Garrett.

The Alnwick garden is a great example of contemporary garden design and there are still revolutionary designers like Piet Oudolf working today.
omasuziq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2010
3:27 PM

Post #7811578

Thanks, Knophofia (another plant I love that is often neglected). Your response sent me ASAP to the Web. I take it Alnwick is a work is progress, so if you are near there, it must be interesting to watch the development. As for Piet Oudorf, I had forgotten he planned one of the most interesting recent developments in New York City - the High Line. An elevated and abandoned railroad bed has been turned into an extended walkway (landscaped) from the now trendy (?) meat-packing district northward. It was only partially completed when I took visitors last year, but it was stunning. For any garden lover visiting NY, I recommend it - and it's free.

Also thank you for gently reminding me that Christopher Lloyd oversaw Great Dixter, not Great Dexter, as I originally mistyped it. Glad to see his legacy appears to be in good hands.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Vita Sackville-West Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My favorite garden writer! Hemophobic 5 May 12, 2010 10:49 PM
Thanks gwen21 0 May 12, 2010 6:37 AM
Sissinghurst daphnep 1 May 12, 2010 10:51 PM
Loved Sissinghurst lisablystone 3 Mar 16, 2012 9:06 PM
descendant of Sir Richard Baker! mybrigadoon 0 May 18, 2010 2:19 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America