Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Mid-South Gardening: Last week of May pictures

Communities > Forums > Mid-South Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-South GardeningReplies: 316, Views: 1,099
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
9:50 AM

Post #7816873

So many pretty things in our gardens now
Maybe this thread will last through the end of the month

Akutsuri Japanese Morning glory

correct spelling
'Akatsuki no Umi' means "sea of dawn" in Japanese.

This message was edited May 22, 2010 11:01 AM

Thumbnail by slcdms
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
9:56 AM

Post #7816888

One of my gardenias opening up. Is that a morning glory I brought to you? Those are Karen Gardener's seeds. I have had some pretty blue ones from her stash this year.

Thumbnail by Riverland

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
10:00 AM

Post #7816906

Yes, it is and I looked it up because I did not think I spelled it right

it is
'Akatsuki no Umi' means "sea of dawn" in Japanese.

It is a beautiful color, that is the first bloom on that one
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
10:29 AM

Post #7816957

I'm not sure I kept one of those.
Well it is crinum time

Thumbnail by Riverland

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
11:42 AM

Post #7817119

That is a pretty morning glory!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
12:08 PM

Post #7817156

does anyone have an idea of the name of this iris
Amanda dug it out of her yard and brought it to me

Thumbnail by slcdms

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
12:08 PM

Post #7817158

What is that bonnie? chocolate loosestrive?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
12:09 PM

Post #7817159

it's a louisiana iris, but I have no idea which one. sure is pretty, I recently traded for red velvet elvis louisiana iris, it's a deep red like that one is

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
12:10 PM

Post #7817164

I have 2 red ones that Cindy gave me, but they do not have that yellow in them
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
2:33 PM

Post #7817494

Ohhh Sandra - love that iris !.. and love Honky Tonk Blue daylily Cindy.

That yellow flower is off of the (KA will have to tell the real name) - chocolate creeping jenny that you sent me last year. It is really doing well this year.

Thumbnail by n2birds

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
2:39 PM

Post #7817509

it's the persian chocolate creeping jenny, mine is coming back too but not blooming. i had mine in 3 or 4 diff places. it's not as vigorous as the golden creeping jenny is. I wish it was
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2010
2:42 PM

Post #7817526

i need to spread mine around too incase it likes it better in more places than others. Mine hasn't gotten "vigorous" yet either, just glad it is doing well enough to bloom :-) Thank you for it KA !
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
2:44 PM

Post #7817535

you are mighty welcome. As always ;0)

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
3:57 PM

Post #7817731

I have one little piece of that left, and I kept it in the house over the winter. It has died over the winter twice here, so I took a piece inside and it is still living
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 22, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #7818033

I took mine in too, sandra, but lost it in the sunroom.

Bonnie, I got an pink/yellow Asiatic today that looks like yours. It's called Tango Ladylike. Shanna had to go to Lowe's looking for plants today and of course I bought stuff! lol

terrye
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 22, 2010
6:26 PM

Post #7818113

Has anyone tried the Cape Fuschias? I picked up one on the clearance rack at Lowes today called Croftway Coral Princess. It's hardy to 0 but I don't know how it will take the heat and humidity. $3 for a gallon pot it was worth a shot.
They had some beautiful mixed hanging baskets for $6. What was funny is Shanna got more than I did. She's beginning to get the fever... lol

Terrye

This message was edited May 22, 2010 7:33 PM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #7818155

Bonnie: all your flowers are lovely! I really like that "Little Geisha" hydrangea and the Pearl D'Or rose. So pretty!
Cindy, the daylilies are beautiful! Mine aren't blooming yet but several have scapes.
Sandra; gorgeous color on that LA iris.

I worked in the yard till about 10:30 this morning and then came in and got cleaned up. Had just gotten in the shower when my cousin called. She wanted me to tour the Cabot Parade of Homes with her today. I said, "sure!" so she picked me up about 1 p.m. Four hours later we completed the tour of the 7 homes. I really enjoyed visiting with my cousin and seeing the lovely homes on the tour, too. Three of them were occupied and they were beautifully furnished. One of them had been furnished by a local furniture store. A designer decorated most of the homes. I would have to win the lottery to be able to decorate my home like those were decorated!! LOL The Parade of Homes was a fund-raiser for some organization but I never did think to ask who benefited from the proceeds.

My smaller pink hollyhock is blooming. The bumblebees love these hollyhocks!

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2010
6:45 PM

Post #7818160

Something is eating several of my plants. Look at the holes in this salvia koyamae.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2010
6:48 PM

Post #7818168

I have a couple of small hydrangea that are starting to bloom. I think this one might turn out to be pink.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2010
6:52 PM

Post #7818180

This moon vine which Charlotte gave me in March is starting to grow up Buddy's old wooden ladder.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7818184

I finally got my pot man glued to Buddy's ladder.
I'm going to get some colorful pots to glue to the steps of the ladder, too.

This message was edited May 22, 2010 7:55 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 22, 2010
7:04 PM

Post #7818225

That is cute, Marilyn
Amanda also brought a huge clump of hosta--probably 100 eyes in it--green with white outline, I have not idea where they will all go.
She brought a huge clump of daylilies too, they are budding and look to be yellow, she didn't know what they were-can you believe my daughter did not know what a daylily looked like? None of the girls got the flower fever yet, I am glad that Shanna has started liking the plants, Terrye

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
7:56 PM

Post #7818393

Here is my second day lily to open. Mauna Loa I think I'll have another one open tomorrow.

Got a lot done outside today. I spent the entire day outside. I didn't come in until it got too dark to see tonight. I did take a few breaks during the day. I got everything in the ground, or in pots. I got the flagstone cleaned off. A major job. Marilyn knows what a mess it was. I need to finish cleaning off the deck. I have some glass top tables that need to be cleaned and just junk that needs to be put away. Then I need to clean my work area. It looks like a tornado went through!

Then the house is next! Seems like the cycle never ends!!!!

Thumbnail by cperdue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2010
8:39 PM

Post #7818546

Terrye, I have one of those cape fushia's It's in my back yard behind my house, I had to cut some of the variegated falopia out of its way today so it could get alittle more sun, it's grown quite large but no blooms yet I hope it blooms soon, It's suppose to be hardy here so i'm going to leave it in the ground.

I got that one when I went to memphis that friday with Kim I think. it could have been the trip before that, I can't keep up these days. LOL
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 22, 2010
9:00 PM

Post #7818604

Mine had just bloomed but is putting on buds so I am anxious to see them. Mine is going in the ground too, to stay. We'll see how it does this winter.
lol Too many trips for flowers! It all blends together and I can't remember where anything came from or where it went. I spent three weeks hunting for the gift Sandra and I bought for Jeri, thinking I had lost it. Only to find out it was in Cindy's car the whole time. And I would have sworn I took it out of the car at my house! lol

Terrye
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2010
9:19 PM

Post #7818642

Jeri liked it too!
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
5:19 AM

Post #7819076

n2birds I have posted my daylilies on my journal - had no idea there even was such a thing. I checked yours out and I can't believe out of all those daylilies we only have a few in common:) Lots of mine have never bloomed for me so no picture but I love being able to keep them on here. I have tons of scapes but I am still waiting for them to start opening. It is like watching a pot boil:(

This message was edited May 23, 2010 6:19 AM
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
5:28 AM

Post #7819092

Sandra, your iris looks alot like the Ann chowning louisiana iris doesn't it?

