Photo by Melody

Water Gardens: What plants do you have besides lilies?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 52, Views: 359
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 19, 2010
5:30 PM

Post #7808593

I have some lilies, what water pond doesn't have those?
But I was wondering about other plants, along the edge either on the bank side or in the edge of the water. I was thinking cannas but I think those don't grow in water or is there a different kind? I bought some parrot feathr and then soeone told me they don't make the winter :( I thought those would be hardy. Tried duck week which I just love the look of, but my goldies at that right down like salad lol
My local nursery had creeping penny (sp?) and I thought that was kind of nice.

any other ideas?
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2010
9:15 AM

Post #7813623

Actually I have grown cannas in water. If you let them start to leaf out first, then you won't have a problem. I learned by accident after order a whole bunch of rhizomes and never getting around to planting them. I just had them in a bucket, which filled with water after the rain (and then a few tadpoles) and bam...cannas...SO I stuck them in half cement blocks (which is what I plant everything in my pond in) with no soil, only gravel and larger rounded black river stones on the top to the koi can't pick through, and they do very well along the plant shelves. I have also done elephant ears and umbrella palm that way. I saw one person who had a rock edge, tuck hosta in the cracks of her boulders where the roots would get a little wet, and the grew and grew.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

May 25, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7827835

FrillyLilly,
I think you mean creeping jenny. I had that growing in a container in the water fall several years ago. It did very well. grew and hung down over the falls. I would think you could put it in the margins.
Helen
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2010
7:15 PM

Post #7827867

creeping jenny might be right, I couldn't read the tag very good.

Glad that it did ok for you IN the water. I might try that.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 28, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #7837139

i have the most fragrant canna! they bloom in the evening and the fragrance is most strong then. by the next day it just has that normal canna smell. my friend that gave it to me does not believe me! haha! i think that's because canna are not supposed to be fragrant.

i can pass on a few starts if some ppl want to try them out. you pay usps priorty shipping charges. just dmail me.

the first blooms of the season will open soon...

Thumbnail by tucsonplumeriaz
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 28, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #7837558

do you know the full story? have you talked to dave about the terms of his contract?
helenchild
Decatur, GA

May 28, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #7837926

I think I should have put my variegated pickerel weed here. I am thinking it is a sport but maybe its common.
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild

tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 28, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7837997

those are nice helenchild.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7838147

really like that pickerel weed.

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7838149

I would have to pass on the cannas as they are not hardy here.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2010
7:50 AM

Post #7839244

Frilly -

What zone are you in?
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

May 29, 2010
7:52 AM

Post #7839255

i thought you were thinking about them? : )
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2010
12:53 PM

Post #7840106

I am zone 5? sometimes gets 10 below, whatever zone that would be.
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2010
8:01 AM

Post #7842139

Hostas will do great tucked into rock crevices like MM said. I have had hosta come back through the winter for 2 years now, pretty cool! I'm zone 5ish-6 so they would work for you Frilly. Japanese Rush 'Ogon' also does pretty well for me in the bog part of my pond. And that one's pretty easy to come by- I saw it at HD the other day.
Creeping Jenny will grow great next to the pond, and once it grows into the pond and makes some "water roots" (not a technical term lol) you can break it off and grow it elsewhere in the pond. Ajuga does the same thing - looks great trailing into the pond.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2010
8:54 AM

Post #7842292

Don't hostas need shade even for a pond? My pond is full sun. I have some ajuga I could try.
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2010
9:48 AM

Post #7842466

I was worried about it too because my pond is in full on full day sun - so I put a hosta division in I could stand to lose...so far after 2 years of the experiment I haven't seen any sun scalding or wilt from the sun. I have it tucked pretty good into rocks so I think it shades it a little bit - but it definitely gets a lot of sun all day long.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2010
1:34 PM

Post #7843136

hmmm maybe the water keeps it good? I would think the water would reflect light and cause even faster scorching, that seems odd.

I have heard that coleus will grow in water.
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

May 30, 2010
2:08 PM

Post #7843219

Here's a picture of my hosta. It's not shaded much by rocks in the heat of the day, turns out. I don't know why it does so well! It's in a spot at least as hot and sunny as this pic makes it look.

