Photo by Melody

Article: Buying, Transplanting, and Caring for Bareroot Plants: I hope someone sees this soon...

Communities > Forums > Article: Buying, Transplanting, and Caring for Bareroot Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Buying, Transplanting, and Caring for Bareroot PlantsReplies: 1, Views: 11
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DramaBB82
Devon, PA

May 27, 2010
8:20 AM

Post #7832834

At the beginning of this week I placed an order for several bareroot plants and in my excitement, forgot that I'll be away all of next week- they are supposed to be delivered on June 2, but I won't be home until June 6! Ugh!

I made many attempts to delay the shipment, but received no help from the company until it was too late. Now I am writing because I wanted to know if I had any hope for these plants. I have neighbors, but I cannot trouble them with complicated gardening tasks when they will have no way to contact me. Is there anything simple they can do to keep the plants well until I can plant them when I get home? Should they be unpacked? Should they be moved into a cool place indoors? Or is it pretty much hopeless at this point? Maybe the type of plant matters...Here is a list of what I ordered. Thank you so much for any help/advice/hope you can give me:

-Brilliant Red Oriental Poppy: No 1 Bareroot
-Hardy Sweet Lavender: No 1 Bareroot
-Giant Columbine: No 1 Bareroot

Signed,
Terribly Worried Amanda
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
5:23 PM

Post #7834585

I would recommend unpacking the plants to see what condition they're in. If they look healthy, they might be okay in their packaging for several days until you can get them planted. Don't let them dry out in their packaging, if some are starting to sprout, that's a sign that they're doing okay.

I have had luck keeping bare root plants for several days in a bucket of water. Fill the bucket with just enough water to cover the roots and keep the bucket in a shady area.

Good luck!

TC

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Buying, Transplanting, and Caring for Bareroot Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
excellent marti001 2 Feb 8, 2010 6:08 PM
That was helpful to read sassy1936 1 Feb 8, 2010 3:17 AM
Good as always.... VGMKY 1 Feb 8, 2010 3:16 AM
WHERE WOULD I FIND? Montana2955 1 Feb 1, 2010 4:57 PM
Bare Root Plants rutholive 1 Feb 8, 2010 3:15 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America