Thumbnail by JanieP
Click the image for an enlarged view.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #7809021

Pretty flowers, Kathy Ann, Bonnie, Janie and Sandra! Everyone's gardens are really starting to put on a show. I took a walk around my garden this evening and got some close-ups.

This is the pink hollyhock.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
7:30 PM

Post #7809031

go ahead and post your photos, Janie. I didn't mean to step on your toes. :o))
JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 19, 2010
7:31 PM

Post #7809035

Variegated Ginger-I hope. Got this at the fall reunion from either Cindy, Terry or Kathy. Does it look Ok? Is it suppose to have that much yellow?

Thumbnail by JanieP

JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 19, 2010
7:32 PM

Post #7809041

I have flat wide toes, didnt even notice (lol)
JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 19, 2010
7:39 PM

Post #7809060

Lady in Red Lacetop. The next picture is Painters Palette Lacetop. The pictures were taken about the same distance from the plants.-so much different in size! The Painters Palette was planted last spring.

Thumbnail by JanieP

JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 19, 2010
7:40 PM

Post #7809068

Painters Palette Hydrangea

Thumbnail by JanieP

JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 19, 2010
7:42 PM

Post #7809078

What happens when you are a new gardner, and dont really believe that they realllllly have to planted 3-4 feet apart. Oakleaf, Endless Summer and an unknown.

Thumbnail by JanieP

JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 19, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #7809084

Pink Poppet Wygelia

Thumbnail by JanieP

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
7:44 PM

Post #7809086

Gorgeous pictures Janie! I am sooo impressed with your blooms - love those hydrangeas! Did you miss me today?
JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 19, 2010
7:47 PM

Post #7809103

Well Karen- probably more than you missed me while you were playing in the dirt.

Hey Marilyn, do you know where the Strawberry Festival is being held sat in Cabot? The Lonoke County MGs are selling there.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
7:52 PM

Post #7809118

I didn't think about you really - all I did was sweat and shovel - well and shop but hey - grow it and they will come right? Not that I don't like you but it was nice to think of something beside the corporate bs for once:) See ya tomorrow! I come bearing gifts:)
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 19, 2010
7:58 PM

Post #7809140

Wow - I don't think my tomato soup is a tomato soup at all ... It has a much taller middle. I had not remembered ordering one last year that looked like that but i ordered so many that I wasn't sure. Only a few have survived. I have a Mac and Cheese that appears to be doing well and growing but hasn't sent up a bloom stalk yet... and another one but I can't remember which one - maybe fragrant angel??? i will have to look. I do know that this one was labeled Tomato soup - but it must be labeled wrong. I will have to try to take a photo tomorrow and let you see what I mean.

Love all the blooms... my Witches Wink has multiple blooms on it today - just no time to take pictures because I am still trying to get all my plants in the ground from this past weekend. I didn't have much time to work before dark this afternoon because I was late getting back from El Dorado after my MRI. I have just a few more things to go and I will be finished! :)

My penstemon X mexicalli red rocks is loaded and really pretty currently... and my pink crinum is beginning to bloom as well, and lots of daylilies about ready to bloom!

Genna
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
8:01 PM

Post #7809154

I have no idea unless it would be at the community center across the street from the high school, which is just down the road from me. I thought we already had our strawberry festival, LOL.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
8:07 PM

Post #7809173

Sorry, Genna, we crossed. I don't know that mine is tomato soup, either. I was just guessing because of the color. I will try to find my list of plants I ordered from that co-op last year. I know I have it somewhere.

In the meantime, here is my white hollyhock with a bumblebee in it. He/she is loaded with pollen!

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
8:10 PM

Post #7809184

Janie, I meant to say that I thought the Lady in Red hydrangea was actually one of those new red hydrangeas. I guess it isn't, huh? LOL The blue is really pretty though.

This is a coconut lime echie getting ready to open up.. I bought it two years ago at Rita's nursery in Jackson, TN. It did really well the first season but didn't do much last year. Hopefully it will do better this year. It's off to a good start.

Thumbnail by marsue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010
8:12 PM

Post #7809189

Cindy gave me the best idea when we were at her house. When we went to Paul Michael I found a great small pot with a lid that I want to use as a plant stand. I couldn't figure out a pot to go on it and Cindy said why don't you get one of the red clay pots and paint it. Well that's what I did this afternoon. I mixed a couple of colors together to try to get it as close as I could to the stand. I wanted to seal it after it drys good and I found a spray paint that is a heavy clear glaze meant to go on pottery, etc. I plan to spray it with it tomorrow. I have a bunch of just old plastic pots that look like clay pots and I got the idea to paint some of them also. I did 2 tonight that are square and have a fluted design on the sides. They look pretty good to me! I just used acrylic paint. I plan to spray them with the glaze also. Will post a picture when I get through. If these 2 plastic pots turn out good, I have a bunch more I'm going to paint. I need a lot of decent looking pots to put my brugs in and I want something lightweight. Also I have too many to buy a lot of expensive pots!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
8:14 PM

Post #7809198

This is the red gaillardia which Sandra gave me.

Thumbnail by marsue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2010

Post #7809199

Janie I'm really impressed with your delphinium!!!! I have tried and tried to get that to grow in my yard and it just want do it. It just shrivels up and dies!!!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
8:19 PM

Post #7809216

Charlotte, I'm eager to see what your pots look like after you get them finished! I really like that delphinium of Janie's, too. It is a beautiful blue!

here's a close-up of Tiki Torch. I bought this one somewhere last year but not through the co-op. I think I might have gotten it on sale at Lowe's. It didn't do much last year but is going strong now with 5 or 6 blooms on it and it isn't a very big plant. I have decided that those hybrid echies take a couple years to get going good.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
8:21 PM

Post #7809222

Lamb's Ear

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
8:23 PM

Post #7809229

Whirling Butterflies guara

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
8:26 PM

Post #7809240

Oranges and Lemons Gaillardia this is one I bought at Rita's two years ago. I thought it had died so Kathy Ann gave me another one. Now I have two of them! :o)) the other one is not blooming yet. It is a smaller plant.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
8:30 PM

Post #7809252

Yellow torch lilies. These are on a plant that also has the orange blooms on it. My other 4 torch lilies all have the orange blooms--no yellow.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
8:32 PM

Post #7809260

fading blooms on Peach Belle. She really took a beating during the hard rain on Sunday but she did her best to keep blooming.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
8:34 PM

Post #7809269

and let's not forget the echie that started it all with those hybrids--the purple coneflower

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2010
8:36 PM

Post #7809275

and this is one of my hydrangeas--I don't know the name of it

and now I'm going to bed--good night all!

