Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Caudiciforms: Adenium Virus

Communities > Forums > Caudiciforms
bookmark
Forum: CaudiciformsReplies: 11, Views: 138
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

May 19, 2010
4:33 AM

Post #7806278

Something none of us want to know, BUT our beloved plants are at risk. Sap sucking bugs can bring a virus. Cucumber mosaic has been identified in Desert Roses.

Please read this slide show as a magazine article. Click the little photo up to the right to get the next frame. Valuable information.

There is hope, a plant can recover. But you don't want one plant to infect all your plants.

Please take a bit of time for this.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2898095620096136003vjfhjH

Melissa

Thumbnail by Molamola
Click the image for an enlarged view.

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

May 24, 2010
9:38 AM

Post #7822759

Now I am worried my leaves look mottled!!!
C
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

May 24, 2010
5:12 PM

Post #7824037

Some recover with plenty of food, light is food as well as fertilizer, and warmpth. Who wants to be cold and shivvering? lol
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

May 24, 2010
7:24 PM

Post #7824450

LOL No one shivers in TX in the spring, summer or fall!
C
froggie_adg
New Bern, NC
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #7878534

Thanks for that link Melissa it was very interesting. So sad that all those beauties had to be destroyed. After reading the article I am much more educated I recommend all DR growers to read it.
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2010
9:29 PM

Post #8019448

I dont see anything undesirable about the virus effects.
This type of virus rarely kills a plant unless its incredibly sick already.
The virus will also only show in times of stress, soooo
Which have it and which dont?
I think it nothing of consequence, Interesting effects on the flowers but no worries in my book.
Interesting slideshow, thanks ;)
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

September 3, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #8079171

I ordered 4 new plants this spring. One was supposed to be a grafted lucky lucky white. It is pink and to me it looks like the pictures here, blotchy flowers and leaves. It isn't really showing any other signs and has bloomed all year and still has some flowers now. It sits adjacent to the other plants and now I am worried. So far the flowers seem normal other than the blotchiness. I do think, though am not sure, they didn't look quite like that when they first started blooming this spring.
C
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

September 8, 2010
8:53 AM

Post #8087080

I would make sure that none of the leaves touch another DR.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

September 8, 2010
9:57 AM

Post #8087188

TOO LATE! They have been together all spring and summer. I will see what happens to all of them. Not buying anymore plants for now though. I will post a pic of the suspect plant soon.
C
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2010
7:26 PM

Post #8088187

if you r that concerned then its way too late as bugs have the primary responsibility of spreading it as they suck on plant to plant.
Dont chuck em out, send them tome, I dont mind the virus. Ive dealt with it for years on other plants and have yet to have it spread except by injecting infected juices into another plant intentionally, yes it worked and the results were unbelievable. Noone believed the flowers to be the species we claimed.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

September 8, 2010
7:46 PM

Post #8088214

Well the grafted plant that is infected has bloomed all season. My other new ones are seedlings and didnt bloom but put on a lot of growth. My old plant blooms once for a few weeks and then not at all. If they are infected guess I will find out soon enough. The flowers have been pretty but for me its all about the odd shapes of the caudex. A few pics but not sure you can see what I do in person.
C

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

September 8, 2010
7:48 PM

Post #8088219

They are inside due to a tropical storm and lighting is bad right now.

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America