this isnn't my picture, I pulled it off the net

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
5:35 AM

Post #7819106

Coral reef was wellworth the wait to see it mound up on top, took a while

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010

Post #7819107

Sunrise echinacea

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010

Post #7819108

Florida Sieboldii (spelling) clematis

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
5:36 AM

Post #7819111

poppy at night,

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
5:36 AM

Post #7819112

Sakaurajishi japanese iris

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7819114

lost tag japanese iris, I contacted the people I traded with last year on this to get an id.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7819117

Group shot of fortune japanese iris

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
5:38 AM

Post #7819118

Bonnie, here's your ruffled velvet siberian, I hope it lives for you, i'll have to get it to you some how LOL Danny dug it for you, it's like cutting through cement it's so thick

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 23, 2010
6:04 AM

Post #7819169

Kathy Ann, I also thought it looked like this one too
http://www.louisianairis.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1234
Your fortune is beautiful ! Is it in full sun? I need to move mine out of the shade.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
6:12 AM

Post #7819189

I have a trade in the works for ann chowning, guess we can compare next year LOL

I use to have that one but I think it died when the gh died.

yes, fortune is in full sun. out bck in the full sun garden.
I think I lost some of the tags on bonnie's spacecoasts daylilies, i'm going to have to get her help with a couple id's on them
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7819203

It is a little hard to tell sometimes on the id's of those iris,

I have margarett lee, and my friend dick and rose cartwheel that are all red also.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
6:25 AM

Post #7819219

I got a cape fushia last year or the year before - can't remember for sure. I ordered mine. It was supposed to be hardy for zone 7b and I think even further than that. I put it in the ground and it was doing great and then all of a sudden it just died. Seems like it died before winter. I also got several other small upright fushsias from a lady on Daves. (not cape fushsia) I kept them in pots. All but one died before winter. The one that lived is Larry and I was able to over winter it in my garage and it is doing good so far the spring.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
6:37 AM

Post #7819240

The tag on mine said something like zone 5 . I was shocked that it went that far up. we'll see. if it lives or not.

my climate is a good test for hardiness LOL

my pink chinas and big dippers are coming back!!

Danny put these towers in my back yard this morning, guess Iwill put petunias in them so they can cascade over, their front porch columns that he cut off for someone. he wouldn't paint them for me said that yellow looked good in the garden LOL so be it.

so what color calibrocha or petunia would look ok in these?

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #7819243

I love those towers!! What a clever idea!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 23, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #7819443

purple--I love purple and yellow together !
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #7819550

I agree purple is beautiful with yellow. How nice to have someone around that can make things like that. Looks by the miters he really knew what he was doing. How did he get the dip cut out in each side? Did he use duct for the center? Inquiring minds want to know? LOL
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #7819581

Yep Karen - it is like waiting for the pot to boil everyday with these scapes on the daylilies. Glad you posted your daylilies on the journal. I have hopes of eventually putting the location of mine on it also, but still don't have all of mine in the ground yet. (Having to move alot due to deer).

KA - Tell Danny thank you for digging that HUGE clump up for me. I am gonna put those in a different "protective spot" - (even though the others were in a protective spot too lol)
Love the little towers he made you. I agree with him - the yellow is perfect for the garden.

Terrye - Very hard to go to Lowe's and not buy something. I think they do a good job of bringing out new stuff regularly. I may have the name of my asiatic, but just can't get back there to it right now. I had bought 14 variety of bulbs on the coop and "bad- bad - me" - the box came in before the nursery trip to Rita's, so I didn't have time until yesterday to open the box. Figured they'd all be dead from rot. You wouldn't believe what they looked like. Paul said they were "dying to live". They had all popped out of their bags growing, but were all white stemmed. No green. I potted them all up. Hopefully they will make it. Just since yesterday, you can see a few trying to start turning green.

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
9:06 AM

Post #7819586

Love your daylily Charlotte. I still say the orangish/yellow's show up the most.

Marilyn - I am so jeolous of your ladder. It is perfect for your little pot man and will really look great when your vines take over.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 23, 2010
9:28 AM

Post #7819631

Bonnie, I did something even worse. I bought 3 small fantails for my pond yesterday and put them (in the bag) in the pond. Went out to eat with Ray and forgot all about them! Remembered them this morning and it was too late for one of them. I felt so bad. I am a bad Momma...

I like the towers, KA. They will look great with the flowers spilling over. I have to agree with the yellow and purple. Love those two colors together.
I think some of the fuschias have trouble with the humidity and some do better with it. Just don't know which ones. Will see if this one makes it.

Terrye

This message was edited May 23, 2010 11:10 AM
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2010
9:49 AM

Post #7819682

I bought 3 fuchsias at Cleggs thinking if they were in the BR heat they would be ok here. All three are suffering in the shade. I cut all the blooms off so they look some better. I'm sure these are not the hardy ones.

Bonnie my lilies were nearly that bad when I planted them. I even have an extra refrig I could have put them in but didn't. They are resilient so they will keep growing.
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 23, 2010
10:01 AM

Post #7819711

Cindy, I have never been able to get the hanging basket fuschias to live here. The heat and humidity always get them. By the middle of summer they always die on me. I love the blooms. That large nursery I go to in Chicago specializes in them and I always get tempted and buy one, but I didn't this year.

Terrye
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 23, 2010
10:13 AM

Post #7819750

My hydrangeas are just beginning to color up. Here's Blue Billows.

Thumbnail by tryliv

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 23, 2010
10:17 AM

Post #7819765

And next to it, Kurenai. Sorry it's fuzzy. The camera cannot do the color justice on this one. She keeps getting darker until the petals are red.

terrye

Thumbnail by tryliv

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 23, 2010
10:19 AM

Post #7819775

Beni Gaku, another serrata.

terrye

Thumbnail by tryliv

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 23, 2010
10:23 AM

Post #7819787

Annabelle, just coming on.

Thumbnail by tryliv

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 23, 2010
10:27 AM

Post #7819809

Had to post this one. This is Peppermint Forever and Ever. The petals are just beginning to open but this morning it looks like a plant with yellow flowers!

Thumbnail by tryliv

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 23, 2010
10:30 AM

Post #7819816

Here's a pic of the yellow columbine I bought up north, McKenna's Giant.

terrye

Thumbnail by tryliv

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
10:37 AM

Post #7819838

Oh no - got to go get me a Kurenai Terrye. That one is really a nice one. Gardens OyVey ?
Sorry about your little fantails. They aren't cheap either. I do love the little stumpy fantails. The problem I've had with them at my house is, the snakes get them. They can't out-swim anything. :-( Watch out for your cats getting them too. That is what got my mom's. But guess if anything comes to the surface for feed time, the cats can get.

Cindy - that makes me feel a little better. So, you think they will come on out ? I knew I couldn't get them ALL in the ground yesterday, so I figured their best chance was to at least get them potted in some dirt. Getting old really is for "the birds" !!! I could do more if I didn't hurt so bad.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
10:39 AM

Post #7819843

Great shot of one of your "many" beds Terrye. Very pretty. Is that columbine a pale yellow ?

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 23, 2010
10:45 AM

Post #7819866

Bonnie, I know what you mean, pain takes away a lot of our pleasures, doesn't it?
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
10:55 AM

Post #7819887

Yes it does !!! Shame I didn't start gardening when I was alot younger and alot smaller in size ;-(
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 23, 2010
10:56 AM

Post #7819890

Kurenai is my favorite. It is so delicate and lacy looking compared to the other hydrangeas. It did come from GardensOyvey. I'm waiting for Kyosumi to bloom. That;s the one you picked up for me last year. haven't seen it in bloom yet.
So far the cats haven't bothered the fish. The most danger they have been in (other than me!) is one of my grandson's throwing rocks at them. lol I have places for them to hide but my pond is so small if something got in there with them they have no where to run. Hence, small, inexpensive fish!
Terrye

Thumbnail by tryliv

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 23, 2010
10:58 AM

Post #7819897

The outside petals are pale yellow, almost cream and the inside are brighter yellow. Had to have it! lol

terrye
dbibb
Inverness, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2010
12:47 PM

Post #7820186

OMG...all of these gorgeous plants...I have to go get the towel now to wipe up the drool...