Thumbnail by marsue

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2010
8:55 PM

Post #7809349

I can't believe how far behind you all I am this year. My hydrangea's are just beginning to bloom. Non of my echies are blooming yet. I do have a lot of daylilies blooming though.
Sandra do you recognize this Lizianthus that you babied for many months.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2010
9:03 PM

Post #7809382

Bonnie your yard is to die for. so beautiful. Does your maltese cross come back. I have never had it do much in my summer much less make it till the next year.

Janie for a new gardener your plants are really beautiful.
Marilyn your hollyhocks are so pretty and no rust. Mine always got rust.

This is the new flower bed ,it has a long way to go. It also has a lot of things in it that I will take out when my next bed gets rebuilt. I just needed to get these plants in the ground somewhere for now.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2010
9:05 PM

Post #7809397

One of my crepe myrtles is way ahead of the rest of them. Crazy year

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 19, 2010
9:06 PM

Post #7809400

Oleanders after the storm.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2010
2:22 AM

Post #7809675

My lilies are laying on the ground after the afternoon storm.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2010
2:26 AM

Post #7809676

My Cajun Hibiscus Evangeline

Thumbnail by Riverland

JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 20, 2010
3:57 AM

Post #7809714

Marilyn, I realized just as I was falling asleep that strawberry time was over. I printed the Master Gardeners sales list from the U of A site in early March. Seems like they have had some revisions. It was April 24th! I checked the site a few minutes ago.
JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 20, 2010
4:20 AM

Post #7809747

Looking at all the gorgeous plants fuels the urge to get MORE. I didnt know that Lambs Ear had blooms. Tried Gaura the first year, didnt work-but may have to try it again. Oleander is very pretty. Are they zone 8?
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2010
5:17 AM

Post #7809846

Janie - you have some beautiful blooms ! So glad you are sharing them.

KA - I don't have alot of luck with Jap Iris' at all, so if I have one to live is a shocker for me, but to actually have one to bloom is quite an accomplishment for me. I only have them, in hopes to be able to share them someday.;-)

Cindy - you are so sweet...love, love your new bed ! I disagree - I think it is perfect the way it is. Are cajun hibiscus hardy for your in your zone?

Marilyn - I contemplated getting that coconut lime the other day. Now I wish I had of. That is so cute.

Thank you all for your kind words about my blooms. That means alot to me.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
5:43 AM

Post #7809891

Bonnie Where did you get your grape lollypop phlox, That's on my want list along with cotton candy and some salmon one, their all brand new. LOVE THEM

My jap irises are about to bloom any day now

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 20, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #7809962

So glad I got the new thread started, everything is so pretty---
Cindy I do remember that plant, I am so glad you are taking care of it now-LOL
The storms are going to be here soon, I had a big daylily smiling at me out the kitchen window this morning, it is labeled Web of Intrigue, but not that--I have 2 of them side by side labeled that, so I probably got them mixed up.
Cindy do you recognize this one?

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 20, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #7809965

This is blurry, but was trying to hurry before the storm hits
Cindy brought me this morning glory

Thumbnail by slcdms

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 20, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7809975

That MG is gorgeous! Love that white edging.

Terrye
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7809976

Love the morning glory Sandra. The ones I planted last year that Terrye gave me reseeded themselves, but they aren't very big yet.

KA - I got both of the new phlox's from Dan West I believe. That is 1 place we should have gone to when ya'll were over here. Want me to pick you some up ?

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 20, 2010
6:18 AM

Post #7809983

It is a named variety, but I can't spell it without going out to look--LOL
Cindy raised it from seed and that is why it is blooming this early, mine that reseeded have not had a bloom yet.

Terrye, are you at work?

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #7810024

Sandra I love that morning glory! Also pretty lily! I have one lily that is almost open. It rained hard last night and is still lightly raining.
I bought some MG seed last fall and did some winter sowing with them. I actually managed to get some started. I was amazed as I am just not any good with seed. It is still small but has had a couple of blooms. I also got some seed from another MG when she had us over to look at her garden last summer. I winter sowed them and actually got them to grow also. They are now blooming and I need to find out what they are. I didn't write it down or either she didn't know for sure what the plant was. Will take some photos when the rain stops.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2010
6:30 AM

Post #7810032

Forgot to answer the questions about the Maltese Cross. Yes, it is hardy for me. I had bought it a couple of years ago on the sale table without a tag and never knew what it was. This past weekend, while shopping at a nursery in Birmingham, they had it forsale there, so I was able to identify it. It has done very well where I have it, and is faithful to bloom every year. Cute little flowers. Not sure on how much is multiplies yet because where I have it, is pretty crowded.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/107123/
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #7810043

Does yours get tall Bonnie? Mine is up to my shoulders, so that's about 3 foot LOL maybe a little taller

this is my first year getting blooms off mine, i've killed it once so I started over with it.

Love that japanese morning glory Sandra...
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #7810052

no the hibiscus is not hardy for me. Not sure about the Oleanders I am 8A but it is in a protected area. They usually burn if a prolonged frost gets to them but will resprout from the stems. They are an evergreen.

