Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Talk: Preen

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 3, Views: 86
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2010
4:34 PM

Post #7805365

Bought about 200 lbs of this and sprinkled in 20 gardens last spring, don't really know ifi it kept down the weeds or not, do c ottage style gardening, do know it wiped out aqlot of my annuals that self sow. Was sick with many illnesses thaqt I tested positive for from Aug to November including Rheumatoid arthritis, MCTD, psorasis and a few others. Am fine now, but it was hell. wondering if this was the cause of these flare ups. Thanks Annette
onyxwar
Greeley, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7821078

Annette,

Preen is suppose to keep seeds from germinating, that is why your annuals were not able to sprout.

As for your illnesses, I doubt the product had anything to do with it. RA is a long term thing and will not go away if you stop using a product and I believe it is hereditary (I know since I have it). It may have inflamed your psoriasis since it is an irritant, but I doubt it would still be in the market if it caused major medical problems (well maybe w/ a warning stating that it could cause...).

I hope you have a better year and have many new annuals to replace the ones you lost.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #7823812

So sorry to hear about your illness It does sound like there's a connection. I assume you have done a lot of research on the topic. That's a lot of preen.
I haven't used Preen for a few years. I like to watch what reseeds and with preen you can't do that. However, I sure have been pulling a lot of weeds. I haven't mulched yet either as I have been waiting to see what comes up from seed. It's time now to mulch, however.
I sure hope things continue to get better for you.
I have an auto immune disease as well, and they do really weird things to your body.
kobwebz
columbia, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
2:44 AM

Post #7825037

Thanks for your input, I am doing much better, won't use the preen again, not worth the risk of going what I went through. Gardens are doing great,

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America