You ladies have awesome plants...

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
1:01 PM

Post #7820204

Terrye I love that Kurenai!!! I've got to have one too!!

Two more daylilies blooming today and another almost open. I need to start a journal in Daves also. I should be able to start trading mine as I got big clumps last fall and they should grow this summer.

This one is Paper Butterfly

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
1:02 PM

Post #7820207

This one is Purple Magic

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #7820214

I buy a pot of these begonias every summer. Always get a yellow and a red. I used to kill them about half way through the summer and finally discovered they need to be on the dry side. I used to keep a saucer under the pot. Without the saucer they will live until frost. You'll have to excuse the dirt on the table. It's on the list to clean.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #7820222

My Pretty in Picasso is really blooming.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
1:09 PM

Post #7820226

My Sweet Bay Magnolia is just starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
1:11 PM

Post #7820233

I got these variegated impatiens at Rita's. This pot is really coming along.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
1:14 PM

Post #7820239

I can't believe I actually have some petunias doing what they are supposed to. This was just a little pot I picked up and put in the pot with a rose. Couldn't believe it when I looked at it yesterday. I know petunias are easy to grow so what's the big deal. Well for me they usually don't grow!!!

Thumbnail by cperdue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
1:15 PM

Post #7820240

Their quite happy in that pot !!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
1:16 PM

Post #7820241

Can't remember whether I posted this or not. Blue Frost hydrangea.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
1:17 PM

Post #7820242

This a white lace cap hydrangea. I've had it a long, long time and don't know the name.

Thumbnail by cperdue

tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 23, 2010
1:35 PM

Post #7820275

Love those Lacecaps, Charlotte!

Petunias usually don't like me either. It;s been so wet here even my wave petunias are giving up.

Has anyone seen the new black petunia, Black Velvet? It's gorgeous. Black with a yellow streak doen the center. Very eyecatching. They had them at Woldhuis.

terrye
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
4:52 PM

Post #7820811

Look how big Sakarajishi is on day 2

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #7820813

kaleida show japanese iris

over half won't bloom this year cause their too new, but half will!!

their just beginning , will probably have one or two japanese iris blooms a day now, i'm so excited to see some of them bloom

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
4:55 PM

Post #7820817

I stuffed my towers today, their all purple blooms, but the camera shows the one petunia as blue, even though it's a deep purple

can't wait for them to cascade all over that thing

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
5:27 PM

Post #7820891

Charlotte - your pots really did turn out nice. My DH was in here when I pulled up that picture of your var. impatience one and even commented on how nice it was. One of my friends came over last nite and walked around my yard and noticed my pots this year. I don't usually do that many, but we have all "enabled" one another on them this year, so I have certainly done my share ! Yes... you do need to start your journal of your plants on here. I love seeing others journals and what they have. BTW - How is Sara doing ? Guess she never joined DG ?

KA - you really stuffed that tower ! It is really gonna be showey ! Now I see why Sandra has loved the Jap Iris' after seeing that white one of yours above. That one has got to be the prettiest thing I have ever seen.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
5:58 PM

Post #7820968

Charlotte, your pots are really pretty. I know what you mean about petunias. Mine usually give up the ghost about mid summer, so we'll see. Right now they look pretty decent.

Terry, I'm like everybody else...in love with that Kurenai!! All your hydrangeas are gorgeous. Here is my largest oakleaf about to bust out in bloom.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
6:01 PM

Post #7820975

This is one of my favorite pots this year...Red geranium with Lobelia 'Laguna White'.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #7820982

Another pot with Black and Blue Salvia, 'Navajo Bright Red' Salvia, 'Superbells Blue' supertunia, and Aster.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 23, 2010
6:05 PM

Post #7820983

Oh wow--those Japanese iris are soooooooooooooooooo beautiful !
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #7820994

My first Daylily bloom!!!! Well, except for the orange ones that are like ditch lilies. This one is 'Clockwork'.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7821003

The lizard's tail in the pond is starting to bloom.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #7821033

Verbena, Gaura (siskyou pink and another darker leaf version), Walker's Low catmint in the background and the evergreens (Japanese garden juniper and Rheingold arbovitae).

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #7821042

This is one petunia I sure hope lasts thru the summer. It's 'Easy Wave Burgundy Star'.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010

Post #7821045

Bonnie, I don't think Sara has ever joined. She doesn't have much computer time at work and she doesn't have a computer at home. She has her sons helping her with some hard scrape work in her yard. There are some things she needs to get done so she can get her beds started right. She has just been in her current house a few years. She is always helping them do things at their houses and she finally told them some stuff was going to have to get done at her house before she did anything else for theirs. She has made curtains and other stuff for them. I have to admit I do love pots of flowers.

Kathy Ann I am in love with your Japanese Iris!!

Outside Playing your pots are really pretty too. I'm trying to put perennial things in some of my really large pots and then just add some annuals each year for color.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7821052

Love your frog!! Those are pretty petunias! There have been some really pretty ones out this year.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #7821054

Hollyhock.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
6:37 PM

Post #7821083

Thanks Charlotte. I liked this little frog too. Got him at Petals from the Past down in Jemison AL last year. Another container with red geraniums and Callie Dark Blue supertunia. It looks like I got carried away with those little 'tunia's!!

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
6:43 PM

Post #7821104

This is some of the orange daylilies, campion, and gaillardia (blanket flower) in a much-neglected bed. I bought this daylily at a really hoity-toity nursery a few years back. I think I got taken. It was supposed to be something else entirely and I think I got ditch lilies. I've never been back to even look at their plants, much less buy something there.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #7821119

I probably should post this somewhere else. But these critters crawled up on my water bottle about a week or so ago. They look scary!! I don't know if it's a harmful worm or not. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Elaine

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2010
6:51 PM

Post #7821129

beautiful plants elaine!!

yes, I kind of overstuffed them, I wanted those 3 colors, and had no idea there were 4 little purple petunias in one of those pots. I'll have to water it daily LOL I actually squashed the calibrochas so I could get them in there LOL

it'll spread out in no time now ha.

My japanese iris are fixing to put on a show!! I just love them, i wish all of them would bloom this year.

I got a couple that were just about to open this evening, maybe tomrorow I can post pics before I go to work
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2010
9:27 PM

Post #7821569

Yuk Elaine ! I wasn't gonna bring that picture up, but thought I might recognize it - now I wish I hadn't. Those don't look like anything I'd want ! Hopefully somebody will chime in here. Great job on your pots too. I just got back from Petals From the Past last weekend. We went back on Sunday for me to get a frog statue, and of course - it was gone. Probably best. I didn't see anything there like your frog. Very cute.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2010
1:42 AM

Post #7821782

What a cute frog, Elaine.

Wow KA I want to come saw an iris or two off your clumps when I see those beautiful blooms. I wish I could invent some kind of electric digger. Maybe a 12 inch square piece of sheet metal sharpened as a blade on one edge and hit it with a maul or something on the other end? Maybe an old worn out electric knife. Oh well they look gorgeous in your yard. I had one Sandra had given me but it fell off in the river. How come those tight tough roots didn't hold my bank? LOL If they would I would be ordering some. Loving your pictures, I wish I could be there to see it in person. You have the best green thumb around here.