Brain will not compute daylilies . I have so many lost names and can't figure them out. I am going out to see if I can get some pic before going to the doc.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2010
6:41 AM

Post #7810057

See the link to the Maltese Cross ? Mine is small like in those pictures. Wonder what cultivar you have KA.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 20, 2010
6:56 AM

Post #7810088

There are lots of oleander in our area - 7b - although not as much as I saw in the neighborhoods around Jeri's ... but it is supposed to be hardy for us.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #7810126

I saw that link, saw it was small.

Mine has multiplied, since i got it. into 4 or 5 plants, was one little thing when I bought it. I like it being tall though cause it may stick out far enough to get some sun LOL

Not sure what variety I have, here's where I got mine at

http://shop.ebay.com/dogwooderitternet/m.html?_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A2980&_ipg=&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=1

but I don't see it listed, you can email him he's probably got some.
he's easy on the pocketbook. with plants and shipping.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 20, 2010
7:39 AM

Post #7810226

I am at work at work, Sandra.

My varigated jap. MG came back from seed this year too, but it is small. I was afraid it might not with the cold winter we had.
I have one of those large black calf feed pots full of wave petunia seedlings from one I had in it last year. I've never had them reseed before.

terrye
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #7810259

Cindy, you said that your flower beds were behind all of ours but remember, yours were under water for a while so that is probably the reason they are later in coming back. I am amazed that anything survived being under water that long! I do have one smaller hollyhock that is covered in rust. If it didn't have a bunch of buds on it, I would go ahead and pull it up. I don't know why the others don't have the rust--they are all in the same area.

It's raining here today--started raining sometime during the night. I won't be working in the yard unless the rain stops but that's okay. I need to run some errands and get some things done in the house. It's hard to get motivated with house work and laundry when my garden is calling my name but the weather is a good incentive to stay inside! LOL

I have two oleanders, Genna. They die back every year but come back from the roots. I would have them everywhere if I didn't mow over the shoots that pop up away from the main plant. Mine aren't nearly as big as Cindy's, though.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 20, 2010
7:28 PM

Post #7812250

I've finally given up looking for my Tomato Soup echinacea to come up this year. I guess the winter got it. I was reading all your posts above about your echie's and then I just finished reading an article in 'Fine Gardening' that came today. I had no idea they can be short-lived! To quote from the article:

"The sad fact is that most coneflowers do not live for a long time. ... You can improve a coneflower's chances for a long life by ensuring proper drainage and providing some winiter protection. But if your zone experiences a long, cold, wet winter you can probably kiss your coneflowers good-bye and say hello to a few new ones."

Tomato Soup was shown as one of the longer-lived varieties (meaning 3 years). Who knew?

Haven't had time to post any new pictures but love seeing yours.
Elaine
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2010
7:43 PM

Post #7812284

Gee, if I had known that about them having a short life span, I wouldn't have bought any of those hybrid echies. The good old purple coneflowers, on the other hand, just keep coming back year after year. It looks like we all need to stick with those. I have plenty of them if anybody wants one that is going to Kathy Ann's RU in June. They keep multiplying.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #7812310

Finally got time to post a few. Here is the pot I bought at paul michael. The short green one with a watering can on top. The green one behind it was a clay pot I bought there and painted. I used the glaze and I was pleased with the way it turned out.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #7812313

The head container I bought at paul michael's with sedum I bought at forrest hill. The penta's are not in the head container - just looks that way.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
7:57 PM

Post #7812316

Fern by the koi pond.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
7:59 PM

Post #7812321

I was bad yesterday!! LOL I stopped by Tuesday Morning and I found this frogs. I still had cash left over from Jeri's RU so just had to have them.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7812325

Blue frost hydrangea

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
8:01 PM

Post #7812327

pee gee hydrangea

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
8:03 PM

Post #7812330

cherry bells campanula

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
8:05 PM

Post #7812335

Oriental lily - dark blue salvia in front (don't know the name of the salvia - I got it from another MG and she didn't have a name other than blue salvia

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
8:08 PM

Post #7812343

Red astilble (mis spelled). This does really well in my garden and I just love it. I bought 3 different bareroot ones I have in pots and are doing well - need to get in the ground tomorrow.

Thumbnail by cperdue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 20, 2010
8:08 PM

Post #7812345

Your pots are looking good, Charlotte. The sedum really looks good in the head container. It makes him look like he has curly 'hair'. LOL the pot that you glazed really looks good and the one with the watering can on top, does, too. You gave me one of those cherry bells but mine isn't blooming yet. Now I know what to expect from it. :o))

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #7812351

pink astilbe

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #7812358

I've had this for a long time and have long since lost the tag. Does any one know what this is?

Thumbnail by cperdue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
8:13 PM

Post #7812361

Oh my gosh, I love those pots, those frogs are darling! I would have been bad too LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010

Post #7812365

maybe a stokesia Charlotte. not sure which one though

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
8:16 PM

Post #7812369

This hosta is totally out of control. There is some variegated monkey grass having a hard time making it through the hosta leaves. There is also a variegated hosta on the left that is totally covered up with the green one.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010

Post #7812375

Some of my brugmansia's. Notice I said SOME. The big ones are scattered around the beds and it doesn't show all the small ones.

Thumbnail by cperdue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010

Post #7812376

wow! That looks like my honeybells hosta, is that the name of that one? course mine aren't that big LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
8:20 PM

Post #7812379

Those brugmansias look like alot of work LOL mine aren't quite as happy as yours are.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 20, 2010
8:20 PM

Post #7812381

I thought it looked kind of like a cornflower of some kind--bachelor button

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
8:25 PM

Post #7812393

This is the snowbush I bought at doug youngs. Same one marilyn bought.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #7812394

This snowbush Jeri got for me at her MG plant sale. I'm not sure if they are the same variety or 2 different varieties.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
8:28 PM

Post #7812398

Sandra I think it is more in the stokesia family.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
8:44 PM

Post #7812448

Kathy Ann I don't know the name of the hosta. I've had it forever! All I know is it gets huge! I've given tons of it away. I bought a bunch of it to Kim's in Oct.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #7812454

Ok, i'm jealous of those snowbushes. I was reading on the net about them a nd that there was one variety that wasn't quite as vareigated as the other one.

