Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

tips to divide peonys

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I have a row of HUGE peonys. I really don't want them so big. I don't want to dig up the whole thing though either, because I think it could be bad on them. So I was wondering about getting a large knife, hand saw? and cut them down through the middle and then scoop out one side all the way down the row. Then I could just back fill the soil where I take them out. Is that a stupid idea? They are just so big, I don't know if I CAN dig them all the way up. They are probably 4 feet wide, 12 feet long. The old fashioned double whites that smell really strong. They have multiple branching, and slightly light pink petals around the outside. Then a really full doulbe puff in the middle, that is huge.

any advice?

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Don't do it till fall. So, you're going to dig two feet of a four feet swath of peony? Got a back hoe? Remember, once you dig them you need to divide them down. Good luck and have fun.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

No I wouldn't need to divide them down any further? Each bush is individual, I don't think they are grown together much. I just wanted to know if anyone has succesfully divided them by just digging out one side, and not having to dig up the whole thing. I have moved them before when they were very large, but I just dug up the whole thing, and then planted the whole thing in a different spot.

yes, I know to wait till fall. Too hot now anyway to be outside too much.

Kansas City, MO

It can be done by using a very sharp shovel. You may find that what you are wanting to remove is just a hollowed out root. If it is as long as it has some eyes and a few roots it can be replanted. It can take several years to develop the normal root structure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.