Charlotte and Terrye your hydrangeas are beautiful. Charlotte that new petunia is looking beautiful. That reminds me of a true garden story. A lady was new to gardening and hadn't got the plant names exactly right yet. Her neighbor asked her what she was going to plant in her new bed. She told her Saliva. (also referred to as spit) Well the neighbor figured she meant Salvia, so without commenting on the blunder, she asked her what she was going to plant with them . She replied "I'm going to plant some of those Spitunias." Kinda sounds like me trying to pronounce names I have only read and never heard spoken .

I'm off to bed
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
4:33 AM

Post #7821922

My roots are probably so tight cause i cut the plastic out of the ground when I planted them and now their growing real close to teh plastic and have to grow in a tighter mound, that ruffled velvet siberian iris was growing on top of plastic a good 5 inches all away around the plant LOL I fixed that the other day but I can never cut into that thing have to get darren or danny to dig a clump out of it every time, some of those japanese iris are the same way now. those huge clumps with the exception of geisha girl, that one is about 5 years old the other clumps are only 3 years old . i have to find a way to divide with out disturbing the rest of them, I seem to kill them off when I lift the whole plant and divide.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2010
4:44 AM

Post #7821944

Wow, love your pics! I only have 2 L. Iris mine are Blk Gamecock and Hush Money. I don't have a pond to put them in but a friend has offered me koi, so that might be a future project.

This is the first year for my Japanese iris to bloom. They are no names I traded for but I will love them anyway.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:12 AM

Post #7821984

I don't have a pond either and the japanese and louisiana iris get no extra wter in the summer months, they do jst fine fo rme

I never did post pics of my louisiana irises that's something I forgot to do LOL

here's prix de elegance louisiana iris

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010

Post #7821985

Captain gates

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010

Post #7821987

Clyde redmond

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:13 AM

Post #7821989

Acadian miss

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010

Post #7821990

broad daylight

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010

Post #7821991

cajun sunrise

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:14 AM

Post #7821994

my friend dick

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010

Post #7821995

voodoo rite

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010

Post #7821996

bajazzo

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010

Post #7821997

innkeeper

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:15 AM

Post #7821999

C'est si bon

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010

Post #7822001

james faith

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010

Post #7822002

kristi g

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:16 AM

Post #7822005

margaret lee

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010

Post #7822008

rose cartwhee.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010

Post #7822009

squidlee

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:17 AM

Post #7822011

jacaranda lad

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:17 AM

Post #7822013

foxy one

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:18 AM

Post #7822015

This is love

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010

Post #7822016

yummy

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010

Post #7822017

poverty point

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010

Post #7822018

professor ike

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010

Post #7822020

Ann's legacy

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010

Post #7822021

never could put a name on this one

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #7822023

Cute story Cindy!! Sounds like you have a good idea going with the sheet metal and mallet!
I keep my super duper knife on a shelf at the back door and use it all the time. It is one of those that is supposed to cut through frozen food and bone. It's the best thing I've found so far! I do have an old electric knife. I hadn't thought about using it. Good idea.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:20 AM

Post #7822024

Not that I put names on all these others , but you know what i mean LOL
maryleek
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:44 AM

Post #7822073

Elaine,

The worm(s) you have are caterpillars and will soon become very beautiful butterflies. They are host specific, meaning they will only dine on one species of plant leaf and these look like they're close to maturity so please consider letting them be. They'll soon crawl off to find the perfect spot to form their chrysalis, where they'll stay for approx 10-12 days and then emerge as a lovely butterfly to grace your gardens. Since they crawled up your water bottle, they may be on their 'walk-about' right now, searching for their final perfect resting spot where they'll wait to become a butterfly.

Mary

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:45 AM

Post #7822074

A few more! This is a variegated hydrandrea. It doesn't get as big (full) as my other hydrangea but I really like the foliage.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:47 AM

Post #7822082

Putting my brugs in pots and keeping inside over the winter is working. I already have one bloom. I have two other plants with buds that will be opening in a day or two. This is a NOID one.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:50 AM

Post #7822085

Oriental lily. I have a tag with the name but I couldn't read it without getting down in the dirt. Would you believe those slugs on the two buds. I've got to get out there with my slug be gone.

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
5:51 AM

Post #7822088

Pantyloon campanula. Sorry seems a little blurry. Kathy Ann gave me this one.

Thumbnail by cperdue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7822147

Dirigo red rocket japanese iris bloomed this morning

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
6:15 AM

Post #7822150

I need to move my variegated lacecap to the part shade it's never bloomed, I have it in full sun, some hydrangeas do good inthe full sun that one seems to do bad.

side view of dirigo red rocket

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 24, 2010
7:16 AM

Post #7822333

Wow - ya'll have been busy posting pics!! It has been a challenge to catch up but they sure are beautiful blooms! Cindy - Love that Honky Tonk Blues DL and that pink and white crinum... Charlotte, your blooms are beautiful but I am partial to that Mauna Loa...

Kathy Ann - your yard must be bursting with color!! So many blooms and they are all beautiful. What kinds of porch posts were those ?? I am inquiring because although our house is only 6 yrs old, I am going to HAVE to purchase new posts! I think I kept some of the ends off our ours when we first did them, but not sure if I still have them or finally burned them... kept thinking there should be SOMETHING I could use them for - but mine did not have the piping inside...

Everyone the blooms are beautiful! Elaine - the frog is super cute! Thank goodness that place is in Alabama so I don't have to worry about spending money there!

savagegardener
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2010
7:25 AM

Post #7822360

WOW ...Terrye - that black velvet petunia is simply to die for ..here is a link to a page showing a You Tube video of some in arrangements...very nice with the diamond frost euphorbia in pots

Where were they at again ?

http://gardengates.info/tag/black-velvet-petunia

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 24, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #7822503

Yes, they are beautiful

Isle of Zanzibar

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 24, 2010
8:11 AM

Post #7822510

This is the whole plant of the rudbeckia bloom I showed the other day, Irish Eyes

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 24, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #7822527

Here is what you do with the limelight artemisis extras

Thumbnail by slcdms

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2010
8:41 AM

Post #7822610

Mary, thanks for your I'd as a butterfly cat. I posted on the insect and bug I'd forum and am told it is of the Nymphalidae family (brushfooted butterflies), possibly a Mourning Cloak. I let them be and put them back in the beds. I have since seen another one near the hose bib on the side of the house. I don't recall ever seeing a Mourning Cloak here so I'm going to check it out further. This type includes painted Ladies, viceroys, frittilaries and a bunch of others that I do see in summer. Can't wait to see what hatches!!
tryliv
Booneville, MS

May 24, 2010
12:10 PM

Post #7823187

They had them at the Wolhuis, the nursery just south of Chicago I went to last week. They had Pretty Much Picasso too but they were all in container arrangements. They were already out of the others. It is NICE. Wish now I had gotten one. Oh, well... lol

Terrye
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7823683

Genna, i'm not sure what kind of porch posts they are, they could go inside a house too he's put these kind of columns inside houses also.

these were just the ends that were cut off two .
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7825261

I think I have the spelling wrong on that sakarajishi jap iris. I'm asking a person for the correct spelling of it.

it opened more pinkish today, weird, that white flower was the first bloom and now all the rest are pinkish tinted.

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
5:53 AM

Post #7825270

pussy toes

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
5:56 AM

Post #7825277

one more and I have to go to work

forever and ever hydrangea

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 25, 2010
6:09 AM

Post #7825321

Well. I thought I'd pop in to this thread while the coffee was brewing. I ended up going all the way through the thread...

