Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

BirdFiles Pictures: Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)

Communities > Forums > BirdFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: BirdFiles PicturesReplies: 2, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Ryleighs_Da
Spring, TX

May 24, 2010
8:47 AM

Post #7822629

Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/go/7/

Thumbnail by Ryleighs_Da
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Ryleighs_Da
Spring, TX

May 24, 2010
8:56 AM

Post #7822648

When first I saw this jay it was obviously very heathy, the beak hadn't become quite so long yet. From other views I had of it, I assume it was hatched this way - doesn't seem to be from an injury. It was very capable of eating almost anything - would chop out pieces of things, including peanuts, sunflower seed and more, in the standard jay way, scoop it up with it's lower beak and toss it back into it's throat. Over a period of two months or so (March, April), it gradually began to have more trouble eating as the upper and lower manibles grew longer. Its feathers began to get very ragged (not able to preen properly) and although I really never saw it in weakened state, I could tell it was going downhill.

And then I never saw it again.

I guess maybe on second thought, though, it wasn't hatched this way, because this was a fully mature bird, not this year's youngster...so whatever caused the curvature in the beak was later in it's life, though I still don't think it was from an injury.

Da

This message was edited May 24, 2010 11:00 AM
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 24, 2010
2:11 PM

Post #7823564

Wow that's a shame.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other BirdFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus) dave 4 Nov 10, 2010 7:18 PM
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis c. cardinalis) EricBrian 1 Sep 2, 2011 6:30 AM
Red-bellied woodpecker (Melanerpes m. carolinus) EricBrian 0 Dec 26, 2008 12:21 AM
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) DebinSC 0 Dec 26, 2008 12:28 AM
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) DebinSC 1 Dec 26, 2008 12:33 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America