CLOSED: From My Neck of the Woods to Yours *Our Reveals*

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Partners have been assigned and this swap is closed to new participants. If you missed this one and are interested in participating in others, please check out the swaps Swaps Forum: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/rrtrade/all/

This month we're sharing regional foods and other goodies from our Home State. Since the definition of "Home State" has a different meaning for each of us, it may be where you were born, a State you've lived in, or where you live now. If you have room in your box, please include a plant or two. Foods may include spices or rubs, salsas or sauces, sparkling cider or wine, pickles or relishes, jams or jellies, honey or molasses, and cheese just to name a few so you get the gist. You can make them, shop your local Farmer's Markets, or purchase online. Many of you have also asked for a painted rock as special memento and you're welcome to include one.

1. Value should not exceed $20 prior to postage.

2. If you are NOT mailing a bottle of wine, USPS is fine. Please use a Delivery Confirmation number, whether you send by Priority Mail or Parcel Post.

3. If you ARE mailing a bottle of wine, the only legal carrier across state-lines in the US is UPS. Check your local regulations for in-state mailing. A local winery or broker may be able to mail for you.

4.Post a photo, list your goodies and be sure to thank your buddy.

5. Partners will be assigned Saturday, May 22nd or sooner.

6. Our deadline for mailing is Monday, June 21st...the First Day of Summer!

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1093670/
This is a link to our Haves/Wants: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/985206/
And our Likes and Dislikes: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1012872/

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Our participants are:

Bettypauze
catbirdsue -- wine's ok (likes blackberry)
* ClanCampbell -- NO wine please -- Rec'd from deejay9
Cris316 -- no really spicy foods, please. Also allergic to grapes & bananas.
ddbydeb --- NO wine please
clpgirl -- wine's ok -- prefers White
deejay9 -- wine's ok
Elfs_Garden -- wine's ok, peanuts are ok, NO sugar jellies or jams please / diabetic
froggies_girl -- wine's ok
* FruitOfTheVine -- wine's ok -- Rec'd from MaggieHanson
* GardenChick1982 -- Rec'd from Erin
happgarden -- wine's ok
* heavenscape -- peanuts are ok, NO wine, NO sugar jellies or jams please / diabetic -- Rec'd from Cris316
jsxtiger -- wine and spicy foods are ok
MaggieHanson --
* momoftwo607 -- allergic to strawberries and bananas. No jams or jellies please. A bottle of wine is OK -- Rec'd from Becky
Quilter5bdsr -- NO wine or sugar please / diabetic
rouxcrew -- wine's ok
taters55 -- wine's OK (likes White & Chardonnay)

This message was edited Jul 1, 2010 9:23 PM

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

^_^ got mine.

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I got my buddy..woohoo!! Now I can finish deciding what to get :) Gonna hop over to the likes/dislikes and see what I can see..

( Kris) Smiths, AL(Zone 8a)

Got Mine Too!!

(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Got Mine

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

I got my name! ^_^
This is going to be so much fun!
Kris, Alabama is know for the taladega races, BBQ cooking, the rebel flag. How about your state flower the Camellia. The State Wildflower of Alabama Oak-leaf Hydrangea...

Hope you all are OK with your buddies, it was luck of the draw from a Hat.

Are you feeling better, LK?

Very happy with my buddy! I am still congested, but slowly getting there.

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Fruity you have a dmail, I got mine!!!!
I am back from the lovely state of KY and my garden has gone plum nuts while I was gone. Squash is going wild, I even have some heirloom patty pan squash that managed to come up and a couple mystery vines, I'm thinking cucumbers maybe, won't know till they start fruiting. My Black Russian tomatoes are producing well and the other heirlooms aren't too far behind.

Joy

Rec'd it and have replied, rouxcrew. Wow, your veggies are way ahead of any around here! Must be that Texas sunshine and your ultra rich soil.

Got my vegies beat too. Only thing I can harvest so far is snow peas,,my tomatoes are tiny. Wonder why? It got to 92 degrees here today,,,,hot!!

How's the herb garden? I still don't have anything up in the flat I sowed *yet* except a lone White Sesame. Send me some of that heat, just don't remind me in August I asked for it.

Everything is comming up,, but it is slow growing this year for some reason. Ralph thinks it is because there is too much shade. It starts getting sun around 11am to 7pm I would think that is enough sun?
I hope not cause I donot want to move this. But I also want my herbs,,,sigh,, I still need to finish the inside of the "floor" But cannot make up my mind as what to use. I want poured concrette and puch in scrap glass into a design or lay stepping stones into a grid pattern. Ralph and DB want to just Mulch it and be done. They donot want to do all the work,,,lol

Thumbnail by Elfs_Garden

I heard that tomatoes won't produce unless it is under 90 degrees.

http://www.weekendgardener.net/blog/2008/07/how-temperature-affects-tomatoes.htm

Temperature: Many tomatoes don’t produce fruit when temperatures fall below 50° F or rise above 90° F.

