Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Uncommon Common Barberry: Barberry

Communities > Forums > Article: Uncommon Common Barberry
bookmark
Forum: Article: Uncommon Common BarberryReplies: 4, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Inodora1
West Bloomfield, MI

May 24, 2010
1:06 PM

Post #7823400

Perhaps a coincidence, but I just bought 2 of these today from our local nursery, unaware of the history behind it (will have to tell my mother about the "crown of thorns" reference). I'm torn as to which location I should plant them. I'm told they need mostly sun, but I have a front area that only gets dappled sun, at best. Really wanted to try Ninebark, but that also needs mostly sun. Do you know if it would affect the color if I planted it anyway??

Regardless, enjoyed your post.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7824464

Hi Inodora...good to hear from you again.

Dappled sun should be fine, I think. As I remember, that's what they got in the mountains.

Try it and see, if it doesn't grow, you can always move it next year.
Let me know what happens...

And thanks!
Inodora1
West Bloomfield, MI

May 31, 2010
1:26 PM

Post #7846258

I am still considering planting these. Not because of the light factor (found another area I could plant the barberry), but I now realize how bad the thorns are. (I had been warned about them from someone, but thought, How bad could they be??) Well, I found slivers in my hands that were needle thin. I've also since read about how they can carry tics. Have you heard of this?? The article even says they are trying to get people to stop planting them for many reasons. Ever hear of this??
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2010
7:59 PM

Post #7847432

Hello again...

I do know about the thorns, but never heard about carrying ticks. So I don't really know what to tell you.

Maybe a spray?
Not sure.

Sorry...I'm no help, am I?
Inodora1
West Bloomfield, MI

June 2, 2010
1:08 PM

Post #7852526

That's okay, enjoy the feedback anyway. I'm learning a lot from these sites. I did somewhere read that a movement was being made to discourage people from growing barberry. I thought it was interesting (don't remember where I saw it,tho). It had something to do with it promoting weed growth and transferring tics. Strange, Huh, since many are grown here commercially.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Uncommon Common Barberry Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A plant for all seasons! gloria125 14 Jun 11, 2010 6:46 PM
Barberry, A miracle plant 3pmp 1 May 24, 2010 7:30 PM
Childhood plants dordee 0 Sep 19, 2011 8:16 AM
Now classified as 'lesser threat' VeraLenora 0 Sep 19, 2011 2:17 PM
Old family remedies moonrose777 0 Sep 20, 2011 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America