I got to get me one of them LOL

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2010
9:24 PM

Post #7812534

Forgot to post this one. This is for Cindy. She spotted this at paul michael. Wanted to show her what I did with it. I have a couple of clematis planted to grow on it. I also planted a couple of moonvine to help fill it out this summer.

Thumbnail by cperdue

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
5:12 AM

Post #7812864

My first daylily from the October swap bloomed today! Here is Two Part Harmony

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
5:14 AM

Post #7812867

Here's my Black Gamecock LA Iris blooming

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
5:17 AM

Post #7812875

And my Hydrangeas are just beginning to show color

Thumbnail by kjuddy

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
5:19 AM

Post #7812881

And my favorite picture of the day not so much for the blooms just the overall look of it - foreground is frobelli spirea and the purple in the background is the president clematis

Thumbnail by kjuddy

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2010
5:55 AM

Post #7812984

Wow Charlotte. Very nice. Really like the frogs ! Guess I need to make a trip to my Tuesday morning here.
Your Angel Trumpet border is really nice too, even without the blooms ! Love, Love astilbe !!!

I had a snowbush a few years ago. I bought it at the end of the season, and it didn't make it thru the winter, so no more for me. I do really like them though, but they do get rather large.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2010
5:58 AM

Post #7812990

Karen -you have almost made me buy a presidents clematis. The problem is, I have a new one now in a pot with no home, so I really don't need another. Do you have alot of daylilies ramping up ?
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 21, 2010
6:10 AM

Post #7813026

Ok, I got out this morning and took a pic of the coneflower that I have that is labeled Tomato Soup - but I am pretty sure it is is NOT tomato soup because of the shape of the bloom. Here it is... the color has faded because it has been bloomed out since Sunday or Monday... but you can at least see what I mean about the shape.

Thumbnail by gen2026

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 21, 2010
6:11 AM

Post #7813029

Charlotte I absolutely LOVE the frogs...

and I hate to hear that about the echies... cause I kinda looked at them as a long term "investment" in my gardens for lots of summer blooms... That is NOT good news!

Genna
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 21, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #7813054

This is what I call my vertically challenged Lily... The stem is only 4 inches tall!! The bloom is almost larger than the stem. Not sure what happened to it. :-)

Please overlook the weeds...

Thumbnail by gen2026

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #7813071

Genna, that cone flower looks like coral reef.

Lovely pictures karen.

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 21, 2010
6:45 AM

Post #7813125

I was thinking that might be it... wasn't sure. It was more red when it opened, but has faded but I knew after looking at the other pics of tomato soup that it wasn't shaped right.

Thanks!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2010
6:54 AM

Post #7813151

I agree with KA. That echie does look like Coral Reef. Here's a link:
http://www.waysidegardens.com/gardening/PD/48199/

Charlotte, your Tuesday Morning seems to have more interesting garden "stuff" than the one here in Cabot. I go back to the one up here every week and they still don't have the lady like we gave Cindy and Jeri. They don't have those frogs, either. Of course, this one up here is probably smaller than the one down there in Little Rock.

I need some suggestions for a flowering vine that will grow in a mostly shady spot. I want to plant something to grow up the side of my garden shed. I have researched the climbing hydrangea vines but those things can get up to 50 feet tall and I certainly don't need anything that big! LOL I thought about planting clematis there but everything I read says clematis need sun except for their roots need to be shaded with a ground cover or something.
This is where I want to put it. The lady mannequin looks dwarfed beside the shed so I am going to put it somewhere else. The side of the shed looks so bare that I need to plant something that will grow up the side of the shed or either put a trellis in front of it.

Thumbnail by marsue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
6:59 AM

Post #7813165

My first daylily!!! This is so exciting! This one is Siloam Double Classic.

Thumbnail by cperdue

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #7813177

Marilyn - Armandi Snowdrift clematis is an evergreen and likes the shade. Totally different though than what a normal clematis bloom is like -but VERY fragrant. Just a thought.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #7813183

Nice one Charlotte !
Is this one in your new bed out front ?

This message was edited May 21, 2010 8:02 AM

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 21, 2010
7:03 AM

Post #7813188

Congratulations Charlotte--beautiful bloom !!! You are hooked now for sure, they are so much prettier in person than the pictures !!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2010
7:04 AM

Post #7813197

Charlotte, I meant to say that the obelisk trellis you bought looks just perfect there in front of your windows. It will really be beautiful once the vines start growing up it and blooming.

Karen, your flowers are looking pretty. Pretty color on that daylily.

Genna, I like that bright yellow color of your vertically challenged lily! LOL

I need to do a lot more work in the gardens but it is going to be in the high 80's and even hotter the next few days. Look like summer has arrived. I'm not looking forward to the higher temps! My gardening will have to be done in the early mornings and in the evenings. I just can't get out in those 90 plus temps!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #7813205

thanks, Bonnie. I will look up that clematis you mentioned.

Charlotte: beautiful bloom on that Siloam Double Classic. I have some buds on a few of my daylilies. I need to get outside and check them out to see if they have opened.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:11 AM

Post #7813221

I went out this morning and took a few pics it's cold out there, I wish the sun would come out, i've been homebound for 3 days now LOL

I'm really dissapointed in those poppies, their suppose to be doubles and their opening up to lavender singles, I like them but that ebayer lied to me, and I'm upset about it.

not sure what to do, guess nothing but enjoy the poppies.

here's another one that opened today

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:13 AM

Post #7813230

Karen really pretty pictures!

Marilyn I got the ladies in Conway. I've not seen them in the Little Rock store. I think they just recently got the frogs in Little Rock. I don't remember seeing them the last time I was in the Little Rock store. Each one is different and they just had the 3.
I think the hydrandrea vine would be great for the lattice in front of your workshop. It will take it a long time to reach 40 ft. I don't think they grow real fast. I bought a small plug at the flower and garden show this year and it is too small to put in the grown. I was given or bought another vine that I believe is some type hydrandrea vine. I am at a totally loss as to exactly where I got it and exactly what it is. No tag which is not like what I've been doing this year. I have it in total shade and it is growing great.

