Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Propagation: Coral Honeysuckle, Lonicera Sempervirens progration

Communities > Forums > Propagation
bookmark
Forum: PropagationReplies: 7, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ColibriGardener
Baker, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2010
9:01 PM

Post #7824715

Can anyone suggest the best way to propagate coral honeysuckle? I've tried several times and have failed each time.

Thanks for your help!
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
9:24 AM

Post #7825917

I rooted these in the window last year in a glass of water. Try a cutting in water in the window.
ColibriGardener
Baker, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2010
9:30 AM

Post #7825936

Thanks for the advice. Was it a green cutting or a more woody cutting?
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2010
10:05 AM

Post #7826040

It was green, but not a young tip cutting. I'm rooting some new cuttings and this time I'm rooting them in 50% vermiculite and 50% sphagnum moss. I dipped them in Clonex purple gel, but it's not required. I put mine in a small pot and stuck them in a gallon milk jug that I cut and made into a small greenhouse. This also filters the light some too. Hope this helps! They are pretty easy to root. It's just a matter of not letting them wilt and get too hot.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2010
1:46 PM

Post #7826772

Another way to try propagation by 'layering': take a long vine (still connected to the mother plant) and secure it to the damp soil with a stone. After a couple of weeks it may root and you can clip it off and pot up the rooted cutting and have a new plant.

Here's a better explanation from NC State: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8701.html

I have heard this works very well with Coral Honeysuckles and I am trying it now with mine.
ColibriGardener
Baker, LA
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2010
2:41 PM

Post #7827041

Thanks for the suggestions! Tabasco, the one I have now, I actually did that, and it was a good thing too as the mother plant died. I'm afraid I'm losing the matured baby and I want to propagate it before that happens. I just don't have any long vines to do it again.
echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN
(Zone 7b)

May 27, 2010
7:43 AM

Post #7832730

I am trying several cuttings of these now. The ones in the glass of water in the window are by far the best of the bunch.

If you are wanting to actually take cuttings from the plant and root them, the glass of water in the window method can't be beat. However, if you are wanting to root them in soil, then the way recommended above can't be beat. It's all a matter of which way you want to go. The method of taking a cutting putting it in a mix to root doesn't seem to be as effective to me as those other two ways of rooting them.
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 27, 2010
9:34 AM

Post #7833110

You have encouraged me to clip some lonicera cuttings and I have them in water on the window sill.

I would like to get very good at this cuttings 'thing'. It seems a great way to stretch the garden dollar!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 281 Jun 13, 2011 9:12 AM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America