I didn't know until this morning that my OOOOOOOH-er and AAAAAAAH-er would even work before my first cup!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
6:20 AM

Post #7825353

Lots of stuff to oooh and aaahh on this thread, it has been a beautiful month of May.
Today I am going to attack the giant hosta that Amanda dug up out of her yard and brought to me---anybody need any??????????????????????

Thumbnail by slcdms

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 25, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #7825356

I just love all the Irises and Petunias, the Hydrangeas and Lilies...oh! You have such pretty pretties! I'll share a few of mine with you as well.

I'll start with a Hydrangea that was given to me as a seedling last year. I'd really like to know what kind it is and hope that maybe someday it'll have a name.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 25, 2010
6:26 AM

Post #7825369

That's enough Hosta to pass around for sure! Wow! The slugs around here would have a field day!

This is one of my Peppermint Hydrangeas. As you said, Tryliv, it bloomed out kind of yellowish. I wondered how that could turn into something that resembled peppermint!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 25, 2010
6:27 AM

Post #7825373

My other Hydrangea is a Blushing Bride, although she doesn't appear to be very bashful just yet...

gen2026
Camden, AR

May 25, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #7825467

Beautiful blooms! Love those hydrangeas!

Elaine I forgot to ask about the Lizard's tail... does it have to be in a pond or really wet place?? It is so cute, but my soil is sandy so it doesn't stay wet...

Genna
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2010
7:06 AM

Post #7825485

Well it is nice to see you over on this thread to MMary. We always want to enable the our vices. LOL I know you have a good camera and more than hydrangeas so post more. We love seeing each others flowers.

My large Vitex fell off in the river during the flood. I bought this one last year with no Idea where to put it and not needing it. Now I am glad I did. It is a little different but I didn't keep the tag. Does anyone here have the dark purplish leaf vitex? I saw one in a pot from Lowes several years ago and have never seen one since.

Thumbnail by Riverland

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 25, 2010
8:13 AM

Post #7825688

Riverland, I do have a few more but didn't want to "hog the road" with them -- ;-)

I have some Asiatic Lilies that bloomed this weekend. First, the red ones...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 25, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #7825692

...and then the yellow ones...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 25, 2010
8:18 AM

Post #7825707

My Big Sky Coneflower has shot up, seemingly overnight, and now has about 15 blossoms in various stages of opening. I don't know which one in the Big Sky Series this is.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 25, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #7825712

Dahlia 'Louise'

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #7825721

Never have to worry about "hogging" up the thread here MissMary. "Keep 'em coming".

Do your Dahlias do well for you ?

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 25, 2010
8:23 AM

Post #7825723

This caught my eye and, since it was on clearance, I nabbed a few of them!

Lanai Verbena

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 25, 2010
8:29 AM

Post #7825751

N2birds, this is the first year I've tried to grow Dahlias. We'll see. This one has taken off and bloomed a good bit since I planted it but I have another one (Starsister) that's just sitting there. We'll see how it goes.
duckmother
North Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
8:46 AM

Post #7825806

Orange gerbera daisy...

Thumbnail by duckmother

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
9:43 AM

Post #7825974

Genna, Yes I believe Lizard's Tail is aquatic or considered a marginal and should at least have roots in water. They do spread but they are cute and hardy.

Mary, nice to see you posting your lovely blooms. Just that much more for us to keep ooooooh'ing and aaaaaaah'ing!!
Love your dahlia. I have not had much luck with them.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #7826069

Mary, no such thing as hogging here, we just start up a new one when we need it, on the hot afternoons when we can't stand to be outside we can look at all the beautiful blooms on the computer !
I bought that verbena once and it had a tag in it that said it was hardy, but it did not come back, do you remember what your tag said. I love verbenas !

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
10:49 AM

Post #7826185

The giant hosta is no more----it is now in pieces
5 of them are at the back of this picture

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
10:50 AM

Post #7826189

5 more at the back of this picture, as you can see I am having to get into the woods to put them out--LOL

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
10:51 AM

Post #7826194

Another morning glory that Cindy raised-
Cindy this one had the Lavender Moon vine label on it, but it is not that, it is a Morning Glory

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
10:51 AM

Post #7826196

Shasta and a double unregistered daylily

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
10:52 AM

Post #7826197

Stokesia has started

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
10:53 AM

Post #7826199

Shamrock and purple verbena

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
10:54 AM

Post #7826200

Santolina Verde that Jeri gave me getting ready to bloom

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
10:57 AM

Post #7826204

Amaryllis that hitched a ride from Louisiana with a St. Joe lily--lol
Thanks Cindy !

In case I ever forget to tell any of you--I love all the plants that have been given to me by my friends, they mean so much more to me, knowing that you went to the trouble to dig and pot and transport them to me. It is the joy of my garden remembering all the wonderful friends that have shared with me.
I am only sorry I haven't been able to dig any plants to share with all off you this time, maybe by the fall I can !

Thumbnail by slcdms

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
10:58 AM

Post #7826206

Really like that foilage on that Santolina Sandra. Looks like it has liked you too.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
10:59 AM

Post #7826211

A beautiful daylily that needs a name. I think I got it at Cindys--it has "Web of Intrigue" on it--but it does not match the picture I found on Tinkers.
If any of you recognize it, I sure would like to put the right name on it, it is huge and beautiful !!

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
11:01 AM

Post #7826216

Bonnie, that is also one of the touch and sniff plants that I love, yes, I cut it way back when I cleaned the beds out this spring and it has recovered very nicely.
The silver one is beside it, but didn't get it in the picture, the silver one came from Kathy Ann.

Close up of the double yelllow

Thumbnail by slcdms

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:02 AM

Post #7826220

WOW! I'm joining in finally!!

The lilies I planted in the front flowerbed are all budding!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:03 AM

Post #7826227

Ha! Sandra I'm invading!! LOL My time is wrong on this website. Wonder if I'm still Central time. hhmmmmmm

Here's a better pic of a different plant.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #7826231

This monster needs to be divided.

Thumbnail by crissyr

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
11:04 AM

Post #7826234

Bring it on Crissy--I am finished with the pictures--I think everyone 's time is messed up on Daves
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #7826240

Look at this cutie!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:06 AM

Post #7826243

Ok good, it's not me thinking it's only 12:05 here lol!

This bee balm isn't growing much

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:09 AM

Post #7826252

Hm, I didn't take a pic of my big bee balm. That's ridiculous! Oh well, I'm going to go out tonight and get more pics anyway. This is a red canna

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:10 AM

Post #7826254

This is orange and red cannas, and a bit of my really big bee balm that goes almost to the top of the 8' fence!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #7826256

This came up last year too and I have no idea what it is. I have one in a pot I'm bringing to KA's. It's pretty, obviously a perennial of some sort, probably a weed, and gets pretty big.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:12 AM

Post #7826260

This Hot Lips is trying to grow around the tall bee balm

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:13 AM

Post #7826264

smoooch!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:13 AM

Post #7826268

Row of Pink Velvet Brugs in front of the veggie garden.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:14 AM

Post #7826271

The wind blew down our corn. Dave tried to fix it but was doing more harm than good. It looks better now.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:16 AM

Post #7826275

These peas get to a certain height, bloom, start to get a pea pod, then die.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:20 AM

Post #7826280

Ok, I'm back. Phone rang. Let's see...

Green beans are growing like crazy.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:22 AM

Post #7826286

I think these are yellow squash.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #7826289

Beefsteak tomato

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #7826291

LOL Tiga was worried about the corn too!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:24 AM

Post #7826299

Last year we grew watermelon along the fence. I guess one of them got away from us. I don't know what the bulbs are coming up in front of it.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:25 AM

Post #7826302

Here's a better pic of the mystery bulbs

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:26 AM

Post #7826306

Lamb's Ear seems to be happy

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:26 AM

Post #7826310

Yellow Squash

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:27 AM

Post #7826317

Carrots, that one is outgrowing all the others!