Sorry to hear that about the echie's too. I bought sundown at Cleggs. I have several other white swan and a pink one that I would have to go out and look at the tag. I'm keeping those in my front beds and the regular purple coneflower in the back. I got some regular purple coneflower from another MG and those things grew like crazy last year. They were way taller than I had expected so I had to move them last fall.

This is the sundown I bought.

Thumbnail by cperdue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:15 AM

Post #7813235

here's the other poppy I put it here so i can see if their a little different in looks

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #7813239

i'm thinking they are the same LOL

The japanese iris are just starting to bloom

this is fortune

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:17 AM

Post #7813242

This is suppose to be geisha girl, i've found alot of photos on the net picturing this as different but I also found the same as mine too. who knows.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:17 AM

Post #7813244

Mock orange innocense, not so variegated like it's suppose to be

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #7813246

Kathy Ann I don't know what they were supposed to look like but that is gorgeous!!

Marilyn another thought - confederate jasmine is evergreen and has a wonderful smell. Mine is back in my shade area and is growing fine. It is in bloom now and you can smell the fragrance all the way to my front yard. My neigbors smell it when they are on their deck. They love the smell.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:18 AM

Post #7813247

Penstemon cobea Like the big flowers but it falls over easy

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #7813252

milkweed, but not the ones I got from Marilyn, mine aren't budding up yet

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #7813254

Thanks Charlotte

Hot lava echinacea

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:20 AM

Post #7813256

My coral reef is starting to mound up. waiting for it to look like this before I post a pic

This is Hot papaya Love this one!!

I may have posted this before

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010

Post #7813257

Stachy's hummello

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 21, 2010

Post #7813258

I bought sundown at Cleggs too... was hoping to have several of them eventually and enjoy the blooms all summer for a long time! Hate to think about having them only last 3 yrs since it appears it will take that long before they really start to get established!

The DL is pretty Charlotte. I counted over 30 buds on my purseus sandles this morning and one is starting to open! I am excited - last year it only had 3 or 4 blooms! but each was about 6" across!

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:21 AM

Post #7813260

Yarrow cloth of gold, we had to tie this up after the last storm, took 3 of us to get our arms around it, I need to stake it, it's as tall as me now

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:22 AM

Post #7813265

A red unknown lily I thought this was the white one I planted in the back garden, but it's opening red, not sure where the white one is.

I could have sworn this was white though

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:23 AM

Post #7813270

One of my favorite echies is my Kim's Knee High. It was in the front and I moved it around when I extended the bed. So I have to find it. It doesn't get real tall like the ones I have in the back and it usually blooms all summer long.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:23 AM

Post #7813271

forever Peppermint hydrangea I think that's the name of this one, Bonnie gave it to me, isn't it lovely?

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:24 AM

Post #7813272

Jupiter's beard, keys to heaven,

Kim's knee high is up to my waist LOL not sure why they call it kim's knee high

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010

Post #7813273

unknown asiatic lily

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010

Post #7813274

Lolly pop asiatic lily

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7813275

Rose swan milkweed about to open

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7813276

Kathy Ann the yarrow you gave me is blooming. Looks really pretty! That is a huge one you have - pretty! I'm getting ready to head outside now. Lots to do!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #7813280

I'm going to head outside too as soon as I load these pics, even if it is still nasty looking out there.

Lady in red hydrangea

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 21, 2010

Post #7813281

KA - I cross posted with all your pics - but they are lovely... Are all the penstemon's evergreen??

I had some lilies in my front bed that i would have sworn were Easter Lilies that Kyle got after the evening church service for me last year ... our sanctuary was filled with Lilies and they told anyone who wanted one to get it so he got one for me... Well, it came up and then when it bloomed it was a burgandy or purply red looking lily. I am like you I could have SWORN that is where I put the white ones!

Not familiar with that Stachy's humelo but it is interesting looking...

Genna
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010

Post #7813282

The fairy rose, not sure if that's really the fairy, I bought this one, I got another one sharron gave me.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:28 AM

Post #7813286

No on th epenstemon, they die back in the winter . I got another one called prairie splendor that falls over too has those huge blooms, I'll see if I can find that pic too

Indian pinks are blooming

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:28 AM

Post #7813288

Yes, You know what this means? Don't cha? LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:29 AM

Post #7813292

Yarrow Apple blossom, we had to tie this one up too. it's a really tall yarrow

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:30 AM

Post #7813295

Spanish peaks Penstemon

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:34 AM

Post #7813306

I really loved how this one performed this year, it got massive, looks good with that six hills nepeta mixed in I see it taking over though and it's full of seed pods, first year for flowers so maybe I'll have young ones next year, My golden banner thermopsis is full of seeds too this golden bean thermopsis looks like the lupine and the golden banner thermopsis looks like the baptisia

both are in the baptisia family

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:34 AM

Post #7813310

Prairie splendor penstemon

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #7813314

Scarlet penstemon

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #7813317

Variegated phlox triple play

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:37 AM

Post #7813319

Variegated sea holly

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2010
8:00 AM

Post #7813384

KA - you have so many blooms - you could have your own thread ! lol. I have tried the sea holly, but again, I must not have enough sun - but I love it.
I think it was probably Terrye that gave you the forever pink hydrangea, because she gave me one of those at Kim's swap. Mine is blooming right now too.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
8:17 AM

Post #7813409

LOL, You can see all the blooms on facebook, I have complete photo albums there, it's one way I have of keeping up with all the pics, I know you have dial up and can't view them, it use to take me forever just to blow up a photo anywhere. to see the big picture. I hated it.

You gave me the forever hydrangea called peppermint when Kim and I was at your house recently, remember, you gave her one too LOL I tried to pay you for it, you wouldn't hear of it. well, that's the bloom on it. pretty ha?
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #7813430

That is soooo funny. See how quickly my mind forgets things. I just had to laugh at myself outloud. Wonder if Kim's is blooming.

