Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Woodworking: Bathroom Closet Switch

Communities > Forums > Woodworking
bookmark
Forum: WoodworkingReplies: 5, Views: 107
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2010
7:21 AM

Post #7819344

After much work in the bathroom I did not like that the switch was so close to the door frame and so deep inside the room.
SOOO...next pic

Thumbnail by rentman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 23, 2010
7:31 AM

Post #7819371

Had a nice block of walnut, (I think) so cut it to extend the switch out, now to find two 6x32 screws 3 1/2".
I know this my not pass code...but the inspector live on the other side of town.

Thumbnail by rentman
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

May 25, 2010
2:40 AM

Post #7825034

hmmm, move to Missouri where there is no code...
To make it come up to code, I think that all you'd have to do is make the hole in the walnut big enough for that connector box and attach it to your wood and the studs. I'd feel a lot better knowing that the switch was in it's box and not up snug against flammable wood...Beautiful piece of wood, by the way and a good idea to fix the problem. I sure wish that the folks that build my house would have thought the light-switch placement problem out a little better. I have got some reaching to do for a couple of the rooms...
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 25, 2010
10:09 AM

Post #7826063

rentman, June makes a very good point about the switch terminals being so close to the wood and not protected by a box. There is a valid reason for most electrical codes. It seems to me that since you've done so much work on the bathroom remodel, (I notice there's "in-progress" drywall work) why not just move the box a little to the right. You can use the current box as a junction box to splice in the new piece of romex and add a box where ever you want it to be.
DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 25, 2010
10:10 AM

Post #7826067

Oh yeah! Nice looking piece of wood. I'd still use that as a cover plate.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2010
10:45 AM

Post #7826169

Ok, ok I can't move the existing box but I will enlarge the wood frame to accept a metal box.
I know that's the correct way, but was just a little short sighted, or was it lazy , ^^_^^
I do love wood and I hate to paint most of it, I think I'll just polyurethane this, shame it in the closet, no one will see.
This job was a major one, had to move the hot water heater, cutting a new trough in the concrete floor, laying more ceramic floor tile, then extending the heat vent in the ceiling. But it's complete, except for little more dry wall mud and painting.. Before we had Two doors into this bath , now there is one , like it should be.
Now back to the garden, just sold my little Boules cultivator, my son in law gave me a 6hp tiller and it is getting a work out.
Sure it hot here in Kentucky, Dwight

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Woodworking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Woodworkers unite! drdon 104 Mar 26, 2007 11:23 PM
Let's see your shop! drdon 64 Feb 16, 2009 2:15 PM
extreme birdhouses and more from recycled wood cranbrook2 222 Feb 27, 2012 5:37 AM
What woodworking projects are you planning? drdon 24 Sep 2, 2009 3:28 AM
Halloween Projects ezylivin 49 Oct 13, 2009 4:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America