Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Herbs: Help! Lemon Verbena

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 8, Views: 97
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mezoe
Seward, NE
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2010
8:31 PM

Post #7835095

I just transplanted some lemon verbena from 3 inch pots to 8 inch pots.
The plants were very healthy when I bought them and a nice green, fantastic lemon scent.
Now today I see that the leaves feel like they are drying up.
They have been watered and are in full sun.
The potting soil was new miraclegro. Did I do something wrong?
What do I need to do to revive them?

Thank you for your help.
herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

May 28, 2010
5:04 AM

Post #7835556

Sometimes, lemon verbena hates being moved from one place to another. It will go into sulking mode and lose its leaves. This happens to my plant when I bring it inside for the winter. Don't lose hope yet. Usually, given a little time (like a week or so), the lemon verbena will put out new leaves. Good luck!
edgeoftheworld
Conneaut, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2010
5:47 PM

Post #7837665

It is a hardy plant.I have had mine for years.A few times I thought it was dying.It always springs back and puts out new growth.Edge
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2010
5:50 PM

Post #7837679

Edge ~ do you offer winter protection?
edgeoftheworld
Conneaut, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2010
5:56 PM

Post #7837698

Pod,I keep it in a pot.I keep it in my unheated sunroom in winter.It goes totally dormant.All the leaves fall off.It looks pretty dead all winter. I prune it back.Always comes back to life in the spring.Edge
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2010
6:47 PM

Post #7837911

And that is good to know... thanks! I've made lemon verbena jelly with fresh leaves and used it in teas. Now I wonder if you could use the leaves after they drop.
mezoe
Seward, NE
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2010
2:22 PM

Post #7843251

This winter I could put the pots of them in my basement. It is heated but I wonder if they would so OK like that any way or should I just bring them in and put them in sun light?
mwhit
Tiffin, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7844011

mezoe, I have a lemon verbena that I put in our unheated basement under florescent lights on a timer. I water it sparingly, prune it back a little in spring and put it outside for the summer in the herb garden (full sun). I do the same with a small bay tree, a lemon tree and my rosemary. The rosemary is pretty iffy-some years it does OK some years it doesn't make it.The others all do fine. We are zone 5. MW
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2010
6:38 AM

Post #7845165

I was able to keep mine going all winter in southern window, leaves and all. I was expecting the leaves to drop but they never did.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America