Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Last week of May pictures

Ripley, MS

So many pretty things in our gardens now
Maybe this thread will last through the end of the month

Akutsuri Japanese Morning glory

correct spelling
'Akatsuki no Umi' means "sea of dawn" in Japanese.

This message was edited May 22, 2010 11:01 AM

Thumbnail by slcdms
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

One of my gardenias opening up. Is that a morning glory I brought to you? Those are Karen Gardener's seeds. I have had some pretty blue ones from her stash this year.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Ripley, MS

Yes, it is and I looked it up because I did not think I spelled it right

it is
'Akatsuki no Umi' means "sea of dawn" in Japanese.

It is a beautiful color, that is the first bloom on that one

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I'm not sure I kept one of those.
Well it is crinum time

Thumbnail by Riverland
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

That is a pretty morning glory!

Ripley, MS

does anyone have an idea of the name of this iris
Amanda dug it out of her yard and brought it to me

Thumbnail by slcdms
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

What is that bonnie? chocolate loosestrive?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

it's a louisiana iris, but I have no idea which one. sure is pretty, I recently traded for red velvet elvis louisiana iris, it's a deep red like that one is

Ripley, MS

I have 2 red ones that Cindy gave me, but they do not have that yellow in them

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

Ohhh Sandra - love that iris !.. and love Honky Tonk Blue daylily Cindy.

That yellow flower is off of the (KA will have to tell the real name) - chocolate creeping jenny that you sent me last year. It is really doing well this year.

Thumbnail by n2birds
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

it's the persian chocolate creeping jenny, mine is coming back too but not blooming. i had mine in 3 or 4 diff places. it's not as vigorous as the golden creeping jenny is. I wish it was

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

i need to spread mine around too incase it likes it better in more places than others. Mine hasn't gotten "vigorous" yet either, just glad it is doing well enough to bloom :-) Thank you for it KA !

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

you are mighty welcome. As always ;0)

Ripley, MS

I have one little piece of that left, and I kept it in the house over the winter. It has died over the winter twice here, so I took a piece inside and it is still living

Booneville, MS

I took mine in too, sandra, but lost it in the sunroom.

Bonnie, I got an pink/yellow Asiatic today that looks like yours. It's called Tango Ladylike. Shanna had to go to Lowe's looking for plants today and of course I bought stuff! lol

terrye

Booneville, MS

Has anyone tried the Cape Fuschias? I picked up one on the clearance rack at Lowes today called Croftway Coral Princess. It's hardy to 0 but I don't know how it will take the heat and humidity. $3 for a gallon pot it was worth a shot.
They had some beautiful mixed hanging baskets for $6. What was funny is Shanna got more than I did. She's beginning to get the fever... lol

Terrye

This message was edited May 22, 2010 7:33 PM

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Bonnie: all your flowers are lovely! I really like that "Little Geisha" hydrangea and the Pearl D'Or rose. So pretty!
Cindy, the daylilies are beautiful! Mine aren't blooming yet but several have scapes.
Sandra; gorgeous color on that LA iris.

I worked in the yard till about 10:30 this morning and then came in and got cleaned up. Had just gotten in the shower when my cousin called. She wanted me to tour the Cabot Parade of Homes with her today. I said, "sure!" so she picked me up about 1 p.m. Four hours later we completed the tour of the 7 homes. I really enjoyed visiting with my cousin and seeing the lovely homes on the tour, too. Three of them were occupied and they were beautifully furnished. One of them had been furnished by a local furniture store. A designer decorated most of the homes. I would have to win the lottery to be able to decorate my home like those were decorated!! LOL The Parade of Homes was a fund-raiser for some organization but I never did think to ask who benefited from the proceeds.

My smaller pink hollyhock is blooming. The bumblebees love these hollyhocks!

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Something is eating several of my plants. Look at the holes in this salvia koyamae.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I have a couple of small hydrangea that are starting to bloom. I think this one might turn out to be pink.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

This moon vine which Charlotte gave me in March is starting to grow up Buddy's old wooden ladder.