Thumbnail by art_n_garden

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2010
2:37 PM

Post #7843290

wow, gonna try that idea :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2010
5:59 PM

Post #7843812

Frilly

I am in zone 5 and I have many different colors of the water iris, water forget me not and in the picture I have attached, I have a hardy hibiscus that blooms in August. Next to it in this picture is water celery, which you can see the white Queen Anne's Lace like flowers that it gets. I have also put in recently Cardinal Flower, another hibiscus, Blue Lobelia, Bog Bean and the Marsh Marigold is nice too.

I also have the Creeping Jenny that Art-N-The-Garden is talking about. It is nice because it spread so well and had these nice yellow flowers in early Summer.

Last year, I put in 2 different type of Arrowheads and they both came back this year. Acorus is nice also as well as Zebra Rush.

We have had the Pickerel Weed growing and I just love that. I have the kind with the blue flower - you can get them with white flowers and recently I saw one for sale that was supposed to have Pink Flowers - this one was not if flower when I saw it.

There are a multitude of plants in our zone that you can use.

Carolyn

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #7844201

I have had great succes with Hosta's planted directly into rock crevise in my pond. Have come back for three years now. They get afternoon sun too.

Iris

Thumbnail by BeaHive

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #7844391

ok, so does the hibiscus live IN the water?

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2010
12:21 PM

Post #7846050

Frilly

yes, mine are in a couple of inches of water. My shelves are filled with pea gravel and I plant my plants directly into the pea gravel.

I bought a red one recently, so I am hoping that one will add as much as the pink one adds. It did take the hibiscus a couple of years to flower, but each year, the stem got bigger and stronger so I don't know if they have to be a certain size or age. I don't fertilize these plants in the shelves, but I probably should.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #7852132

here is my creeping jenny, It looks like it is dying. Is it too deep in the water?

Thumbnail by FrillyLily

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2010
11:16 AM

Post #7852142

here is my corkscrew grass. It is in the water quite a ways, is that ok?

Thumbnail by FrillyLily

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2010
11:18 AM

Post #7852155

here is a pic to show the depth of the creeping jenny

Thumbnail by FrillyLily

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #7852177

depth of the corkscrew

Thumbnail by FrillyLily

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2010
11:32 AM

Post #7852206

here is a siberian iris, is this ok? I will put some gravel in on the top when I get to it, I have had a robin digging around in there after something...

Thumbnail by FrillyLily

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #7852232

this is a kopper king hibiscus. Will it grow w/o soil? I think they get pretty large root systems, so I don't see how I could pot that.
well anyway, it was on the compost pile, and dh set it on fire, and I grabbed it out before it got too bad, now I don't know what to do with it though?

Thumbnail by FrillyLily

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

June 2, 2010
2:55 PM

Post #7852812

In the past I've planted plants that really shouldn't be in water. It's traditionally too hot in Central Florida for hosta, so I grow it in water only, in vases with tadpoles out on my back deck in the full sun. Seems to work like a charm! Experiment and see what works, it's amazing what you'll come up with. "Most" plants that already have their leaves, will take to accepting water much more than if you just try to plant roots or tubers.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2010
5:04 PM

Post #7853276

Frilly

I have creeping jenny growing in pea gravel in my pond - you can see it on the far right in this picture.. The creeping jenny does tend to get a bit brown after it has been in the direct sun for a while. I would think the way you have the creeping jenny, that it will stay nice and moist and eventually cascade down the sides of your pot and look really pretty.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2010
9:06 PM

Post #7871532

will bamboo live in a pond? I really really really want some of this very tall bamboo that is sort of a yellowish color on the stalks? I have been told that it is highly invasive, the local store has some but it says only hardy to 40F. A woman up the road from me has some that appears the same thing? but she says it comes back every year and will spread. I don't want anything invasive in my yard, but I wondered if I potted it in a large tub and put drain holes in the bottom, could I set it IN the pond?

newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

June 10, 2010
1:18 AM

Post #7874949

Some hosta tolerate more sun than other so you need to find out which varieties will work best. Yellowish or chartreuse varieties seem more able to withstand sun than greens or blues. I only have a few hosta since moving to TX as the sun, heat and dryness are too much for them. I keep a couple in the only part of my yard that retains a little water and gets only morning sun. I am working on putting in a pond and now after reading this might include some hosta depending on the ponds final layout.
BTW pics on here have inspired me to get started on this pond, finally!
C
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2010
11:48 AM

Post #7876124

An update to my pond.