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:28 AM

Post #7826321

Green Beans invading the Red Potatoes

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:29 AM

Post #7826323

Red Potatoes and Broccoli

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:31 AM

Post #7826327

We got invaded with worms.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:32 AM

Post #7826331

Alright, I'll quit boring you with veggies.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:33 AM

Post #7826332

All the Hydranges

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:34 AM

Post #7826339

I thought I had more, but that's it. I'm going to try to find that pic of the overgrown bee balm...
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
11:50 AM

Post #7826399

Here we go, these last two were taken from my cell phone. These are the worms that got my broccoli.

Thumbnail by crissyr

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010

Post #7826402

I almost grabbed this guy.

Thumbnail by crissyr

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
12:28 PM

Post #7826505

If those peas are English Peas, it is probably the heat killing them, they are cool weather veggies.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 25, 2010
12:29 PM

Post #7826508

Here's one of my Petunias after it rained yesterday.

Crissyr, I hate that the worms made lace out of your garden goodies! You know, I've never been a big fan of blue Hydrangeas, but that one of yours is a beauty. Love the color!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
2:25 PM

Post #7826954

I'm having so much fun with my day lilies. Can hardly wait to see what has opened overnight! I have 4 new ones today.

Sandra I really like your Web of Intrigue. It reminds me of this one - Hang Six. Of course it is not the same but they both have similar colors and a different look. Your hostas are going to look really good at the edge of the woods.

Thumbnail by cperdue

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #7826955

They're snow peas. I had one pod that was small and had itty bitty peas in it, then it died. The next one I find I'm going to pick and see if it's ripe.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
2:26 PM

Post #7826956

Grand Marshall

Thumbnail by cperdue

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
2:27 PM

Post #7826960

I can't wait til mine open!! Open Open Open!!!

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
2:28 PM

Post #7826967

Jolyene Nichole

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
2:29 PM

Post #7826976

Moonlit Masquarade

Thumbnail by cperdue

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
3:06 PM

Post #7827101

I know you are enjoying them Charlotte--Jolyene Nichole will look much better as the blooms open, sometimes the first ones don't look exactly as you expected them !
Mine is mislabeled--it is not Web of Intrigue--but it sure is pretty !!!

http://www.daylilies.org/DaylilyDB/
http://db.tinkersgardens.com/?script=3.1
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2010
4:52 PM

Post #7827424

Sandra is it truly red or a little rosey colored? If it is it is probably Artistic web. Tinkers picture 1 is pretty accurate but picture is way off color.
Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2010
4:56 PM

Post #7827431

this is it.

Thumbnail by Riverland

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #7827463

It is really that red, but it is in the shade most of the day too
You are probably right, I am going to change it to that !
JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 25, 2010
6:00 PM

Post #7827589

CENTAURA MONTANA-MOUNTAIN BLUE
Karen's gift from Georgia when she went to the masters. Isnt it pretty? A whole new plant group for me to obtain!

Thumbnail by JanieP

JanieP
Jacksonville, AR

May 25, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7827611

Trying another one, hope it doesnt look as blurry.

Thumbnail by JanieP

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #7827624

New one to me too! Very pretty and very unusual.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #7827650

Is it a perennial, or annual ? I love blue flowers
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
6:23 PM

Post #7827687

That's georgious, I just recieved the centurea amythist snow in a trade and it's potted and coming back, it's quite a stunning plant in bloom. can't wait to see it flower next year.

they have some neat varieties of that plant

here's my tomatoes, got them all tied up tonight. before dark

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010

Post #7827709

Wow look at those tomatoes and you do have them tied up! I do have two measly plants!!! One in one of those up side down planters and one in a large pot. Both have one tomato on them.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
6:34 PM

Post #7827734

LOL we do love our tomatoes. I took cuttings off all those plants and got them in the kitchen window, in water, their getting nice roots on them, they will be my fall tomatoe plants.

not that i'll need to put any more up after all these.

These are a new kind this year, called super fantastic, and I have my fave beefstake also. or is it beef master. I can't remember. beans will be ready to pick by the time the garden party rolls around LOL I posted all the veggie pics on fb.
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #7827761

Beautiful pic's everyone..there really not a whole lot blooming here as of yet...
But I got my first daylily blooms today on my Lemon/Custard lily
Their not as loaded this year as they were last as we had a really hard frost that wiped out my Wisteria buds..she was gonna be gorgeous this year too...

Lemon Liliies

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7827773

Nellie Moshier Clem and White Columbines

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2010
6:50 PM

Post #7827790

William Guiness Columbine

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7827798

Jackamani Clem

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #7827808

Nellie Moshier Clem

Thumbnail by lilsista59

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 25, 2010
6:56 PM

Post #7827810

Beautiful Phyllis, you are not too far behind us, save some of those William Guiness Columbine seed, they are beautiful
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7827814

A Jacobs Ladder I bought from a native plant store

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2010
7:00 PM

Post #7827820

Okay i will I have them growing everywhere here..they do really good here..

Here's my very first Rhodie bloom taken on the 16th...Pretty Light Pink

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2010
7:02 PM

Post #7827824

Here she is almost 10 days later...she turned White..is this normal??

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2010
7:06 PM

Post #7827840

This is an Intermediate Iris called add it up..she been blooming for over 2 weeks now..

KA I love that Cajun Sunrise one it's gorgeous

Thumbnail by lilsista59

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 25, 2010
7:51 PM

Post #7827992

My Lily Bed -- the Asiatics are starting to bloom and the Tigers are budding.

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2010
11:30 PM

Post #7832113

Phyllis I am so jealous of the Rhodies.
Nice pictures everyone.

Sandra how tall is your red Noid? It looks a lot like All American Chief blooming also blooming now.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2010
11:53 PM

Post #7832142

Celebration of Angels

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2010
11:54 PM

Post #7832145

Aesthetic ballet

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2010
11:55 PM

Post #7832147

Wispy Rays

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2010
11:57 PM

Post #7832152

Lunar max

Thumbnail by Riverland

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2010
12:04 AM

Post #7832155

Spacecoast Bold Scheme

Thumbnail by Riverland

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2010
4:51 AM

Post #7832381

Cindy and i'm sooo jealous of your daylily blooms
They are gorgeous...
So glad you didn't lose them all to the flood
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
5:29 AM

Post #7832450

look at those daylilies! cool

Why are the rhododendrons so high dollar ? I mean you can't even buy them in lowes for less that 25 to 30 .00 yours are beautiful phyllis
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2010
5:48 AM

Post #7832494

Nice blooms everyone.

I had my nite bloomer showing off a little last nite. 5 blooms at once. Where is Picaboo? She usually has quite a display of these blooms that would make anyone jealous.

Thumbnail by n2birds

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
5:52 AM

Post #7832499

That's beautiful Bonnie, does it have a fragrance?
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2010
5:54 AM

Post #7832501

Oh yeah - especially when there are 5 blooms of them. The moths were coming while we were out there trying to photo them. It is not a strong, sweet smell, but you can tell it has a smell.
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 27, 2010
6:26 AM

Post #7832552

Wow - beautiful blooms! Cindy - love all those DLs... MY perseus sandels is blooming and I keep meaning to take a pic... I have two others blooming but most are just gettting ready to start. How long does it take before they get large enough to divide? Most of mine just seem to have 2 fans - maybe 3 on a couple...

