Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
skidbump
Hyde Park, NY

May 24, 2010
7:42 AM

Post #7822409

Earlier "april warm spell" i noticed honey and bumblebees at work on some heather.After a frost i saw none and none up until 2 weeks ago after i was let go.My salvia and catmint are in full bloom and have only seen a single bumblebee.Last year and years before you could not get near them do to the amount of bee's on flowers.So much so that i had a problem with tomato's in backyard not getting pollinated.
Any body else notice no bee's???
KateintheDesert
Willcox, AZ
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2010
8:45 AM

Post #7822621

I live in Arizona... and I also noticed a difference in the bee population here. In the early spring, when my flowering plum was in bloom, we had the usual amount of bees, then we had an unusual cold spell and since, the numbers have deminished. My sage plant, when it blooms, is always full of bees and this year for the first time there are very few. It worries me as they are a large part of the our eco system. We have had unusually cooler temperatures here and more constant winds, which might make the difference. It is odd though, that it is noticed in the east also. Thanks for letting us know. PS you might try using a small paint brush to pollinate your tomatos yourself, if you have only a few to do.
skidbump
Hyde Park, NY

May 24, 2010
11:09 AM

Post #7823014

KateintheDesert wrote: PS you might try using a small paint brush to pollinate your tomatos yourself, if you have only a few to do.

Ya thats what i did last yr. I also put 3 butterfly bushes in Vegy garden..Front yard is all butterfly/humming bird garden so it was a no brainer if you were a bee as to where the most food was.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America