Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: The Mulberry Tree: Is it a Friend or a Foe? Is it Wonderful Fruit or Free Bird Food?: My Mulberry and Me

Communities > Forums > Article: The Mulberry Tree: Is it a Friend or a Foe? Is it Wonderful Fruit or Free Bird Food?
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Mulberry Tree: Is it a Friend or a Foe? Is it Wonderful Fruit or Free Bird Food?Replies: 1, Views: 5
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Toots136
Glendale, AZ

May 27, 2010
8:27 PM

Post #7835085

I live in Arizona and when I moved into my home 16 years ago, my garden area faced west and it's hottest here during the late afternoon hours. I needed shade trees and my neighbor gave me a handful of Mulberry tree seedlings. I planted all of them together, 5, not thinking. Within 5 years they had grown together giving me perfect shade for the area. I planted wormwood and mugwort around the trees and watered faithfully. Then the fruit began to appear, white berries. Didn't think much of it, thought they were kind of pretty. As they ripened, they fell. As the sun beat down on them, they began to ferment. I had created my own winery. The smell, the flies, the bees, the hornets, not to mention the birds, who didn't eat nearly enough of them. So, every morning for about 2 weeks you would find me out there shaking the tree, sweeping the fruit up and putting them in my compost pile. Every morning. I hated those trees!! But I loved the shade. I endured for another 10 years. Then I moved around the corner to a larger place, more garden area. Never gave the Mulberry trees another thought. Potted up the plants I planned to take with me and left. Since I now live around the corner and the place has not sold, I occasionally go over to reclaim some Acanthus sprouts that keep on coming up. I noticed that April had passed and there had been no fruit from the Mulberry. I realized that that was because Management had not watered. A lot of the plants that I had brought with me are still in pots and just a few days ago, I noticed something strange in one of them. A Mulberry baby!! I need shade here too and it will stay. Love, hate, we will tolerate each other as we have done in the past. Anyway, I think of the cleanup as my morning exercise.

Aunt_A

May 29, 2010
11:51 AM

Post #7839964

:-)

Thanks for writing!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Mulberry Tree: Is it a Friend or a Foe? Is it Wonderful Fruit or Free Bird Food? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Bright pink custard! :) chrissy100 14 May 29, 2010 11:56 AM
Purple Feet! critterologist 3 Sep 15, 2008 10:05 AM
Argh! Mulberry trees! LTilton 8 Jun 16, 2010 10:05 AM
That tree's days are numbered ic_conifers 3 Mar 19, 2008 1:27 PM
Love them MitchF 8 Jun 13, 2012 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America