Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beekeeping: just starting out...

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 6, Views: 112
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

May 25, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #7827352

My bee's are arriving in the next day or so. How long do I have to provide the sugar water?
FertiSorb
Harvard, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #7827933

We got our first batch about a month ago. The hives are being handled by a professional beekeeper, and he's still adding the sugar water. It probably depends on how much natural sugars are available. You certainly are further ahead with blooming plants than we are in Northern Illinois. If there's a beekeeping group in your area, they'll probably be a good source of information and support. Good luck.

Thumbnail by FertiSorb
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JsHoney
Forestville, NY

May 25, 2010
11:40 PM

Post #7828435

It all depends on the nectar flow and how strong your hive is. The best way is check your hive once a week and look for white caped combs of store honey or sugar water stop feeding. Me I only feed up till there a nectar flow then I stop feeding. There some beekeepers out there that don't even feed. I also recommend brood builder patties it help build your brood faster.
okieyard
Locust Grove, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2010
5:57 AM

Post #7828761

I just started this year also. I installed the bees in early April and used frame feeders. I filled them twice and then so many things were blooming, I stopped. They are doing great! okiebee.webs.com
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

June 8, 2010
7:47 AM

Post #7869487

I checked the hive yesterday, and they are making good looking combs. Is that a good indicator that they don't need to be fed anymore by me?
beesupplies
Quezon city
Philippines

July 20, 2010
8:00 PM

Post #7984709

For more advices about bee equipment and Beekeeping Supplies, I've listed all here! -- www.beekeepingsuccess.com
keithbeekeeper
quezon city
Philippines

July 27, 2010
7:53 AM

Post #7999840

as a responsible bee keeper, it depends on how fast your bees gather honey nearby your place. if they cant find any sufficient supply of natural sugar, you still have to provide them with sugar water. - http://www.beekeepingsuccess.com/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America