Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Talk: need help finding a flowering plant from an heirloom garden

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 12, Views: 91
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
huskerruth
Scribner, NE

May 28, 2010
8:46 PM

Post #7838277

I am new to this site but have enjoyed many of its free features. I took the plunge and became a subscriber because I have a mission. I am looking for a plant that was in my grandfather's garden in the 1960's and early 70's.
I have no idea how long he had it so it could be a really old plant. It grew under his spruce trees along with the Virginia Bluebells and bloomed about the same time. It had bright yellow flowers that were round and not much more than a centimeter or two in diameter. The petals were glossy, or waxy looking. The center of the flower was green. We called them "yellow buttons" but when I search the web with that name, the hits I get are definitely not what I remember.
I loved this plant as a kid because it was so bright and the waxy petals were slick and fun to pull apart and use as natural confetti. The spread a lot just like the bluebells if I remember correctly.
My grandpa's garden was in northeast Nebraska so the plant was growing in zone 4.
Thanks for your help and I look forward to getting to know this site and its regulars better.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2010
10:29 AM

Post #7839703

If you don't find an answer on this thread may I suggest going to your Regional Forum. They may have more ideas on what it might have been.

What was the height of the plant and what season did it bloom?
huskerruth
Scribner, NE

May 29, 2010
10:01 PM

Post #7841521

It was only about 8-12 inches tall and bloomed early May I think. It bloomed whenever the Virginia Bluebells bloomed here in Nebraska. I will try one of the regional forums, thanks.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2010
6:29 AM

Post #7841918

Good luck. I hope you find out the name of it.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2010
9:51 AM

Post #7842480

Sounds like creeping buttercup (Ranunculus repens). It's a weed here. I rip them out constantly. I haven't gotten to them quick enough this year and they're dropping seeds. Is this what you want:

http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/species_query.cgi?where-calrecnum=7056

If so, I can send you a boxful for postage. They may not have flowers on them anymore, but maybe I can find some that do.

NancyAnn
huskerruth
Scribner, NE

May 30, 2010
11:40 AM

Post #7842797

Sorry Butterfly, can't take those off your hands. That isn't the one I am looking for. These had petals arranged so it looked like a mound of yellow. I know there is a scientific term but can't get to it right now.
Thanks for your response.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2010
11:57 AM

Post #7842848

Could it be a strawflower (helichrysum) then?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/750/

If not, I'll keep thinking.

NancyAnn
huskerruth
Scribner, NE

May 30, 2010
12:52 PM

Post #7843027

Nope not that one either. Thanks for trying.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2010
2:12 PM

Post #7843226

Well, now I'm going to be watching to see what it is. You've got me curious. Have you posted the question on the plant identification forum? Those folks over there are GOOD!
huskerruth
Scribner, NE

May 31, 2010
5:13 PM

Post #7846945

Thanks butterfly, I will post there post haste. Thanks.
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2010
10:13 AM

Post #7848679

How about the double buttercup? It flowers about the same time.

Just checked your list..looks like that to me. I just got some for another person (traded some of my plants to a local gardener who was thinning hers out) I kept a plant..but haven't checked on it. Will do that today.
If it is still viable, it is yours. I would do postage..anything else you need, to make the best use of the postage costs?

This message was edited Jun 1, 2010 11:16 AM
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2010
2:22 PM

Post #7870475

Possibly Trollius or Eranthis? Both have leaves that are a little glossy. Trollius is taller, Eranthis shorter.
huskerruth
Scribner, NE

June 8, 2010
8:04 PM

Post #7871361

Finally found it. The double buttercup fits the description. Thanks everyone for helping me in my quest.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America