Charlotte your daylilies are beautiful - especially for the first year! They are really doing well!

Sandra, does that pink shamrock bloom all summer? I should know because I grew up with it, but I can't remember! I am thinking about digging up some at my Mom's house.

I have some hot pink gerbera daisys planted in a pot with some other things - and I noticed that the blooms appear to have seeds once they die back. Does anyone know if I coan plant those seeds in the spring and get more hot pink gerberas? Or will it produce a different color?

Love all the blooms! May has sure been a beautiful month!

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 27, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #7832589

The shamrock blooms off and on all summer. It is a favorite of mine--I love all of them

Cindy, mine looks more like the wispy rays, the petals curl at the end of it do you remember if you divided any of it last year?

They are so hard to id--no telling what it is--lol--it is short, it is not tall, probably 18-22"

Thumbnail by slcdms

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
6:53 AM

Post #7832623

Cindy love all your day lilies!

Bonnie your night blooming plant is really pretty!

Genna I have some gerbers in the ground. They have been there for at least 5 or 6 years. They come back every year but never do much bloom wise. I might get one or two blooms and that's it. I thought sure they would not come back this year after the hard winter but they are back up.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 27, 2010
7:57 AM

Post #7832770

The daylilies are getting going

Mayfair Season

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 27, 2010
7:57 AM

Post #7832772

Potentate

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 27, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #7832777

this is the one in question this morning

This message was edited May 27, 2010 8:59 AM

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 27, 2010
8:01 AM

Post #7832784

My Darling Clementine

Thumbnail by slcdms

Riverland
Northeast, LA
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2010
8:56 AM

Post #7832952

Sandra Wispy Rays has that pattern on the petals and as a rule does not curl. I will keep looking.
Thanks for the compliments but Mother Nature takes the credit.

Genna Gerbera Daisy seeds are rarely viable.

Thumbnail by Riverland

crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
9:03 AM

Post #7832971

OMG those are gorgeous!!!
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2010
9:18 AM

Post #7833035

Love the blooms today...

KA don't know why their so high in price..My FIL said we couldn't grow them here (too cold)
but I tried..we're a little bit more sheltered here
I got mine for 6.00 on clearance 2 years ago it's just a baby but so far
it's still alive and I got a bloom this year..

Lupines this morning...Purple and White

Thumbnail by lilsista59

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
9:23 AM

Post #7833059

Loving all the daylilies!!
I have a few new ones today.

this is Lemonberry Truffle

Thumbnail by cperdue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
9:24 AM

Post #7833063

Daring Dilemma

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
9:25 AM

Post #7833070

Don't know what happened to the photo! Here is Daring Dilemma again.

Thumbnail by cperdue

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2010
9:30 AM

Post #7833092

Purple ones..

Seems my dirt loves things that are purple...LOL

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2010
9:35 AM

Post #7833124

Really pretty Crissy..
can't wait till mine start..Eenie Weenie open really pitiful this morning..what scapes I had got hit by that hard frost...

Lily of The Valley

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2010
9:39 AM

Post #7833133

Jackamani Clem going strong

Thumbnail by lilsista59

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
9:40 AM

Post #7833135

I'll have to keep an eye out on clearance sales at lowes at the end of the season.

I think I may be getting my lupines to take off this year, for some reason, I had them in the shade before and they aren't doing as well. I may get some blooms next year from the ones that are in the sun, I thought they liked more shade but mine seem to like the full sun.

I'm hoping for some georgious lupine blooms next year like you have this year. Love them.

I got a couple flowers from daylilies their jst beginning here.

I'll have to go get my camera out of the potting shed so I can post some pics of more japanese iris blooming.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
9:41 AM

Post #7833142

looks like your lupines are in part shade? I've lost everyone of mine that I put in part shade.

love the purple and white ones

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 27, 2010
9:42 AM

Post #7833149

Oh yes, don't you dare let us miss a Japanese Iris bloom !! I think I am going to have to move mine to the sun, mine are doing nothing in the way of increase.
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2010
9:47 AM

Post #7833168

I've planted Pink..White and Purple and each year is a surprise..
They've been here forever and drop seeds everywhere..i'm trying some in the shade
(I transplanted some babies) so i'll see how they like it here..
But the rest are in full sun..
Sometimes i'll get one that's pink or white..but they mostly come up purple
that purple and white one must be a cross...2nd year for it...
I have lots of pines so I don't know if that makes a difference in the colors..i've tried yellow roses and they turn White here..LOL

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
10:03 AM

Post #7833203

Kathy Ann I found a rhododendron at Lowe's clearance last year. It was piteful looking but cheap so I bought it. It made it through the winter and is looking fairly healthy but no signs of blooms. Maybe I'm get some next year.
crissyr
Fayetteville, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
10:30 AM

Post #7833296

wwwaaaaa mine aren't blooming yet. We're going to my mom's in OKC from tomorrow morning til Sunday evening, maybe they'll be blooming when I get back. The buds are still really small though.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
11:37 AM

Post #7833531

YOu know I think I remember those things aren't that hardy are they? zone 7? I guess i'd have to check that before I bought any.

ok, i'm going to go get my camera now ;0)

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 27, 2010
11:38 AM

Post #7833538

Well, I waited 3 years for this bloom and I am a little disappointed
It is the variegated leaf Japanese Iris

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 27, 2010
11:39 AM

Post #7833541

Very Happy with this one though

Dot Com
Thank you Phyllis !!!

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 27, 2010
11:41 AM

Post #7833551

Another bloom of the morning glory at the top of this thread--I am really enjoying this one

Thumbnail by slcdms

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 27, 2010
11:43 AM

Post #7833553

the first ditch lily bloom here

Thumbnail by slcdms

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
11:47 AM

Post #7833562

I went back up here to see which was the last japanese iris I posted a pic of.

i saw your pics crissy, I guess I over looked them,

you can still save your brocolli, put a little 7 dust on it, they'll still produce heads if they haven't already.

your peas it's way too late to get peas now. they need to be planted in feb or early march and harvested before the heat sets in.

hope you get some brocolli though, we didn't plant any of that this year.

here's Japanese iris Dirigo red rocket

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
11:48 AM

Post #7833565

Glitter & Glamour Japanese iris

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
11:49 AM

Post #7833567

Japanese iris Center of Attention

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
11:49 AM

Post #7833570

A nother shot of Dirigo red rocket

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010

Post #7833575

Imperial magic Japanese iris

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
11:51 AM

Post #7833579

Got a late blooming TB iris halloween moon

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
11:53 AM

Post #7833586

Buddleia attraction is starting to bloom So is black knight

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
12:00 PM

Post #7833607

Endless summer hydrangea I had to throw a bucket of water on it this morning, cause dude used it as a fire hydrant. ARGH!!

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 27, 2010
12:02 PM

Post #7833616

Hot Pink Geranium

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #7833864

Question about Jap Iris'. I had 2 to bloom yesterday for the first time, but I can not find either of them when googling the name. Are there so many, that they don't register them ? It's probably been like Sandra - 2/3 yrs. waiting on the bloom, so who knows where I got them from. I've checked the obvious sites like Schreiner's, etc.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #7833875

I just emailed polly to find out which site has all the registered cultivars of the japanese iris. ill let you know what she says what's the name of your two iris bonnie?