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #7813550

Well, don't feel like the lone ranger.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 21, 2010
9:02 AM

Post #7813564

Join the posse---we are all lacking a few brain cells I think !
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:05 AM

Post #7813571

But as my hubby says, You sure know all those plants names and where their planted at LOL I say, that's all i have room for up there.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #7813610

I just don't know what mine is clogged with. Surprised I can find my way in to work every day - and I have NEVER been able to remember plant names.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:29 AM

Post #7813690

I took some more pics

this is my falopia japonica taking up the whole bed almost.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:30 AM

Post #7813694

one of my small patches of variegated obedient plant, See that plant beside it? that is the jewelweed I got at pineridge nursery.

it's growing well. Ih ave it in the sun bed and shade bed. both are doin g good

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:31 AM

Post #7813697

Some shade plants

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:32 AM

Post #7813701

I had to pull up about 6 or 7 of those rice paper plants , go tthem potted .

Petitsites Purple form I got this one and the hibridus last year from Brian's botanicals, YOU SHOULD SEE THE HYBRIDus, sorry I was screaming there, LOL it's HUGE

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:33 AM

Post #7813709

I expect to be pulling some of this next year, only have 2 plants this year, so it multiplied one times , i'm sure it will take off next year, but not sure I"ll have room for it too.
this would make a SUper nice concrete leaf.

Petitsites Hibridus

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:33 AM

Post #7813710

Sum and substance hosta is getting quite huge also

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #7813713

This is the petitsites variegata

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #7813718

I just love the big leaves, their so tropical looking

this is othelo ligularia, which is doing fantastic also

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:37 AM

Post #7813729

I got this in batesville, it's a green leaved castor bean The one they had in the ground was as tall as the nursery building and was not staked, but it was protected from winds. I do have a tall stake by this one just in case.

I think the leaves are awesome looking hope to get little ticks off this LOL (seeds)

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:37 AM

Post #7813742

Summer charm tradscantia

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:39 AM

Post #7813747

A volunteer i'm not sure i'm happy about but I left it as long as I can control it next year I guess I'll leave it.

Great mullein

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:39 AM

Post #7813749

Flamenco mix torch lily

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #7813752

Raspberry summer agastache

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #7813754

SAPHIRE BLUE SALVIA

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #7813755

salvia koyamae

I can't get over how huge this one is this year no blooms yet though

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #7813759

Hagleys hybrid clematis

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:46 AM

Post #7813779

here are a few of my potted arrangements.

I know ya'll are tired of this one LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #7813782

another

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:48 AM

Post #7813783

All succulents, i suppose they'll get too big for this pot soon enough

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
9:54 AM

Post #7813813

Hum, pictures aren't posting for some reason. not sure why Ithink it's cause I'm using the same photo album to post pics on fb righ tnow and the computer won't let me post them in both places at the same time. so I"LL BE back. later
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #7813854

I should be numbering these I guess

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
10:12 AM

Post #7813857

last one,
alot of begonias in this pot LOL

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2010
11:21 AM

Post #7814024

Love your begonia pot. Funny, I thought you weren't gonna do begonias anymore...'bout like me not doing ears anymore, huh ? My absolute favorites are the petitsites though. I love large leaf'd plants too. Always have.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
11:25 AM

Post #7814032

Kathy Ann I think you have one of everything. If you don't you're working on it!!LOL Pretty flowers.. Nice job with your arrangements.
I think your sapphire blue salvia is what I have. Mine is real tall and looks the same as yours. It has really taken off this year too.

Lunch break is over - back outside!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
11:26 AM

Post #7814039

Meant to say those petitisides would make fabulous hypertufa leaves! We've got to do that before the summer is over.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 21, 2010
11:55 AM

Post #7814117

The reason I asked about the Penstemon... I have the Penstemon X mexicalli red rocks that I grew from seed last year...It is beautiful and covered with blooms, but it stayed green all winter. It shocked me as i was not expecting it to be evergreen ?? It was the only thing of color in the bed !
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #7814239

That is kind of odd,
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
12:37 PM

Post #7814250

I just googled that red rocks

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.pendernursery.com/Images/Penstemon-Red-Rocks.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pendernursery.com/Catalog/Detail/penstemonxmexicaliredrocks.html&usg=__HSPhrQ4RQqxti_1hiUozvS7y0EA=&h=450&w=338&sz=45&hl=en&start=2&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=pBdBFhFNen-PMM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=95&prev=/images?q=penstemon+mexicali+red+rocks&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS370&tbs=isch:1

looks alot like my spanish peaks penstemon but mine is more pinkish, I love those penstemons,

have you seen the new ones TnN has out, the blueberry and grape and raspberry taffy penstemons?

their georgeous.

http://www.terranovanurseries.com/r/pages/plants/penstemon-blueberry-taffy.php

http://www.terranovanurseries.com/r/pages/plants/penstemon-grape-taffy.php

http://www.terranovanurseries.com/r/pages/plants/penstemon-strawberry-taffy.php

I'm definitely watching for a TNN coop to open for those Love them
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
1:49 PM

Post #7814399

I love coming here and lurking, it's so beautiful and relaxing. When it's time for a new thread I'll post my buds and blooms, previous and current.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2010
2:00 PM

Post #7814423

Your flowers are beautiful as usual, Kathy Ann. I want one of everything you have! ROFLOL
Speaking of penstemons, both of the penstemons you gave me recently are blooming. I thought they were red but the blooms are white. Here's a pic:

edited to add: the penstemons had dirt splashed all over them from the rain

This message was edited May 21, 2010 3:03 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #7814485

Came in to look something up. Marilyn I just divided the african lily. You would not believe the roots. There wasn't any dirt in the pot. Nothing but roots. I had to use my big serious knife to cut it into. Now that they actually have some dirt, should take off growing again!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
2:18 PM

Post #7814486

no, the blooms are suppose to be white, but one of them is suppose to be pinkish, most of my huskers red and ruby tuesday are mixed up now and i can't tell the diference in them, one is suppose to have white blooms and the other 's gets pinkish colored after opening has to turn that color though.

