Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Peonies: tips to divide peonys

Communities > Forums > Peonies
bookmark
Forum: PeoniesReplies: 3, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2010
12:34 PM

Post #7823282

I have a row of HUGE peonys. I really don't want them so big. I don't want to dig up the whole thing though either, because I think it could be bad on them. So I was wondering about getting a large knife, hand saw? and cut them down through the middle and then scoop out one side all the way down the row. Then I could just back fill the soil where I take them out. Is that a stupid idea? They are just so big, I don't know if I CAN dig them all the way up. They are probably 4 feet wide, 12 feet long. The old fashioned double whites that smell really strong. They have multiple branching, and slightly light pink petals around the outside. Then a really full doulbe puff in the middle, that is huge.

any advice?

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2010
3:54 PM

Post #7823836

Don't do it till fall. So, you're going to dig two feet of a four feet swath of peony? Got a back hoe? Remember, once you dig them you need to divide them down. Good luck and have fun.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2010
7:22 AM

Post #7825527

No I wouldn't need to divide them down any further? Each bush is individual, I don't think they are grown together much. I just wanted to know if anyone has succesfully divided them by just digging out one side, and not having to dig up the whole thing. I have moved them before when they were very large, but I just dug up the whole thing, and then planted the whole thing in a different spot.

yes, I know to wait till fall. Too hot now anyway to be outside too much.
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

May 25, 2010
3:10 PM

Post #7827111

It can be done by using a very sharp shovel. You may find that what you are wanting to remove is just a hollowed out root. If it is as long as it has some eyes and a few roots it can be replanted. It can take several years to develop the normal root structure.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peonies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fen Dan Bai Tree Peony RDT 10 Oct 4, 2012 12:02 AM
Dividing Peonies garyt 61 Nov 24, 2010 2:32 PM
Peonies and sun or lack of same butterflywi 18 Feb 15, 2011 5:21 AM
looking for peony can trade perennial plants jeaninpgh 5 Oct 7, 2012 3:04 PM
Dried out "cover" on peony buds DonnaMack 28 Jun 8, 2007 12:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America