Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Lovely Lamium: Lamium Maculatum as a ground cover

Communities > Forums > Article: Lovely Lamium
bookmark
Forum: Article: Lovely LamiumReplies: 3, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
danbrown
Amenia, NY

May 24, 2010
5:40 AM

Post #7822060

I looked for years for a decorative groundcover for under a very large crab apple in the front yard, near the road. We are in Zone 5a and road salt is an issue. I settled on Lamium and planted about 600 'Chequers' as small plants about 12" apart in well cultivated soil about 6 or 7 years ago. They have not disappointed. There is a profusion of flowers in mid-Spring and they continue to bloom until after frost in the fall. The edge is maintained by the mower. They seem to prefer full sun on the south and west sides, but do well in the shade of the apple as well. They have also self-seeded under the fir tree, in the tulips, the perrenial garden more than 50 feet away, and even in the cracks between bluestones on the steps. Friends and relatives have been the beneficiaries.
omasuziq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2010
3:01 PM

Post #7823712

Dan, 600 plants! You are a hero. Lamium is a wonderful groundcover: the spring blooms are welcome when there may be little else blooming, and the foliage is attractive after that for those for whom it doesn't even re-bloom. A great plant all around, as you've stated.
GardenJeanne
Saint Peters, MO

August 12, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9238746

Question about Lamium. What does it do in the winter in zones 5a/b? Does it die-back and then re-grow in the spring or stay evergreen? I'm hoping for erosion control on a hill and not sure it will provide that if it dies back.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2013
9:29 AM

Post #9695204

Well, this is a reply well after the fact but I have Purple Dragon and two other types. As noted, they self seed at will though not invasively so far. I have some in shade to indirect light and some in full sunlight. Of course our 'full' sunlight is very cool compared to others. It does sort of die back a little and I trim it up with scissors if it gets to wandering too much. But it will continue to creep along and spread easily with good sturdy roots. I should think it would make a great plant for erosion control. One year I cut back the leaves and left the mass of runners and it seemed like it took forever to revive. The ones out front in full sun looked totally dead this spring but by mid summer it was going gang busters, thick and green with flowers galore. Oh, as is noted, I live in Alaska along the southern coast. Pretty much zone 4-5

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Lovely Lamium Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love your lamium Hemophobic 3 Oct 13, 2008 1:24 PM
Lamiums LeathaStewart 1 Oct 11, 2008 9:50 PM
Lamium mykeac 0 Oct 13, 2008 8:11 AM
Lamium ajl 0 Oct 13, 2008 3:16 PM
purchase some lamium with golden foliage rigaut 1 Oct 15, 2008 2:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America