All mine are pinkish colored, bu tthey did open white.

those two and dark towers penstemon all look the same to me, if their going to make new plants they should make them where we can tell the difference between them LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2010
3:16 PM

Post #7814620

Both of the penstemons are blooming and they both look the same. I remember now that the tag said "huskers red". I just assumed the flowers would be red. LOL

Charlotte, a couple of the plants I got were all root, too. They must have been in those pots a while!

Kathy Ann, that white hollyhock is now about 6 feet tall at its tallest stalk! I was out there today and sort of measured it by my height, which is 5',3". I figured the stalk was at least almost another 9-10 inches taller than I am. It is starting to lean over a little!

I was out on the back porch this afternoon sitting in the porch swing with Friday. I got this photo of a hummer at the torch lilies.

Thumbnail by marsue

gardener2005
Baton Rouge area, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2010
3:24 PM

Post #7814626

Wow, beautiful hummer you captured there! This probably isn`t anything to get exited about but I found some chickory in a field by the lake. This grows everywhere. Karen

Thumbnail by gardener2005

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2010
3:26 PM

Post #7814632

It has a pretty flower, Karen. Is that what they use to flavor that really strong LA coffee? LOL
gardener2005
Baton Rouge area, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2010
3:33 PM

Post #7814649

This one was labeled Blanket Flower from the seed box. Karen

Thumbnail by gardener2005

gardener2005
Baton Rouge area, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2010
3:36 PM

Post #7814656

Yep, the chickory roots are baked and ground to use in coffee. http://www.bing.com/reference/semhtml?title=Chicory&src=abop&fwd=1&qpvt=chickory root&q=chicory root I think it is pretty neat just happening across some in a field close to our house. Actually, I`m having fun walking with my family in a area that has been cleared and disturbed by large machinery so you never know what wildflower might pop up.

Karen
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2010
3:40 PM

Post #7814660

Kathy-Ann, you surely have won the prize this year for your blooms!! Gorgeous, every one of them.

Another thing about the coneflowers...they re-seed apparently, which is something I didn't know. The article I read said you should just let the blooms fall to the ground. And here I was going around dead-heading all the time. The plain old purple do seem to do the best for me at least. I have a few others that are about to bloom. I think one is Fragrant Angel or White Swan and the Rubenstein is doing ok so far. I'd love to try some of the Little Kim so that may be something for next year.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
3:42 PM

Post #7814668

I guess that hollyhock just outgrew me then LOL i'll never make it to 6 foot LOL

thank you Elaine!
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2010
4:38 PM

Post #7814799

Hi, my iris are just about bloomed out but they have been so lovely this year. Below is STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN

Teresa in KY

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2010
4:44 PM

Post #7814820

My snowball bush was pretty and loved DRAMA QUEEN

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 21, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7814989

Very pretty Teresa, guess you are very busy these days !

Bonnie--look what has a bloom !!

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 21, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7814992

I had no idea it would bloom, wonder which sedum that is
Here is a close up of the bloom

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 21, 2010
5:33 PM

Post #7814994

This bloom has been opening for a couple of days now and it was worth the wait. I planted the seeds last spring and then put it in the bed last fall
Rudbeckia Hirta

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 21, 2010
5:34 PM

Post #7814997

Lilies

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 21, 2010
5:35 PM

Post #7815003

I am wondering if someone can ID this sedum
It looks lighter in the picture, the light color is a more yellow looking in person

Thumbnail by slcdms

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
5:40 PM

Post #7815015

That's mediovariegata sedum I gave that out to a bunch of people one year. you probably got it from me;0)

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 21, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #7815085

No, I did not get this one from you, it came from a lady that lives near Jerry's Mom.
Thanks for the id--I do have a couple from you I need to get you to ID--the tags either faded or got lost.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
6:19 PM

Post #7815133

i'll try, some of those green ones are hard to id till they flower.

darn, I thought I gave everybody one of those LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 21, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7815138

I have had this one for a few years, but it is just now really starting to grow. It sure seems to grow slowly for a tall sedum.
Do you have Vera Jamison ? I got it the other day.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #7815143

Yes i have that one, it's cute, mines in mostly shade though, need to move it, but it's doing ok there
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7815167

not me! I'm next! LOL (on the one KA was talking about in her previous post)

Karen: that bloom is a gaillardia. Blanket Flower is the common name for it.

Lovely blooms. Sandra and Teresa.
I really like that rudbeckia, Sandra. I bought a gold one and a red one when I was in LA.

This message was edited May 21, 2010 7:30 PM
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #7815195

Hi Teresa the Irises were extra pretty this year. I'll bet your daylilies are getting ready to bloom.
Mine are blooming but the weather is really messing with the blooms.
This is Mumbo Jumbo

Thumbnail by Riverland

gardener2005
Baton Rouge area, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2010
6:35 PM

Post #7815201

The gaillardia Blanket Flower stayed green all winter even with it colder than usual. It was about the only thing that stayed green too. It has short foliage and blooms on long stems so it makes a good cutting flower. Karen

Edited to add: I love your daylilies Cindy. I planted every one of those you gave me too. They are starting to grow too.

This message was edited May 21, 2010 7:36 PM

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
6:36 PM

Post #7815203

Sandra that is a really pretty bloom on the sedum. Pretty shade of pink lily.
I have one of the sedums Sandra was trying to id. I think I got mine from Cindy at Kim's in Oct.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #7815231

KA your blooms are outstanding.

Sandra you really have some pretty things going now. I love the Irish Eyes Rudbeckia. I have tried it from see several years in the spring only to have it die out on me in the summer.

I'm not sure of the true name of this hydrangea but I have always called it forever pink because it does not change with the soil.

