Our annual end-of-summer contest is here, come on down to the Dave's Garden County Fair!

Mixed borders

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

One of my mixed borders. I guess. It runs into other mixed borders that seemingly have no end.
Let's see yours. Exchange ideas.

Thumbnail by killdawabbit
Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Ah, well. The larger picture was better. :-p

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Just saw your post-I think this its beautiful, and what a view!!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Now you have to tell us what is in your mixed border...what's the tree all the way on the right?

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Those are three trees close together. Behind is Quercus x leana, in front is Quercus austrina and to the right is Quercus x bushii.
Most of my mixed borders started with a single tree. Then another tree several feet away. Then to keep from mowing between them I'd mulch the area and plant stuff. I guess it took on a life of its own.
There's a Rosa Alba Meidiland to the far left and Blush Noisette to the far right. The area still needs a lot of filling in. There is a small Cecile Brunner in the center.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

This pic is closer in of the same border.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

And this is an area inside the same border with another mixed border in the distance.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I have a border that is developing in much the same way, a few scattered trees and lots of scrappy grass. It is finally getting "planted" but still very piecemeal. Maybe I'll post a pic when it leafs out. Still hard to tell what it is doing.

And you have a magnificent backdrop, with the mountains, so pretty!

What is the bronze/purple plant in the second picture?

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

museumgirl, my borders have been made very piecemeal. Now I am finally able to propagate many perennials and shrubs from my own stock. I try to make drifts of a certain groundcover or perennial. It provides continuity and is very eye-pleasing. I like to contrast colors also.
One method I've found and been successful with is to use plain old Lamb's Ears as a pioneer plant. For me they grow like weeds. I'll start them in a new area of the border that I want to bring under control and not have to keep spraying with Roundup. They smother weeds and then when I'm ready to plant something else I just dig them out where I want to put the new plant or plants. In the meantime they are beautiful and the silver goes with just about anything I can think of.
The purple tree is Cotinus Grace.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I love that Cotinus Grace, but don't think it would do well in my yard. I'd love to see more pics of your border as the year progresses.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

There are several areas in that border that I plan to improve later this spring I hope. I'll post pics.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Not a lot blooming just yet. Mostly tulips in the east garden

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

New shade

Thumbnail by ge1836
Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

That is a really nice border. I especially like the first pic. It's like a stream running through your property. Only plants instead of water.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats a good way to imagine it when your planning. I spent a lot of time in Plant Files looking at plants I was considering to see how they look in other gardeners gardens and not hyped up on the nursery website.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Album from today
https://picasaweb.google.com/jgentle4/BloomsMay12

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

That is gorgeous! I love this time of year, I need to go get some current pictures of my yard. My iris are blooming now, and the columbines have flower stalks already! Thanks for sharing, such a pretty place!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This garden at this time is what gets me through the winter.
I cant believe there isnt a gardener who doesnt feel the same.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I so agree! I asked mr husband yesterday if he had ever seen the garden look so pretty. He answered yes, last year! Makes it all worth while!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

sweet.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am just getting around to focusing on this part of the garden. Its at the beginning and in some spruces that divide the property from the neighbors. Woodsie environment for ferns ,hostas,epimediums and hellebores and Solomans seal.
This view is the border looking at the house.The border is nearly 100 feet long and up to 15 feet wide in spots. It runs the gamut from woods to full sun.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

.This is a panorama view from last May.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Shade East this year May 16

Thumbnail by ge1836
Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

That is looking good. It appears you are growing on berms. Best way, IMO.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

No berms here.The property sloaps away from the house in all directions.
Hard gardening but I will not give up.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Shadenewpart border

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

stone walk

Thumbnail by ge1836
Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Gorgeous! I love the stone walk.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

thanx

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That area really changes in a month.
Last year.
June 14 2010

Thumbnail by ge1836
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Isn't that amazing. I always forget how large some plants get, when everything is so small and bare in the spring. Its a surprise every year when the hostas completely fill in, or the roses get so bushy!
We're nearly washed away with all the rain this week, but my roses have buds and hopefully will open this weekend, and I'll post a picture of my front garden/border. Love yours, so pretty. I love the texture and color of all the different kinds of leaves, something I'v been trying to achieve in my garden.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Spring garden planning gets me into trouble. I have digital files of the gardens for every month so I can check June and July in the spot that looks like it could use something.
Often its not a good idea to plant.

Here's whats blooming on this murkie and damp day.
https://picasaweb.google.com/jgentle4/BloomsMay27

This message was edited May 27, 2011 10:58 AM

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

ge, beautiful pics on picasa. In your last pic above is that a Brunnera in the lower left hand corner? Which one?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just barely can see it but it is Brunerra Jack Frost. I let it bloom and then deadhead.
Here are just borders
https://picasaweb.google.com/jgentle4/JustBordersMaybeAFewBlooms

This message was edited May 28, 2011 12:30 PM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Latest border with primulas

Thumbnail by ge1836
Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Very nice! I like your plant combinations.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is a panorama of the west side of the house

Thumbnail by ge1836
Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Haha...I also have a purple clematis next to orange Oriental poppies. Love it.
What are the rounded leaved plants on the right? Pretty.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Ligularias a fave of sluggs.
The Bear just grows on me.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I also love the Martagones with Geranium Samobor

Thumbnail by ge1836

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images