EZ cloner success stories

Hyde Park, NY

Anybody wanna spill and go into depth at what they cloned and what they used in cloner?

Winter Haven, FL(Zone 9b)

I made my own cloner using a rubbermaid tub, pond pump, some 1/2" poly tubing and micro-irrigation spray heads. I drilled 20 2" holes in the lid and hold the cuttings in there with some black foam rubber. I just use water and a tid-bit of peroxide. Works really well!

Hyde Park, NY

what have u cloned?

I easily clone bougainvilla, golden shrimp plants, passion vines, hibiscus, Currently I am cloning some hoyas. Brugmansias, Cordylines, and I recently cloned a dragon fruit.

Pacific Grove, CA

I clone lots of plants.....but just in vermiculite kept constantly damp.
Tell me more, Dan Kistner, about your method???

Well I just searched google for DIY Ez Clone and made it myself. A lot of people set their pump up on a timer but i just turn it on in the morning and off at night. It was very simple and the most expensive part was the pump which I had a spare one anyways from my aquarium. I will have to take some pictures tonight but it is fool proof. I simply connected the half inch Poly Tube (for drip irrigation) to the pump and made a circle (a "T" connects the loop to the pump). I put 6 1/4 mister nozzles spaced evenly around the ring pointing up and opposite so that the water sprays everywhere. I simply drilled 20 2" holes in the lid of the rubbermaid container (i think a 20 gal or something). There is this foam rubber that you use to cover copper piping for your AC unit, that was cheap and I cut it into 2" strips. Whenever I take cuttings, I dip the cuttings in rooting hormone then wrap the foam rubber around the middle of the cutting and plug that into one of the holes. I take 4 Shrimp plant cuttings a week (it only takes a week for them to have nice long roots in the cloner) Pot the 4 existing up and replace w/ 4 new cuttings. It is easy. Since the cloner is pretty well covered, water loss is very minimal. I have had the machine running in my greenhouse for a couple of months now and haven't had to add water yet. I just put a cap full of hydrogen peroxide in there (don't know exactly why but that is what other people do). If you were to build this machine from scratch, it would only cost you around $50-$60 (that is because the pond pumps run $40-$50.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I have just begun to be interested in cuttings and propagation and have had some limited successes.

Recently I saw this link to a video on how to set up a system (similar to what DanKistner did). http://simplyclems.com/cloning.htm

I went to Walmart and bought the parts and have set it up to clone honeysuckle, milkweeds, salvias, cupheas and a few other things. I think the parts are readily available at Aquarium stores too. I used foam to hold the cuttings in place.

Seems like a good cheap alternative to buying a ready made 'cloner'.

This message was edited May 29, 2010 6:14 PM

My thoughts EXACTLY. I am the type of person that wants everything but will find a way to make it myself! I already had a pump laying around so that canceled out the most expensive part of the project. It works great for me.

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

DanKistner, tabasco, I've wanted to make one, instead of doing it old fashioned. a friend of mine bought one she's had now for 5 years, and it has been very successful. she uses my rooting formulas which helped a lot and made it a lot less expensive to make up the solution. I think it costs about a dime. compared to what she bought at the hydroponic store she paid like $25 for 8oz conc. with only IBA as the only rooting hormone, which is standard. I use IBA, and NAA aka Indole Butric Acid and Naphalene Acetic Acid. I purchase from Caisson or Phytotec. powder 98% one small amount lasts me for 2 years. I use it mainly for all my transplanting, and uppotting my hybrid hosta seedlings, it's so cheap!!! I would neverbuy those in the stores, there's nothing to them, water with a vitamin B tablet in it. back to making a clone dome. I've been doing more and more cuttings and it is more efficient and quick to get them rooting. I have a huge mortality in the passive system even when using bottom heat, something always screws up. I might need to look more at the particular protocol of each species. but Anita doesn't seem to have a problem because of having a heated green house to go along with it. will look for the picture to make your cloner, thanks for the thread, Jim

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I made a couple out of 5 gallon buckets. Used a couple of fog-it heads. One in each bucket. That way I only need to do 9 or 10 at a time per bucket. I also made a larger one but like the small ones better.

The problem I ran into was that being in zone 5, the plants were dormant and didn't want to start early in the year. Now, this time of year, should be no problem.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the rooting hormone source tips, hostajim.

Jnette, do you buy the fog heads at the aquarium store? Maybe at a hydroponices store...?

Jnette, your right about the cold, and that it has been. I'm not doing the tea until it get warmer. it was so cold after my Hosta emerged that I got burned leaves on over half of them. they look like they were in a forest fire. a lot of other stuff is set back, the micro-bacteria won't get up to speed until the ground warms. I have plastic around all my tomatoes trying to hold some heat. I took them out of the green house when we had the 1 1/2 weeks of sun and planted them in the ground. it'll all come around like it did last summer, I hope. Jim

guys keep me posted on the fog heads, those would be in the cloner right? thanks, Jim

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

jim, do you have pictures of the hostas that look so bad? Please post if you do. That might be a problem another DGer has with her gardenias on the propagation forum. They look burned.

Guys, I don't remember where I got the fog-it heads but got them for my fuchsias. They go on the end of a hose. They loved the fog. (mist) different size sprays.