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I finally got my pot man glued to Buddy's ladder.
I'm going to get some colorful pots to glue to the steps of the ladder, too.

This message was edited May 22, 2010 7:55 PM

Thumbnail by marsue
Ripley, MS

That is cute, Marilyn
Amanda also brought a huge clump of hosta--probably 100 eyes in it--green with white outline, I have not idea where they will all go.
She brought a huge clump of daylilies too, they are budding and look to be yellow, she didn't know what they were-can you believe my daughter did not know what a daylily looked like? None of the girls got the flower fever yet, I am glad that Shanna has started liking the plants, Terrye

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Here is my second day lily to open. Mauna Loa I think I'll have another one open tomorrow.

Got a lot done outside today. I spent the entire day outside. I didn't come in until it got too dark to see tonight. I did take a few breaks during the day. I got everything in the ground, or in pots. I got the flagstone cleaned off. A major job. Marilyn knows what a mess it was. I need to finish cleaning off the deck. I have some glass top tables that need to be cleaned and just junk that needs to be put away. Then I need to clean my work area. It looks like a tornado went through!

Then the house is next! Seems like the cycle never ends!!!!

Thumbnail by cperdue
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Terrye, I have one of those cape fushia's It's in my back yard behind my house, I had to cut some of the variegated falopia out of its way today so it could get alittle more sun, it's grown quite large but no blooms yet I hope it blooms soon, It's suppose to be hardy here so i'm going to leave it in the ground.

I got that one when I went to memphis that friday with Kim I think. it could have been the trip before that, I can't keep up these days. LOL

Booneville, MS

Mine had just bloomed but is putting on buds so I am anxious to see them. Mine is going in the ground too, to stay. We'll see how it does this winter.
lol Too many trips for flowers! It all blends together and I can't remember where anything came from or where it went. I spent three weeks hunting for the gift Sandra and I bought for Jeri, thinking I had lost it. Only to find out it was in Cindy's car the whole time. And I would have sworn I took it out of the car at my house! lol

Terrye

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Jeri liked it too!

(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

n2birds I have posted my daylilies on my journal - had no idea there even was such a thing. I checked yours out and I can't believe out of all those daylilies we only have a few in common:) Lots of mine have never bloomed for me so no picture but I love being able to keep them on here. I have tons of scapes but I am still waiting for them to start opening. It is like watching a pot boil:(

This message was edited May 23, 2010 6:19 AM

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra, your iris looks alot like the Ann chowning louisiana iris doesn't it?

this isnn't my picture, I pulled it off the net

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Coral reef was wellworth the wait to see it mound up on top, took a while

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Sunrise echinacea

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Florida Sieboldii (spelling) clematis

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

poppy at night,

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Sakaurajishi japanese iris

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

lost tag japanese iris, I contacted the people I traded with last year on this to get an id.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Group shot of fortune japanese iris

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Bonnie, here's your ruffled velvet siberian, I hope it lives for you, i'll have to get it to you some how LOL Danny dug it for you, it's like cutting through cement it's so thick

Thumbnail by kathy_ann
Ripley, MS

Kathy Ann, I also thought it looked like this one too
http://www.louisianairis.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1234
Your fortune is beautiful ! Is it in full sun? I need to move mine out of the shade.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I have a trade in the works for ann chowning, guess we can compare next year LOL

I use to have that one but I think it died when the gh died.

yes, fortune is in full sun. out bck in the full sun garden.
I think I lost some of the tags on bonnie's spacecoasts daylilies, i'm going to have to get her help with a couple id's on them

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

It is a little hard to tell sometimes on the id's of those iris,

I have margarett lee, and my friend dick and rose cartwheel that are all red also.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I got a cape fushia last year or the year before - can't remember for sure. I ordered mine. It was supposed to be hardy for zone 7b and I think even further than that. I put it in the ground and it was doing great and then all of a sudden it just died. Seems like it died before winter. I also got several other small upright fushsias from a lady on Daves. (not cape fushsia) I kept them in pots. All but one died before winter. The one that lived is Larry and I was able to over winter it in my garage and it is doing good so far the spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.