acidophilous and yogurt

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

My beagle is taking antibiotics. The vet said to feed him a little yogurt but he won't eat it. Is the acidophilous culture the same as the yogurt culture or will it do the same thing to balance his digestive system?

Chester Springs, PA

Not sure if it will be the same in animals, but I don't see why not... I take probiotics (capsules) as I'm on long term antibiotics and they keep my stomach perfectly fine. You can break up the capsules and shake the powder onto food which might make it easier for your dog!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I don't really know what probiotics means......

Chester Springs, PA

"probiotics" are basically the good bacteria that live in the digestive system and help keep everything in balance, the best probiotics capsules will have a mix that probably includes acidophilus (a type of probiotic) but might include other ones as well.

It's best not to take the probiotics and the antibiotics at the same time as the antibiotics will kill the good bacteria as well as the bad bacteria (which is why they are recommended while taking antibiotics), several hours apart, or in between doses will help while your dog's on the antibiotics and then a week or two of probiotics after the antibiotics are finished should restore the balance of good bacteria. You can get intensive probiotic courses designed for that.

I order mine from vitacost.com if you are looking for somewhere - they have a lot to choose from. My preference is the Nature's Way brand, I can recommend it and say it works well, but I don't really know about any other ones.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images