Thumbnail by FrillyLily

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #7876131

I want to plant red clematis on the bed trellis. The gravel in the pic gets dumped right there in the front.
Still don't have any electric hooked up yet. Should I use a solar light around the pond, or an electric?
I don't want to run anything that will raise my bill alot, but the power lighting I think would be stronger?
helenchild
Decatur, GA

June 10, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #7877473

Its going to be nice. Lots of work I am sure.
Helen
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #7877481

yes, it is, my chiropractor is making a killlllling LOL

art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2010
8:42 PM

Post #7877535

Looks so good Frilly! I love how open and large it is. I wish I had room like that. I can only imagine how much work it's been.

I found a new plant I've never seen around a pond (seen the plant, but didn't realize it was pond-worthy) - bloody dock. It seems like some places it is invasive, but I'm thinking in a pot or in a cold enough zone, it would be great around the pond. I just put one in the ground on the edge of my pond...shall see how it goes!
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/96266/
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #7877550

ooo, I like it!
I will add that to my want list !
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2010
8:53 PM

Post #7877569

If it's really as "generous in spirit" (lol, read *invasive*) as some say it is, maybe I'll have some to share soon!
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

June 15, 2010
4:32 PM

Post #7891651

Hey art n garden did you order your Bloody Dock or get it locally. I really want this plant and would like to find it locally.
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7891860

I got it at Summerland Gardens, here in the Springs.
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

June 15, 2010
6:22 PM

Post #7891935

Thank you...going to have to plan a small road trip. [=
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #7893904

Yay roadtrips!
SUNNYAZ
Pueblo West, CO

June 20, 2010
12:01 PM

Post #7905346

Went yesterday to Summerlands and got a Bloody Dock and a Variegated Water Clover. Very friendly at this little nursery. Enjoyed my visit! {=
Thanks again art n garden.
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #7905509

Oh good! Glad you got to go! It's her new place, she just moved there this season. The owner is very helpful - the only staff I ever see there and she's pretty knowledgable too.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2010
8:56 AM

Post #7910178

I have a parrots feather and it doesn't seem to have much growth on it. It did at first, but now it doesn't. It seems to have sank into the water, I thought they were supposed to float. I didn't pot it, just tossed it in on top of the water. Is it dying?
I tried to get a pic, but it wouldn't show up.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #7910184

well here is the pic I took.

Thumbnail by FrillyLily

DavEdsel
Amherst, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 22, 2010
3:13 PM

Post #7911079

Hello, everyone. New member here.

We have Parrot's Feather in our pond too. Very sparse, but it is actually an annual in our area and has wintered over for a few years. Maybe because I float a pond heater in the water each fall.

We have a corkscrew rush and some reeds. I also have what I think is called an 'acoris'. It has long strappy leaves like an Iris but they are variegated dark green and yellow.

We also have some beautiful dark purple Japanese Iris. I discovered that any Iris can be acclimated to live in water or back again in soil. Probably because they like their corms near the surface - not planted deeply.

Oh, and 3 water lillies of course. A peach one, a pink one and a dwarf pink one.

We stopped putting in water hyacinths a few years ago. They are just too prolific and cover the entire surface of our ponds by July.

Have a blessed day! :)
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 23, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7912824

I think this is a LA Iris.

Thumbnail by BeaHive

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 23, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7912825

The bloom close up.

Thumbnail by BeaHive

GardeningNC
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 23, 2010
8:42 AM

Post #7913300

I have a short variegated bamboo type of grass - that is perennial here, if I can find more info on it Ill pass it along but I dont know if I have ever had a tag for it.
My favorite perennial in my water garden has to be the Thalia - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1005/ but it seems it is only perennial to zone 6 or so... but you never know. The leaves are pale blue green and the flower stalks are sooo tall.
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #7914369

Hey Davedsel! Welcome!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America