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 27, 2010
1:36 PM

Post #7833893

The names have to be spelled correctly to get a hit on Google for them, I have a hard time spelling the J iris names
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #7833896

Well - What I have on the markers are...
Kiyozuri & Yamato Hime
(Kiyozuri could be Kiyozumi)

Thank you so much !
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2010
1:38 PM

Post #7833899

Yeah - I figured that out. And some are hyphenated.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
1:52 PM

Post #7833945

yikes, those are tough ones, I'll post that link when I hear from her. I found one of mine there that I couldn't spell right
savagegardener
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #7834093

try here

http://www.ensata.com/
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
2:58 PM

Post #7834149

That link that polly gave me had hundreds and hundreds of names, all registered japanese iris, but no pics, I was looking for spelling errors and it helped alot. i still haven't heard from her. but as soon as I do i'll post that link too

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 27, 2010
3:20 PM

Post #7834209

Found this description for this here
Yamato Hime: 6 falls, pink with white center

http://www.charlesstreetgarden.com/japaneseirises/iris_ensata.html
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
4:00 PM

Post #7834350

http://www.socji.org/2003Checklist.doc

let's see if that link works
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
4:04 PM

Post #7834369

I found this one

YAMATO HIME

but didn't find that other one. maybe you can match it up.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2010
4:15 PM

Post #7834408

Wow, such beautiful blooms everybody! I am a bit behind due to the death of my friend, Mary Nell. We knew each other for 55 years! Her service was yesterday and it was a very sweet and loving tribute to her. She called me almost daily and I will miss her greatly.
I went out this morning and took these photos. I saw what I think was an Eastern Black Swallowtail on the Hot Lips Salvia. It circled around the whole garden a couple of times but landed on the Salvia and fed there. It kept fluttering its wings so some of the photos are blurry but I was just glad to see a butterfly in the garden. I have only see two or three butterflies so far this season.

Thumbnail by marsue

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
4:17 PM

Post #7834416

Marilyn I know you will really miss Mary Nell!!!

We've missed you this week! Pretty butterfly.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2010
4:19 PM

Post #7834424

thanks, Charlotte!

One more of the BF

Thumbnail by marsue

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
4:36 PM

Post #7834466

Glad your back with us Marilyn. 55 years is along time to know someone.

I never can take good butterfly pictures, camera isn't fast enough to take the shot before I scare them off LOL

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 27, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7834478

I saw 2 on the verbena this evening, but the picture blurred, they love the tall verbena
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
4:40 PM

Post #7834479

we're going to have to have a new thread even though this week isn't over we've been busy posting pics LOL

Hey bonnie, I got that viburnum in your yard id'd it's the acerfolium (maple leaf viburnum) it's not a good pollenator for the blue muffin, I got a denatum variety coming though, I think terrye may have gotten some of that viburnum too. so she'll know what kind it is now.
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2010
5:00 PM

Post #7834526

KA those ones out back only get a small amount of shade...once the sun gets past the one tree
it's all sun...Their on the north side so their a little behind the ones out front...
Some in the front bed with the lilies and daylilies
I gave up trying to dig them out of here..LOL

I was gonna deadhead them all this year...I still have the seed pods from last years blooms
but i'll let the purple and white one go to seed if you want some seeds..
There's baby plants around it..but can't promise their all purple and white ones..LOL

Thumbnail by lilsista59

lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2010
5:11 PM

Post #7834550

More in the front bed...

Thumbnail by lilsista59

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7834742

my word, you are some kind of lucky! I'd love to have those things coming up every year.
kjuddy
(karen) Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #7834991

Here's a bloom on a NOID daylily I got at the October Swap - she's pretty no matter if she is a NOID.

Thumbnail by kjuddy

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
7:53 PM

Post #7835013

She is a pretty one!
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 28, 2010
3:47 AM

Post #7835473

Not blooming but a couple of my hosta. Blue Angel and A Many Spendored Thing in the front. Anyone on this thread collect hosta?
I am getting into the minis now.

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2010
4:28 AM

Post #7835498

They look good!!

yes many have tons of hosta on this list.
savagegardener
Middleton, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2010
4:35 AM

Post #7835510

I will be offline until at least tuesday, just to let you know

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 28, 2010
6:16 AM

Post #7835651

Sharon, I hope it is for some fun !! You need a break

Beautiful hosta Teresa, I have several, but don't consider myself a collector. Bonnie and Kim have oddles of them

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2010
7:19 AM

Post #7835817

I have lots of hosta also but don't really consider myself a collector of them. I have one area I've been adding new varieties of hostas. I've already posted this but you probably didn't see it. This is one my huge hostas. I've had this variety for over 20 years and don't know the name.

Thumbnail by cperdue

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 28, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #7835830

That's a beautiful Hosta -- as soon as mine begin to come up, the slugs start to chew holes in the leaves. That one would never have gotten very far in my yard! I'm trying beer this year (to kill the slugs) and so far, so good.

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2010
7:35 AM

Post #7835847

I've used beer too, but I've found it is cheaper and easier to use a commercial product. I use Bug-Getta by Ortho. It is for slugs and snails. They are little pellets I sprinkle out. There are other products by other companies - that;s just the one I've been using this year. I have a real slug and snail problem and have to put something out every couple of weeks. They even crawl up the back door of my house!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 28, 2010
8:01 AM

Post #7835893

Yikes! Do they eat other plants as well? I might just get some of that product. Pellets sound like they'd be more user-friendly...
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2010
9:13 AM

Post #7836056

Watered down Ammonia in a spray bottle is suppose to work too for slugs..
And they say it won't hurt the plants..So far it hasn't hurt any of mine
I haven't seen any slugs this year yet..but i've been spraying some of my beds with the ammonia mix to keep other critters out..Bears hate the smell...
gen2026
Camden, AR

May 28, 2010
9:32 AM

Post #7836104

Do you have to worry about BEARS??? and I thought my deer were bad!!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

May 28, 2010
9:58 AM

Post #7836199

Suddenly, my pesky squirrels are looking pretty good...
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2010
10:16 AM

Post #7836255

KA - thanks for the list. It is obvious that my Yamato Hime is correct based on that description.

Thumbnail by n2birds

n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2010
10:21 AM

Post #7836267

Hey Teresa - I do collect hostas. (You can see my collection on my journal.) I don't have alot of luck with the mini's though. I have tried them several different ways, but the voles seem to like them the best. Are you in the hosta swap over on the hosta forum ?
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2010
10:25 AM

Post #7836292

Here is my Kiyozuri Jap Iris (that is if it is labeled right)
I do like this one better than the Yamato Hime.

Thumbnail by n2birds

cperdue

cperdue
Little Rock, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2010
10:31 AM

Post #7836311

I think I'll try the ammonia. I have a real problem.
n2birds
Lakeland / Memphis, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2010
10:54 AM

Post #7836402

Be careful though Charlotte. I THINK I read on the hosta forum to mix 1 / 10 - 1part ammonia to 10 parts water. I have slept since though so not sure if that is what I was reading or not. :-(
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2010
11:11 AM

Post #7836525

pretty jap iris bonnie. I had 4 more open today.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

May 28, 2010
11:44 AM

Post #7836637

please continue here--it has been a beautiful week
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1102002/
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2010
7:01 AM

Post #7839058

On, mini hosta, COUNTRY GARDENS magazine had an article about mini hosta. They have them in a collection of McCoy planters. I don't know how they over winter them. It wasn't mentioned.

I would love to trade for a 3 or 4 of the Japances Iris later if anyone has extra. JLMK

Teresa

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-South Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-South Gardening forum! Terry 72 Jun 19, 2008 8:48 PM
Why Do Folks Love Living in the South? FlowrLady 174 Jan 21, 2008 1:12 AM
Look at my daffodils! chicochi3 37 Nov 6, 2007 4:00 PM
New to this forum corgimom 40 Jul 22, 2010 11:22 AM
Help!! My Hibiscus is ?????????? elamap 2 May 3, 2007 4:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America