Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

BirdFiles Pictures: Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)

Communities > Forums > BirdFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: BirdFiles PicturesReplies: 9, Views: 86
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
VaMtnDude
Basye, VA
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2010
2:24 PM

Post #7817467

Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/go/29/

Thumbnail by VaMtnDude
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 22, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #7817573

Great job MtnDude!!!
blackboard
Wolcott, CT

May 24, 2010
2:05 PM

Post #7823551

how do you get them to do that??????????????????
VaMtnDude
Basye, VA
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2010
4:29 PM

Post #7823922

[quote="blackboard"]how do you get them to do that??????????????????[/quote]

I just spend a lot of time out on my deck so they can become accustomed to my presence and know I'm not going to hurt them. Then I sit very still and quiet, and think happy thoughts! If there are a lot of them around, one is bound to eventually come to the feeder I'm holding. And since it doesn't have a perch, I just let them use my finger on the other hand for that!

By the way, if anyone thinks the photo has been altered, you can see the video version of it here:

http://www.vimeo.com/6741939

the1pony
(Pony) Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2010
2:15 AM

Post #7844877

Holy Toledo. I'm in awe. :)
FaithieAnn
Victoria, MN

May 31, 2010
11:05 PM

Post #7847677

That video is delightful! I wouldn't have been able to keep myself from at least cracking a smile :D Good Job! P.S. Have you ever tried your hand a playing Poker??? ;-))
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

June 1, 2010
1:47 AM

Post #7847756

That's amazing. It actually stuck its beak up your nostril!
VaMtnDude
Basye, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2010
6:24 AM

Post #7848069

To FaithieAnn: I've always regretted I wasn't smiling for this, but sometimes you have to sit perfectly still for a very long time before one will finally trust you and come to you. It gets really hard to hold a smile for that long without changing your expression! You may notice during the video that what scares it off my finger after a few seconds was an involuntary swallow on my part. My heart was beating so fast and hard, I just couldn't stop it! I've never played poker, but yes, I've been told I'm quite a "stone face". ;-)

To MargaretK: No, it didn't actually stick its beak in my nose. Just looks that way from the angle of the video. I could never have sat still through that! They do get very brave and dart at your face sometimes though, and I guess they must know how scary they are when they do that. Just trying to chase me away from their favorite feeder, like they do with each other!
FaithieAnn
Victoria, MN

June 1, 2010
9:06 PM

Post #7850663

Your videos of these charming little birds are wonderful --- you must have a very attractive habitat that is irresistible for them. Or maybe they are just fascinated by You ;-)) Thank you for sharing the time you spend with them!
VaMtnDude
Basye, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2010
10:14 PM

Post #7850777

Thank you very much, FaithieAnn. Actually, my garden is very small, but I do keep it about 99% dedicated to plants that hummers can eat from. I live in the woods on the side of a mountain, and I can't plant anything in the ground for several reasons -- very poor rocky soil, mostly shade from so many trees, and hordes of ravenous deer that stampede through every single night. Because of that, I'm limited to growing everything in containers on a small deck which is only about 300 square feet (some of which is occupied by a hot tub) and about 15 feet off the ground. (Ha, take that, deer!) Some things just won't grow well in containers, so I'm always experimenting to find things that suit my needs. I also keep several feeders hanging out on three sides of the house, especially before the flowers start blooming and during migration in late summer and fall. Most people think I'm just a freak who has a really strange obsession, but once in a while I do find people who understand my passion about it. I'm hoping to get some better pictures this summer because I recently bought a better digital camera, so stay tuned for more...! ;-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other BirdFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus) dave 4 Nov 10, 2010 7:18 PM
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis c. cardinalis) EricBrian 1 Sep 2, 2011 6:30 AM
Red-bellied woodpecker (Melanerpes m. carolinus) EricBrian 0 Dec 26, 2008 12:21 AM
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) DebinSC 0 Dec 26, 2008 12:28 AM
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) DebinSC 1 Dec 26, 2008 12:33 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America