Post #7844107

should i repot my snake plant in cactus soil or a mix of soil? thanks
XMelissaX
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2010
11:32 PM

Post #7844790

I don't remember what type of soil mine are planted in. I wanted to ask what size pot your's is growing in? I've always heard that snake plants should be left in their pot until they are practically 'breaking' the pot...I've kept mine in the same pot (topdress only) for maybe 4-5 years. Last summer my snake plants flowered! I was thoroughly impressed (sorry for the bragging); I didn't think it was possible to get them to flower indoors. Now, of course, no plants really "like" to be rootbound - it's not natural but just thought I'd like to pass this info along...

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2010
4:36 AM

Post #7844967

The plant doesn't actually like being root bound at all. It just doesn't tolerate wet feet well, and a small volume of soil filled with roots guarantees that the moisture is used up quickly so air can return to the soil in a short time. You can accomplish the same thing in a very large pot (if you prefer), which will allow the plant to grow much more rapidly, by using a very fast and porous soil.

Al

Thumbnail by tapla
Click the image for an enlarged view.

XMelissaX
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2010
11:48 PM

Post #7847704

Might I ask what the picture is for as I'm not fully understanding it?
tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

June 1, 2010
3:51 AM

Post #7847832

I just use professional growers mix or perennial mix. Most of my snake plants are in a gallon size pot.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2010
11:25 AM

Post #7848902

The picture is the soil I've been growing all my houseplants in for about 20 years. It's extremely healthy for roots, the heart of the plant, and allows your plants to grow much closer to their genetic potential within the limits of other cultural factors than anything I've ever seen 'over the counter'. It eliminates soggy, compacted, collapsing soils entirely, and allows you to water properly with no worries about root rot or salt build up.

Al

Thumbnail by tapla

XMelissaX
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 1, 2010
10:50 PM

Post #7850812

Thank you for clarifying. The reason I asked was I use a mix with perlite, vermiculite, and sometimes decorative pea gravel and rocks as a 'dressing' layer for my cactus garden and wasn't sure what you were refering to in the pic. Does this mix hold nutrients well as I've heard soil-less mixes don't and need to be supplemented? Yes, I do understand the benefits and have used mixes similar- I'm just strictly asking about the nutrients.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2010
6:08 AM

Post #7851256

The Turface component of the soil has a very good CEC, and the bark holds some nutrients. Because of their low bulk density, container media all typically hold nutrients poorly when compared to mineral (garden/topsoil) soils, so need to be supplemented regularly with a complete nutrition program. It would be wise to move forward with your containerized plants as though the medium supplies nothing at all in the way of nutrition, that you are completely responsible for taking care of those needs for your plant

Gardening in containers is much closer to hydroponics than it is to growing in the ground, and requires a look from a different perspective to achieve the best results and to make your life easier/efforts more rewarding.

More about fertilizing containers here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/783660/

Al
midshadow
Windsor, ON

June 2, 2010
7:49 PM

Post #7853768

My plant is in a 6 in. pot. I was just going a little bigger and wondering what kind of soil to use. I already have some cactus soil. Is it ok? or just regular potting soil? thanks
XMelissaX
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2010
2:26 AM

Post #7854130

Sorry, didn't mean to 'steal' your thread ..
I think either one would be fine

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2010
5:23 AM

Post #7854347

It's true that either of the soils you mentioned can be made to work, but it's not at all difficult to build a soil that will work particularly well. It all depends on what you're willing to put into your growing efforts, but since you're asking questions in an effort to learn, I'm guessing that it is of some importance to you that your plants do as well as they can.

A good understanding of soils and how water behaves in soils will go a long way toward improving your successes and the satisfaction you get from tending ALL your plants in containers, not to mention how much easier it makes things. If you're interested, you can find a lot of information, some basic - some detailed, here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/796311/?hl=soil discussion

Al

This message was edited Jun 3, 2010 7:24 AM

Thumbnail by tapla

tishrh
Mount Vernon, OH

June 3, 2010
5:37 AM

Post #7854393

either potting or cactus would be fine. I use potting mix but know people that use the cactus. They just like a good draining soil
midshadow
Windsor, ON

June 3, 2010
6:57 PM

Post #7856743

thanks everyone. i think i will mix cactus soil, and some perlite, and maybe some potting soil.
bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2010
2:38 PM

Post #7922921

Are you talking about Sansevieria? If yes: I had to divide mine this spring. They tend to crack your average "vessel" to just let you know, that they need to be repotted. If it is something in the vicinity of S. trifasciata, then dig it up, take a sharp knife, and cut away... My totally overexposed Sansevieria is now getting ready to bloom after being mistreated for almost a year (Way too many cuttings taken, being divided, being exposed to way too much sun...) and many cuttings have already been given away. Mind you: I bought the "Mother" about 2 years ago at Menard's at Michigan City, Indiana as a rather straggly, little thing...
AliceJ
mississauga
Canada

October 22, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9312342

Hi tapla,

Would you mind telling me how to create the soil you use for your house plants? I saw a lot of small stone like things in it other than roots. If you can provide your receipe that will be great and much appreciated!

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9312409

Hi, Alice. I'll link you to the container gardening forum. The very top sticky thread is the most recent and it has some soil recipes (including the one pictured above), but more importantly, the concept that makes the soils so easy to grow in and productive is explained there. I think an understanding of the CONCEPT represents the largest step forward a container gardener can take at any one time. I also think you'll be able to see by the comments other growers have left on the thread, that if you chase this far enough you'll be glad you did. The information has made a significant difference in not only how a large number of growers presently grow, but also in how much more they're able to get from the growing experience with less effort.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/containers/all/

I think every thread provides the opportunity to be helpful, but not every thread leaves you feeling like you've helped, which is the reason I spend time at Dave's ... to feel like I've helped. So, thank you for your interest and for keeping alive the possibility that someone will gain from what I offered. If you do, so do we both. ;-)

If you have questions, please be sure to voice them.

Al

This message was edited Oct 22, 2012 3:55 PM

Thumbnail by tapla

AliceJ
mississauga
Canada

October 22, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9312451

Thank you so much Tapla for your prompt response! I definitely will check out when I have time and believe it will be very helpful to me as I'm just a beginner of indoor planting.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America