Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: Kinda looks like rhubarb, pretty sure it's not burdock...

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 1, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DianaML
Vermont, IL

May 20, 2010
6:14 PM

Post #7812050

I live in West, Central Illinois. We have moderately clay-y soil (grey, not red). We recently moved to a house in the country and there are a TON of plants in our yard that start off kind of like rhubarb (red stalk, broad, somewhat crinkly (curly) leaves and proliferous.

However, the stalks are not rhubarb-like in that they are not cupped along the length. Also, as they get taller, there are more leaves up the stem, unlike rhubarb. And they don't spread laterally in the way that burdock is said to do. They are often near 4 feet tall and not near that wide at the base. They are rather woody and the root is layered (like a beet or turnip), but not wide or bulbous and very large and hard to find the end of. The thing that's throwing me off here is that all the descriptions I've read and pictures I've looked at for burdock show cupped stems and stalks and these poky purple flowers on top. The stems on these are smooth and I have not seen any flowers or burrs as ascribed to the burdock.

No matter what it is, I want it out of my yard (I pulled 20 or more out of a 4x4 space in one corner of the fence), but it's driving me crazy in not being able to identify it! I have also observed it on the edges of the woods that run along the creek.

I wish I had a picture right now. If I remember, I'll post one.
Kalpavriksha
Sarasota, FL

May 22, 2010
10:20 AM

Post #7816941

Yes, please post! There are other species of Rhubarb. Are you familiar with Pokeweed? It almost sounds like that.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/77054/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America