Thumbnail by Riverland

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 21, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7815248

Cindy, I am thinking that seed came from you when we did the seed box go around thing.
I think it came out of your box. I planted it last spring and then kept it in the pot all summer in the shade and put it in the bed in the fall--it is loaded with buds too-it should be a real beauty soon.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #7815319

Pretty bloom, love it.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #7815324

Karen next year I will bring you more if you like, you never ask for them. I love that chicory bloom. Isn't it fun to find things growing in strange places?
Swedish girl is always a pretty bloomer.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7815340

It was probably some of my seed. I had lots of it. I just couldn't get it to the blooming stage before it would bite the dust.
Flame is my most durable cala.

Thumbnail by Riverland

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7815354

All my calla lilies are popping up, kind of odd since their right on the border of being not hardy. Weird how some things come back and other things that are hardy don't come back.

Love calla lilies. yours is beautiful Cindy

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 21, 2010
7:13 PM

Post #7815376

I hope my Swedish Girl gives me a bloom this year--she is so pretty !
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2010
7:14 PM

Post #7815380

I was hoping to find some Tropicanna to trade for but haven't yet.
I lost all my tropicals. I have had good luck on storing them under the house, but this past winter it was too cold and I lost my calla, EEs and brugs too :(

Yes, my dls are beginning to bloom. Next week some be better.

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7815425

This was a pretty one. I would have to get out my list cannot remember the name on it.

Sorry, you have to turn your heads :)

gardener2005
Baton Rouge area, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2010

Post #7815434

Cindy, I hate to ask for daylilies because they tend to die on me or disappear without a trace. I ordered 12 different kinds one year and only 3 came back over the winter...so I`m a bad plant mom for daylilies but I`ll plant them and enjoy them as long as they will last. What seems to thrive for me is water canna and water iris so I started a lot of those. That blue iris I crossed with some other iris the neighbors were growing has huge seed pods on the ones I pollinated so I`m thinking water iris seedlings. lol!'

Karen
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 21, 2010

Post #7815436

Thanks for the links on the penstemon KA... just what I need, something else to drool over!! Talk about enabling!! :) The link on the red rocks says it is deciduous - but mine never died back...very strange especially considering how cold it was this past winter.

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2010
7:41 PM

Post #7815461

Karen it sounds like too much water for the daylilies. Just build a mound above . your normal level and plant them a little higher. I have lots of no names after the flood so I guess if they will live after being under water six weeks they should live for you. After the blooming please remind me and i will send you a box. If they die they die. I have certainly killed a lot of things you gave me. I lost almost all my canas this year. I guess they rotted due to so much water.

One of my smaller no names

Thumbnail by Riverland

gardener2005
Baton Rouge area, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2010
7:50 PM

Post #7815500

Cindy, I like how that last one looks dainty. Cannas love water but if they are not water canna they will not tolerate standing water for very long especially if it is cold. I planted these daylilies in the bed that has the best drainage where the cannas are doing well and everything came back fine after this winter so that may be my answer. fingers crossed. :)

Karen
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2010
7:55 PM

Post #7815515

I will make sure you get one of that one. This is another no name. You may have these but the ones I gave you weren't blooming yet so I couldn't tell. I did number them so you would know they were different.

Thumbnail by Riverland

kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2010
8:24 PM

Post #7815603

n2birds I do have lots of daylilies getting ready to bloom I think I counted about 25 with scapes on Monday but it seems like a new one has scapes everyday. I am sooooo super excited because the majority of these will be new for me this year. I have my spreadsheet with the 76 varieties all lined up to fill in the bloom dates. I just love the daylily bloom season don't you! That president clematis has been all over my yard I bought it before I had a clue about gardening but this year has definitely been it's best - I love it on my new oblesik (however that is spelled). It has the biggest blooms!
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
8:37 AM

Post #7816581

Karen - (kjuddy- we have 2 Karen's posting right now.lol) - wish you'd put your journal on here -DG. That way when we get ready to start trading daylilies - we can ref. who has what. lol. Guess I didn't realize you were into them too. That is great !

Sandra - that bloom is quite cute on that sedum. Didn't we discuss though what lilylove said about cutting the blooms off or the plant will die? It is just so hard to do that isn't it ?- but I do think I have lost some because I did let them bloom.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
8:54 AM

Post #7816630

lol - we may end up needing a 3rd May thread.

KA - know what this is ???? I was soooo proud when I saw this.

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
8:55 AM

Post #7816634

Thumbergia Battiscombii

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
8:57 AM

Post #7816640

My only foxglove. Don't know why it decided to live when all the others didn't.lol

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
8:58 AM

Post #7816645

hardy little orchid

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
9:00 AM

Post #7816652

Lilies

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
9:02 AM

Post #7816662

Forever Pink hydrangea - thanks Terrye

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
9:05 AM

Post #7816670

Little Geisha's - got these from Gardens Oyvey. I think they are really supposed to be blue, but my fertilizer for my pinky winkies probably ran down to these. lol.

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
9:07 AM

Post #7816679

Perle D'or rose

Thumbnail by n2birds

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
9:09 AM

Post #7816708

Bonnie, I know it is so pretty at your house, so I should cut the flower from it---I know that hen and chicks do that--but I don't think the one that is blooming is a hen and chick--I think it is something else.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
9:11 AM

Post #7816717

Well Sandra - it is pretty in the pictures that I show - but this rain has really encouraged the weeds and grass to love my flower beds. :-(
I thought all of those plants in there were hen and chicks. Shows what I know.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
9:48 AM

Post #7816866

I did too at first, but now I think they are different, because the hen and chicks usually put up a stalk with their bloom and then die after blooming.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
9:49 AM

Post #7816870

So Bonnie what is the yellow flower?
this is Country Pride

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
9:51 AM

Post #7816874

One of my favorites honky tonk blues

Thumbnail by Riverland

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
9:51 AM

Post #7816876

I started a new one
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1099966/

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #7817114

Both those lilies are pretty. I like country pride. I have another one blooming today. I will post a picture later today. Gotta get back outside. Making progress!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America