Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Talk: Help with Basil propagation

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 3, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mezoe
Seward, NE
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2010
4:30 AM

Post #7835500

I just am new to the world of herbs, and so is my daughter. We decided to jump in together and try this new world together and see how it goes! I'm sure we will love it!
I just found a new one, the Boxwood Basil. I have never heard of it but I'm sure many of you have.

A small piece broke off so I thought that I would try my hand at propagation.
So far I have the raw end sitting in water.

What it next? I do have a rooting hormone, do I need to use that too?
I did post this is the herb section but got no replies.

Thank You for your help.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2010
6:24 PM

Post #7843887

Hi, basil is an annual, so I don't think that rooting will work. I did plant the globe basil once..wonderful to work in, but not so much useful for pesto making (large leaf works better for this)

I would recommend that you get the seeds and start them in area that isn't getting hit by all day sun. Using the info on the package re: planting depth is vital...I have planted things too deep one too many times!

I am behind on my planting and seeing as how we have been having AUG. weather..I haven't seeded the bed..we are supposed to be back to May weather tomorrow...after (hopefully) a nice rain tonight...then the basil for pesto..yum!!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2010
6:19 AM

Post #7854553

mezoe - any roots yet on the basil?
gardenbugde
Smyrna, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2011
6:16 AM

Post #8308088

Did your basil ever root? I've rooted many basil cuttings in water. You want to make sure that it's a "fresh" piece that is pliable and not woody. You can try rooting hormone powder too. Either method should work. Basil likes sun, so make sure it gets plenty when you plant it outside. Good luck!

Kathy in Delaware

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America