If you live where summer temperatures are either too cold or too warm, try special cold or heat tolerant cultivars.

Well don't tell my heirlooms, they are blooming and setting fruit like mad and we have had 90's for a while. But the night time temps are below 75 which is one of the old stand bys for tomatoes. The blossoms will not set fruit without the evening cool. In a short while, our night temps will be above that and we will be just keeping the plants alive till things cool back down. Then we have a huge head start on our fall tomatoes.
If you look at the right bed, you will see several green ones as well as my chives, parsleys and the varigated basil in the front of it. My parsley and regular basil have both started flowering, my prostrate rosemary, lemon and pineapple mints, and oregano are going strong. I had a garden tomato sandwich on homemade bread with garlic mozarella (our goats) and fresh onion from the garden. Topped it off with a slice of my yellow cake with chocolate frosting. Life is good sometimes.

Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Got my name.....yeah! This is going to be fun!

Dropped my jaw when I saw you garden, Joy, and smacked my lips over your mater samich...um um good.

My garden never looks that good,,whaaaaa

Oh my! The description of that sandwich was enough to send me over the edge......wowzer!
I have been planting all day and need to pick strawberries, besides the ones I have been putting in my mouth.

I have that problem too when picking strawberries or blueberries. I need to go and pick BB, we have a pick your own that is $1.50 a pound and last year my DH and I picked 35 pounds in about an hour. Our BB are not those teeny tiny ones, many are the size of quarters. In fact we switched areas so I could get some nickle sized ones for baking. The others are great right out of the freezer in a bowl, with cold cream on them. It slushes up and is wonderful!!! My boys would always eat 90% of them that way.
Joy

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

Fruity here is the corn

Thumbnail by rouxcrew

And here is the squash and pepper beds

Thumbnail by rouxcrew
Warner Robins, GA(Zone 8b)

This has nothing to do with gardening or the swap, but I just have to share. This is my husband and our 7 year old daughter. They went to the "Father Daughter Ball" last night.
:) She had a BLAST!

Thumbnail by MaggieHanson

Another picture from the ball

One more picture (dancing with her Daddy). I wish I could figure out how to post more than one at once.

Maggie, your daughter looks so beautiful! Who made the dress for her?

Joy, your gardens are very nice! Wish I had the space, and decent soil like that!

Thank You, Linda. I wish I could say I made it, but I didn't. I ordered it from formalkids.com. Next year we'll have two daughters...maybe I'll venture to make their gowns.

Looking better with every pic, Joy. We don't have a BB farm around here that I know of, but did pick 10 lbs of strawberries a week or so ago for $1.10 a pound. We've had strawberry shortcake coming out our ears, hubby's favorite desert other than carrot cake, and I froze the rest.

Maggie, your daughter looks like a Princess. Oh how pretty she is in her formal carrying her bouquet, not to mention her handsome Prince of a Dad. I hope your move goes well:)

Keep the pics coming, they don't have to be about gardening, just whatever strikes your fancy.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

CUTE " BELLE OF THE BALL " WIll Be Long Time Memories . its about that time to put my tractor away
& Call it a day . JOY Great Gardens . Enjoy the matter samwish :)

susie

(Becky) Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

Hello everyone....
I am kinda new to dg and I was makin my way around when I stumbled upon this lovely room
Maggie you have a beautiful daughter, I bet she will remember that night for ever!

Welcome to DG, GardenChick!

If someone else missed this round and would like to participate, please post your interest. We certainly don't want to leave our newest Chick out of the fun. Who's out there lurking that would like to sign up?

Handsome DH, beautiful daughter, life is good.

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Maggie, you are truly blessed :)

Welcome, GardenChick..you'll have a great time on DG!

I didn't get any shopping done this weekend! Doug came over and we went to the Cruise night and of course we had to go on his motorcycle :) I love riding it, but he took me out on the highway for the first time. I told him let's not do that again for a while LOL..

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

SO....FOTV twisted my arm! haha. Didn't take much twisting. =) I am allergic to strawberries and bananas. No jams or jellies please. I would love a bottle of wine. Everything else sounds good too. My likes/dislikes are posted.

Erin

This message was edited May 24, 2010 9:39 PM

Thumbnail by momoftwo607

At least you didn't make me drive all the way to NY to twist your arm...LOL Gotcha down, Erin. Welcome & Thank You for joining us! Lovely Tall Bearded by the way.

We're now officially closed to new participants.

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

Just spotted my first Northern flicker woodpecker =) Exciting!

Thumbnail by momoftwo607

Thank you for the compliments. I hope she remembers that night forever. I know I will!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Your thoughts please.....

I was at a store and they had the most perfect item for me to ship, omg if I did it from here it would cost a mint.. so my question is, without telling you who my buddy is, would anyone mind if I didn't ship until June 24th and that way I could ship in a flate rate box???? only means that someone will have to wait till very end of the month of June to receive...

(Becky) Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

ok with me

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.