HOWEVER, a while back, I did a little research on them and looked at a label on one of them, and I think you can buy them on line in several places. Look at fog-it.com and try a few different things as there are several dollars difference in the price of them. They are all brass and I love them. My shade loving plants like fuchsias do too. But, I liked them in the cloner.

tabasco, that's a nice little unit, but would be too small for what I need, I will need to do several 100 at a time, of what I'm cloning at a time. my hardy Fuchsia variety collection is growing each year. and to get through cloning starts would take considerable time if I didn't do it on a large scale. rooting 2 weeks, then into starting soil mix. then be into a large enough pot root mass to go the winter. I have a ready market for the 1 year cuttings next Feb. then it's on to other species. bottom line a small amount wouldn't work for me. I'm getting good ideas here to make one soon. and get it up and running. I'm also working on a gelling agent for my rooting hormones. needs to stick to base of the cutting, long enough to initiate rooting, plus the solution in the reservior, what ppm to use that won't be too strong. might not need it. just dipping the cutting might be enough. and the constant mistin of the tips, get the job done in quick order. I've seen my friend stick cuttings and roots are forming in 3 days. and they're and 1" long in 7. these cloners do a great job. I suppose consan/20 or ponsan/20 will work for fungal problems. I bought it last fall when I started germinating my hosta hybrid seed. in sterile medium. and it virtually eliminated any problem I was having the previous years. Jim

there's a lot of Phytoteck Labratories demos on you tube, I think there might be some of using plant root stimulators, if anyone is interested. I use 1/32 teas of IBA, and 1/2 that of NAA to 1 liter of water for my rooting formula, Jim

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

So you have a business! Ok, do you find any problems going from water roots to soil roots? I understand there is a difference, almost like the water roots are "weaker". That may not be the right word.

Jnette, well when I start using a cloner I'll have to study that area, I know there's transitional formulas or technique for that. like in Micro-Propagation, step 1, step 2 , step 3 is rooting the explants and step 4 transition to media and they form the air roots, I'll have to review that with my hosta nursery contacts. they're always getting in hosta liners, and i look at them and notice the lack of the hair roots. but they should have had that step to media when they pot them up, right? thanks for the heads up, it's a nice reminder for me, when I get close to using the dome. Jim .

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Has anyone rooted rhododendrons or roses in one of these:

http://www.growlightexpress.com/cloners-propagation-33/

killdarabbit, looking at those, I'd think you could root a pencil, just kidding, wouldn't Roses, Rhododendron. be under the catagory of semi-hardwoood cutting. you should be able to set them in cloner, with dome as high humidity, they should root. Jim

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks. I know or have heard and read that rhododendrons are much harder to root and I wondered if anyone has had success. But I did go ahead and buy it. Now I should have shrubs and roses ready to plant in the fall instead of waiting till fall to stick cuttings in the ground which is my usual method. I hope it will give me bigger healthier plants sooner.
I will also see if I can root a pencil LOL

Lilburn, GA

Killdawabbit, let me know if you are successful at rooting the pencil.;o)

Has anyone rooted clematis with the cloner?

Thank you.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I would like to know that also, Lola. Plus I wonder if any conifers could be rooted as well.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

The use of a pump, mentioned in the earlier posts, is it for maintaing the purity of the water or for adding additional oxygen to the water, or both, or other?

It is to supply a "Mist" to the bottom of the cuttings which in turn "yes" aerates the water which is beneficial to the cuttings. Helps ward off disease from what I understand. The cuttings like a fine mist more than just sitting in water not getting near enough oxygen to the root zone.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Well, I got my ezclone yesterday. And I think I might have made a mistake. I obviously didn't do enough research. I don't see any way to keep the water between 68-72 degrees. I don't have air conditioning. Is the temperature really necessary? And if so could anyone tell me how to get it that way?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, Dan is in Florida so he must be able to tell you. Very curious.

Lilburn, GA

Hi Kill,

I don't think you need air conditioning for that temperature. It is quite warm.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

The temperature in my house and outside in the shade right now is 90 degrees. Would that be OK?

Lilburn, GA

Yes, I think it is OK.

You can't have them in freezing or hot water. The temperature you have will do just fine!:o)

I have lots of plants rooting in glasses filled with water at room temperature and they are doing well.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

I have a ton of 4" plastic pots that I could use for this sorta project, problem is, I hate to have to go 'buy' a rooting medium, can I use shredded paper? or packing peanuts to help keep the new cuttings upright till roots are established??

DG71, why? use what works, you can go buy a small bag of perlight/ vermiculite at the store, right? then keep it moist. stick the cuttings. Jim

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I know if I can root an Echinacea cutting in the EZ-Clone, then they should root just about anything.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

why?? because I'd rather use what I have rather than go buy something else...I don't have perlight/ vermiculite , but as business owners and having tons of paper daily, I shred it, most times I take to pet shops , they use it in the bottom of cages, I also mix it with soil in some of my extra large pots.

So was just wondering if anyone had used it for hydro medium. Same thing with the packing peanuts...have tons of it...just looking for another use rather than the landfill.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, packing peanuts. Have to tell you, years ago I came on the bright idea to use them in the bottom of my pots to make the pots lighter to move, and to be able to use less potting mix. At the end of the year when I cleaned up and put everything on the compost pile, I had forgotten that the pot had peanuts in it.

LOL, I can laugh about it now, but yes, I had them all over my yard. The wind blowing, oh what a mess.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

**LOL** That would have been a site!! I am thinking of using them because the air and mist would be able to move freely between, don't think the roots would actually go THRU them do ya?? Would be so much cleaner when I bare root ship!! *S*

Thanks for any feed back.

Lilburn, GA

Hi Dirtygirl, I think that shredded papper would get soggy and the cuttings would rot.

Why don't you try one or two in packing peanuts and see if they root. I think you should break the peanuts into small bits as the big pieces would not hold any water and the cuttings would not have any available humidity.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

good idea! and the more I thought about the paper, was about the same I came up with...

Utica, NY(Zone 4b)

where can I find those misting thingy ,,so I can make my owe cloner? I thought I saw a cloner that had bubble bars

Lake Charles, LA

Hmmm, I may look into making one. What size pump do I need?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images